Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

NC-17 posted:

The latest report said they were checked 5 minutes before kickoff. Which in *theory* you'd think means the balls must already be outside at that point.

Wait, they were checked by officials and approved 5 minutes before kickoff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Ryan just compared this to Watergate :stare:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I can't believe this is still a story.

go patriots, hail satan

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

NC-17 posted:

The latest report said they were checked 5 minutes before kickoff. Which in *theory* you'd think means the balls must already be outside at that point.

Where's this from? Because if the balls are already outside, then when the hell did they deflate them?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So apparently it's been confirmed that the balls used by the Patriots in the second half were the ref approved backup balls, meaning the original ones were taken out of circulation. So the Patriots scored 28 points and were nearly flawless in the second half with the properly inflated balls, after struggling with the bad balls in the first.

Which begs the question. Why on loving Earth did the team mess with the balls at all? This makes me feel worse because it has to be the most stupid way to cheat of all time because it was soooo unnecessary. They might have won 60 to 7 if they just followed the goddamned rules.

Because cheating loving rules and is funny

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I think that's like realizing you were wasting your time counting cards at blackjack because you got dealt great cards that night. Beforehand you prep to take every edge you can but if things go your way it might not be necessary. It's still dumb though, there's no reason to elaborately break the rules like this when you already have a great team on the field. Getting caught just tarnishes that

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dirt Worshipper posted:

@AbramsonPBP: Vegas has 15-2 odds that Belichick is suspended for the Super Bowl

Can anyone help me confirm/deny this?

Honestly he should be. Whether deflating the balls had an impact on the ultimate outcome of the game or not (It didn't. Patriots would have won anyway), the fact is he got caught cheating.... AGAIN. What kind of precedent does it set if you do nothing? "Oh, just don't do it again, you scamp! ha ha!" Why should other coaches and teams follow rules if there is absolutely no consequence for breaking them?

I don't think a fine is enough. Robert Kraft would probably cover it anyway. If this was his first offense I'd maybe be ok with a fine, but seeing as this his second (that he's been caught at, anyway) a suspension of some sort I think is justified.

I'm not saying kick him out of the league forever (although if I were running things, 3 strikes and you're out) but some sort of punishment needs to be meted out in the form of a suspension.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bishop posted:

And let's be honest. We call him billy five aces for a reason. He's a fucker but he's a great coach and has been good for the game. He just looks for edges (99% legal) wherever he can get them and doesn't give a poo poo about what the media thinks

How is he good for the game?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Where's this from? Because if the balls are already outside, then when the hell did they deflate them?
ball boy + needle + 3 seconds

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

Just another reason why this is so maddening. How much logistical effort and subterfuge must it have taken to either switch the balls or deflate them without anyone knowing?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ozu posted:

ball Boy + needle + 3 seconds

x12, outside, with cameras around.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It's gonna be awesome when Belichick is suspended and we still lose the division.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I wonder if they used more than one gauge and one was old and lovely or something. The possible scenarios are getting weirder and weirder.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

mcmagic posted:

he is innovative, legitimately a great coach, divides people who either love or hate his public persona. The cheating part is a shame but it provides more red meat for the media and it's pretty funny how planned out their cheating schemes have been

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Didn't the refs also say the Colt's balls where fine still? It can't be a lovely gauge and it can't be weather.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He keeps the jets in the basement where they belong and provides some of the funniest moments in sports history while doing it?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Vire posted:

Didn't the refs also say the Colt's balls where fine still? It can't be a lovely gauge and it can't be weather.

That's what I've heard yeah.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crazy Ted posted:

Bob Ryan just compared this to Watergate :stare:

Bob Ryan is a noted idiot.

In the grand scheme of football scandals we've seen lately (Penn State, Bountygate, Domestic Violence) this ranks very, very low because nobody actually physically got hurt. However it does hurt the integrity of the game somewhat and needs to be dealt with in some manner

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

WugLyfe posted:

I wonder if they used more than one gauge and one was old and lovely or something. The possible scenarios are getting weirder and weirder.

Yes if you come up with incredibly outlandish and unlikely explanations for what happened, the scenarios do get pretty weird.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I didn't think there was a chance in hell of him being banned, I just wanted a reason to say Spygate and PSIGate in the same sentence.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WugLyfe posted:

He keeps the jets in the basement where they belong and provides some of the funniest moments in sports history while doing it?

Except the Jets beat him more than any team in the division.

