Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Looks like the Medicare thing will be another fiasco for Abbott. It will last for 2 weeks, get hammered every day in the media for it, and then lose the vote.

Todays AM started it's interview with Clive Palmer "My Palmer, why is your party now the most hated in Queensland?", followed up with "My Palmer, why are all your candidates friends and family of you?", without actually saying who they were talking about (Clive said it was about 3 people, I suspect it's more, but it's not like Labour and Liberal arn't like that too. A lot of Labour and Liberal are ex-staffers and admin people, Premier of QLD being one of them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

Meh.

More poo poo behaviour encouraged by advocate parasites bleeding because the gravy train has been stopped by the Government.

Graic Gabtar posted:

I don't think so. We made it to 50k onshore in no time.

You can't throw out the OMG 400K number without acknowledging to cost savings from having off shore detention as a deterrent.

All pointless arguing though as until advocacy parasites start putting as much energy into battling causes of mass immigration as opposed to shrill tanties directed to the government that happens to be the last link in a people smuggling chain people are either going to allowed in or not based on opinion polls not need.
please euthanise yourself at the earliest opportunity

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Anidav posted:

Most Unbiased front page, Courier Mail. Thanks for the AUTOPLAYING video.

I like how they felt that the word strong needed to be bolded.

I'd like to think that an editor spends half an hour a day going through all the articles about to be published and changing the fonts of particular words to give unsubtle hints how their read's should feel about them.

Tony Abbot going to need to change that to impact and possible some heart emoticons on either side, oh Bill shorten, hmm maybe put that in italics so he looks feminine and possibly french, therefore untrustworthy. Greens, childish defiantly comic sans, Palmer yep time to bring out the wingdings.

Think I'll be disappointed now if I ever do see a physical copy of the courier mail and its not written out like a 90's teens first geocities site.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graic Gabtar posted:

I don't think so. We made it to 50k onshore in no time.

You can't throw out the OMG 400K number without acknowledging to cost savings from having off shore detention as a deterrent.

All pointless arguing though as until advocacy parasites start putting as much energy into battling causes of mass immigration as opposed to shrill tanties directed to the government that happens to be the last link in a people smuggling chain people are either going to allowed in or not based on opinion polls not need.

Why is it necessary to battle mass immigration? What makes mass immigration a bad thing?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Les Affaires posted:

Why is it necessary to battle mass immigration? What makes mass immigration a bad thing?

Racism.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

Can you imagine how poo poo Australian food would be without mass immigration?

Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, French, they have all improved what I shovel into my face and this nation is better for it. I can't wait till some African restaurants start influencing things.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

Depends what you mean by 'Mass immigration', like what sort of volume and what sort of distribution. It can be an issue if you don't plan for and spend money on infrastructure to take account of it.

Generally though when people say mass immigration they don't define terms. Just having a look through http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_refugee_population and you have the country that took the secound most refugees this year Jordan, Population 6.3 million with 2.4 million refugees. Something like that is going to gently caress up a country badly. Something like that I would have no problems calling mass migration. When people use the term in Australian context I literally don't know what sort of numbers their talking about. Unless they actually are talking about adjacent to a country in the middle of civil conflict type migration though we'd likely be fine. The fact that 27.7% (as of June last year) of the Australian population are currently migrants is pretty good evidence Australia can take a poo poo load of migrants, and still be a pretty all right country.

If Australia actually went and spent a bit more on improving pubic transport, water supply, transportation and education we could fit quite a lot more people easily with little hassle and in the end be a far more prosperous country for it.
If we did increase immigration rates a lot but didn't increase the amount spent on infrastructure, yeah quality of life would drop a touch sure but we could take a hell of a lot more people before it became noticeable. Also I couldn't really imagine what sort of goverment would massively increase immigration and not spend a dime more on infrastructure. What ever type of government, it would be a one term one for sure.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Can you imagine how poo poo Australian food would be without mass immigration?

Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, French, they have all improved what I shovel into my face and this nation is better for it. I can't wait till some African restaurants start influencing things.

Also this can not be said enough. Also done wonders for our art scene as well.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 14, 2015

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Cannot believe you guys are getting trolled yet again by negligent and a guy that registered a month ago

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Everyone knows that Negligent is a colossal pile of disingenuous poo poo but it is worth noting that "Asylum seekers living in the community on bridging visas are about 45 times less likely to be charged with a crime than members of the general public."

