Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm going to choose to interpret this as "There is no better gaming than bad gaming." You heard Lightning Lord, everyone, play the worst games you can find.

Finally, Conspiracy X 1.0, finally.
This is why I try to say "Not gaming is better than bad gaming" if it comes up.

Also SenZar from a reading seems like it might actually be fun t play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zereth posted:

Also SenZar from a reading seems like it might actually be fun t play.

It is very much the Most Metallest Game ever written.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
You guys should post those resolutions here. :getin:

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Lightning Lord posted:

While an RPG player's mantra should indeed be "No Gaming is Better Than Bad Gaming" don't let mechanical quibbles get in the way of gaming that you know will be fun. That being said, don't be afraid to bow out if things aren't gelling for specifically mechanical reasons - I was having fun running a Pathfinder game last year because of the players and the situations, (and yes I mean 2014!) but I had to kill it because I just couldn't take the mechanics anymore and we couldn't agree on what to switch to. Unfortunate, but better that the game be put to pasture instead of becoming something we all resented.

I prefer playing Pathfinder over 3.5, but I don't find 3.5 that bad. For all the complaints about the two systems, I've had fun playing them both. If the mechanics really bothered me, then I wouldn't be playing.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
My real concern is finding a new job (and it looks like I pretty much have to wait until next week to make more progress on that), but gaming-wise I want to actually finish some games. Right now I literally have 5 games ready for playtesting. I also want to get more into online gaming, since getting people together in person has been getting more difficult lately.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

PuttyKnife posted:

This year I am hoping to go to ... Gencon. I haven't gone for 14 years!
Hell yeah! See you there!

I will be posting the 2015 thread sooner than usual, as it DOES functionally start a month nearly this year!

Lord Frisk posted:

Just had a buddy over and made tentative plans for GenCon 2015. Board game room here I come.
See you too!

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Going to try some crazy rear end board games in the new gaming cafe in copenhagen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

Hell yeah! See you there!

I will be posting the 2015 thread sooner than usual, as it DOES functionally start a month nearly this year!

See you too!

Registration opens this month! I was going to bump the old thread that day assuming it isn't in archives.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Registration opens this month! I was going to bump the old thread that day assuming it isn't in archives.
I think things have started taking much longer to be archived; I know Traditional Games was always a bit more forgiving in that manner than other subforums, but both of my threads that died in September are still around, and one was in regular Games.

I put out a call in August for submitting Gen-Con photos for this year's thread, but I might as well repeat it here. Point me to your Gen-Con photos! I will likely use them! Or e-mail them to me if you are ashamed to have them directly connected to you! @GMail.com!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Actually, threads haven't been being archived for a while due to an issue with the archival script being separate from the thread pruning script causing a lot of posts to be lost. Thanks Radium.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

I think things have started taking much longer to be archived; I know Traditional Games was always a bit more forgiving in that manner than other subforums, but both of my threads that died in September are still around, and one was in regular Games.

I put out a call in August for submitting Gen-Con photos for this year's thread, but I might as well repeat it here. Point me to your Gen-Con photos! I will likely use them! Or e-mail them to me if you are ashamed to have them directly connected to you! @GMail.com!

When I get home I'll gather my pictures from the last few years and send them to you. I'm hoping this year to get more gaming in. A family crisis pretty much put me in a drunken stupor from Friday to Sunday.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So, I already made a post in the Recruitment Megathread, but I just want to get some more sets of eyes on this.

Short version: I wrote up a fairly lite, d20-ish game.
Recruit thread is here, rules text is here.

If there is some kind of homebrew thread that people actually read/play games from, just point me in that direction and I'll post there.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

When I get home I'll gather my pictures from the last few years and send them to you. I'm hoping this year to get more gaming in. A family crisis pretty much put me in a drunken stupor from Friday to Sunday.
Did you talk about that in the thread? I feel like someone was discussing a family crisis, though that might have been in the GroupMe chat too and I could have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I do hope your 2015 is infinitely better, though!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

Did you talk about that in the thread? I feel like someone was discussing a family crisis, though that might have been in the GroupMe chat too and I could have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I do hope your 2015 is infinitely better, though!

It might have been. My mom has a leaky heart valve and a doctor at one hospital saw it in a scan and went "oh poo poo your heart is exploding. let's helicopter you to cleveland clinic and you might die before you get there." And when she go to the Cleveland Clinic they did the same scan and went "Okay? This is literally something we knew about that isn't a big deal at all."

Is your email just quarex at gmail.com?

