Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Merlinicus posted:

They even showed it in the "previously" part at the beginning of the episode. Seem to be laying that one on pretty thick.

I was somewhat disappointed that there wasn't a fight scene with the two goons who threw a brick into the spice shop. They were masked up like they were going to try to bash in some heads. But instead they threw a brick through a window and ran away like children.

Renard's mom is also fabulous. Her character is hilarious. Such a nice change of pace from the other hexenbiest.

Tell me about it. Whenever I see Adalind on my TV screen at this point, I want to not watch anymore. It's not that I think she's right or wrong or justified or unjustified, it's that I find her goddamned insufferably boring and even though I know she won't if she just drowned in the stairwell and we never mentioned her again I think the show would be better for it.

Also, Trubel is now pretty clear and away my favorite character. She's just... she's better at this than Nick, and when she inevitably gets written off the show I may just follow her because my interest probably can't sustain the writers giving up on another possibly interesting thing and headbanging on the reset button, again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Mukaikubo posted:

Tell me about it. Whenever I see Adalind on my TV screen at this point, I want to not watch anymore. It's not that I think she's right or wrong or justified or unjustified, it's that I find her goddamned insufferably boring and even though I know she won't if she just drowned in the stairwell and we never mentioned her again I think the show would be better for it.

Also, Trubel is now pretty clear and away my favorite character. She's just... she's better at this than Nick, and when she inevitably gets written off the show I may just follow her because my interest probably can't sustain the writers giving up on another possibly interesting thing and headbanging on the reset button, again and again.

I remember I bristled a lot on other forums when a bunch of people jumped on Bitsie Tulloch for supposedly "needing acting lessons" and part of that was that I dislike people ganging up on someone. So, I want to defend Adalind but I just... can't. You're right. She's one wasted opportunity after another and I really wish Claire Coffee would go somewhere where her talents could be better used.

We had another moment with Adalind undercutting the show's opinion of her. Elizabeth talks up how cleverly Adalind used the spell and then we cut to the actual character stupidly ignoring her guide and literally precipitating (through crying precipitation) her newest predicament.

As for Trubel, one thing to consider is that she's almost certainly been a Grimm longer than Nick. I don't have exact figures, but Trubel's "Grimmness" seemed to have kicked in while she was in her mid-teens and she's about 22 now. Figure maybe 7 years. Nick's been a Grimm for 3 years. The only real reason that Trubel is Nick's "apprentice" is that he has all the educational materials and is able to provide names and context for her experiences.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's the same problem with Laurel on Arrow. Great actress given absolute poo poo to work with. Also, tell Wu now!

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's the same problem with Laurel on Arrow. Great actress given absolute poo poo to work with. Also, tell Wu now!

Yeah, I'm just... really, really sick of how long they drag out storylines to cover for a lack of ideas.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Anybody know who the actor was that played the rabbi on last night's episode? I swear I remember him playing a rabbi in another show but I can't place him and he's not listed on the IMDB page for the episode.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I keep thinking that they'll have to tell him in the next episode, but they just keep leaving Wu dangling. It's getting a bit silly, honestly.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'm really disappointed that they keep doing the monster of the week. It's the main story I care about! I'm assuming this is just a reaction to earlier seasons where the main story was boring and the monster of week was where it was at.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
So was that kid a grimm or what?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

corn in the fridge posted:

So was that kid a grimm or what?

Remember that wesen can choose to show their voge, which I'm guessing they did to terrify the kid.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have defended Grimm before, but so far this season isn't doing it for me. If the writers want it to be a procedural, then they should stop with the gimmicks. Have Nick be a grimm and have fun with the cast and world, Juliette losing her memory or Nick losing his powers are just boring to watch.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Oasx posted:

I have defended Grimm before, but so far this season isn't doing it for me. If the writers want it to be a procedural, then they should stop with the gimmicks. Have Nick be a grimm and have fun with the cast and world, Juliette losing her memory or Nick losing his powers are just boring to watch.

I don't generally like procedurals but I agree with you. The memory loss plot and Nick losing his powers have been a drain on what should be a fun Friday night show.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
On the bright side, we are getting a lot of Trubel action and development. I hope they do make her apermanent cast member.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

smg77 posted:

I don't generally like procedurals but I agree with you. The memory loss plot and Nick losing his powers have been a drain on what should be a fun Friday night show.

Same here. It doesn't help that I recently binge-watched 2 season of Arrow, a show that moves through plot points super fast. I don't want half a season of everyone tiptoeing around Wu.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
On the up-side, since it seems like Juliette is the key to getting Nick's powers back (somehow), that suggests it could be fairly soon. If they needed Adalind to get Nick's powers back, can you imagine how long that would take?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

On the up-side, since it seems like Juliette is the key to getting Nick's powers back (somehow), that suggests it could be fairly soon. If they needed Adalind to get Nick's powers back, can you imagine how long that would take?

I'm going to laugh when getting Nick's powers back means getting laid.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

It obviously involves a three way between Nick, Juliet, and Renards mom shape changed to Adalind

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 20, 2014

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Perhaps Juliette transformed into Adalind? Laugh.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

It's going to be that he needs to get married, I bet.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The previews seemed to indicate it was something that puts Juliette in danger.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

hollylolly posted:

The previews seemed to indicate it was something that puts Juliette in danger.

Renard's mom is a really vigorous lover

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

hangedman1984 posted:

Renard's mom is a really vigorous lover

Awesome.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I don't watch the previews or check spoilers before the next episode (cya in case you know for sure and are right) but I was hoping that poor Monroe was going to try and convince nick that he needs to do a equivalent list of poo poo as Adalind did.

