Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
I have to say I was skeptical about a blind LP of OoT of all things at first but seeing Fae be as excited about everything as I was as a kid reminds me why I still love the game to this day. I should hook up my N64 and play along or something. Anyway I just wanted to say keep doing what you're doing, Fae. It's great.

Cheez posted:

Where would the dogs get the money?

Breaking pots obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Keksen posted:

I have to say I was skeptical about a blind LP of OoT of all things at first but seeing Fae be as excited about everything as I was as a kid reminds me why I still love the game to this day. I should hook up my N64 and play along or something. Anyway I just wanted to say keep doing what you're doing, Fae. It's great.

I got back into this game because of the LP too. Been burning through everything right up to the dungeon that... well. No spoilers. But I'm sure everyone knows which one I mean.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Keksen posted:

Breaking pots obviously.

That, or playing poker.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

dublish posted:

I got back into this game because of the LP too. Been burning through everything right up to the dungeon that... well. No spoilers. But I'm sure everyone knows which one I mean.

There are many dungeons that you could be talking about, at least nothing in this game is anywhere near as bad as MM's dungeons.

aerion111 posted:

That, or playing poker.
Breaking pots, winning pots, is there any difference?

Deathwind fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Nov 14, 2014

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Neurion posted:

Also, with my semi-limited knowledge of the UK, I'm trying to place your regional accent. I'm going to hazard a guess and say... is it a Geordie accent?

Not even close, I'm from the lake district! My accent is hard to place though because despite being born and raised here and living here my entire life, my accent is completely different to the local one! It comes out a little more if I'm talking to my sister or parents, my accent gets more "northern", I talk a little faster and I use way more of my natural Cumbrian dialect. When I'm talking to not-local people though, I tend to talk more slowly and with a more generic English dialect because holy poo poo cumbrian dialects can be incomprehensible sometimes.

This has been your daily Fae fact!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Faerie Fortune posted:

Not even close, I'm from the lake district! My accent is hard to place though because despite being born and raised here and living here my entire life, my accent is completely different to the local one! It comes out a little more if I'm talking to my sister or parents, my accent gets more "northern", I talk a little faster and I use way more of my natural Cumbrian dialect. When I'm talking to not-local people though, I tend to talk more slowly and with a more generic English dialect because holy poo poo cumbrian dialects can be incomprehensible sometimes.

This has been your daily Fae fact!

You have piqued my interest as a linguist, because idiolects are fascinating. I grew up on the West Coast of the US and by all accounts, my generic word for "soft drink" should be "pop." However, weirdly, I somehow grew up saying "soda," and I've never wavered from that.

I took a quiz to place my accent and one set of results placed my accent in three cities I have never been to.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

My younger sister is a linguist as well, currently working on her masters in sociolinguistics! Its a fascinating subject but unless it involves paints or playing pretend I'm no good at any kind of humanities subject, I'll be happy right here with my calculator and my numbers thankyou!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
British regional accents are incredible to me, as an Australian. We mostly sound the same and we cover so much more area.

This LP is the only video LP I have actually enjoyed, it's super entertaining but also frustrating as someone who has played this game from start to finish maybe half a dozen times :spergin: Good work on the fast updates too, can't wait for more.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cumbria's an interesting one, because in the past when I've holidayed in the Lake District it's felt like a strange mixed bag of accents, possibly because half the people there are on holiday from other various parts of the North (or even Glasgow) themselves. It became hard to tell exactly what the Cumbrian accent was because of it.

I winced a few times during that sequence where you picked up 50 rupees when you only had room for 5, then bought 30 bombs when you only had room for 20. Not your fault, but it does give a good example of just how frustrating limits like these are. At least you got several happiest moments of your life to make up for it :).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I mentioned earlier that I am one of the people who started playing again due to the thread. But then I finished and started to look a bit more into some cool glitches and mechanics. Fae, is it cool if I make a video of some of the glitches and mechanics that only include stuff we've seen so far and kind of try to explain it? I can have ChaosArgate scan it for dumb spoiler stuff before posting.

Some of it would be stuff that you could do in theory to make the game easier but they are kind of control finiky so I'm not overly worried it'll ruin your experience too much. I completely understand if you don't want it, though.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

You guys are adorable and I love you all :3:

To celebrate that fact, and the fact that its Friday, let's have an :siren:Update!:siren:

Episode 9 - Beware of Landsharks with ChaosArgate

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I'm dying at the Lizalfos missing while you were idling

e: the keese turn red and fall out of the air when you kill them, so they do look kind of like hearts but it definitely didn't drop any.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 14, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Faerie Fortune posted:

You guys are adorable and I love you all :3:

To celebrate that fact, and the fact that its Friday, let's have an :siren:Update!:siren:

Episode 9 - Beware of Landsharks with ChaosArgate

Aww, my guess was 28 deaths off.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeeeaaaaah... Leapfrog...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Your Computer posted:

Yeeeaaaaah... Leapfrog...

You're a treasure to these forums, you know that? :allears:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Ha ha, that leapfrog gif is amazing.

Man with Hat posted:

I mentioned earlier that I am one of the people who started playing again due to the thread. But then I finished and started to look a bit more into some cool glitches and mechanics. Fae, is it cool if I make a video of some of the glitches and mechanics that only include stuff we've seen so far and kind of try to explain it? I can have ChaosArgate scan it for dumb spoiler stuff before posting.

Some of it would be stuff that you could do in theory to make the game easier but they are kind of control finiky so I'm not overly worried it'll ruin your experience too much. I completely understand if you don't want it, though.