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/few-asylum-seekers-charged-with-crime-20130228-2f98h.html

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm sure that statistic provides great comfort to the dead woman's family

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Negligent posted:

I'm sure that statistic provides great comfort to the dead woman's family

your poo poo kid

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

also that statistic says nothing about the seriousness of the crimes charged. the proportion of violent offences is higher for refugees whereas for the general population it includes non violent drug offences, traffic offences etc

http://www.news.com.au/national/no-refuge-for-almost-100-asylum-seekers-charged-with-criminal-offences/story-fncynjr2-1226898807994

ALMOST 100 asylum seekers granted bridging visas to live in the community have been charged with criminal offences in the past eight months ­including murder, rape, burglary, and domestic violence, according to data from the ­Department of Immigration.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Victoria Police department officers also claimed in 2012 that Sudanese and Somali immigrants were around five times more likely to commit crimes than other state residents. Internal police figures asserted that the rate of offending in the Sudanese community was 7109.1 per 100,000 individuals, whereas it was said to be 6141.8 per 100,000 for Somalis, and 1301.0 per 100,000 for the wider Victoria community. Robbery and assault were alleged to have been the most common types of crime committed by the Sudanese and Somali residents, with assault purported to represent 29.5% and 24.3% of all offences, respectively.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Police have raided a sex shop in Mackay on Wednesday after two men died from suspected synthetic cannabis poisoning.

A 33-year-old man died in Mackay on Tuesday and another man, 41, who was on life support at the Mackay hospital, died this afternoon after using the synthetic drug.

Several other people have fallen ill with suspected poisoning from the drug.

Stop smoking synthetic poo poo you dumbasses. And stop taking "synthetic" lsd.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Negligent posted:

Victoria Police department officers also claimed in 2012 that Sudanese and Somali immigrants were around five times more likely to commit crimes than other state residents. Internal police figures asserted that the rate of offending in the Sudanese community was 7109.1 per 100,000 individuals, whereas it was said to be 6141.8 per 100,000 for Somalis, and 1301.0 per 100,000 for the wider Victoria community. Robbery and assault were alleged to have been the most common types of crime committed by the Sudanese and Somali residents, with assault purported to represent 29.5% and 24.3% of all offences, respectively.

Here's the rest of that Wikipedia article you didn't quote. It continues mid-paragraph from the above.

Wikipedia posted:

However, the overall proportion of crime in the state said to have been committed by members of the Sudanese community was only 0.92 percent, while it was reportedly 0.35 percent for Somali residents. The police also stated that individuals arrested and charged might have been falsely claiming to belong to each community, and that it was meeting with local representatives as part of a civic engagement strategy.[39]

In 2010, six applicants brought charges of impropriety against several members of the Victorian Police, the Chief Commissioner of Victoria Police, and the State of Victoria in the Melbourne areas of Flemington and Kensington. The ensuing Haile-Michael v Konstantinidis case alleged various forms of mistreatment by the public officials in violation of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975. In March 2012, an order of discovery was made, whereby established statistician Ian Gordon of the University of Melbourne independently analysed Victorian Police LEAP data from Flemington and North Melbourne (2005-2008). The report concluded that residents from Africa were two and a half times more likely to be subjected to an arbitrary "stop and search" than their numbers in the area would suggest is appropriate. Although the justification provided for such disproportionate policing measures was over-representation in local crime statistics, the study found that the same police LEAP data in reality showed that male immigrants from Africa on average committed substantially less crime than male immigrants from other backgrounds. Despite this, the latter alleged male offenders were observed to be 8.5 times more likely not to be the subject of a police "field contact". The case was eventually settled on 18 February 2013, with a landmark agreement that the Victoria Police would publicly review its "field contact" and training processes. The inquiry is expected to help police identify areas where discrimination in the criminal justice system has the potential to or does occur; implement institutional reforms as pre-emptive measures in terms of training, policy and practice; predicate changes on international law enforcement best practices; ammeliorate the local police's interactions with new immigrants and ethnic minorities, as well as with the Aboriginal community; and serve as a benchmark for proper conduct vis-a-vis other police departments throughout the country.[40][41]

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Hmm I wonder why the language shifted from 'claimed', 'allegedly', 'purported', 'asserted' in the first paragraph Negligent quoted to the certainty in the second paragraph I supplied. I can't work it out. Can you?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Tommofork posted:

Here's the rest of that Wikipedia article you didn't quote. It continues mid-paragraph from the above.

