Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

You can make all kinds of criticisms of Adelind's plot arc, but when Grimm appears to cover one year per season (based on how many times Monroe puts his decorations out), complaining that a nine-month pregnancy takes up most of a twelve-month season is a bit much.

That's not exactly the point, the point is that since mid-season 2, Adalind has essentially had her own story arc that has remained basically separate from the rest of the cast, only intersecting for a handful of minutes per season. It's taking away screentime for our main characters and we're not getting a lot of interesting stuff from the Adalind storylines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Jedit posted:

You can make all kinds of criticisms of Adelind's plot arc, but when Grimm appears to cover one year per season (based on how many times Monroe puts his decorations out), complaining that a nine-month pregnancy takes up most of a twelve-month season is a bit much.
The complaint wasn't that she was pregnant for a realistic amount of time, it's that "Get powers back" and "Have baby" were the only things her subplot did for a whole season. She wasn't really doing anything, so much as she was just being led around by a few factions as their pawn. Then the pay-off for all of that invested time was a two-part episode, then most of another season just being a pawn again as she's shuffled around with the baby as bait. A baby that has not actually been in the show this season.

It just feels like the amount of time spent on Adalind's subplot has had a poor return on the investment.

Also... she was getting horrible and powerful witch magic back by way of various disturbing dark rituals. If the writers wanted that pregnancy to take a single month from start to finish, it would have been the easiest thing in the world to hand-wave away.

"Oh yeah, this whole infusion of dark magic that you've been literally rubbing onto your pregnant belly every night? That's gonna speed things along. Witch stuff, you know how it is."

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's not exactly the point, the point is that since mid-season 2, Adalind has essentially had her own story arc that has remained basically separate from the rest of the cast, only intersecting for a handful of minutes per season. It's taking away screentime for our main characters and we're not getting a lot of interesting stuff from the Adalind storylines.
Right. Adalind's stuff feels pointless because it's barely relevant to the main characters. That can be ok in short bursts, but Adalind's been pretty much off in her own separate show for several seasons now, with the rare crossover or name-drop. Except the Adalind show is eating up time that should belong to the "Nick & Trubel Head-Choppin' Hour" show.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's like the show wants to be several different things but never quite manages to do any of them particularly well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
4x10 – “Tribunal”
As the Wesenrein prepares to execute Monroe, Nick and Hank and Wu race to save him first.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Lol. Renard just tossed him. Nobody ever actually seems to know what game renard is playing.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I was surprised the captain didn't put his game face on.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Great speech by Monroe.

Someone get me a screengrab of that power walk by the cast, I think it'll be great in the OP of next year's thread.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

That was a law and order moment.

MildShow posted:

I was surprised the captain didn't put his game face on.

Yeah.

Edit. Lol I wanna know what Sean did offscreen.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 24, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I love anal-retentively dedicated the Wesenrein were to observing the forms of their "trial." Meanwhile, Bud is awesome In my head it went from day to night because Bud managed to babble for like seven hours straight. I liked the "power walk" the last break and no one stopping Juliette from coming along.

Meanwhile, it's weird that not only are created hexenbiests possible, it appears they happen often enough to establish their deadliness as compared to regular hexenbiests.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

That's a dumb preview. We already know they don't have to be mortal enemies.

johntfs posted:

I love anal-retentively dedicated the Wesenrein were to observing the forms of their "trial." Meanwhile, Bud is awesome In my head it went from day to night because Bud managed to babble for like seven hours straight.

That was awesome.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Did....did Juliette just suck guy's brains out? Or did she shoot him in the head and I'm just dumb?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Knowing that preview Nick is thinking that Juliette is actually Adalind when he saw her woge out of the corner of his eye or something like that.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
That was freaking awesome.

1. I love it when a show finally gets "that scene". I think of as the Scooby Gang scene because Buffy and Angel's are very memorable, or GotG had a good one too. The scene that confirms they are united, prepared and ready to do what needs to be done. Freaking awesome.

2. Monroe's speech, love him.

3. Things break down, Juliette does not hesitate to pull the trigger.

4. Juliette has upgraded from pan to gun to literal death stare

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Episodes where Nick is a Grimm and not a cop are always the best episodes. It's a shame they only come around once a season or so.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Bud's moment of courage was great.

