Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Amergin posted:

jealous beta male

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It seems like a disproportionate number of doctors, lawyers, and engineers - generally smart people, are conservative. I first noticed this when reading about the origins of Al Quaeda, and how a lot of extremists come from otherwise affluent engineering and medical backgrounds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This really bugs me. Which one is it? Are you admitting you were wrong that women should just trust the system to get equal pay, or were you "inarticulate", thus having the right idea but you expressed it the wrong way? It can't be both.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Boon posted:

It seems like a disproportionate number of doctors, lawyers, and engineers - generally smart people, are conservative. I first noticed this when reading about the origins of Al Quaeda, and how a lot of extremists come from otherwise affluent engineering and medical backgrounds.

All of those fields deal with narrow realms of knowledge where there are usually "right" or "wrong" answers. It makes it easier to start looking at the problems of the world around you in similar ways.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Glad we fixed our healthcare

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2014/10/10/Ebola-Patient-Needs-500000-Cover-Medical-Bills

edit: Well, he's white, so maybe people will care.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cheekio posted:

Glad we fixed our healthcare

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2014/10/10/Ebola-Patient-Needs-500000-Cover-Medical-Bills

edit: Well, he's white, so maybe people will care.

It's pretty hosed up NBC isn't covering this as a PR move. This is a workplace related illness.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, he had travelers insurance, that's got to be good for something, right?

quote:

The cost of the evacuation flight from Liberia to Omaha alone cost $150,000, not including the 40-person medical team that accompanied him on the flight, according to the campaign. Mukpo did have travelers’ insurance, but the policy excludes “catastrophic events or outbreaks,” and won’t pay for the treatment, the GoFundMe campaign says.

Trabisnikof posted:

It's pretty hosed up NBC isn't covering this as a PR move. This is a workplace related illness.

edit: Yeah, he's an independent contractor and it would be bad precedent to provide for them beyond a bimonthly paycheck.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 10, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

gently caress this country.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trabisnikof posted:

All of those fields deal with narrow realms of knowledge where there are usually "right" or "wrong" answers. It makes it easier to start looking at the problems of the world around you in similar ways.

And also tend to be high-paying, leading to the FYGM mentality in degrees and losing touch with those not as well off.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pohl posted:

Have you ever talked to a corporate lawyer?

<anecdote about friend excised>

Yes. I have definitely talked to a number of the ~200 corporate lawyers I work with. In Washington DC where talking about politics actually does happen in the workplace. The majority are liberal, including on economic issues (on social issues, it's a vast majority). Look! We both have anecdotes on our side!

(I've also looked at donation patterns for lawyers and surveys of self-expressed affiliation based on employment, both of which support my point with real data, unlike your "my friend" story.)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm not sure about lawyers, but Democrats buy the most campaign ads on 'Judge' shows.

Republicans target the nightly news.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalman posted:

Yes. I have definitely talked to a number of the ~200 corporate lawyers I work with. In Washington DC where talking about politics actually does happen in the workplace. The majority are liberal, including on economic issues (on social issues, it's a vast majority). Look! We both have anecdotes on our side!

(I've also looked at donation patterns for lawyers and surveys of self-expressed affiliation based on employment, both of which support my point with real data, unlike your "my friend" story.)

A paralegal idolizing lawyers :monocle:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
everyone (except for the fedsoc insurgency) begins law school as an idealistic liberal and leaves a self-hating whore. the ones that change their politics are the ones that are better at rationalizing their decisions.

edit: initially wrote self hating horror by accident, still appropriate

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Yeah, by all means let's take issue with the assertion that people in sales and marketing are aggressive dillholes with no capacity for introspection. AIM FOR VICTORY IN THE BATTLE YOUVE CHOSEN.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

zoux posted:

A paralegal idolizing lawyers :monocle:

Sorry, I'm a lawyer. (I actually idolize our paralegals for making my life much easier.)

I know that people don't like to be contradicted and all, but the data says you are wrong. (A bonus link.) (For obvious reasons, the majority of lawyers who make political donations are from large well-paying law firms; AAJ is the trial lawyers group, the remaining firms on the list are just big firms, almost all of which have large corporate law practices.)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Jagchosis posted:

everyone (except for the fedsoc insurgency) begins law school as an idealistic liberal and leaves a self-hating whore. the ones that change their politics are the ones that are better at rationalizing their decisions.

edit: initially wrote self hating horror by accident, still appropriate

This is untrue.