Edit: Sorry Quarex :(

Len fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 4, 2015

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

It might have been. My mom has a leaky heart valve and a doctor at one hospital saw it in a scan and went "oh poo poo your heart is exploding. let's helicopter you to cleveland clinic and you might die before you get there." And when she go to the Cleveland Clinic they did the same scan and went "Okay? This is literally something we knew about that isn't a big deal at all."
Hah, ugh. Well at least it went from "incredibly terrible news" to "oh, dammit. Jerks. Ruining my mom's day AND my Gen-Con."

Len posted:

Is your email just quarexATLOLgmailDOTLOLcom?
MY PRECIOUS E-MAIL

THE SPAM

OH GOD

*deluge*

:kraken:

But yes, that is it.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 6, 2015

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I've been out of touch with the hobby for the better part of a year, I think. Have I missed any important, game-changing news in the world of traditional games? From a cursory look around, it seems D&D 5th edition is in full swing, and Worlds in Peril and The Sprawl AW hacks have been funded, which is cool, and Dark Ages is still in the works. Have we had any cool new releases, indie or otherwise, of the You Should Really Know About This Game kind?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I once saw somebody post about a medieval game that dealt with taking up play as offspring when your PC dies. Does anyone know what that game is and if there are other games that deal with generational gameplay?

XTOwl
Aug 22, 2013

N. Senada posted:

I once saw somebody post about a medieval game that dealt with taking up play as offspring when your PC dies. Does anyone know what that game is and if there are other games that deal with generational gameplay?

I think you might be wanting Hero's Banner, found here: http://www.tckroleplaying.com/herosbanner/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

N. Senada posted:

Pendragon?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

N. Senada posted:

Sounds like Pendragon, the game of Arthurian knights and chivalry. If you're interested in generational roleplaying with a more post-apocalyptic feel, my game Legacy: Life Among the Ruins recently kickstartered, and while the full game won't be out for a few months there's a beta playtest version available for free here.

Basically it builds on the Apocalypse World engine by giving each player control of both a family of survivors and a character from that family. With each generation, starting with the generation immediately after the apocalypse, you make a new character and use their skills, the abilities of the family and the inherited relics of past generations to solve the problems of this generation. Then you move the time line forward another generation, think up new problems, and repeat.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I was thinking of Pendragon, but I'm going to check out that Hero's Banner as well as your game Flav.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Where should I get started on RuneQuest (OpenQuest?). I've heard some things about this system's magic and I want to see what a percentile-based engine is like.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I, too, am going to Gen Con for the second year in a row! I know this because I've already got a hotel room lined up about two blocks away from the convention. A few words of advice to anyone here who's thinking about Gen Con:

The first thing you absolutely need to take care of, as soon as possible, is where you are staying. You have a few methods for achieving this, in order of preference:

1. Live in Indianapolis and/or have friends who live there that you can stay with. The latter is better because you'll save on housing costs, since friends will let you stay for free right?

2a. Reserve the hotels in advance, outside of the Gen Con registration period. This is extremely difficult - many of the hotels are already 'booked solid' by Gen Con itself for the duration of the convention in order to keep prices low. Those that do have rooms available have them at an extreme premium, considering the overall quality of the hotel. When I made the reservations in late November I couldn't help but notice the Hampton Inn, which had rooms, was going for $350/night. Note: Today might already be too late to get a hotel room. If not now, then almost certainly by the day registration opens.

2b. Use Airbnb to find someone who is renting out their apartment/condo for the weekend. You'll be able to do this well before the Gen Con hotel registration period. It might cost a little more, but having a place in advance will make the days leading up to August rest that much easier.

3. Wait for the Gen Con Housing Portal to open. I used this method last year. The best way to describe it is 'Internet Vietnam'. To put it in perspective, imagine this - last year, 54,000 people went to Gen Con. Let's assume that 25% of them made reservations in advance, either by living close enough to the convention or by getting a room beforehand (or by being Scott Kurtz and the Penny Arcade crew, who I saw in the expensive hotel right next to the convention probably because they were comped VIG passes by Wizards for their live-plays at PAX - more on VIG passes in a moment). So now we're left with 40,500 people in the pool. Let's assume that 50%, or about half of them, are savvy enough to realize that they need to get into the door right now in order to get a hotel close to the convention. That's 20,250 people trying to access the same portal at the same time. My assumptions are generous and probably inaccurate, but the point I'm trying to convey is this - there are a poo poo-ton of people all accessing one web portal at the same time to try to gobble up hotel rooms like hicks at a Wal-Mart Black Friday sale. The Gen Con servers this past year were unable to handle the stress of so many people trying to take so many actions at the same time - I waited in line for 15-30 minutes to try to gain access, only to be booted off while I was reserving rooms and forced to wait in the same line again. By the time I got back into the system, the closest hotel with rooms for all three nights was seven miles away.