I'm still not convinced the Juliette becoming a Hexenbiest isn't silly, but it's happened. The episode did make the point that they can be created using Adalind as an example, although in my mind I thought of that as Adalind's powers getting reactivated because she was still inherently a Hexenbiest, just a depowered one.

I will admit that they are doing some good things with it so far. She's remained surprisingly held together despite all the reasons in the world to freak out completely.

Her dream sequence where she killed Rosalee made perfect sense - she's only really got a vague sense of what Wesen - and especially Hexenbiests are. Her main experience with Hexenbiests has been Adalind, who has been a monster who has essentially tried to destroy her and Nick. It makes sense that has a fear of becoming a monster.

Juliette also put helping Rosalee with Monroe's kidnapping first over her own personal emergency. Her going to see Reynard at the end of the episode was also a logical move - it was the potion that Reynard's mother gave her that did this, so she would probably know best what the hell went wrong with it.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Nick has another option when interrogating suspects now. Good cop, Bad cop, Worse girlfriend. Skull-rip was even better than Throat-rip because it actually happened.

The bit in the preview where Nick has the axe is almost certainly a dream sequence.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

VBane posted:

That was freaking awesome.

1. I love it when a show finally gets "that scene". I think of as the Scooby Gang scene because Buffy and Angel's are very memorable, or GotG had a good one too. The scene that confirms they are united, prepared and ready to do what needs to be done. Freaking awesome.

2. Monroe's speech, love him.

3. Things break down, Juliette does not hesitate to pull the trigger.

4. Juliette has upgraded from pan to gun to literal death stare

I saw it more as a sonic scream.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I'm so proud of Bud, telling off the wesenkkk

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I liked the no nonsense telekinesis. The dude starts to conk out because she's poking at his brain and then *pew* the back of his skull goes flying. It was like gross slapstick.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Wu did have the best line , "You're no aswang..."

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Wu did have the best line , "You're no aswang..."

Anyone slightly concerned about Wu still? He seems to have an... unhealthy obsession about wesen now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I tuned in about 5 minutes late, but I guess I didn't miss anything terribly important.

Wu has acclimatized really well and I'm super happy about that.

Every character was on point tonight and it was amazing. That power walk out of the precinct with the full crew was totally awesome and I'm both super happy it happened and really worried that it won't last.

I'm really glad Juliette went to talk to Renard. Obviously the whole kidnapping thing took precedence, but I really hope she doesn't keep the secret from Nick for too long. Everyone in the cast should know at this point that keeping secrets is a terrible terrible idea.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

ETB posted:

Anyone slightly concerned about Wu still? He seems to have an... unhealthy obsession about wesen now.

I think they're going to use him and his arc as an illustration of why you do everything you can to keep Vessen a secret from pubbies. I think he's going to go insane.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Bud is the best character. It's kind of amazing how they don't over-use him.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Accretionist posted:

I liked the no nonsense telekinesis. The dude starts to conk out because she's poking at his brain and then *pew* the back of his skull goes flying. It was like gross slapstick.
That's going to make for a very tricky coroner's report if the Police were handling the aftermath as would be expected. "Hmm, we have a massive exit wound with no entry wound... that's odd."

Of course, the whole story is going to have a lot of holes in it if anyone starts actually investigating. Why were a cop's wife and the kidnap victim's wife brought into the scene? Why was a whole cult taken on by three cops and the Captain, with no further police backup?

Bored posted:

Edit. Lol I wanna know what Sean did offscreen.
I really don't, it would ruin the magic. Somehow the fact that we only got to see Hank's reaction made that scene way more chilling and brutal and funny than anything they would (or could) have actually shown us onscreen.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Her going to see Reynard at the end of the episode was also a logical move - it was the potion that Reynard's mother gave her that did this, so she would probably know best what the hell went wrong with it.
Telling Nick should have been her first move, period. So she's already hosed that up.

