Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010
So far, I've managed to get everyone I've wanted for MSRP, but drat, Ike is determined to break me.

Edit: Yeah, I cracked. Won a cheapish ebay auction. So, I'll have an Ike sometime next week.

TheMaskedChemist fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

redwalrus posted:

Is Nintendo still claiming limited shelf space for lack of amiibo in NA?
Has anyone asked them how shelf space matters when the product never makes it to the shelf?

When was lack of shelf space ever cited as a concern ever?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

jivjov posted:

Yeah I think that was their "reason" (in quotes because it never came directly from Nintendo's mouth) the N3DS regular size wasn't coming over here.

Not the amiibo thing.

There's plenty of room for those fuckers, they just decided that 4 of the pegs on the wall should have Mario on them and another 4 should have Pikachu on them, that makes it look like there are more of them.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

jivjov posted:

the closest Wal-mart to where I live has dedicated the entirety of Amiibos to 8 pegs in the game accessory section, and it's only filled with Marios, peaches, Pikachus and a few Luigis.

I have a hard time figuring out why they bothered getting a gold mario exclusive when they don't even dedicate the shelf space for them.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So, how long did the golden mario amiibos on walmart dot com last?

I saw a post saying they were there and then they were just gone. Did they only last like 8 minutes or something?

Why did it have to be Walmart? They are notorious for handling stuff like this poorly.

I heard that "3000 Walmarts" will get this gold Mario in stores. Does that mean all Walmarts, or are only SOME Walmarts going to even get them!?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Pixeltendo posted:

the closest Wal-mart to where I live has dedicated the entirety of Amiibos to 8 pegs in the game accessory section, and it's only filled with Marios, peaches, Pikachus and a few Luigis.

I have a hard time figuring out why they bothered getting a gold mario exclusive when they don't even dedicate the shelf space for them.

To Make Money

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Pixeltendo posted:

Every store in my area has a total of 10-12 pegs for amiibos.

Compare Disney Infinity and Skylanders, being multiplat, get 20+ pegs.

Of course, Nintendo stuff in general gets the shaft over here so its really no surprise.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible for Amiibos to go the way of the beanie baby?

Didn't BBs fail because they made thousands of unique ones? Nintendo only has so many characters right? You think we'll ever see more than 100 uniques?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

gay skull posted:

The mystique of golden Nintendo poo poo. Aside from SNES and Game Boy, there's always been a handful of games, portables, controllers, etc that tend to either be limited edition or hard to find in some form or another that have a gold paint job. Zelda Skyward Sword Wii remotes go for like $80, gold nunchucks were club Nintendo exclusive and go for over a hundo, and I remember the golden N64 controller being a Nintendo Power exclusive giveaway for whoever got the best time on Mario Raceway in MK64.

But then they sold them mass produced at Toys R Us and I got one like six years later for eight bucks from GameStop, hahaha suck a dick Nintendo.

(The golden Millenium 2000-printed N64 controllers are worth hundreds though :catstare: )

Imagine how much a complete set of every Nintendo functionally-identical-but-gold item would cost. drat.

Prorat posted:

Is it possible for Amiibos to go the way of the beanie baby?

Didn't BBs fail because they made thousands of unique ones? Nintendo only has so many characters right? You think we'll ever see more than 100 uniques?
I hope that someday divorcing couples have to split their pile of Amiibos in front of a judge and jury.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Gold Mario just went back in stock, who knows for how long

http://www.walmart.com/ip/43814229?www=true&productRedirect=true

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Gold Mario is available NOW NOW NOW

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well I haven't got a Mario amiibo yet...and I managed to get him this time. :toot: Still rather have Silver Mario through.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I've found everything I've wanted so far except Mega Man. I almost got him the other day when I got Sonic, but the Wal Mart hadn't updated it's inventory and they refunded my money after doing site to store.

If some kind goon comes across one in the wild I'd pay msrp+shipping for it. We seem to have a glut of Toon Links out here so I could maybe trade him if need be.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So the reason the Gold Mario came back in stock again was because walmart started cancelling orders out from under people who ordered above the quantity limits.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Just read that Walmart is canceling pre-orders for people that just kept ordering two at a time. Should be interesting for the ebay scalpers.

EFB

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gay skull posted:

The mystique of golden Nintendo poo poo. Aside from SNES and Game Boy, there's always been a handful of games, portables, controllers, etc that tend to either be limited edition or hard to find in some form or another that have a gold paint job. Zelda Skyward Sword Wii remotes go for like $80, gold nunchucks were club Nintendo exclusive and go for over a hundo, and I remember the golden N64 controller being a Nintendo Power exclusive giveaway for whoever got the best time on Mario Raceway in MK64.

But then they sold them mass produced at Toys R Us and I got one like six years later for eight bucks from GameStop, hahaha suck a dick Nintendo.

