Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
PPACA is the wet fart we got after years of straining to pass healthcare reform

wooo great job everyone; champagne all around on this monumental occasion!!

next on the docket is income inequality

my fellow americans it was a long fight but we have passed legislation that grants you all a $20 gift card at Walmart; God Bless America!

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

plain blue jacket posted:

MRIs cost a fortune. They require highly trained technicians the machine itself is often worth millions.

interpreting the images is hard, it's not hard to tell people to lie still, put on some kenny g and flip a switch

Cuniculous
Apr 23, 2007

kill people burn shit fuck school
I have like $45,000 in bills. $2,500 for an ER visit when I was having an asthma attack, the rest is from a stay in the psych ward for a week. I'm never going to be able to pay that poo poo back :psyduck:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Cuniculous posted:

the rest is from a stay in the psych ward for a week.
its enough to drive someone crazy!

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
The only thing you need to know about American health care is that there is a very popular show in which a man decides to sell industrial quantities of meth to pay for his cancer treatment.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
Man that is nothing. you should see how much money we spend on mostly dead people. Check out how much an ICU stay can cost. Mechanical ventilation alone is like 5k/day.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zzulu posted:

Explain yourselves immediately, americans

oooh i got this! a large portion of americans don't want free/affordable healthcare because those countries that have free/affordable healthcare have lovely doctors because who wants to work for free?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Prooouueeed to be an americuuuuun

where at least I know I'm free

*trips down stairs without medical insurance, is in debt for years*

Some people will argue your point and say "Well Monkey Fracas, it's your fault for tripping down the stairs while being uninsured".

And then you can link them to stories like this http://www.channel3000.com/news/woman-taken-to-wrong-hospital-faces-bankruptcy/29648000

So, just a quick reminder that even those who have health insurance in America, are still facing financial ruin because while they were unconscious, they weren't able to tell the ambulance driver which hospital to take them to so the procedure would be covered. :thumbsup:

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Melmac posted:

Some people will argue your point and say "Well Monkey Fracas, it's your fault for tripping down the stairs while being uninsured".

And then you can link them to stories like this http://www.channel3000.com/news/woman-taken-to-wrong-hospital-faces-bankruptcy/29648000

So, just a quick reminder that even those who have health insurance in America, are still facing financial ruin because while they were unconscious, they weren't able to tell the ambulance driver which hospital to take them to so the procedure would be covered. :thumbsup:
Well holy loving poo poo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I think its good Americans are dying.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
revoke thu jewry

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

oooh i got this! a large portion of americans don't want free/affordable healthcare because those countries that have free/affordable healthcare have lovely doctors because who wants to work for free?

You got us there. Our doctors are actually slaves. Some have been kidnapped and their families held hostage.
Theres actually an officially legal jobmarket for capturing slavedocs from around the globe.
You didnt hear that from me.

P.S. Are you a doctor?

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
Hi I have coverage through ACA and its pretty poo poo. I'm a full time student and my wife made about $46.5k this year which is enough to make me ineligible for subsidies. I am a healthy 35 year old white male and my monthly premium is $241. In exchange for this I get a plan that has a $6300 deductible and pays absolutely nothing, not even annual routine care, until I hit that deductible. I'm pretty sure ACA was supposed to mandate insurers cover at least an annual office visit but unless I am completely misunderstanding my schedule of benefits (possible) that is not the case.

Meanwhile I have had a hosed up hip inflammation for about three weeks now that really just needs a couple weeks of high dose NSAIDs to clear up but since I can't afford the office visit or the prescriptions I'm just sort of hobbling around and taking Aleve and hoping it goes away on its own.

merica

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Europe, please ask your leaders to expel American military forces so we can pay for our healthcare tia

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Europe, please ask your leaders to expel American military forces so we can pay for our healthcare tia

It's not the cost to the taxpayer that's the problem. We're already like #2 in the world in federal healthcare spending per capita because the current system inflates cost to the taxpayer.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Is it common to do a head CT scan when delivering babies in the US?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
that ACA sure was a landmark achievement and a legacy i would want to leave as a president of the united states

definitely not an aggressive blowjob to the insurance companies, definitely not, nope

We just can't catch up to the rest of the first world in medical care! *shrugs shoulders; laughtrack*

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I had to get my appendix removed a couple of months ago, i paid all of 20 bucks for the whole thing and 15 of those bucks were spent on the day i stayed in hospital. Sucks to be you America.

BombiTheZombie fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 12, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

OlmanRiver posted:

Do you actually haggle with the doctor? Like do you go buy a big fake mustache and walk up to him and say "Want make Deal?"