After that though, going to Renard is by far the smartest thing to do. He's the one Hexen/Zauberbiest in the entire world that they actually trust. Even if he doesn't know anything about the how and why of Juliet becoming a Hexenbiest, he's going to be the best person to help her understand what being one means, which could be the difference between learning to control and accept this change or going murder-witch head-pop psycho and killing everyone. That's in addition to the fact that he's their point-of-contact for Elizabeth (his Mom), who is obviously the most likely person to know what to do about this situation.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 24, 2015

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Now that he knows he isn't bugfuck crazy, Wu seems to have taken to it (and killing chumps) like a duck to water.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I like that Juliette went to Renard at the end. Nick and Hank are leaving to make sure that nothing undesirable happens to Monroe and Rosalee on their honeymoon so that's another week that Juliette will have to deal with this Hexenbiest thing. Sure she could tell Nick as he's about to leave, buuuuuut that would honestly make it worse because now he'll be freaking the gently caress out while on guard duty and he would inevitably tell everyone else so now everyone else knows and will kinda freak out and then they'll come back and confront Juliette and she'll freak the gently caress out in return but possibly more violently because, as we've seen, born-again Hexenbiest are scary :ohdear:

Basically by going directly to Renard now that she has had the nightmares, the telekinetic episodes and now she's killed a man with those powers she is being proactive and looking to figure poo poo out. Nick will find out eventually, he'll probably freak out because she went to Renard before telling him but at the end of the day everyone will be like "well between the kidnapping and the honeymoon she didn't have much chance to tell you" and so hopefully that will blow over. Honestly the worst that can come from this is that we're gonna get some resurgence of the romance that Juliette and Renard had in season 2 and nooooooobody wants that, fuuuuuuck that poo poo.

Other than that, great episode, I actually burst out laughing at the awesomeness of the powerwalk (laughing because it's awesome is a thing I do, I didn't think it was dumb, ok maybe a little but dumb in that "walks away from explosions" type way) and it is great to see that Wu is doing his homework. I honestly was afraid that they were gonna show someone had broken into the trailer and they were gonna torch it or something, but no Wu's studying and that's good to see

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ETB posted:

Guy just learned that 6 months of his life thinking he was full on schizophrenic crazy was in fact something real is definitely going to affect him, but he loves being a cop and now he can help "police" Wessen as assistant to a Grimm.

Aces High posted:

Honestly the worst that can come from this is that we're gonna get some resurgence of the romance that Juliette and Renard had in season 2 and nooooooobody wants that, fuuuuuuck that poo poo.

There's no way in hell that comes back. She went to Renard because he's the point of contact for his mother, the only person Juliet knows of who could help her.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jan 24, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I think the main reason Juliette went to Renard is that she's desperately hoping there's some way to fix this before Nick gets back. Figure Juliette doesn't know about the Grimm blood cure because Nick didn't bother to tell her. Remember that Juliette didn't even learn about Nick mother being alive (and visiting when Juliette was in the coma) until the third season when she saw Kelly's e-mail. Nick can be kind of a yutz at times.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I laughed at the captain's face at the end because it was such a mix of surprise and sudden arousal.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I wonder if it's possible for Grimms to be made, now that we know it's possible to make a Hexenbeist. Those two have a weird dichotomy going on that makes me think they're two sides of the same coin.

Robot Hobo posted:

That's going to make for a very tricky coroner's report if the Police were handling the aftermath as would be expected. "Hmm, we have a massive exit wound with no entry wound... that's odd."

Of course, the whole story is going to have a lot of holes in it if anyone starts actually investigating. Why were a cop's wife and the kidnap victim's wife brought into the scene? Why was a whole cult taken on by three cops and the Captain, with no further police backup?

Even if they go to the coroner, she's seen enough weird stuff already that I don't think she'll be too concerned. And I don't think anybody'll start looking too deeply considering the people who'd be most likely to do so are the victim's families, who are now going to be scared shitless of the Grimm and the rest of the Scooby Gang.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MildShow posted:

I wonder if it's possible for Grimms to be made, now that we know it's possible to make a Hexenbeist. Those two have a weird dichotomy going on that makes me think they're two sides of the same coin.

Even if they go to the coroner, she's seen enough weird stuff already that I don't think she'll be too concerned. And I don't think anybody'll start looking too deeply considering the people who'd be most likely to do so are the victim's families, who are now going to be scared shitless of the Grimm and the rest of the Scooby Gang.

That coroner's seen so much poo poo they'll probably just write "brain pressure appears to have exceeded cranial thresholds and exploded out the back. gently caress this anyone want to challenge this go ahead and find a better explanation"

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Aces High posted:

Nick and Hank are leaving to make sure that nothing undesirable happens to Monroe and Rosalee on their honeymoon so that's another week that Juliette will have to deal with this Hexenbiest thing. Sure she could tell Nick as he's about to leave...
Oh, are Nick and Hank actually going along on the trip? I had assumed that their completely deadpan "You won't even know we're there" line was them making a rather funny joke. Hadn't occurred to me that they were serious.

