Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

imgur (outside of its plain ol' image-hosting function) is basically another front-end for Reddit. Don't bother looking for anything there but the same lovely culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
US Politics December - I'm Dreaming of a brown Christmas.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's no chance of any action being taken against a prosecutor that helped raise money for the guy he was supposed to prosecute is there? I mean that should be a disbarment or something, right?

If it had happened it'd be an issue.

It didn't happen, so it isn't.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
By the way, bonus points if you know which state Stephen Fincher represents without looking it up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't know if this is from a recent episode as I stopped watching South Park yonks ago but did South Park really just say that there shouldn't be hate crime laws?

And of course IMGUR upvotes it by 6000 votes. :suicide:

Yeah, as mentioned it was season 4 but we got into a big discussion about it in the South Park Season 17 thread towards the end. I brought up how I think it's the worst message and completely misses the point of hate crime laws. It was even worse because that was right around the time of Matthew Shepard and the black man being dragged to death down South. Both high-profile and both classed as hate crimes. The humor outside of the message is great like Cartman in juvie, but the whole idea of two white guys writing and voicing a black son and his father about how hate crimes aren't really different is hosed up.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

The law has been taking people's thoughts and motivations into account during sentencing since long long before hate crime laws, you dumb cartoon men

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Imgur is where sad nerds go to win imaginary arguments and whine about nagging bitches using image memes.

The site really suffers from having no "subreddits", so you only get a firehose feed of the worst image circlejerk the Internet has to offer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Tonk posted:

Oh gently caress, he's got kids?

Yeah, two, ages nine and eleven.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Joementum posted:

By the way, bonus points if you know which state Stephen Fincher represents without looking it up.

Tennessee?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't know if this is from a recent episode as I stopped watching South Park yonks ago but did South Park really just say that there shouldn't be hate crime laws?

To be fair to this dumb opinion about hate crime laws, they did make a point last season that if Trayvon had been white Zimmerman would have been railroaded through the system.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lately South Park seems to be trying to make some amends for their earlier lovely opinions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That whole south park thing makes zero sense.

Hate crimes are such because they are provably not crimes against an individual but against the race or religion or gender or sexuality or what have you. They're different crimes because the victims are different. I guess we can apply the typical south park logic and imply they favor removing the aggravating factor of the victim being a child - rape is rape after all, how are we to say the rapist meant to rape a child and not just the first target of opportunity without regard for age? Motivation shouldn't affect the sentencing, y'all!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

That whole south park thing makes zero sense.

Hate crimes are such because they are provably not crimes against an individual but against the race or religion or gender or sexuality or what have you. They're different crimes because the victims are different. I guess we can apply the typical south park logic and imply they favor removing the aggravating factor of the victim being a child - rape is rape after all, how are we to say the rapist meant to rape a child and not just the first target of opportunity without regard for age? Motivation shouldn't affect the sentencing, y'all!

Murder 1, 2 and Manslaughter should all be the same charge.

Mens rea is a nonexistent concept.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Mens tea is a nonexistent concept.

Well, now I see what these MRA types are on about. You can't take my delicious tea from me!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

StealthArcher posted:

Murder 1, 2 and Manslaughter should all be the same charge.

Mens rea is a nonexistent concept.

Perhaps the truth is in the middle and it only counts when non-white people are the target of racially motivated crimes.

E: by that I mean South Park's argument - not that hate crimes only count when committed against nonwhites.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 1, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's real but kind of absurd.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Kalman posted:

If it had happened it'd be an issue.

It didn't happen, so it isn't.

Yeah it's a very tenuous connection. Here's the way I understand it:

McCulloch is chairman or spokesman or something of a charity called something like Hope For Cops or whatever that raises money for the usual police stuff like widow funds.

After the Brown shooting some guy, who is not McCulloch, starts a fundraising campaign for Wilson, with all money going to that organisation.

How close am I?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stultus Maximus posted:

What the gently caress? That sounds stomach-turning, like a half-done Thai recipe where someone forgot the coconut milk, lemongrass, and peanut.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah it's a very tenuous connection. Here's the way I understand it:

McCulloch is chairman or spokesman or something of a charity called something like Hope For Cops or whatever that raises money for the usual police stuff like widow funds.

After the Brown shooting some guy, who is not McCulloch, starts a fundraising campaign for Wilson, with all money going to that organisation.

How close am I?

Given McCulloch's "prosecution" of the grand jury, the appearance of conflicting interest is very telling. Furthermore, being a prosecutor with ties to the charity that sometimes benefits 'defendants' is troubling to say the least.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Stultus Maximus posted:

Tea or soup-base ???

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Speaking of Fincher, looks like he's got a job opening on his staff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I love that she removed the post after 'Long and hard prayer', instead of being a good Christian and not posting vile filth to begin with.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

~Man creates "Tea"~

MAN: Ung! *throws roots, flowers at water*

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Raenir Salazar posted:

I find a lot of people's characterization of South Park to be unfairly harsh most of the time but in this case, yeah, that's truly a terrible message. It does seem like they've been trying to make up for their earlier awful opinions lately though, except for the recent episode about trans-bathrooms. I may have misinterpreted their message, but that one was also awful.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So are we making a new thread for December, or should we ride this through the rest of the lame duck period?