The thought of poor Monroe trying to convince nick to let Rosalee kill Juliet ala Stefania killing Frau Pech and doing the whole organ harvesting thing cracks me up. Something like that would be immediately discarded (of course) but it would still be hilarious to watch Monroe stumble through the description of what needs to happen.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
4x05 – “Cry Luison”
Monroe introduces Nick and Hank to a member of the Blutbad family while Juliette decides if she wants Nick to be a Grimm again.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
So, absolutely no plot advancement whatsoever. Fantastic! Not even a new wesen of the week. Maybe I will get around to the DVR of this sometime early next week. Dammit, writers.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Not even a new wesen of the week.

This is an interesting sentiment, considering the complaints about how diverse the wesen population in Portland is.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I'm not sure what 'plot' it is you're referring to. The keys? We'll hear about them once or twice a season. They're advancing the 'when and how does Nick get his powers back' plus there may be some movement on the FBI wesen secret society front, it's hard to tell.

They might start to tell Wu again, only to be interrupted!

But seriously, (preview) this episode is dealing with Bud opening his big mouth and letting everyone know Nick lost his powers. All the wesen that hate him are going to come calling.

Edit: regarding new wesen, a luison is an Agentinian wolf-man, so when they say a member of the Blutbad family they don't mean another Blutbad, but a wesen cousin of the Blutbad? I could be wrong.

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 22, 2014

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
The "plot" being anything that really explains the reason of royals, keys, Grimms (specifically their role with the royals), and so much more interesting than a spell in a Portland spice shop. But, hey, I look forward to the "but weren't things better when you were not a Grimm?" tear-filled speech that, again, ignores all she knows and what he has done.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Nick being a Grimm has made quite a few people's lives in Portland better (or at least longer). Still, since he became a Grimm, Nick and Juliette's own personal situation has made quite a few detours into Suckville. Also, for any talk about the long-term health consequences of not being a Grimm, it's pretty clear that one of the likely long term health consequences of being a Grimm is getting ripped to pieces by angry Wesen.

Sure, at this stage it's probably better for Nick to be a Grimm than not, especially since the "blabbiber" has been at work, but it's not a completely clear choice one way or the other.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

For being a hexenbiest, Adelind sure does suck at picking up on mind-fuckery.

I would imagine Nick would have more of a problem sleeping with someone who looks just like his rapist, then Juliette would looking like her.

Edit: goddamnit I love Bud.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 22, 2014

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I think Juliette has a problem looking like Adalind because Nick has a problem with her looking like Adalind. Juliette's sensitive to how hosed-up this whole thing is and doesn't want to push. Still, now that she knows about the Shaw situation, she's probably going to try to talk Nick around to doing it anyway.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Hope they actually show Trouble's fight. She is awesome at stage fighting. Yay!

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 22, 2014

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
I like the wall poo poo and mind fuckery I like when Grimm does weird poo poo every now and then.

Trubel was badass in this one and it was nice to see Monroe not attached to Rosalees hip the entire episode, as nice as she is.

What some others are saying I sort of agree with but I mean at the same time I still like the show. It is not particularly well written and they have too many characters to know what to do with. But that's been going on for a long time.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Grimm is the perfect Friday night show. It's nice to sit down, turn your brain off, and just enjoy the stupid (in a good way) fun.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Well, I didn't watch the previews, but that ending suggests that they'll at least try to get Nick his powers back next episode.

What I liked was that Nick struggling because he does like being a Grimm, he doesn't want to ruin things with Juliette over it, and I liked is that Juliette decides that Nick should become a Grimm because their friends need help. It's two sides of selflessness.

Nick didn't want to push Juliette about it because while he does want to be a Grimm, forcing that life on Juliette if she doesn't want it would be selfish. Juliette may not like all the downsides to having a Grimm for a boyfriend, but letting Monroe and Rosalee suffer because it would make her own life easier would also be selfish.

It was also a nice idea to bring back Josh Porter, to show that problems still continue even after the guest stars leave.

I am also glad that the show seems to be doing more things with normal humans getting caught up in Wesen crimes. A bit too often sometimes, the show has done only Wesen on Wesen crimes, and it's good to have reminders that ordinary people exist and think this poo poo which happens is really insane.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah, I was kind of confused by the masks at first but then---duh! OF COURSE it was just the husband wearing an elaborate mask to scare you; saying he was ACTUALLY some kind of shapeshifting wolf-man is just crazy who would ever think that?!?

I love when Grimm does poo poo like that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
More Trubel, less Whacky Mystery Spooktacular Castle, please.

And loving clue Wu in already, drat.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Nick, Civil Rights hero, seems like a fun angle to take.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

More Trubel, less Whacky Mystery Spooktacular Castle, please.

And loving clue Wu in already, drat.

This. All of this, a thousand loving times. Grimm Writers, you found a gold nugget in Trubel's actress. You're showing signs of realizing it. GO WITH IT. Promote her to the main drat cast already and let her do her thing. Don't you dare get rid of the best new thing since Rosalee joined.

I can't stand Adalind's scenes. I'm nearly broken. I hate them, hate them, hate them. Whenever she's on the screen in that stupid loving detour plot that just lingers on like a stale baked bean fart in the room vampiring the airtime away from "plot", or "characterization", or "fun" I like the show less and less by the minute.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
She needs to be Chuck Cunningham-ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved Juliette's expression when she told Nick he needed to be a Grimm again. She was regarding that burning sign like it was a tumor she needed to remove.

• Locked thread