Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Does it make a huge difference whether she directly blew up the guy's head with her mind, or used her mind to blow his brains out with a gun she had dropped? It seems like a specious distinction to me. Still awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL4HSiGvk68#t=107

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

MacheteZombie posted:

This Juliet as Hexenbeist story line better culminate with Juliet having a showdown with Adalind and stomping her dumb face in before exploding her brain.

Yes.

johntfs posted:

I thought the same thing, but I've watched the scene several times. The actual sound made is more of a softer, lengthier sound than a gunshot. It's likely that the Closed Captioning was done by someone at the network who thought "gunshot" instead of headsplode.

So would gun-toting Juliette. Juliette apparently had the highest body counts vs. the Wesenrein. Along with the headsplode, she also shot a dude earlier.

I still think she did it with the hexenbiest shriek. It was a sonic attack. I'm going to continue believing this until the show says otherwise...which may well be tonight.

Now I have to go dig out that cd. Thanks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bored posted:

I still think she did it with the hexenbiest shriek. It was a sonic attack. I'm going to continue believing this until the show says otherwise...which may well be tonight.

I'm pretty sure it was as sonic shriek. The writers would have made it clear with at least a shot of the gun aiming at the guy before his head pops.

This episode is definitely on the short list for top 5 episodes thus far.

Bored posted:

Now I have to go dig out that cd. Thanks!
I looked it up just for that line, ended up watching the whole thing.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

That made me miss the ghost chasers.

Edit: ok, this guy is just as dumb. I'm pleased.

Edit2: hahaha. Wesen squatter.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 31, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I'd totally watch a show based around Juliette going around punishing rude douchebags.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

johntfs posted:

I'd totally watch a show based around Juliette going around punishing rude douchebags.

Lol. I figured hexenbiests hexed people, so it's fitting.

Since they brought Wu in, they won't need an in-house wesen database.

E: did nbc just have a seizure for anyone else?

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 31, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That lady was playing it fast and loose with health and safety. Hasn't she ever heard of pass-through?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Sorta a "duh" episode.
The dream sequence with Juliet and Rosalee was awesome this one was so predictably a dream and nonsense to put in the teaser. Bad Grimm!

Also instead of Juliet acting like an adult and telling Nick, she is hiding it from him so that in another episode she will freak out and woge right in front of him and he will poo poo himself. It's should maybe be discussed with a significant other if suddenly you find yourself turning into a demonic monster.

I legit feel for Nick he has had the worst relationship ever.
Juliet rejects his marriage proposal. Juliet cheats on him with his boss.
Juliet loses memory and doesn't know who he is and kicks him out of his own house. Then Juliet hates him because Adalind tricks him and actually puts out. Then he has to have sex with her looking like a woman he hates. And now this is going on.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

pasaluki posted:

Sorta a "duh" episode.
The dream sequence with Juliet and Rosalee was awesome this one was so predictably a dream and nonsense to put in the teaser. Bad Grimm!

Also instead of Juliet acting like an adult and telling Nick, she is hiding it from him so that in another episode she will freak out and woge right in front of him and he will poo poo himself. It's should maybe be discussed with a significant other if suddenly you find yourself turning into a demonic monster.

Juliet loses memory and doesn't know who he is and kicks him out of his own house. Then Juliet hates him because Adalind tricks him and actually puts out. Then he has to have sex with her looking like a woman he hates. And now this is going on.

Wait, I can't remember. Does Nick know that Juliet cheated on him with his boss?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That's why you ate your carpet.

Oh.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

bamhand posted:

That's why you ate your carpet.

Oh.

I loved Wu's reaction there

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

pasaluki posted:

Sorta a "duh" episode.

Agree on the dream sequence, but it still worked for me as a dream that revealed Juliette's anxieties about her situation which were irrational but very real.

Juliette is being an adult. Adults often do things like procrastinate when it comes to delivering bad news. It complicated because right now she doesn't know the full scope of the bad news, which is why she's jumping through all these hoops with Henrietta. Juliette's really hoping that she can somehow get this fixed before she has to tell Nick.

As for the rest of it, your interpretations are uncharitable at best.

Juliette rejected Nick's marriage proposal because she correctly believed he was keeping something important from her. Figure being a Grimm is fairly important.