US Politics December - Congress, More Like Dongress (We've Got Nothing Until January)

stinkles1112 posted:

I find a lot of people's characterization of South Park to be unfairly harsh most of the time but in this case, yeah, that's truly a terrible message.

Especially since crimes covered by hate crime statutes are not crimes against an individual per se, but against an individual as a representation of a class-- it's an attempt to stifle, suppress, and diminish a group of people as a whole, and is considered an attack on an entire group.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
US Politics December - Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful, Obviously Global Warming is a Hoax

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

anonumos posted:

Given McCulloch's "prosecution" of the grand jury, the appearance of conflicting interest is very telling. Furthermore, being a prosecutor with ties to the charity that sometimes benefits 'defendants' is troubling to say the least.

Yeah, I'm much more troubled by the fact that he's the president of the cops' booster club than that Wilson supporters want to donate to it. He's unfit to prosecute cops, period, regardless of pro-Wilson charities.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Like many things marketed as manly, it is meant to appeal to insecure men who think if they do anything comfortable or pleasant they will lose a piece of their identity. I'm guessing tea is considered not-manly because it has traditionally been expensive and thus for bougie fops? (So expensive England got China hopped up on Opium for it.)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Crowsbeak posted:

Well some poo poo rag has already started the campaign to turn Tamir Rice into a thug in training.

He grew up in the United States. Of course he grew up around violence.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Xibanya posted:

Like many things marketed as manly, it is meant to appeal to insecure men who think if they do anything comfortable or pleasant they will lose a piece of their identity. I'm guessing tea is considered not-manly because it has traditionally been expensive and thus for bougie fops? (So expensive England got China hopped up on Opium for it.)

See aso http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2011-10-10/dr-pepper-for-men/50717788/1.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There were a few "diet but not for women" soda brands that appeared at that time, including Coke Zero and stuff. Only Dr. Pepper just came out and said what they want the audience to see as the difference between it and diet.

edit: also it's a good example of how for soft drinks especially, how little the substance of the stuff inside the can actually matters.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

stinkles1112 posted:

US Politics December - Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful, Obviously Global Warming is a Hoax

US Politics Decembrrr - Colder Than A Fincher Tweet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
US Politics December - House of Cards back in February!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Racism is back!!!

quote:

Nine Cleveland police officers involved in a 2012 shooting that left two people dead are suing the city and some of its leaders for how they were disciplined afterward, alleging they — eight whites and one Hispanic — were treated differently than their African-American colleagues following similar incidents.

The disciplinary action involved the officers being placed on restrictive active duty and assigned to a gym where they were doing work that included "boring and menial tasks" for several months after the Nov. 29, 2012 shooting, according to the lawsuit filed by their lawyer, Jonathan Rosenbaum, in U.S. District Court in Cleveland on Friday. The work status meant the officers couldn't apply for transfers or promotions or get extra pay through overtime.

Rosenbaum alleged in the complaint that his clients' assignment to "gym duty" was "substantially longer than that which had been meted out to similarly-situated African American officers." The city and other defendants named in the lawsuit — former and current police chiefs as well as the deputy police chief and former safety director — "have a history of treating non-African American officers involved in the shootings of African Americans substantially harsher than African American officers," according to the complaint.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

The fact that the campaign involved a web game where you shoot/destroy symbols associated with women is troubling. It also reminds me of all those shoot pikachu games on newgrounds I thought were edgy and cool circa 2001.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, I'm much more troubled by the fact that he's the president of the cops' booster club than that Wilson supporters want to donate to it. He's unfit to prosecute cops, period, regardless of pro-Wilson charities.

It's a charity to support the children of police, EMS, and fire responders who died performing their jobs, not a "cops boosters club." Which, notably, means that there is no circumstance in which that charity could support Wilson.

Given that he himself is a child of a policeman who died in the line of duty, I think it's no more a conflict of interest than him being himself, which is to say - it isn't. (Just curious: were any of you arguing McCulloch should have recused because his dad was shot also arguing that Walker should have recused himself from the Prop8 case for being gay?)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr Interweb posted:

I didn't know evil liberals were attacking poor, defenseless Trig for making the decision to be a stupid, down syndrome baby and choosing to belong to Sarah Palin. :monocle:

This is my criteria for attacking a President's (or a congressman/senator's) children:

- must be adults or close to adult age
- must be actively doing something political on behalf of their parents
- must be doing something that goes against their Party's positions

By such criteria, the Obama girls and Trig are off limits, while Romney's "kids" and the Bush Twins aren't.

What about Ann Romney's horse? :haw:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mister Macys posted:

Rafalca is a stupid loving name. Which is appropriate for something as stupid as a horse I guess.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Obama is going to issue an executive order that requires civilian oversight approval for police departments acquiring military surplus materials and ask Congress for $75m to fund body cameras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mister Macys posted:

Probably got drunk and clubbed a dog in the chin.

• Locked thread