Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Grognan posted:

If automated trucks become a thing, I think banditry and highwaymen might make a comeback.

Highwaymen are successful because the driver is willing to stop and let them take the goods in exchange for not getting killed. An autonomous driving truck has no incentive to stop, and if it detects someone is trying to unload cargo while it is in motion the truck can take a detour to the nearest police station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

Budget Committee passed the budget 22-13, a party-line vote. There was no vote on the OCO amendment, so no extra defense spending*. It's on to the House Rules Committee, now, and then the floor.

* This is important because McCain has said he won't vote for any budget that leaves military spending at sequestration levels.

Boehner got the Rules Committee to amend the budget to include the higher OCO value.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

KomradeX posted:

Well I've heard McDonald's is in decline but fast food as a whole I'm not sure. Especially with the expansion of "premium" fast food places like Five Guys or Shake Shack and I think those are doing well I know Shake Shack just had a pretty successful IPO back in February

That's my understanding is the shift towards the "higher end". Five Guys, Chipotle, etc. as opposed to McDonalds / Burger King / White Castle. I doubt those lower end places will all up and vanish but the prices at Five Guys are pretty drat close to McDonalds for a meal anyway and the quality is significantly better.

Basically go eat at Five Guys they loving rule.

Old James posted:

Highwaymen are successful because the driver is willing to stop and let them take the goods in exchange for not getting killed. An autonomous driving truck has no incentive to stop, and if it detects someone is trying to unload cargo while it is in motion the truck can take a detour to the nearest police station.

Someone brought up the Maximum Overdrive documentary, but we have multiple documentaries on this new technology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgphD_ZO_jI&t=240s

:3:

Joementum posted:

Boehner got the Rules Committee to amend the budget to include the higher OCO value.

How much is this budget going to play into the runup to the next set of elections in terms of hanging around Republican candidates necks? Are they already positioning to use it as a way to show their purity to the party, seeing as it's non-binding?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
McDonalds' decline is more because there's not a single item they make that some ubiquitous competitor doesn't make better. Burger King has better burgers, a ton of places have better chicken or fish, Wendy's has better salads, etc.

McDonalds just doesn't have anything going for it other than being able to undercut on price a little. The only thing anyone gets a craving for from McDonald's are their temporary items like shamrock shake and Mcrib, which no one would care about if they weren't scarce. And every town on the same street as McDonald's are like a dozen other fast food places.

They are just a generic with no remaining brand power. I think their fall is being compensated for by the rise of other restaurants in general.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

greatn posted:

McDonalds' decline is more because there's not a single item they make that some ubiquitous competitor doesn't make better.

The competitors, especially the new fast-casual chains, also at least pretend the food is decent quality and not nutritionally horrendous. McDonald's is too much of a fixture at the bottom of the barrel to pull that off and they've failed several times.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
McDonald's has also over marketed itself for kids the last few decades , so people do not think its a teenager/adult kind of place nowadays.
So its now more often full of screaming poo poo heads rather than other places, reinforcing that its a poo poo place to eat and talk.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

McDonald's has been the bottom of the barrel for a long time, even in its prime. They survived on providing extremely cheap meals (think about how many poor people you've known who literally lived off of the Dollar Menu) and being just generic and edible enough to not outright drive customers away. Wendy's and Arby's and Steak n' Shake and In-N-Out all make far superior products, but McDonald's used the prominence of its brand and cheapness of the food to appeal to children, loyal consumers, and people who didn't have enough money for better food. They even spent a while trying to intentionally make their restaurants utilitarian, with hard plastic seating in a few bright primary colors and lots of white and yellow in the decor.

Unfortunately for the big guy, McDonald's has failed to improve on its actual quality. Restaurants with better food and bigger portions can now compete with McDonald's for the price of a full meal (excluding things like the Dollar Menu), and even those with less money to spare are getting more of an interest in healthy and tasty food instead of just buying the cheapest poo poo in a bag they can get. McDonald's has tried to rebrand itself by redesigning the restaurants to have comfier and cozier interiors and offering newer menu items that try to emulate their betters, but they're coasting on brand name and market saturation. If the current trend continues, McDonald's will need to really turn itself around to avoid losing major ground.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Old James posted:

But as a perfect machine it's programmed to avoid accidents. I get in front of it, my buddy goes alongside, and we play the world's safest game of chicken--we run it right off the road! Then we hop out of our trucks, bust the sucker open, and grab what we want. It's basically a victimless crime.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
For that matter, has anyone really been inside a fast food place in the last decade or two? Taking orders is always a minority of what the staff is doing, compared to actually preparing them and bringing them to the customer. I mean, sure other things might see further automation, but places with ordering kiosks don't have substantially fewer workers for the same volume, they just reduce the telephone game of specifying that you want no mayo on the cheeseburger and extra mayo on the chicken and not the opposite.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
My favorite local place near me just has you fill out a slip of paper with all the choices on it and hand it to the single cashier at the counter, who takes 3 seconds to ring it up, charges you, and passes it to the cooks.

It's super efficient and lets them move very quickly with only a single cashier even during a lunch rush.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
More details on the doc fix deal, the GOP gets the means testing they want to cover the 170 billion over a decade that repealing SGR will cost, the Dems are getting 2 years of funding for the Children's Health Care Program, which was slated to run out of money October 1st.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

These are the people who want you to believe they can quickly pass a health care reform bill that does not exist. Oy

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

McDonalds' decline is more because there's not a single item they make that some ubiquitous competitor doesn't make better. Burger King has better burgers, a ton of places have better chicken or fish, Wendy's has better salads, etc.

The one thing McDonalds has over competitors is they have decent fries by comparison.