The problem is, unless you know someone who lives in Indy or you use Airbnb, there aren't many ways for the average person to get around the Gen Con Housing Portal. The advantage to the housing portal is that the prices are at typical market rates - in other words, fairly normal and not subject to supply and demand price changes - but the system is ludicrously fragile. You could try to do what a lot of people do and stay in a different hotel every night, but that means moving your car and your poo poo all over the place. Personally, I like to stay put.

There are a few ways to get around it though, but they require you to be somewhat connected.

1. Make friends with a VIG!
A VIG (or very important gamer) is somebody who's got premium passes to the convention. One perk of these premium passes is that they can get access to the housing portal much earlier than everybody else and will more than likely get a room next to the convention center for every day of the convention. Unfortunately, there are very few VIG passes sold every year to the general public - the system does not let a lot of new people in, as the previous year's VIGs are given first crack at the VIG passes for the upcoming year.

However, VIGs come with another benefit - they can give out/sell guest VIG passes which, although they don't come with as many bells and whistles, gives you the early access to the housing portal and first shot at VIG passes for the next year's convention (I may be wrong on the latter, but the former is true).

Making friends with one, then, is a very profitable endeavor. Plus, you have so much in common, like board gaming! Though there are a few VIGs whose friendship with regards to the guest passes is up for sale though - a handy way to make back the cost of the VIG pass, to be certain. With regards to that, VIG passes are much more expensive than the normal passes, but the early access to housing alone is probably worth the price of admission, not to mention all of the other benefits.

2. Be a member or know a member of one of those fancy hotel clubs, like Hilton HHonors
Fun fact - I guarantee you that the hotels do not give up all of their rooms to Gen Con in order to keep a few in reserve for their members. Having an in with one of these clubs (as a friend of mine did) will give you the chance to reserve rooms, though at a premium.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

gradenko_2000 posted:

Where should I get started on RuneQuest (OpenQuest?). I've heard some things about this system's magic and I want to see what a percentile-based engine is like.

I don't know much about the versions, but I heard RuneQuest 6 was good, and it's the latest version put out one or two years ago. Which is why I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. It supposedly strips out much of the Glorantha-specific setting stuff, to be more generic, which I guess other editions didn't do even though there have been separate books for Glorantha anyway?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 5, 2015

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

In a shorter post, does anyone have access to first End of the World book released by FFG? If so, what are your opinions on it?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
On the topic of GenCon, do exhibitors get access to special housing blocks? or do they have to brave the free-for-all? I'm thinking of getting/sharing a both this year, and need to figure out the logistics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Last year was the first year we had any issue with the housing In the four years we went to Gencon. I personally blame the fact I didn't do the hotel booking this time around but booking without the housing portal just sounds like an all around better idea and I'm not sure why we didn't think of it.

That is for that.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bucnasti posted:

On the topic of GenCon, do exhibitors get access to special housing blocks? or do they have to brave the free-for-all? I'm thinking of getting/sharing a both this year, and need to figure out the logistics.

I wouldn't know, but I imagine that GenCon would not subject them to internet vietnam given that exhibitors have to shell out a lot of cash to attend the convention.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Oh god the Gen-Con thread is needed already, I will try to get it posted tonight.

Edit: Nah, tomorrow. I would have a little more repeated from last year's thread than I would like if I did it tonight.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 6, 2015

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Bucnasti posted:

Yes they do. They register for rooms at a separate date as well so they don't have to worry about the rush.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

P.d0t posted:

So, I already made a post in the Recruitment Megathread, but I just want to get some more sets of eyes on this.

Short version: I wrote up a fairly lite, d20-ish game.
Recruit thread is here, rules text is here.

If there is some kind of homebrew thread that people actually read/play games from, just point me in that direction and I'll post there.

Aw dang, I just missed this. Oh well. I look forward to seeing how this goes. I love rules-lite systems.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Aw dang, I just missed this. Oh well. I look forward to seeing how this goes. I love rules-lite systems.

Go ahead and make a dude, the more player input the merrier.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

P.d0t posted:

Go ahead and make a dude, the more player input the merrier.

Since you already started that poo poo, I just want to make sure I have everything alright.

Shlavi the Paladin.