(The golden Millenium 2000-printed N64 controllers are worth hundreds though :catstare: )

It's me, I'm the guy that likes gold controllers (they're neat, and actually useable instead of sitting on a shelf). Incidentally, you missed the Gold Classic Controller Pro that came with Goldeneye on the Wii. The real money controller is the Starlight Gold Gamecube controller though. Japan-only, and only bundled with the matching console. I'm still hoping for a Gold Smash GCN controller :sigh:.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's out of stock again.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

jivjov posted:

Gold Mario is available NOW NOW NOW

Showed up in stock on the product page, but out of stock when I try to add it. Dang.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It'll be available in stores, so I'll probably just try to not die one day.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Nope not in stock. Thanks for dashing my hopes thread :colbert:

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Not feeling too impressed with the Gold Mario. Now if they decided to make Metal Mario and have the Amiibo actually be made out of metal, that would be cool.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

There's Silver Mario. I guess that's kind of Metal Mario?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

-CHA posted:

Not feeling too impressed with the Gold Mario. Now if they decided to make Metal Mario and have the Amiibo actually be made out of metal, that would be cool.

I want Pink Gold Peach made out of pink gold

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I love that one of the questions on the WalMart page is "Why so salty?"

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
It let me add to cart and then told me it was out of stock.... NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Where's Game & Watch?

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I looked and Gold Mario appears to be back in stock.

Didn't order one though because I have to be strong and not let the urge beat me.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GenericMartini posted:

I looked and Gold Mario appears to be back in stock.

Didn't order one though because I have to be strong and not let the urge beat me.

It's been "in stock" for a while, but once you add it to your cart it's out of stock and won't let you checkout unless you remove it.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Where's Game & Watch?

Wave 6.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Butt Ghost posted:

There's Silver Mario. I guess that's kind of Metal Mario?

What? Where?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Imagine how much a complete set of every Nintendo functionally-identical-but-gold item would cost. drat.

Considering you'd need ultra rare promo poo poo like the gold version of NWC and a few contest giveaway carts from Japan like Rockman 4 and Punch-Out to complete it, :cawg:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that likes gold controllers (they're neat, and actually useable instead of sitting on a shelf). Incidentally, you missed the Gold Classic Controller Pro that came with Goldeneye on the Wii. The real money controller is the Starlight Gold Gamecube controller though. Japan-only, and only bundled with the matching console. I'm still hoping for a Gold Smash GCN controller :sigh:.

I thought about mentioning it but couldn't fit it in my post up there without dragging it out too much. That gold CCP is great, I love it, and I bought an extra one on clearance once because it was cheaper to buy the Goldeneye bundle instead of just a standalone controller.

But, it was a Club Nintendo exclusive in Japan, so we lucked out on that one. Nintendo's gold stuff is all over the place in rarity, on one hand you have the LBW 3DS which is common and not really worth much more than any other 3DS XL; on the other hand, the hundred dollar nunchuk.

By the way, if you ever play PS3, there's a nice official gold controller that's commonplace for that too.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Heran Bago posted:

What? Where?

It was announced alongside Gold Mario. It's not out anywhere yet, though. Who knows where it'll be an exclusive at, if Gold Mario is anything to go by.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They only announced the gold one. The silver one leaked alongside the gold one awhile ago though.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Trading my spare Meta Knight for a Villager tomorrow. Yeeees.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Can confirm. I bought four and two were cancelled.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gay skull posted:

By the way, if you ever play PS3, there's a nice official gold controller that's commonplace for that too.

Got it and the Xbox 360 ones :shepspends:. I'm actually only missing an N64 controller and a Gamecube controller (and the latter's a no-way-in-hell thing considering the price on the Starlight Gold's). I also have the LBW XL and the Majora's Mask nXL's, incidentally. Though those were just because I had the patience to wait them out (had a regular 3DS, so didn't need an XL at its launch and just waited for the first nice-looking special edition, ditto for the nXL).

And no, I don't plan on grabbing a Gold Mario when they turn up down under. I just want a Shulk, and even then it's because it's the closest to any form of Xenoblade memorabilia we'll probably ever see.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

It'll be available in stores, so I'll probably just try to not die one day.

Every Amiibo hunter I've encountered in the wild is a smelly scalper. It's really awful. Please don't make me go to a store.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Agoat posted:

Every Amiibo hunter I've encountered in the wild is a smelly scalper. It's really awful. Please don't make me go to a store.

Man you just keep getting unlucky then. There's a group of about 6 of us that keep running into each other at Toys R Us and everyone is super chill, the most I've seen any of them buy is two of the same, and I know he's picking a couple up for a younger sibling, and it's just a fun little meetup every time.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

jivjov posted:

Man you just keep getting unlucky then. There's a group of about 6 of us that keep running into each other at Toys R Us and everyone is super chill, the most I've seen any of them buy is two of the same, and I know he's picking a couple up for a younger sibling, and it's just a fun little meetup every time.

I've had the same experiences with Agoat. It's usually myself, people who either brag about being scalpers in line or obviously buy as many as possible at the register and then a few kids with their parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I see gross, overwhelmingly overweight losers in the store all the time. Then I realize I'm in the mirror aisle, so I go to the amiibo section and see those people there too.

• Locked thread