Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Every main story mission or couple of side missions, go talk to your crew and hit the lockers then the requisition officer. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two.

This is a chore, it's bad. There are about five guns in the game worth using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

White Phosphorus posted:

ME1 story missions are actual missions and not just cutscenes strung together by corridors.

You say that, but the first Mass Effect is probably the most flagrant offender of reused assets stitched together to make content. And I still think Mass Effect is a good game overall.

To me, ME2/3's way of doing plot-based missions makes more sense with the fast-paced shooter that the series evolved into. You can tell in ME1 they hadn't fully made a break from KOTOR yet and were still following the "hub world with benefits" model. Even in ME2 you have these lengthy dialogue wheel breaks right in the middle of a good 30min combat mission and it gets kind of annoying to be broken up like that.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I seem to recall that there's a config file you can edit in ME1 to increase the item limit and warning threshold.

Not quite as excellent as the console code that triples the thrusters on the Mako, though.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Cometa Rossa posted:

Krogan in ME4, gently caress all other options

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

fennesz posted:

Ok so I finished the first two prologue missions. Initial thoughts:
1. Space boobs are huge.
2. Who the gently caress is James?
3. I love that combat is comprised of a larger number of weaker enemies.
4. Face to face with Hackett. Finally.
e: 5. My custom female Shepard still looks good! :smug:
e: 6. The elevator AI has a lisp. Haha

Oh and I'm playing on Hardcore.

I didn't like that ME2 had every enemy with a shield/barrier/armor to start with so powers were more or less useless. ME3 spawns leader enemies with increased defenses but more pawns with no barriers, just health. I like that a lot. More heads to shoot and bodies to throw off of ledges, I just hope it doesn't shift sometime in the future. For the moment playing insanely aggressive as a Vanguard is still satisfying as ever. Oh and I'm watching Ashley get carted to the ICU right now. I hope she doesn't make it :( RIP.

Is the From Ashes DLC really worth it? I picked up this for like 3 bucks used and I'm pretty leery on dropping 10 more for DLC. And if I do buy/install it, can I use it this playthrough? Started off the game at level 30 I assume because I used a savegame from ME1+ME2. Feels good man :banjo:

One last thing; I've heard a lot about how the ending to this game sucks but I'm just going to treat this like the newest Die Hard film. Sure it won't be as good as the first few but I can laugh at it's mistakes and enjoy the spectacle while it's going on.
If you really do mean to write about your virgin Mass Effect 3 experience I'd suggest writing it on a blog instead. Make a tumblr or something so people don't have to slog through forum posts just to see what you have to say.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

If you really do mean to write about your virgin Mass Effect 3 experience I'd suggest writing it on a blog instead. Make a tumblr or something so people don't have to slog through forum posts just to see what you have to say.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to slog through posts about Mass Effect 3 in the Mass Effect 3 thread either.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This thread moves so fast.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Haha, I just looked at my war assets for the first time. Already a full green bar thanks to all of my N7 promotions from multiplayer. That should unlock a secret ending where the Alliance just annihilates the Reapers from orbit the second they enter the Sol relay.

You can tell Team Bioware wanted to integrate war assets into the game in a more meaningful way but likely ran out of time + ideas. It'd be cooler if it worked more like Inquisition's war table where assets are an expendable resource that you deploy to gain access to missions, and you can't logistically do every mission in a single playthrough, so you really have to choose which conflicts you wanted to resolve before the final battle.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

fennesz posted:

Ok so I finished the first two prologue missions. Initial thoughts:
1. Space boobs are huge.
2. Who the gently caress is James?
3. I love that combat is comprised of a larger number of weaker enemies.
4. Face to face with Hackett. Finally.
e: 5. My custom female Shepard still looks good! :smug:
e: 6. The elevator AI has a lisp. Haha

Oh and I'm playing on Hardcore.

I didn't like that ME2 had every enemy with a shield/barrier/armor to start with so powers were more or less useless. ME3 spawns leader enemies with increased defenses but more pawns with no barriers, just health. I like that a lot. More heads to shoot and bodies to throw off of ledges, I just hope it doesn't shift sometime in the future. For the moment playing insanely aggressive as a Vanguard is still satisfying as ever. Oh and I'm watching Ashley get carted to the ICU right now. I hope she doesn't make it :( RIP.

Is the From Ashes DLC really worth it? I picked up this for like 3 bucks used and I'm pretty leery on dropping 10 more for DLC. And if I do buy/install it, can I use it this playthrough? Started off the game at level 30 I assume because I used a savegame from ME1+ME2. Feels good man :banjo:

One last thing; I've heard a lot about how the ending to this game sucks but I'm just going to treat this like the newest Die Hard film. Sure it won't be as good as the first few but I can laugh at it's mistakes and enjoy the spectacle while it's going on.

