Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Andro Dunos posted:

CD is funny enough on its own. I mean they unironically think VHS is better than DVD and Joe Carnahan (the guy who directed the A-Team) is the "greatest director of our generation."

CD is useful to read as long as you take every opinion they have and do the opposite. If they say a new movie is a masterpiece you should avoid it.

whats the CD hivemind consensus on Crash?

that movie is a pretty good barometric measure to see how poo poo someone's opinions on movies are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I dont care if the op is just being ironic. Saying the Shining is poo poo is a lovely opinion and you should suck some poo poo because YOU'RE poo poo, you stupid poo poo.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

hemophilia posted:

fun fact: stanley kubrick battered shelley duval so that she could more convincingly perform as a battered housewife, and broke her will to be an actor.

That explains Popeye.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Xaris posted:

that movie is a pretty good barometric measure to see how poo poo someone's opinions on movies are

They don't like it, except for one tasteless chump who's posting in the Dear White People thread

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Mousy bitch

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Xaris posted:

After getting into a serious car accident, a TV director discovers an underground sub-culture of scarred, omnisexual car-crash victims who use car accidents and the raw sexual energy they produce to try to rejuvenate his sex life with his wife.

It's a weird movie and the crash scenes are ok.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Beef Turret posted:

Mousy bitch

yes but the children would be so, so ugly

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Beef Turret posted:

Mousy bitch

Shes an anime in real life. Why the hate, oh i get it now....

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

would

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

Im not CD but Crash is one if the most obnoxious movies ive ever seen

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Yeah, of all of them that's the one I still remember, ~18 years later

Devil-Flanders didn't register?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Munsun, good you've got good opinions on movies :hfive:

SpeedGem posted:

After getting into a serious car accident, a TV director discovers an underground sub-culture of scarred, omnisexual car-crash victims who use car accidents and the raw sexual energy they produce to try to rejuvenate his sex life with his wife.

It's a weird movie and the crash scenes are ok.

i should have said (2004) :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Harime Nui posted:

They don't like it, except for one tasteless chump who's posting in the Dear White People thread

haha what?

oh my god that thread is good

quote:

quote:

quote:

The trailer makes it look like she's being serious when she says "black people can't be racist".
Technically they can't, at least not in today's world in America. They can be prejudice, but, like she says in the clip, racism is prejudice on an institutionalized level and since black people don't control the institutions they don't current have the ability to be racist. That isn't to say black people wouldn't be capable of racism given the chance it's just currently they do not have the chance. It's a semantical argument that kind of ignores how the word has evolved to mean something more general but it's technically correct.
Nah, it's a redefinition by sociology majors of a very commonly understood word in order to more easily vilify their opponents.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mind the walrus posted:

Anyway people like The Shining because it's crazy symbolic and loans itself to crazy-rear end interpretations that your average film snob loves because it makes them feel really smart and insightful.

lol if you think the shining is crazy complicated.

Jack Nicholson is studying the hotel's history for the book and sees all the rich dudes killing kids/wives/black ppl, and he's like 'drat that is a great idea!!' so he does it.

The victims have crazy visions because they realize they're next. The hotel is a metaphor for America. That's it.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
The premise of the shining is to find an eternal caretaker for hell.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

eyes wide shut is legit more scary than the shining or a clockwork orange.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hemophilia posted:

eyes wide shut is legit more scary than the shining or a clockwork orange.

eyes wide shut is underappreciated as gently caress, though it's not as good a movie as the shining or a clockwork orange.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cubey posted:

eyes wide shut is underappreciated as gently caress, though it's not as good a movie as the shining or a clockwork orange.

it has a lot of problems, but after the guy gets caught at the orgy, and starts getting stalked, life starts falling apart, etc., it turns into a scarier film than the shining.

Andro Dunos
Dec 11, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

lol if you think the shining is crazy complicated.

oh the ultimate CD poster crawled over here to educate everyone

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
The shining is a person who is chosen to find the gate of hell and closes it, to stop future caretakers of the gate of hell. The maze allegory is there.

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
Yeah I'm going to have to agree and say The shining was not scary and was painfully boring

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hemophilia posted:

it has a lot of problems, but after the guy gets caught at the orgy, and starts getting stalked, life starts falling apart, etc., it turns into a scarier film than the shining.

most kubrick movies have a lot of problems (except full metal jacket, i can't come up with any criticisms of that movie), that doesn't stop them from being fuckin awesome.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cubey posted:

most kubrick movies have a lot of problems except full metal jacket, i can't come up with any criticisms of that movie), that doesn't stop them from being fuckin awesome.

idk i thought the second half of FMJ was pretty boring :shrug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Cubey posted:

most kubrick movies have a lot of problems (except full metal jacket, i can't come up with any criticisms of that movie), that doesn't stop them from being fuckin awesome.

full metal jacket is like two entirely separate short films jammed together to make a whole that doesn't make much sense, and nothing really happens. In bootcamp a guy fucks up over and over and gets mad and kills himself and the sergeant. Then they're invietnam and they go for a walk, get shot up, some people die, then they sing mickey mouse. loving nothing happens. I love watching it though.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

The Shining was on TV the other day and my wife said she had never seen it before, so I was all "oh man you don't know what you're missing, we have to watch it!". Then we watched a half hour and turned it off because it was horrible. So yeah, it's awful.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Trip Daddy X posted:

The Shining was on TV the other day and my wife said she had never seen it before, so I was all "oh man you don't know what you're missing, we have to watch it!". Then we watched a half hour and turned it off because it was horrible. So yeah, it's awful.

The Shining seems like a movie that would really suffer when edited for time and content

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Trip Daddy X posted:

sever

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Trip Daddy X posted:

you know what really helps build tension in atmosphere-heavy horror movies? Loud commercial breaks every 8 minutes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Trip Daddy X posted:

the shining is a great example of a movie that should never be watched on tv ever. i didn't even know it ever was on tv. that sounds atrocious.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Andro Dunos posted:

oh the ultimate CD poster crawled over here to educate everyone

i dunno, i've seen actual jokes from him, if not very good ones, so that puts him over like 80% of GBS, sad to say.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
If someone cut out part of the cheek from a rembrandt portrait it'd still look great, but a few commercial breaks is apparently enough to destroy The Shining, lol

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Turret posted:

If someone cut out part of the cheek from a rembrandt portrait it'd still look great, but a few commercial breaks is apparently enough to destroy The Shining, lol

agreed

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

its almost like you experience painted art differently from a film :wow:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Beef Turret posted:

nobody said that the cinematography is ruined by being shown on TV

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hemophilia posted:

this is a lovely response and even though you're not going to acknowledge it as a seriouspost, it was and you and i both know it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Beef Turret posted:

you are really comparing a painting to a movie wtf.

especially with horror movies, commercial breaks really gently caress the experience up.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

hemophilia posted:

Bwuhhh?? Duhh??? lol if I was watching Antichrist on TV it'd still be good

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Effectronica posted:

this is a lovely response and even though you're not going to acknowledge it as a seriouspost, it was and you and i both know it.

no it was serious, but i hope someone comparing fine art to film directly like say rembrandt to kubrick wasn't

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Beef Turret posted:

no it wouldnt, antichrist edited for tv would be a complete piece of fuckin garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Beef Turret posted:

on the other hand, imagine psycho where they cut to commercial right before the shower scene

• Locked thread