Except places that have waffle or curly fries. In which case they win.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Party Plane Jones posted:

The one thing McDonalds has over competitors is they have decent fries by comparison.

Except places that have waffle or curly fries. In which case they win.

Waffle fries are proof God still loves us.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

That's nice :confused:

Aircraft are fully automated 90% of the time and have been for the better part of a century. Cars are just now approaching where aircraft were decades and decades ago. Full automation is further away than you might think. Driverless cars for interstates only already exist.

(PS drones are under manual control for critical phases of flight and when they lose communications have a tendency to do things like crash in Iran)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Waffle fries are proof God still loves us.

This is the dumbest statement ever made

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can you guys make a truck chat thread? This is boring as gently caress.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

site posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v4KsUihTy4

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

This is the dumbest statement ever made

You don't like waffle fries? Monster.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

hobbesmaster posted:

Aircraft are fully automated 90% of the time and have been for the better part of a century. Cars are just now approaching where aircraft were decades and decades ago. Full automation is further away than you might think. Driverless cars for interstates only already exist.

(PS drones are under manual control for critical phases of flight and when they lose communications have a tendency to do things like crash in Iran)
I read a number of airline pilot forums and someone posted the other day that there was a human performance study done where they pulled a bunch of random CVRs and tracked concerns. The most common phrase uttered related to operations was, "What is it doing now?"

I don't know if that's true, but loving lol.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

site posted:

Yeah, this truck chat is getting over the top.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

agent_wildflower posted:

Yeah, this truck chat is getting over the top.

:wow:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
In non burger/trucking news, the media has noticed that Scott Walker is actively campaigning on the success of a program he is planning on gutting.

quote:

"We invested not only more money in rural health care, we put more money in to train primary care physicians and other health care assistants. And then we put money in our hospitals to help do residencies, so that we weren’t just training — we were actually getting physicians to do their residencies at rural hospitals," Walker said at the Ag Summit on March 7.

quote:

If state funding is cut off, there is "no way" to keep the program running, Crouse said.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

You don't like waffle fries? Monster.

They're proof that god loves us enough that he wants us to meet him sooner. :v:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Winners take it all, losers take the fall.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Aerox posted:

In non burger/trucking news, the media has noticed that Scott Walker is actively campaigning on the success of a program he is planning on gutting.

Walker's stupidity is only surpassed by his incredibly lack of any sort of shame.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Radish posted:

Walker's stupidity is only surpassed by his incredibly lack of any sort of shame.
I wanna know how politicians so thoroughly shed their shame before trying for office. Is there some training course or something on how to do it?

edit: I mean, it's a basic human emotion so he must have had it at some point, and then did away with it somehow.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 19, 2015

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

Aircraft are fully automated 90% of the time and have been for the better part of a century.

What I was trying to get at is that if an autopilot can handle a situation where part of the wing suddenly goes missing (https://youtu.be/QJkIONTzbNM?t=35s), then we ought to be able to make one that keeps a truck on the road if it loses a tire, too.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wanna know how politicians so thoroughly shed their shame before trying for office. Is there some training course or something on how to do it?

edit: I mean, it's a basic human emotion so he must have had it at some point, and then did away with it somehow.

Psychopathy is a gift from birth.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not if you're genetically pre-disposed to being a total sociopath.

efb;

DemeaninDemon posted:

WaffleCurly Cajun fries are proof God still loves us.

Fixed that for you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rep. Mark Takano did his red pen routine again, this time with a Rubio op-ed piece on Net Neutrality.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Aerox posted:

"I'm gonna wreck it!"

- Scott "Wreck It Ralph" Walker

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

These are the people who want you to believe they can quickly pass a health care reform bill that does not exist. Oy

I'm not sure they can even pass their own budget now. Sneaking stuff like this in always, always pisses off the budget hawks and Boehner's going to lose votes over it. Normally, you'd guess that he has a whip count showing that he's safe, but with how he handled the DHS funding, who knows?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Rep. Mark Takano did his red pen routine again, this time with a Rubio op-ed piece on Net Neutrality.

Can I get a link to this?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

I'm guessing this one isn't gonna get published like Rubio's though, right? :(

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Not if you're genetically pre-disposed to being a total sociopath.

efb;

Fixed that for you.

Hmmm both are delicious.

So aside from decades of poo poo Wisconsin will have can Walker have any lasting impact? Like he feels more like the 2016 version of Rick Perry.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Party Plane Jones posted:

What they actually have is consistency. Smaller chains are pretty good about this too but you can go anywhere in the country and your burger will be made almost exactly the same. You don't have to worry about the lovely BK on this side of town, or the Carl's Jr that overcooks every burger, or the Jack in the Box that's always out of everything.

This is a direct consequence of the way McDonalds corporate micromanages franchises, and is the reason they're suing Seattle over the minimum wage schedule and facing lawsuits in several other places relating to their characterization of franchisees as separate from the corporate parent.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CommieGIR posted:

Can I get a link to this?

Marco, please don’t draft essays on your return flight from Iowa. See me in my office and I’ll walk you through Net Neutrality.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Which is why it's rare to see semis on interstate routes like 70, right?

They're a shitload rarer than trucks are on, say, European highways. And it's all down to how America is in the top 2 or 3 countries worldwide for amount of freight hauled by train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Old James posted:

I'm just picturing an 18 wheeler sitting outside a police station beeping its horn in morse code all excitedly and it is adorable.

Also all you'd have to do to stop it would be drive in front of it and slow down right? The sensors would think there was a car in front of it and tell it to slow down no? Like trick it into thinking it was in a traffic jam.

And what happens when a sensor goes out on the road? Or it has a mechanical problem? From where do they dispatch the repair men? Will they have a service center in every city or will a new industry crop up?

• Locked thread