Download the "Extended Cut" and the ending won't burn you quite as bad. Also both From Ashes and Citadel are well worth the price; From Ashes for adding another character who is pretty much essential to the plot and Citadel for being a great "epilogue" to the whole series. The worst thing you can say about Citadel is that it's fan-wank, but looking back on it, most of ME3 is fan-wankery anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I suspect if you're just going through the series for the first time and didn't have to wait 5+ years to see the final resolution of ME3 then the ending, while immensely hacky, will probably not feel so bad. In fact if you take the final choice that 80% of all players make then it will be a perfectly logical and predictable end to the trilogy.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I suspect if you're just going through the series for the first time and didn't have to wait 5+ years to see the final resolution of ME3 then the ending, while immensely hacky, will probably not feel so bad. In fact if you take the final choice that 80% of all players make then it will be a perfectly logical and predictable end to the trilogy.

Well, hardly 'logical' since the Catalyst is pure walking plothole, but the EC is alright as long as you don't think about it very hard or care too much about the story.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Extended Cut makes the ending even worse. At least the original didn't have those dumbass scenes with the Normandy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They could've just removed them from the run to the beam entirely, and also make it so that neither of them walk out with Joker. I don't know why they thought that pick up scene was a good thing to spend time on, it was so silly.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

exquisite tea posted:

Yup, I played through all three mass effect games (2, then 1, then 2 then 3 :downs:) early this year or late last year for the first time. I definitely didn't, and still don't, understand the hate and fury that ME3's ending seems to inspire.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lycus posted:

They could've just removed them from the run to the beam entirely, and also make it so that neither of them walk out with Joker. I don't know why they thought that pick up scene was a good thing to spend time on, it was so silly.

You could say the same thing about nearly every scene from the ending (and beginning) of this game, really. They wanted spectacle and familiar Hollywood nonsense above silly things like logic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fraction posted:

Yup, I played through all three mass effect games (2, then 1, then 2 then 3 :downs:) early this year or late last year for the first time. I definitely didn't, and still don't, understand the hate and fury that ME3's ending seems to inspire.

Years of pent-up expectations, combined with Bioware fans, who are exceptionally mentally unstable even among gamers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fraction posted:

ME3's ending in itself just got people severely irritated; it was when we learned how it was made (two of the writing staff basically ran away from the rest of the team, locked themselves in a closet, and scribbled out the whole scenario on a napkin) that everyone went nuclear.

It was also a culmination of the hatedom that Dragon Age 2 started - pissing on Bioware had turned into a pastime and there were an awful lot of people who were waiting for vindication of all their "Bioware sucks" memes. Mass Effect 3's awful ending provided that in spades.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Didn't help that the ending was literally the thing they said it wouldn't be a week before release. :v:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The other thing about the ME3 ending was that doing it without the fan backlash would have been simple - you defeat the Reapers, everyone lives happily ever after, there's a few dramatic sacrifices. It would have fit perfectly with ME's sci-fi adventure aesthetic.

And then we get what is, I suppose, two guys trying to channel something like 2001: A Space Odyssey into their sci-fi action dating movie simulator game.

The other thing is the sheer amount of retcons and stuff that they introduced throughout ME3 to try and justify their ending, and how badly this information was conveyed to the player. The game wants you to think that you can't defeat the Reapers conventionally, but the codex (and multiplayer) says otherwise. The game flat out ignores Harbinger as being anything significant except that there is a codex entry basically going 'this guy is the leader of the Reapers, he's the oldest, biggest one'. It's the small things like that, really, that get to me more than the ending (along with the generally poor Rannoch plot line). Bioware had no idea what they were doing and it shows. It's unfortunate.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 30, 2014

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There was also the whole "Dark Energy" thing they were building up to in ME2 that went nowhere in ME3; not even a mention.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wasn't there a leaked plot that had dark energy in it, before release? I remember it was all people could talk about.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Wasn't there a leaked plot that had dark energy in it, before release? I remember it was all people could talk about.

There was an interview with Drew Kaprshyn where he talked about his original ending before leaving Bioware. Basically, the mass effect was causing dark energy to build up faster and it would eventually consume the universe so the Reapers were trying to solve the issue or something. I dunno the exact details, only that it built off the established universe rather than pulling poo poo out of its rear end like the whole AI vs. Organics thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The dark energy premise also sucked, its only advantage being that it never had to be implemented.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The fallout from the endings was truly a spectacle to behold. Mostly because just when you thought maybe it would start to cool off, something new hit like Weekes' posts, the Final Hours, and finally BioWare saying stupid stuff like "that planet was Earth" and "everyone trapped in Sol".