Many of us go to the NYC legal market, where the word is "hooer".

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

That is just an awesome link, thanks for throwing it in.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, by all means let's take issue with the assertion that people in sales and marketing are aggressive dillholes with no capacity for introspection. AIM FOR VICTORY IN THE BATTLE YOUVE CHOSEN.

It's fantastic, he even said "Beta Male".

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

I read that article and I agree with talon is that its a badly written and disorganized slog but I differ on why. It feels more like he's got the tail of an idea and he's figuring it out but hasn't worked it out yet so he doesn't know how to present it and is running down the occasional rabbit hole that is unrelated. I can sympathize with that.

Also he's heavily indulging in confirmation bias using examples that don't actually demonstrate what he is trying to say. This gives the impression that he is completely full of poo poo when he's more like 75% poo poo. The Thatcher vs bin Ladin thing, for example.

First of all, there is a big difference between a natural death and sending commandos in to kill someone. Being uncomfortable because bin Ladin was summarily executed without a trial is explainable whether or not he was in, out, or un-grouped. Bin Ladin death partiers are generally people who will openly say they would have happily pulled the trigger. People playing Ding Dong the Witch is Dead for thatcher would be appalled at the thought of harming or killing her ... And their reaction would be different had she met her end violently. Furthermore, by suggesting that the people celebrating bin Laden's murder were out-grouping him the author contradicts his own central thesis that the out-group isn't foreign people far away but rather local people slightly different. ( Hint: it can be either. In/out groups are fluid social constructs. The author never quite gets there and merely tries to replace one rigid definition with another. ).

Additionally, if his purely team based explanation was accurate you'd see similar rejoicing on the left for the deaths of other thatcher like figures. But you don't.

Thatcher was a traitor. A self-hating person like Carson or Schlaflay who got into a position of significant power then turned around and used that power against her own roots. She didn't just punch down, she did so with the zeal and arrogance that only a self-hater sucking up to an in-group can display. "I don't care what my miners talk about, as long as they do what I say". Imagine a US president saying that on purpose, knowing he was being recorded for public viewing. Now imagine it being a Biden type person instead of a Romney type person. You kind of suspected Romney thought that all along. But you expected better of Biden and from him it would have an element of betrayal which would kick the emotional response up several notches.

Lastly you have the issue of harm. Most bin Ladin partiers were not personally harmed in any way by 9-11. No one they know was in the towers. And I doubt anyone would criticize celebration on the part of someone who actually lost someone on 9-11. I might find not share their bloodlust, but I'd completely understand. Thatcher's privatization schemes, otoh, took healthy manufacturing towns and spiked their unemployment as high as 38% (Manchester). Thirty-eight loving percent. You don't need abstract thinking about in/out group dynamics to explain people being mad at an individual who is directly responsible for severe financial hardship for themselves and their loved ones.

Blegh.

TL:DR

If you want to make a specific point you can't just link that. Its to scattered. I honestly don't know what you were trying to communicate by posting it. You need to explain what part of his rambling is applicable to the topic at hand and once you've done that ... well then there isn't much point in the link. Just link to the studies he referenced instead.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pohl posted:

That is just an awesome link, thanks for throwing it in.

No problem, it's got lots of fun things buried in it.

For example, the top 3 occupations by total given are attorney, retired, and homemaker. These three massively outweigh other professions (for example, homemakers give twice as much as CEOs and executives combined.) But no, of course no one gives money in their parents'/spouses' names to evade contribution caps!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Talmonis posted:

I like how Amergin was able to turn it into a racial issue.

Kalman posted:

For example, the top 3 occupations by total given are attorney, retired, and homemaker. These three massively outweigh other professions (for example, homemakers give twice as much as CEOs and executives combined.) But no, of course no one gives money in their parents'/spouses' names to evade contribution caps!

Oh yeah, I know how that crap works. I just really love me some visual aids. Thanks again!
Edit: I actually appreciate the breakdown. That was cool, too.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 10, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kalman posted:

That never, ever would happen, it would be coordination!