OOT glitches are a thing for sure. I really like how this game works so well that you on a normal play through will never even notice anything wrong, yet it has all these very specific things you can do to break it. I like to think that it's not the game that is inherently more buggy than any other game at the time, or a fault of the developers, but rather that this game is so good that it got a lot of people playing and looking for new stuff and never really getting tired of it.

I've done some any% speedrunning, if you need any help with some of the early/difficult stuff and Fae and ChaosArgate wants it.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
Welp, I finally broke and started replaying this game. Had to break my N64 out of storage, and I wish I had a better controller, but it's working and I'm back to being 9 years old again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Welp, I finally broke and started replaying this game. Had to break my N64 out of storage, and I wish I had a better controller, but it's working and I'm back to being 9 years old again.

I feel like I'm going to break soon too.

And when I do it'll be a three heart Master Quest run.

Oh god what have I done.

No stupid 10-11 year old stories for this part. Once I got that guide I wrecked the balls out of Dodongo's Cavern.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that Fae's reaction to getting the bomb bag is "Gross."

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
I notice that whenever Fae tries to run at certain angles, Link merely walks quickly rather than running. It nearly dropped her into lava at one point. I would like to recommend adjusting the analog range/sensitivity of the controller and the input plugin of the emulator until Link can run full speed in all directions.

Keep on being you, Fae. :)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
That specific kind of shrub that you farmed deku seeds from (it leaves a little stub instead of disappearing completely) actually regrows after a few seconds, no need to leave the room to make it spawn.

The reason you kept failing to make the first eye red was because you went to first person and thereby unloaded the eye trigger by looking away from it. It wasn't so much a glitch as a limitation of the engine: sometimes when a thing isn't visible, the engine stops updating it. The bomb exploded right on top of the eye both times and by all rights it should have worked, but because the engine stopped keeping track of the eye when you weren't looking at it anymore, nothing happened.

Also, a fun fact: Remember the infamous "L is real" plaque in Super Mario 64?

They used the same texture for the "Giant dead Dodongo... when it sees red etc." plaque soon after you get the bombs.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 14, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tiistai posted:

Also, a fun fact: Remember the infamous "L is real" plaque in Super Mario 64?

They used the same texture for the "Giant dead Dodongo... when it sees red etc." plaque soon after you get the bombs.

So you're saying... L is real? :aaa:

ChaosArgate posted:

You're a treasure to these forums, you know that? :allears:
Aww, thanks :kimchi:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I just can't unsee it as Japanese runes, some of it at least. It is way too compressed to make sense of, but makes sense to be in Japanese anyway.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Faerie Fortune posted:

My younger sister is a linguist as well, currently working on her masters in sociolinguistics! Its a fascinating subject but unless it involves paints or playing pretend I'm no good at any kind of humanities subject, I'll be happy right here with my calculator and my numbers thankyou!

Syntax is basically logic and logic is basically math. Social sciences and hard sciences are basically the same thing. :colbert:

I'm glad to see that you defied everyone's expectations! 0 deaths was pretty impressive, despite using a fairy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Some Numbers posted:

I'm glad to see that you defied everyone's expectations! 0 deaths was pretty impressive, despite using a fairy.

I was laughing so hard when I was watching everyone vote, not gonna lie.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
At least my secondary (read: doesn't count) prediction was true.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

v:v:v

It's nice either way. She certainly did better at the boss than my child self. I couldn't fling bombs in a straight line worth a crap.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My vote was explicitly a joke, but I did expect at least one death.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ramos posted:

v:v:v

It's nice either way. She certainly did better at the boss than my child self. I couldn't fling bombs in a straight line worth a crap.

And she did it without Z-Targeting!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

But it's not even necessary there. I don't understand what the difference would be with or without.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Z-Targeting allows a better trajectory for the bombs and opens the door for jump attacks which deal double damage.

If you Z-Target, he's even easier.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

And she did it without Z-Targeting!

Or getting out of the way of the fireballs despite having found the safe spots! :v:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Thinking about it a bit, I think where i went wrong in my "calculations" here was the lack of the fairy. Without the fairy, she definitely would have had to restart the entire fight, and it would take a while to get down the pattern and get those defensive habits going. I wouldn't otherwise expect someone to die here, but I had to work in the Fae Factor here. Among other things, she has to struggle with less than optimal controls and a bit of trouble moving around with the analog stick. That, and some minor timing issues that almost caused a problem in this video. I think this may be the end of deathless boss fights, though...

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

ChaosArgate posted:

I was laughing so hard when I was watching everyone vote, not gonna lie.

I said it was only gonna take one try! But that was already taken so I tried to find a number that wasn't. Bu that was pretty awesome to see.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Watching that boss battle, all I could think about was how badly Fae needs to learn to Z-target. Seriously. The next boss is going to be awful without Z-targeting.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I can't really draw for poo poo, but here's what I was thinking when Fae got Din's Fire:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I think I scared my girlfriend when I shouted "OH. MY. GOODNESS." upon seeing that :swoon:

That means you did good, friend!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I can't draw for poo poo either, but here is my artistic interpenetration of Fae's poem. :)

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 14, 2014

Fizzicist
Nov 14, 2009

Faerie Fortune is on Skype watching dumb streams and reading this thread and she is making inhumanly adorable noises, please stop making continue making this fantastic bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
I asked this a couple of pages ago but it got lost in the thread somewhere and/or ignored, but would you object if I made a kind of supplementary gimmick mini-LP for the thread, Fae?

• Locked thread