Bishop posted:

he is innovative, legitimately a great coach, divides people who either love or hate his public persona. The cheating part is a shame but it provides more red meat for the media and it's pretty funny how planned out their cheating schemes have been

It calls the outcomes of 15 years of games into question. Nothing good there.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005

NC-17 posted:

The latest report said they were checked 5 minutes before kickoff. Which in *theory* you'd think means the balls must already be outside at that point. I mean you see the quarterbacks warming up and throwing balls around long before the game starts anyway. They must be outside for quite a bit before kickoff.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-01-21/graham-gano-explains-underinflated-footballs-patriots-afc-championship-psi-panthers

Apparently the kicker for the Panthers says they're checked indoors, but they might treat kicking balls differently. Who knows. I'm sure there will be several investigations with how much money is on the line.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Vire posted:

If there's more than one gauge it can be, and it absolutely still can be weather if each team started at different target pressures. The truth of the matter is the investigation hasn't given us much to go on yet, so everything until the announcement is conjecture.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ehud posted:

It's gonna be awesome when Belichick is suspended and we still lose the division.
It's always the QB that matters most. :smith:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

scavok posted:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-01-21/graham-gano-explains-underinflated-footballs-patriots-afc-championship-psi-panthers

Apparently the kicker for the Panthers says they're checked indoors, but they might treat kicking balls differently. Who knows. I'm sure there will be several investigations with how much money is on the line.

Yeah, wasn't there some uproar a few years ago about how the kickers are allowed to treat their own balls (heh) however they want in regards to over or under inflating?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Except the Jets beat him more than any team in the division.

Not a high bar to clear, was it?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

scavok posted:

I think it all depends on where they check the pressure. If they initially check them inside at room temperature prior to the game where they were inflated to the minimum requirement, brought them outside where the temperature dropped, the atmospheric pressure changed with the weather system, and evaporative cooling from the rain cooled the balls down even further, it is extremely realistic for the ball to drop 2 psi. However, if they brought it back to the same temperature it was initially measured and it was down 2 psi, the change in atmospheric pressure wouldn't have that much of an impact alone and that is a much different story. I have no love for the patriots, but I'm putting money on the refs not doing their job and that this is something that occurs very often with zero shits given by anyone.

Balls would need to be taken from 70°F to 31°F to get a 2psi drop. A drop of 2.5psi needs to balls to get down to 21°F. You would think guys would notice that they were holding ice cubes.

E:

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 21, 2015

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Ok now I'm not sure where I got that 5 minute thing. I swear I read it in some reporter's tweet, but I can't find it now. Ignore that.

In the meantime, apparently you're not even allowed to warm up the ball.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/11218/nfl-aware-of-game-ball-incident-during-panthers-vikings

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

WugLyfe posted:

If there's more than one gauge it can be, and it absolutely still can be weather if each team started at different target pressures. The truth of the matter is the investigation hasn't given us much to go on yet, so everything until the announcement is conjecture.

I thought we already said even at the lowest legal target pressure they were 2 psi under and the weather could only account for 1 of those being generous.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

mcmagic posted:

It calls the outcomes of 15 years of games into question. Nothing good there.

Any time the Patriots are mentioned it's already "Hurr spygate." This really won't change anyone's mind.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
@bkravitz
Told if a league investigation confirms deflated footballs it will result in lost draft picks. Stay tuned.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is like when Phil Niekro got caught scuffing basebaĺls. Although, Niekro has the added hilarity of trying to hide the emery boards which were in his own pockets by trying to throw them out in full view of the umpiring crew.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

WugLyfe posted:

For retesting them I read they used two different gauges to eliminate that. I assume one of those was the original one and they'd have noticed if they differed by two psi.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

NC-17 posted:

@bkravitz
Told if a league investigation confirms deflated footballs it will result in lost draft picks. Stay tuned.

Confirmed, Patriots will lose their 7th round pick in 2024 as a result of this scandal.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Vire posted:

I thought we already said even at the lowest legal target pressure they were 2 psi under and the weather could only account for 1 of those being generous.

There's been disagreement about that because that doesn't take into account impacts and other acts that are known to happen during the course of a game that can change the internal pressure of a football.

But again, educated guesses are still just that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

He's never been on it as far as I can remember, it's made up of:

Chairman: Rich McKay
Jeff Fisher (lol)
Stephen Jones
Marvin Lewis
John Mara
Mark Murphy (Packers)
Ozzie Newsome
Rick Smith (Texans)
Mike Tomlin (lol)

I realized that as soon as I posted it. He's not on the committee, but he's got clout with them and he and the Pats can submit rules changes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Any time the Patriots are mentioned it's already "Hurr spygate." This really won't change anyone's mind.

It gives people like me who thinks their entire run of success is a fraud built on cheating more proof. Nothing good for the league in that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Except the entire country has drastically cooled on that over the past 6 years. It's still around in ESPN article comments but just look at TFF, many neutral fans here were actually pulling for Brady to get his 4th for a couple seasons now. And spygate references were just kind of treated with an eye roll and an "ok sure."

So this new thing definitely damaged the Patriots image again. More so than before.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It gives people like me who thinks their entire run of success is a fraud built on cheating more proof. Nothing good for the league in that.

You never needed proof in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

You never needed proof in the first place.

There was enough smoke for there to be fire way before this.

• Locked thread