Finally BioWare had to so something to soothe the frothing masses and so they said "we'll do the Extended Cut, and it will be free", which calmed the storm. And fortunately for BioWare, it was late enough that a lot of people had moved on and good enough that it pleased a lot of people who were left (myself included).

But god, I still feel echos of disappointment when the Final Meeting happens. Then Citadel makes it all better, of course.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

The other thing about the ME3 ending was that doing it without the fan backlash would have been simple - you defeat the Reapers, everyone lives happily ever after, there's a few dramatic sacrifices. It would have fit perfectly with ME's sci-fi adventure aesthetic.

And then we get what is, I suppose, two guys trying to channel something like 2001: A Space Odyssey into their sci-fi action dating movie simulator game.

The other thing is the sheer amount of retcons and stuff that they introduced throughout ME3 to try and justify their ending, and how badly this information was conveyed to the player. The game wants you to think that you can't defeat the Reapers conventionally, but the codex (and multiplayer) says otherwise. The game flat out ignores Harbinger as being anything significant except that there is a codex entry basically going 'this guy is the leader of the Reapers, he's the oldest, biggest one'. It's the small things like that, really, that get to me more than the ending (along with the generally poor Rannoch plot line). Bioware had no idea what they were doing and it shows. It's unfortunate.

Yeah, they actually had to introduce retcons to force the Crucible plotline. Like how the original game established that the Reapers shut down the relays, but Javik mentions fighting them 'from system to system' to kill the idea that the current cycle is very different from the prior ones (and then they get the Citadel but don't shut them down, and apparently the Catalyst was always there but didn't let the Reapers through itself, and wtf, etc). It's fully established that a ship will be toast if it travels too long without passing a planet to vent its drive core, which would have provided a valid reason for the Reapers to be weakened after having to travel to the Milky Way without the Citadel Relay or the Alpha Relay, but no, they are unaffected because Reapers are basically magic now I guess. Even the heavy implications that the Rachni War was Sovereign's first attempt to get to the Citadel was retconned into 'no it was actually the Leviathans'. It's a bad ending on multiple levels, but one of the worst is that it didn't have to be.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lycus posted:

I don't know why they thought that pick up scene was a good thing to spend time on, it was so silly.

"Hey Sovereign! Time out! I need to have a poignant scene with my love interest, no shooting the ship now, remember? I called time."

"HOOOOOONNNNNK"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, they actually had to introduce retcons to force the Crucible plotline. Like how the original game established that the Reapers shut down the relays, but Javik mentions fighting them 'from system to system' to kill the idea that the current cycle is very different from the prior ones (and then they get the Citadel but don't shut them down, and apparently the Catalyst was always there but didn't let the Reapers through itself, and wtf, etc). It's fully established that a ship will be toast if it travels too long without passing a planet to vent its drive core, which would have provided a valid reason for the Reapers to be weakened after having to travel to the Milky Way without the Citadel Relay or the Alpha Relay, but no, they are unaffected because Reapers are basically magic now I guess. Even the heavy implications that the Rachni War was Sovereign's first attempt to get to the Citadel was retconned into 'no it was actually the Leviathans'. It's a bad ending on multiple levels, but one of the worst is that it didn't have to be.

This sums it up well: the game had potential to be a fantastic finale, but the writers threw all that away for half-baked nonsense and incoherent retcon filled rambling about organic vs. synthetic, claiming it was "art" that was "too deep" for us.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think it was driven by another dumb scene, where your favorite characters (your love interest and most-used ally, respectively), presumably the ones you're most likely to bring when you're doing the final push, are magically not dead when harbinger zaps you and teleport to the Normandy in time for it to make its escape.

Basically the endings are still bad, and composed of crap layered upon crap.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

QuantaStarFire posted:

There was an interview with Drew Kaprshyn where he talked about his original ending before leaving Bioware. Basically, the mass effect was causing dark energy to build up faster and it would eventually consume the universe so the Reapers were trying to solve the issue or something. I dunno the exact details, only that it built off the established universe rather than pulling poo poo out of its rear end like the whole AI vs. Organics thing.