I guess that does make Juliet's decision to tell Renard first more of a practical matter instead of her just being pointlessly untrusting of Nick. It's at least consistent with her attitude of the past two episodes, where she put off her problem to take car of Monroe & Rosalie's problem first.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 24, 2015

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That was a surprisingly bloody episode. These last two weeks have been really good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MildShow posted:

I wonder if it's possible for Grimms to be made,

If so, it makes the whole first season make way less sense. Renard was playing it safe and trying to just steal the key from Nick rather than straight up kill him.

If it's possible to manufacture Grimms, Nick should have been 100% expendable.

Also, the Royal Families probably would have made themselves Grimms and killed all the Wesen already.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Maybe they're opposites in that too--you're born a Grimm, but can be made a Hexenbiest.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

If so, it makes the whole first season make way less sense. Renard was playing it safe and trying to just steal the key from Nick rather than straight up kill him.

If it's possible to manufacture Grimms, Nick should have been 100% expendable.

Also, the Royal Families probably would have made themselves Grimms and killed all the Wesen already.

In the context of the show, Nick is literally the first Grimm in the history of Grimms that is friends with Wessen and let them live and work so long as they dont break laws or hurt people.

It's weird that the hate group would even have a clause for "befriending a Grimm" because for 4 seasons everything single Wessen freaks out when they see one and of the ones Nick does befriend they're initially shocked that its even an option.

Also, the Royals are just the monied big shots, right? Nothing else magical about them? The whole "baby with Royal blood" was such a huge deal in season 3 but the same poo poo happened a generation prior with Renard yet his Royal blood doesn't really seem to grant him any advantages.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

In the context of the show, Nick is literally the first Grimm in the history of Grimms that is friends with Wessen and let them live and work so long as they dont break laws or hurt people.

It's weird that the hate group would even have a clause for "befriending a Grimm" because for 4 seasons everything single Wessen freaks out when they see one and of the ones Nick does befriend they're initially shocked that its even an option.

Also, the Royals are just the monied big shots, right? Nothing else magical about them? The whole "baby with Royal blood" was such a huge deal in season 3 but the same poo poo happened a generation prior with Renard yet his Royal blood doesn't really seem to grant him any advantages.

That's not exactly true about the Grimms. I think it's been mentioned a few times that Grimms originally just hunted down Wesen who harmed humans. Then there was a sect of Grimms that decided that all Wesen were dangerous and needed to be eradicated which probably lead to the creation of the Reapers, who go about killing Grimms.

I think some of it is just sort of a bias, the various Wesen communities had their own stories about Grimms killing all Wesen so therefore all Grimms were bad and they stayed away and the Grimms tended to only deal with bad Wesen, so they started seeing all Wesen as bad. But there doesn't seem to be any stories of a regular Grimm outright killing something like an Eisbiber or Fuchsbau just because it was a Wesen. On the other hand, Grimms tend to just kill the more 'evil' types of Wesen like Hexenbiests, Blutbads or Klaustreichs because those types of Wesen have bad reputations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

TMMadman posted:

That's not exactly true about the Grimms. I think it's been mentioned a few times that Grimms originally just hunted down Wesen who harmed humans. Then there was a sect of Grimms that decided that all Wesen were dangerous and needed to be eradicated which probably lead to the creation of the Reapers, who go about killing Grimms.

I think some of it is just sort of a bias, the various Wesen communities had their own stories about Grimms killing all Wesen so therefore all Grimms were bad and they stayed away and the Grimms tended to only deal with bad Wesen, so they started seeing all Wesen as bad. But there doesn't seem to be any stories of a regular Grimm outright killing something like an Eisbiber or Fuchsbau just because it was a Wesen. On the other hand, Grimms tend to just kill the more 'evil' types of Wesen like Hexenbiests, Blutbads or Klaustreichs because those types of Wesen have bad reputations.

In the books in the caravan the Grimms quite frequently killed harmless Wesen just because though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Man that was good. My personal highlight (not counting the Hammer of God coming down on the Wessenazis) was probably Wu punching the dirty cop in the face without missing a beat.

Though of course the cop turned into a pig. That might have been a bit on the nose there, Grimm :v:

• Locked thread