She "cheated" on Nick in the same way someone who was roofied and raped "cheats" on their partner. She and Renard were under a magical compulsion which they managed to resist until they could be cured. At one point Renard was about to succumb and Juliette drove him off with gunfire.

I may be wrong but as I recall it was Nick who chose to leave in the wake of Juliet "cheating" on him.

Juliet didn't hate Nick, she hated the situations his Grimmness sometimes caused. Ultimately, she focused her anger more onto Adalind.

Nick slept with Adalind-Juliette because he wanted his powers back and they both agreed.

Juliette has turned into a hexenbiest as a direct result of the ritual that gave Nick his powers back. It's probably one reason she doesn't want to tell him about it - because she's afraid he'll blame himself.

Overall I think Juliette Silverton is probably one of the best girlfriends ever shown on TV because of the "TV girlfriend" bullshit that she will not do.

johntfs fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 1, 2015

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

johntfs posted:

She "cheated" on Nick in the same way someone who was roofied and raped "cheats" on their partner. She and Renard were under a magical compulsion which they managed to resist until they could be cured. At one point Renard was about to succumb and Juliette drove him off with gunfire.

This is a good point. Labelling it as cheating confused me, she didn't really have control of her actions.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
I was pretty disappointed with the wesen-of-the-week. Well, the explanation of why he was basically as powerful as Zeus, but lived as a jilted lover vagrant squatter, and why a frog paste to the ear made any sense? Did the writers even try?

I think the previous episode had so much going on this one was always going to be kind of a let down, but it wasn't one of the worst. Wu with the carpet flashback was great.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

JD Bucks 7 posted:

I was pretty disappointed with the wesen-of-the-week. Well, the explanation of why he was basically as powerful as Zeus, but lived as a jilted lover vagrant squatter, and why a frog paste to the ear made any sense? Did the writers even try?

I think the previous episode had so much going on this one was always going to be kind of a let down, but it wasn't one of the worst. Wu with the carpet flashback was great.

How did a Grimm even find out that frog paste works? I'd try the crossbow seven times before I resort to frog paste. Like what's next? A jellyfish wesen that Nick has to piss on?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Ravane posted:

How did a Grimm even find out that frog paste works? I'd try the crossbow seven times before I resort to frog paste. Like what's next? A jellyfish wesen that Nick has to piss on?

it was what the locals used, they said it in the episode

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Bitsie Tulloch knows in some fleeting, tangential way that I exist because she favorited one of my Tweets:

John Jones @johntfs · 2h 2 hours ago

@BitsieTulloch If one of the New England Patriots says "Suck my balls," he's not being rude. He's just trying to cheat again. Go Seahawks!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
This was such a horrible episode. We had two great episodes and the show was building up some steam... What happened?
That green-screen sequence with Rosalee and Monroe was atrocious, the ghost-hunters cliche has been done to death by similar shows, and the MOTW is boring.

Why is Juliette not approaching Nick? Why would she approach Renard in secret after the whole "cheating" debacle thing? It makes little sense for her to suddenly be so cold towards Nick when they were killing people together just one episode ago, and had a big speech about not keeping secrets from each other a couple of episodes before that. I get that Renard has an in with Hexenbiests, but so does Nick, and it would make more sense to have a Grimm backing you up if you're going to start slinging accusations towards Renards mother. It's also shows horrible boundaries and it is a terrible move relationship-wise to be going behind Nicks back with this guy after the history they've had. I'd try to rationalize it as more "crazy wesen magic making Juliette behave crazy", but they don't seem to be playing that angle, and I've lost all faith that the writers care to explain away their horrible writing anyway.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 2, 2015

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Why doesn't she ask anyone how Adalind lost her powers in the first place and why doesn't she just do that? They better explain that.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

hollylolly posted:

Why doesn't she ask anyone how Adalind lost her powers in the first place and why doesn't she just do that? They better explain that.
She somehow doesn't realize yet that the secret to 80% of all Hexenbiest magic is getting Nick to squirt some fluids into you. I'm waiting for the next Hexenbiest spell.

Next week, on an all new Grimm...
"Juliet! Someone stole my pee!"
Cut to Adalind smiling, sipping from a mason jar filled with yellow fluid.