That's a myth. you don't actually need a mustache in order to haggle effectively, in fact you can learn to haggle without wearing any facial hair at all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
freedom ISNT FREE

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

BombiTheZombie posted:

I had to get my appendix removed a couple of months ago, i paid all of 20 bucks for the whole thing and 15 of those bucks were spent on the day i stayed in hospital. Sucks to be you America.

meh I have full coverage medical, dental and eye. I pay no premiums and have a thousand dollar deductible for the medical with no limit to coverage. All office visits for all three are free. I can choose any doctor or hospital I want. My daughter being born by c-section and a 7 day stay in a private room for my wife in the best hospital in the state three years ago didn't cost me a dime.

I don't even have a college degree I just work for a medium-sized company where the owner actually cares about his employees.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I (my employer) pays $450 a month for health insurance in america. I went to see a doctor for a physical/check up, who took my insurance, and i had to pay $50 for a 15 minute visit. He took my blood and sent it to a lab which didnt take my insurance, so they sent me a bill for $1500. This was almost a year ago and i've tried calling them and the doctor and have still never actually had the results of the blood test.
I found out that the GP I went to also does plastic surgery and botox on the side, he has 2 websites, and very clearly does not give a gently caress about a scrub like me trying to find out if he's healthy or not and whenever i've called he's said to call back later to make an appointment and then not picked up. I'm basically just operating under the assumption that he cant be bothered telling me there's nothing wrong, and that if there were any issues he'd be able to make some money off me and would make the effort to speak to me.

I've had like 3 encounters with american health care since moving here, 2 doctors in NYC and one in Miami. my employer pays over 5k a year for it and i've had to spend an extra 4k on it in nearly 3 years and on the whole the experience has been total poo poo and a waste of time in comparison to the NHS, the system is a joke.
The only reason I still have insurance is so my life isn't ruined by someone else mounting the sidewalk and hitting me with their car.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 12, 2014

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Also, when i had my check up before the surgery a hot iranian doctor had her fingers up my rear end. Thankfully she didnt see my boner.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
would you get yelled at if you began pleasing yourself during a rectal examination

im asking fo a friend

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
just do it man, who knows maybe it will lead to a good time?

#yolo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Devry graduates really have a high opinion of themselves it seems.

Maybe you should have been a cop, I mean cops always do their job and the protection the people come without question, right. I mean it's their job.

pls share with us what it is you do that is so well respected and grown up, dude with the naked anime babes avatar

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i'll have insuracne for probably one more year so i'm thinking i should get the most out of it now, maybe i'll break my fingers and toes.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Germany had universal health care since 1883. Laws to insure accidents at the work making you unable to work followed 1884. Disabled and pension insurance 1889.

Healthcare is a goddamn civil right.

FunkyFlashman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 12, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I just got my lasik for 3200 bux :downs:
Suck it yuropoors

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

FunkyFlashman posted:

Germany had universal health care since 1883. Laws to insure accidents at the work making you unable to work followed 1884. Disabled and pension insurance 1889.

Healthcare is a goddamn civil right and anyone who disagrees should be put to trial by a diseased rotten and angered mob who was denied medical treatment.

okay why should healthy people care about people born sick, and how is it fair to make healthy people give money out of pocket for those people.

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
There is an area in your brain. This area is ment to produce empathy towards others. Try stimulating it. May be you are just broken tho.

edit, corrected empathie with empathy

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So basically 50 Cent's "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" was actually sound financial advice?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

FunkyFlashman posted:

There is an area in your brain. This area is ment to produce empathie towards others. Try stimulating it. May be you are just broken tho.

dunno american wages are too low to afford to pay the taxes needed to support such government programs, and most of our taxes get misappropriated, So most of us are concerned with keeping ourselves alive.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TOILETLORD posted:

dunno american wages are too low to afford to pay the taxes needed to support such government programs, and most of our taxes get misappropriated, So most of us are concerned with keeping ourselves alive.

this is the stupidest thing i've ever read. anyway i hope you fuckin die

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
in ten years america will be so riddled with disease and injury that even canada could just waltz in and take over. its all part of the master plan

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Fandyien posted:

this is the stupidest thing i've ever read. anyway i hope you fuckin die

sorry studies have shown i am unkillable.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
^^^--It is true he is.

America is the world's biggest jail.

We are all prisoners here of our own device.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
lol good ol' pennsylvania, refused obamacare

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Windows 98 posted:

The only thing you need to know about American health care is that there is a very popular show in which a man decides to sell industrial quantities of meth to pay for his cancer treatment.

which is of course ridiculous. meth isn't that lucrative!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

BottledBodhisvata posted:

America is the world's biggest jail.

Tort law in America is fuckign stupid. People sue over the smallest poo poo. It's also a major reason why medical bills are so high because of all the retarded disclaimers and insurance put into place. Also hospitals that thrown in tons of unnecessary procedures and drugs for also the most minor excuse they can find.

• Locked thread