You can tell Negligent is Christian because he's arguing in bad faith.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

katlington posted:

Hey watch this then post what you think of it for me? Tia.

http://gu.com/p/44pb3

Footage smuggled from inside Manus Island detention centre show detainees on hunger strike and at least one – an Egyptian Christian man whose family is in Australia – who has sewn his lips shut. In one piece of audio, a different man breaks down as he addresses the Australian people: 'We are human beings ... We are begging you, help us'

katlington posted:

Nothing. I just want to know what you think about it. What do you think about it?

katlington posted:

Negligent please answer my question.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I agree with Antlions.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Lid posted:

Stop smoking synthetic poo poo you dumbasses. And stop taking "synthetic" lsd.

If only people didn't feel that they had to turn to synthetic drugs as the legally safer alternative.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

SadisTech posted:

If only people didn't feel that they had to turn to synthetic drugs as the legally safer alternative.

Are they even legal though? Wouldn't they be covered under analogue laws?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Jonah Galtberg posted:

please euthanise yourself at the earliest opportunity
Stay classy Jonah.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Negligent posted:

Citation needed

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Sounds like that Andrew Bolt column that Media Watch took to bits a couple of years ago for being highly selective and disingenuous.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

University fee claim in ad campaign is unverifiable, says Pyne's former adviser

quote:

Last month, Pyne’s office said the advertising was part of an “information campaign focusing on the facts” and would “help to counter any myths and misconceptions about the current higher education system and raise awareness of Hecs”.

The minister’s spokesman said feedback from prospective students at tertiary events indicated “a consistent lack of understanding of Australia’s current higher education system, in particular the status of Hecs”.
Who knows why that could be. Let's make an advertising campaign with misleading information on a bill that hasn't passed, that'll make things clear for people.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Graic Gabtar posted:

Stay classy Jonah.

Real class is saving money by just killing people instead

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

Sounds like that Andrew Bolt column that Media Watch took to bits a couple of years ago for being highly selective and disingenuous.

I've heard every racist fearmonger under the sun make the claim, but never any discussion about prejudicial profiling by police or the visibility of minorities.

Thanks to person above who deconstructed the issue marvelously.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-only-man-really-there-was-the-man-with-the-gun-fred-nile-on-martin-place-siege-20150114-12qlcz.html

I tend to agree that giving every hostage a bravery medal is OTT but then again Fred Nile feels this so I think this view must be wrong.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
But where is the gunman's bravery medal? He was the most courageous person of all.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Tommofork posted:

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Thanks to person above who deconstructed the issue marvelously.

I really appreciate it when people spend the extra couple of minutes digging to find the evidence to refute claims such as the one by Negligent.

Nice work mate :golfclap:

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Anidav posted:

Most Unbiased front page, Courier Mail. Thanks for the AUTOPLAYING video.

The Guardian already beat them a couple of days ago:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2015/jan/13/campbell-newman-strong-queensland-election-2015-video

Well worth a watch.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Adnar posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/the-only-man-really-there-was-the-man-with-the-gun-fred-nile-on-martin-place-siege-20150114-12qlcz.html

I tend to agree that giving every hostage a bravery medal is OTT but then again Fred Nile feels this so I think this view must be wrong.

You can come to the same point by taking a different path. Being a hostage is a terrifying ordeal but to me, bravery is doing something to resolve a dangerous situation while exposing yourself to that danger. Not sure that applies?

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 15, 2015

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Strong plan strong team strong fiscal management strong strong strong
*poll numbers rise*

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
My strong, courageous breasts.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
*pants members rise*

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
CAMPBELL NEWMAN HAS A TINY PEEEEEE-NUHHHHHSSS!

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

TG-Chrono posted:

You can come to the same point by taking a different path. Being a hostage is a terrifying ordeal but to me, bravery is doing something to resolve a dangerous situation while exposing yourself to that danger. Not sure that applies?

Basically this. No one really deserves a bravery medal for going through and then escaping a hugely traumatic situation, but it's not because they are a bunch of men who didn't live up to whatever Arab-smashing chivalric Crusader code Nile is stroking his dick over. He's using yet another horrible event to once against push a toxic masculine narrative because the only thing he loves flogging more than lil Fred is medieval cultural mores which never even truly existed in the first place.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

CAMPBELL NEWMAN HAS A TINY PEEEEEE-NUHHHHHSSS!

