Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Like I could try to explain to him that that scenario is exactly what happened and what we want to continue to happen but I don't think they'd listen to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
maybe you could just not have freakign youtube commenters as facebook friends??

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
he seems to be a south park libertarian so i sent him this and hopefully he Gets It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0sAVtOt2wA

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

a writeup would be fine but keep in mind i'm dealing with people who write poo poo like this:

So yeah muppet babbies explain monopolies and the internet would be nice. It will preferably have lots of primary colors and a glockenspiel soundtrack

quote:

Comcast won't cut Netflix completely -- they have too many customers who would switch to another carrier if they did.

thats the problem right there

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I don't think your friend can be reasoned with. Is he even your friend, or is he a facebook friend?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

the Netflix customers want that traffic. not all Comcast customers are Netflix customers and it would be wrong of Comcast to charge all Comcast customers for the usage of just the Netflix customers. the final result of all of this is that the Netflix customers who wanted the upgrades got the upgrades and they(through Netflix) paid for them. This is correct and fair.

yes let's make the Internet like cable where you have to buy certain packages to get "premium" channels that sounds lovely

hey let's do it with cell phones too you can only call 911 if you have the emergency package

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
How does this affect bandwidth caps?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
sweet I get to pay $10 for Netflix and $30 for the package that gives me access to it on top of my $60 I pay for Internet????

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I don't think your friend can be reasoned with. Is he even your friend, or is he a facebook friend?

facebook friend of a friend. the worst kind of friend

this is mostly for the observers though, not him

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How does this affect bandwidth caps?

it just means they're not allowed to say 'UNLIMITED DATA' when they don't actually mean that at all

besides that not really

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Linux Rig posted:

sweet I get to pay $10 for Netflix and $30 for the package that gives me access to it on top of my $60 I pay for Internet????

more like you pay $10 for Netflix and $2 of that is for Netflix to pay ISPs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Necc0 posted:

it just means they're not allowed to say 'UNLIMITED DATA' when they don't actually mean that at all

besides that not really

cable companies aren't advertising unlimited data anymore as far as i can tell

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

hobbesmaster posted:

cable companies aren't advertising unlimited data anymore as far as i can tell

yeah it's also for stuff like '250 GB per month*

*throttled into the floor after the first 100 that companies like to do

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

My Linux Rig posted:

hosed up that ghosts have to pay for Internet

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

besides that not really

I am sure it will have to play out in court but what I wonder is if this will prevent cable companies from exempting their own video on demand streaming systems from the caps if they use iptv to do it. right now if you have U-verse the bandwidth used for the tv video streams don't count against your 250gb cap despite coming over the same DSL data link. and just about every provider has a live TV or video on demand ipad app now.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So if data caps aren't impacted, how is this going to make the internet fall apart like shaggar says it will? Won't the people that binge at 1080p and torrent blu ray all day and night pay more for their access to the network?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Shifty Pony posted:

I am sure it will have to play out in court but what I wonder is if this will prevent cable companies from exempting their own video on demand streaming systems from the caps if they use iptv to do it. right now if you have U-verse the bandwidth used for the tv video streams don't count against your 250gb cap despite coming over the same DSL data link. and just about every provider has a live TV or video on demand ipad app now.

i'm guessing this would fall under the 'business justification / technical justification' distinction the fcc set up. if it became an issue it'd go to court i guess

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
RE: AT&T, IPTV and U-Verse data caps: I'd doubt it would impact it. There is nothing inter about at&t iptv. It starts and ends completely on at&ts network.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

net brutality more like, it's just sharia law for the internet

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Just talked to my dad (cable splicer). He said typically there is one CO per city that uverse comes into from dedicated fiber. It branches out to the other COs, and then to the VRADS. It is more or less completely private and never touches the internet. It is completely separate up until the last mile.

It doesn't come out of the COs because AT&T does not want to resell it as they are required to do with pots/dsl.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

maniacdevnull posted:

net brutality more like, it's just sharia law for the internet

obamas set up death.cpl for the innernet

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

computer parts posted:

more like you pay $10 for Netflix and $2 of that is for Netflix to pay ISPs

yeah sure that's how that'd work out ISPs wouldn't use tiering as an excuse to gouge their clients more

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Beeftweeter posted:

obamas set up death.cpl for the innernet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah sure that's how that'd work out ISPs wouldn't use tiering as an excuse to gouge their clients more

their clients are the websites

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
reminder:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
i'm friendster

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Necc0 posted:

does anyone have a good video that describes this in baby language because my facebook has been exploding and normally i'd tell people to just go read up on stuff themselves but a whole mountain of disinformation and paranoid conspiracy theories have popped up out of nowhere overnight so deliberately letting uninformed peeps loose in that is kind of irresponsible
How about a webcomic

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/net_neutrality

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hed posted:

reminder:

I'm the lazy dumbass who put in QQ but still has MySpace

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

basically if you agree with net neutrality you agree with the oatmeal guy

choose wisely

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol at this thread and shagger's terrible opinions forever

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

shaggars postes brought 2 u by wandows metro modern ui with bing

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

Stymie posted:

choose wisely

choose between oatmeal and stymie? gently caress it I'm going back to bed

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

uncurable mlady posted:

if shaggar, fishmech, stymie, verizon, and att are against something then you know it must be the best loving thing since sliced bread so I am v pleased with today's news

Stymie posted:

choose wisely

thanks satan

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

you will pay through increased ISP subscription costs. however, its still highly likely that this just causes ISPs to abandon new infrastructure improvements at their edges. either way its a terrible day for the internet.

My township owns and operates it's own non-profit fiberoptic ISP. 😅

And now this law made it so other towns and county's can follow suit, despite state laws that barred it in favor of large Telecom oligarchy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Stymie posted:

choose wisely
Well on the other hand it's Ted Cruz soooooooo

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Posting from the anarcho-commune across from the cybrary.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

this is so terrible and wrong.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Hed posted:

reminder:

this is also really stupid and anyone who posts it seriously has no idea how the internet works. lol tiered networks are more likely under net neut as ISPs abandon the internet and switch back to private internal network services like how AOL used to work

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

this is also really stupid and anyone who posts it seriously has no idea how the internet works. lol tiered networks are more likely under net neut as ISPs abandon the internet and switch back to private internal network services like how AOL used to work

wtf shaggar. Please explain how this is remotely possible in markets with competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
A literal return to compuserv. lol.

• Locked thread