:looks the other way when giving out account and routing info for wiring some of your kids' trust fund directly to the account:

Just make an X on this paper, and this paper, and we're good.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Remember when Bernie Sanders introduced an Amendment to the Constitution that would address campaign finance? :dreamysigh:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Kalman posted:

You do realize that spouses tend to share money right? It's not surprising at all that there would be lots of homemaker contributions, since there's lots of homemakers.

Old people are huge money fountains for all sorts of crap, not just political contributions.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Trabisnikof posted:

Doctors are actually just engineers diagnosing problems with machines that happen to be made of meat instead of metal, if you think about it. It makes the similarities between their outlook ad that of the typical engineer much less surprising.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Reminder that the supposed egalitarian party wanted to make it illegal for an idealistic 17-year old to donate $20 to Obama.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Talmonis posted:

:thejoke:

Like every single other thing he posts, I do not think that was a sincerely held belief.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

McAlister posted:

Additionally, if his purely team based explanation was accurate you'd see similar rejoicing on the left for the deaths of other thatcher like figures. But you don't.

I mean, people had a great time of it when Reagan died.

"I threw a barbecue when Reagan died. Straight the gently caress up — a Reagan’s Dead Barbecue. Kept it negro as a motherfucker." ~ Michael "Killer Mike" Render

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, people had a great time of it when Reagan died.

"I threw a barbecue when Reagan died. Straight the gently caress up — a Reagan’s Dead Barbecue. Kept it negro as a motherfucker." ~ Michael "Killer Mike" Render

What the hell is wrong with having a party when Reagan died? Or Thatcher? They were horrible people, gently caress both of them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pohl posted:

What the hell is wrong with having a party when Reagan died? Or Thatcher? They were horrible people, gently caress both of them.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

zoux posted:

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

I'll certainly die someday, but I won't be a loving horrible person like Reagan and Thatcher.
I couldn't even come close.

Edit: they were just really bad horrible lovely people. gently caress them.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Pohl posted:

Sometimes it helps to remember that people are people, we're all products of combinations of our upbringing, life experiences and genetics, and that as randomized products of these combinations we have different priorities, different beliefs, different ethical systems. Celebrating or wishing for the death of someone because their beliefs are different than yours is not a trait you should advertise, it's a trait you should analyze, understand and suppress.

Except for Wendy Davis, gently caress her. God I just listened to the last debate between her and Abbott - a scarecrow propped up against the mic would have seemed like a wonderful candidate in comparison to Abbott, but somehow Wendy Davis just made the sound a wet fart makes into the microphone and honestly made me go all accelerationist on the Texas governor race.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pohl posted:

I'll certainly die someday, but I won't be a loving horrible person like Reagan and Thatcher.
I couldn't even come close.

Edit: they were just really bad horrible lovely people. gently caress them.

That aphorism isn't about mortality it's about how the death of any person diminishes all of us.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

zoux posted:

That aphorism isn't about mortality it's about how the death of any person diminishes all of us.

It really doesn't, because the world was a better place when they died.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Nope, sorry. Thatcher and Reagan's deaths were genuinely good things. They had the chance to be good people, and instead dedicated their lives to cruelty, greed and spite.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pohl posted:

It really doesn't, because the world was a better place when then died.

An Angry Bug posted:

Nope, sorry. Thatcher and Reagan's deaths were genuinely good things. They had the chance to be good people, and instead dedicated their lives to cruelty, greed and spite.

Wouldn't it have been better for them to live and repent and become voices of the left? Wouldn't you prefer a tearful apology from the both?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
The only pit Thatcher couldn't close was her own. At least not until the end.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pohl posted:

It really doesn't, because the world was a better place when they died.

Neither of them had any power or direct influence at the times of their deaths. Sorry about your bloodlust.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
If Thatcher and Reagan could have rehabilitated their images, they would have done it long before Alzheimers/strokes took them. The only tragedy in either death is that it took too long.

Trolls want to point this as inhuman (and somehow 'in-liberal'), but gently caress it: "I glad he dead." - Killer Mike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Oh no people being happy when a genuinely awful person dies of a natural death instead of the bullet they deserved years ago, gotta let them know that they're the real monsters :smug:

• Locked thread