Juliet has to know how Adalind lost her powers, right? She loving hates Adalind, and knows Nick took her powers away, there's just no way in hell she never asked how. She also knows that Adalind seemed to be a perfectly healthy, normal human afterward, so Juliet doesn't even have reason to be scared that the cure is going to harm/kill her. If she really wanted to be un-Wessen'd the question shouldn't have been "Oh poo poo, what do I do" it should have been "Hey, Nick, I need a favor."

Hell, she could just wait for a night when Nick comes home from a fight, help to tend to his usual cuts & scrapes, and lick her fingers clean afterward. Done.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 2, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Biomute posted:

This was such a horrible episode. We had two great episodes and the show was building up some steam... What happened?
That green-screen sequence with Rosalee and Monroe was atrocious, the ghost-hunters cliche has been done to death by similar shows, and the MOTW is boring.

Why is Juliette not approaching Nick? Why would she approach Renard in secret after the whole "cheating" debacle thing? It makes little sense for her to suddenly be so cold towards Nick when they were killing people together just one episode ago, and had a big speech about not keeping secrets from each other a couple of episodes before that. I get that Renard has an in with Hexenbiests, but so does Nick, and it would make more sense to have a Grimm backing you up if you're going to start slinging accusations towards Renards mother. It's also shows horrible boundaries and it is a terrible move relationship-wise to be going behind Nicks back with this guy after the history they've had. I'd try to rationalize it as more "crazy wesen magic making Juliette behave crazy", but they don't seem to be playing that angle, and I've lost all faith that the writers care to explain away their horrible writing anyway.

If everyone on the show always did the logical, correct, right thing there wouldn't be a show. The husband wouldn't have murdered his wife and friend. He'd have gotten a divorce attorney.

I get Juliette's side of this. She started to tell Nick, but there was too much else going on right then and that gave her time to think. Time to think about Nick, Rosalee and the others looking at her with pity and horror. Time to think about Nick blaming himself for her condition. Time to think about Rosalee and Monroe feverishly putting together yet another magic potion with yet more side effects:

"Okay, Juliette, you're no longer a hexenbiest but your digestive system has reversed itself. Now you'll eat by stuff food up your rear end and you'll poo poo out of your mouth. Hang in there while we work on yet another weird potion to fix that.

Instead, Juliette has gone to Renard who not only is a kind of hexenbiest, his mother did the ritual that caused this. Juliette is hoping against hope that there'll be an easy fix for this situation so she won't have to tell Nick and incur the above stuff.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Really, this is all leading Juliette to becoming a gun toting, frying-pan wielding, master hexenbeist. Missed her shot? She'll just melt your brains out then fry them with her skillet.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

ETB posted:

Really, this is all leading Juliette to becoming a gun toting, frying-pan wielding, master hexenbeist. Missed her shot? She'll just melt your brains out then fry them with her skillet.

Honestly, that would've been a way more interesting plot. If she's actually ambivalent about being a hexenbiest, because although it's weird and horrifying, she's also powerful in a way she wasn't.

I mean, it doesn't appear that they're doing that. But a plot where she's conflicted about her new power would be great. "Now I'm a badass monster...and I kind of like it," instead of several episodes of self-disgust over What She's Become.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Xealot posted:

Honestly, that would've been a way more interesting plot. If she's actually ambivalent about being a hexenbiest, because although it's weird and horrifying, she's also powerful in a way she wasn't.

I mean, it doesn't appear that they're doing that. But a plot where she's conflicted about her new power would be great. "Now I'm a badass monster...and I kind of like it," instead of several episodes of self-disgust over What She's Become.

The bit where she blew up the car and was all "did I do that?!?" seemed to be hinting that that might be a direction they could take it. Thing is, if she ever did accept her new condition and run with it, we'd have to suffer through the good old "parents are coming to visit, quick, pretend everything's normal!" episode that we've all seen a hundred times before in shows like this.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Juliette not telling Nick is just a horrible way to cause more drama in the future, it's boring for us viewers and lazy by the writers.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Tahirovic posted:

Juliette not telling Nick is just a horrible way to cause more drama in the future, it's boring for us viewers and lazy by the writers.

Haven't we already had a storyline with Juliette seeking help from a mysterious woman over some curse or other that's happened to her?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Cactus posted:

The bit where she blew up the car and was all "did I do that?!?" seemed to be hinting that that might be a direction they could take it. Thing is, if she ever did accept her new condition and run with it, we'd have to suffer through the good old "parents are coming to visit, quick, pretend everything's normal!" episode that we've all seen a hundred times before in shows like this.