But it's very strong...

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

asio posted:

Real class is saving money by just killing people instead

no u see parasitic advocates are just upset cuz they can no longer profit from asylum seekers because the government has stopped the gravy train. now only noble companies like G4S and Transfield can suck from government teat, all is well.

Sorry, not sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Hey Negligent when are you going to start admitting that all the claims you have made that aren't merely opinion have been completely refuted. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

Then can you let us know why you are only replying to selected posters.

Of course you wouldn't have to do any of this hard work if you were to say, go on a permanent hunger strike.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-15/asylum-seeker-on-manus-island-swallows-razor-blades/6018102

quote:

Asylum seeker on Manus Island 'swallows razor blades' in protest at detention

By Papua New Guinea correspondent Liam Cochrane Updated about an hour ago Thu 15 Jan 2015, 9:12am

An Egyptian asylum seeker is believed to be undergoing medical treatment on Manus Island after swallowing razor blades in a protest against his detention. The 39-year-old asylum seeker was said to be part of Egypt's minority Christian community, fleeing religious persecution. The ABC spoke to an asylum seeker who said he translated for health workers treating the man. "He go and swallow four razor [blades]. He vomit one and three [are] still inside his body," the Middle Eastern man said. "I was there, I was with him, I went with him to the medical, to IHMS [contractor International Health and Medical Services] to translate for him because he refused to get anyone with him." The Egyptian man's health began to deteriorate rapidly, according to the witness. "His body become white, his skin become totally white... and his leg... become blue, so terrible." The claim could not be independently verified but it came as other asylum seekers sewed their lips together in acts of increasing desperation.

Asylum seekers said hundreds were participating in a hunger strike and the ABC had obtained photographs of eight different men with their lips sewn together. The Egyptian asylum seeker reportedly stitched his lips together on Tuesday, but health workers convinced him to remove the stitches and accept medical treatment in exchange for a phone call to his sister in Sydney. An asylum seeker who spoke to the ABC said 15 people had sewn their lips together and 400 men were on a hunger strike. "They start begging him and they made a deal with him, they said we'll let you call your sister if you get your lips out." The asylum seeker who spoke to the ABC said the three razor blades remained inside the Egyptian man. "All of them are still inside his body. When I was there they were telling him that they would make [an] X-ray to him."

The Middle Eastern man translating was sent back to his compound and the current condition of the Egyptian asylum seeker was not known.

Australia's Immigration Department released a statement on Wednesday.

"The Government is advised by the department that a number of transferees have engaged in a peaceful protest and that media reporting that transferees are refusing food and fluid is incorrect," a department spokesman said. "Centre staff are engaging with the group. "Limited water restrictions are in place at the centre, but water production is meeting the centre's needs. "Supplies of bottled water are readily available." A notice posted on social media said equipment providing water to the Regional Processing Centre had broken down. "For transferees, this means that you can't have showers today but you can continue to use the washing machines [which use a different system to provide water]."

It noted that staff would not be able to wash clothes or shower until the problem was fixed. Another problem adding to tension on the island was the reported lack of pay for locally-hired guards, under the control of Wilson Security. Almost a year ago, local guards, support staff, police and residents stormed the detention centre, beating Iranian Reza Barati to death and injuring dozens of other asylum seekers.

As of 31 December 2014, 1,035 men remained in detention at the Australian-run facility on Manus Island. The processing of applications was taking place and the PNG government had said 50 men had been given refugee status and would soon be moved to a separate transit centre on Manus Island for language lessons and job placement. However, some asylum seekers said they did not feel safe resettling in PNG and feared attacks by locals. They had vowed to fast to the death.

Also Ratbag read backwards is Gabtar. I think that tells you everything you need to know as an Aus Pol poster.

Please don't make me put up the Raptorfag call sign.

More fruit picking stuff than you can possibly take:

Mechanisation is going to have to go a very long way before avocados can be mechanically picked. The fruit needs to be cut from the tree and the fruit is exactly the same colour as the foliage at the time that it needs to be picked. So similar that being able to spot the fruit is one of the key skills for a picker. http://www.newgmc.com/gmc_docs/brochures/Avocado.pdf

• Locked thread