Seeing how the Geth Quarian conflict was discussed in detail in ME1 I would say that the dark matter plot is the one that was pulled out of rear end in ME2. When they started talking about novas happening for no reason, for a moment there I was afraid they were going to rehash the Freespace plot even more than they already had.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

For real why are turrets more powerful than any other enemy in the game by a factor of 10?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fraction posted:

People were mad because they played the other games in the series for years and were told their choices could have effects on the ending. It turned out that wasn't true and it was just pick ending a, b, or c.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
give me a mass effect strategy game built like coh i would die happy

orrrrr GTA: citadel edition

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

White Phosphorus posted:

Seeing how the Geth Quarian conflict was discussed in detail in ME1 I would say that the dark matter plot is the one that was pulled out of rear end in ME2. When they started talking about novas happening for no reason, for a moment there I was afraid they were going to rehash the Freespace plot even more than they already had.

Yes, but it was hardly the only conflict. Claiming that to be the biggest thing in the series that, apparently, every species ever eventually reaches which will doom us all unless we let robot squids kill us in the most horrible ways imaginable is just insulting.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Sky Shadowing posted:

The fallout from the endings was truly a spectacle to behold. Mostly because just when you thought maybe it would start to cool off, something new hit like Weekes' posts, the Final Hours, and finally BioWare saying stupid stuff like "that planet was Earth" and "everyone trapped in Sol".
I don't think it would have blown up as much if game journalists hadn't flocked to defend it against the "entitled babies" who dared question Bioware's perfect artistic vision. Even Bioware quickly shut up and went into damage control mode, but then you had all the people who had given it 100% scores leaping into the fray to defend themselves.

Spacebump posted:

People were mad because they played the other games in the series for years and were told their choices could have effects on the ending. It turned out that wasn't true and it was just pick ending a, b, or c.
A/B/C wasn't the problem with the ending. DX:HR had a "push button, get cutscene" ending, and people still enjoyed the game. The trouble was everything surrounding that choice. Nothing you do throughout the game has any lasting impact except for enabling one (worst) choice. The options feel like a trap, since they're handed down from the villain (who had only been mentioned once in the entire series, in passing, in a DLC), and the choices all contradict the values Shepard has fought for through the series. Once you make the choice, you get a vague, mostly-identical cutscene, no matter what you picked, and people reasonably conclude -- based on a DLC that specifically led into ME3 -- that they had just blown up the galaxy and hosed off to Someplace Else.

The extended cut, as flawed as it is, at least gives us a hint at how Bioware interprets each of those endings, rather than just, "Everyone dies but Joker's hat is alive now."

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

A/B/C wasn't the problem with the ending. DX:HR had a "push button, get cutscene" ending, and people still enjoyed the game.
I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution directly after Mass Effect 3, so for me the best thing about the ending was that it made me appreciate DX:HR all the more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It all actually makes perfect sense: The synthetic vs. organic solution was not a galactic inevitability but simply the basis for the original Reaper protocol. The Crucible (etymology: a trial, an ordeal, from Latin crux, cross) built by Shepard was the anomaly that caused the Reaper protocol, i.e. the Catalyst to reconsider his programming. By choosing to become the Reaper protocol itself in the Control scenario, the only ending that matters, Shepard thereby replaces it, destroying the Old Gods and ascending to the New Pantheon. Mass Effect 3, the most brilliant game ever written.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to slog through posts about Mass Effect 3 in the Mass Effect 3 thread either.

Kurtofan posted:

This thread moves so fast.
It's also loving hard to read walls of text in a forum post.

fennesz,

Just wordpress that poo poo man. Link it back here and maybe if you're good enough a site will pick up on your wacky adventures.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I don't think it would have blown up as much if game journalists hadn't flocked to defend it against the "entitled babies" who dared question Bioware's perfect artistic vision. Even Bioware quickly shut up and went into damage control mode, but then you had all the people who had given it 100% scores leaping into the fray to defend themselves.

Aside from Colin Moriarty who do you think actually crossed a line in that manner their defence of the ending?

Also, when you're demanding Bioware give you a do-over while sending death threats, yeah, you're acting entitled at best.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

FronzelNeekburm posted:

A/B/C wasn't the problem with the ending. DX:HR had a "push button, get cutscene" ending, and people still enjoyed the game.
Actually the "push buttan for ending" was a criticism against Deus Ex: Human Revolution that I recall coming up from anyone who finished the game. Didn't it come up on the Bombcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Actually the "push buttan for ending" was a criticism against Deus Ex: Human Revolution that I recall coming up from anyone who finished the game. Didn't it come up on the Bombcast?

Yeah, that ending loving sucked and everyone knew it.

• Locked thread