I think she will accept her condition, but it's going to take a little time for her to get there. She'll likely start down that path in the next episode. Figure during episode 9 she was "I'm a monster." After episode 10 she can be "I'm a monster but it saved my life." Figure there's a pretty decent chance that after the next episode she'll have to consider that "I'm a monster and it saved Nick's life."

I have to admit that I'd love to meet Juliette's parents. In my head they're Liam Neeson and Linda Hamilton.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Tahirovic posted:

It don't think it is lazy writing at all, it is a pretty natural reaction she is having, she would rather try to remove it before Nick learns about it than to see his reaction.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Technically she's only realized what's been going on with her for about three days? Two of which Nick and everyone else was consumed with finding and rescuing Monroe.

I don't really blame her for not wanting Nick to see her horrible hexenbiest face, talk about a turn off. I think I'd want to get rid of it first before that ever happened, if I could. How do you unsee that?!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Oasx posted:

It don't think it is lazy writing at all, it is a pretty natural reaction she is having, she would rather try to remove it before Nick learns about it than to see his reaction.

It's only somewhat lazy as a concept, but it becomes super-lazy when they've already done it to this character twice in the show already. The series has been drilling the lesson of "secrets between the good guys is bad" since the start, so it's incredibly groan-worthy for us viewers, and not in a good way.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Oasx posted:

I don't think there exists a natural reaction to becoming a hexenbiest.

You make it sound like its a trifling inconvenience that she wouldn't want to bother Nick about rather than the reality that she is killing people, destroying cars, having bizarre and violent dreams, hallucinating, and oh yeah literally turning into a monster.

My whole thing is if Nick not telling Juliette about the wesen is a huge breach of trust, then what is this?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

pasaluki posted:

I don't think there exists a natural reaction to becoming a hexenbiest.

You make it sound like its a trifling inconvenience that she wouldn't want to bother Nick about rather than the reality that she is killing people, destroying cars, having bizarre and violent dreams, hallucinating, and oh yeah literally turning into a monster.

My whole thing is if Nick not telling Juliette about the wesen is a huge breach of trust, then what is this?

This is a human person trying to come to grips with a decidedly non-human problem. Her initial instinct was to call Nick and tell him but that was sidelined by Monroe's kidnapping. Now Juliette's had time to think about things and get cold feet about telling Nick. She's holding out hope that this is still a simple fix. If she tells Nick, he'll want tom see her Woge and certainly bring in Rosalee and Monroe. Juliette doesn't want her friends and lover to see her like that. She doesn't want that image in their minds, so she's keeping this to herself for now.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Actress who plays Juilette posted:

http://community.ew.com/2015/02/04/bitsie-tulloch-interview-grimm-season-4/

What else can you tell us about a potential showdown between Juliette and Adalind?

That’s coming up sooner than later. The fans really seem to like the new Hexenbiest Juliette. I think they’re really, really, really going to love that showdown. Because we’ve really been waiting four seasons for a showdown. Adalind has been making Juliette’s life miserable since season one. She’s not just your gun-toting veterinarian who’s threatening but maybe not that threatening—now she’s über threatening and dangerous.

I'm looking forward to this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

There Bias Two posted:

Oh holy poo poo, this payoff could be amazing.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

I was hoping Adalind would be lured into Juliet's kitchen and Juliet emerges from the shadows with a meat tenderizer in one hand and a frying pan in the other.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

pasaluki posted:

Juliet emerges from the shadows with a meat tenderizer in one hand and a frying pan in the other.
It'll be a .50 caliber revolver with a laser sight and a cast-iron frying pan mounted on it like a bayonet.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

pasaluki posted:

I was hoping Adalind would be lured into Juliet's kitchen and Juliet emerges from the shadows with a meat tenderizer in one hand and a frying pan in the other.

"This is really good, Juliette but.....why does it taste so....familiar?"

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Robot Hobo posted:

It'll be a .50 caliber revolver with a laser sight and a cast-iron frying pan mounted on it like a bayonet.

Nah, a captive bolt stunner like Anton Chigurh used in No Country for Old Men. "Hey, Adalind, call it,"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Tonight's episode:

4x12– “Maréchaussée”
When Nick angers the Wesen council by going after their hitman, he becomes the Council's next target.

• Locked thread