HP: 9
Defense: 1d20 + 1d10

Attack: 1d20
Melee: 1d10
Ranged: 1d10

Class Features
Holy Aura: Deal 1d10 to an enemy that disengages, add 1d10 to a teammate's defense when attacked by an enemy engaged with me, androll advantage against an enemy engaged with me.
Zeal: If not currently engaged wtih an enemy, I may make up to 3 melee attacks, which are Adv, Norm, Dis. I can use a tradeoff roll with a penalty of HP and a benefit of +roll to myself or a teammate.
Lay On Hands: If not engaged, and on my turn, I may restore the hp of one ally of my choosing. Restore 1d10. Anything above their max hp is temporary.

Class Skills
FORT
- Athletics: Swim, climb, run, break
- Intimidation
- Knowledge: First Aid, Medicine

Influence
- FORT: Intimidate
- INT: Bluff
- WIS: Animal Handling
- CHA: Persuasion

Detect
- DEX: search
- INT: investigate
- WIS: perception
- CHA: insight

Skill Expertise: Advantage on the 1d10 component of
CHA: detect
CHA: influence

Initiate + Class Skill
Athletics (FORT or AGIL): You charge into battle. On a success, you may Engage one enemy who is lower than you on initiative, before combat starts.
WIS (Detection): You keep a lookout for ambushes. On a success, you can reveal one Hidden enemy who is lower than you on initiative.

In-combat + Class Skills: uses your Action, gain benefit on successful check
- [Stabilize] FORT (Knowledge): A dropped ally can roll their class die with disadvantage and gain that much HP
- [Grapple] FORT (Athletics): Restrain an enemy Engaged with you
- [Intimidation] FORT (Influence): force a Restrained enemy to surrender (a.k.a. become Dropped)
- [Deescalate] Influence: reveal a Hidden enemy, or cause an enemy to Disengage you and your allies

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Since you already started that poo poo, I just want to make sure I have everything alright.

Shlavi the Paladin.

Looks good, just keep in mind:
Holy Aura: The Advantage is on attack rolls
Zeal: The Adv/Norm/Dis is on the damage rolls

By player request, we're doing the game in the Recruit thread, so breaking the continuity for gamist/rules bullshit reasons is going to be A Thing anyway; adding a new player shouldn't be any worse.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading through RuneQuest 6 Essentials and something that immediately jumped out to me were sidebars where the writer explains the reasoning behind a particular rule or abstraction. I've only see this in one other place outside of video games, some Eastern Front boardgame where the designer takes similar "breaks" in the flow of the rules to offer a historical tidbit about how why a rule was made that way.

I feel like that's a practice that could stand to be adopted by more designers (unless it already is and I just don't read enough). Granted, in video games we usually see it in blog posts and patch notes and the likes, but we do see it, and the increased transparency couldn't hurt.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Shlavi the Paladin.

Yay more people! :toot:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm reading through RuneQuest 6 Essentials and something that immediately jumped out to me were sidebars where the writer explains the reasoning behind a particular rule or abstraction. I've only see this in one other place outside of video games, some Eastern Front boardgame where the designer takes similar "breaks" in the flow of the rules to offer a historical tidbit about how why a rule was made that way.

I feel like that's a practice that could stand to be adopted by more designers (unless it already is and I just don't read enough). Granted, in video games we usually see it in blog posts and patch notes and the likes, but we do see it, and the increased transparency couldn't hurt.

Off the top of my head 13th Age does this with both Tweet and Heinsoo commenting. Evil Hat sort of does it, most hilariously in Dresden Files. The Dresden Files RPG is written as a draft of the game, written by Billy the Werewolf (a recurring character in the Dresden Universe) in part as a teaching aid - and there are (pictures of) post-it notes and scrawls all over the margins written by Billy, Harry Dresden, and Bob The Talking Skull - either asking questions, explaining what's going on, or just teasing each other.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Greg Stolze has done the same in Reign too, explaining the whole thing about why all cavalry is women and why you can't kill people who have tried to surrender.. It's in my opinion a really good idea, does wonders for the first-time readers ability to get what's going on.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's especially good/funny in 13th Age because sometimes one designer or the other will just cop to it that they didn't mess overmuch with a system because D20 Tradition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

neonchameleon posted:

Off the top of my head 13th Age does this with both Tweet and Heinsoo commenting.

I completely forgot about that, but yeah 13th Age does do it pretty well too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's especially good/funny in 13th Age because sometimes one designer or the other will just cop to it that they didn't mess overmuch with a system because D20 Tradition.

I love it when one of them admits they don't like a mechanic that the other guy wrote.

• Locked thread