Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
not only is this phenomenon a distinctly first world white people problem, but its way more prominent in America/Canada then most other countries.

http://news.nationalpost.com/the-kids-menu/

quote:

Mealtimes for children were quite different just a few decades ago. Over the past few months, I’ve spoken casually and in formal interviews with dozens of people about food and childhood. As a general rule, people who grew up in North America and are now over the age of 30 recall that when they were children, kids ate what the adults ate. Families usually dined together at the table. There might have been foods you didn’t like; depending on the rules of the house you might have been expected to try them or even finish them. Or you might have been free not to, as long as there weren’t too many foods you were refusing. Either way, it wouldn’t have occurred to you that an adult was going jump up from the table to prepare you something precisely to your liking. And if you didn’t eat, you might have to wait quite a while for the next opportunity: Studies show that North American kids snack more often and consume more calories than they did in the 1970s.

Advocates of healthy and diverse diets for children often find inspiration in France, a country where the food landscape for children retains a pre-1990s quaintness, and where the concept of a picky eater almost doesn’t exist. French parents and teachers explicitly talk about the food education that children require in order to become mature eaters. They receive training that gently pries open the natural fussiness that most small children exhibit to some degree, opening their little minds and palates to a world of flavour.

“At the core of the French approach is the belief that you teach your kids to eat just as you can teach them to read,” says Karen Le Billon, author of the 2012 book French Kids Eat Everything. “You start young, it takes time, and some kids take more time than others. And unless there are underlying medical issues, all kids can get there.” An Anglo-Canadian university professor, Le Billon moved to France for a year in 2008 with her French husband and two young, Vancouver-raised daughters — whose starch-loving, snack-dependent, picky Canadian ways quickly raised the ire of her in-laws and others they met in a little village in Brittany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think there should be a law forcing people who only eat boneless "chicken wings" to refer to them as chicky nuggets, because that's what they are

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
*has a mental illness*

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Drunkboxer posted:

I think there should be a law forcing people who only eat boneless "chicken wings" to refer to them as chicky nuggets, because that's what they are

Wyngz is already a shameful enough name

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Xaris posted:

aka the republican diet.

i've noticed that most picky eaters who only eat poo poo like hot dogs, corn, and bland applebee type stuff tend to be libertarian/conservatives and people who'll eat anything and love vegetables tend to be liberal

confirmationbias.txt

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

It really blows my mind that we have actual full grown adults who don't eat any fruits and vegetables or seafood or anything more exotic than a goddamn happy meal. How the gently caress do you make it that far in life eating nothing but kids menu garbage without dying of malnutrition or shame?

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Why is it always chicken tenders that seem to be the only food these people can eat?

It's children's menu food. Picky eaters have no problem with plain hamburgers, chicken nuggets, hot dogs, fries and soda because their parents let them eat from the kid's menu from age 3 all the way through college and never made them eat anything green to avoid a tantrum.

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 23, 2015

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

I think that pesto and truffles taste like licking the bottom of a used garbage bag.

On that note If you love sour cream drink plain kefir- the taste is really close and is supposedly good for you.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Corny Cornflake posted:

On that note If you love sour cream drink plain kefir- the taste is really close and is supposedly good for you.
Its good but I'm pretty sure the health thing is just one of those things where people say an unfamiliar food is really good for you and you don't know any better, like mangosteen juice or matcha tea.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Corny Cornflake posted:

I think that pesto and truffles taste like licking the bottom of a used garbage bag.

just be a man and eat the sour cream

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
It's amazing that a person can be so oblivious/stupid that they do not realize that nonchalantly refusing a meal someone cooked for you is about the gravest loving insult you can inflict on a motherfucker.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

a hole-y ghost posted:

Its good but I'm pretty sure the health thing is just one of those things where people say an unfamiliar food is really good for you and you don't know any better, like mangosteen juice or matcha tea.

IIRC it's good for your digestive system since it's full of live bacteria, kinda like yogurt.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

just be a man and eat the sour cream

Yeah but you gotta use a spoo...

*realizes I'm no different than a soylent cum chugger*

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Corny Cornflake posted:

Out of pesto, truffles, and the bottom of a used garbage bag, I've only tasted pesto and I like it. What I wonder is this: When did you taste the bottom of a used garbage bag?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

Out of pesto, truffles, and the bottom of a used garbage bag, I've only tasted pesto and I like it. What I wonder is this: When did you taste the bottom of a used garbage bag?

I guess he could have gotten the trash bag outside a italian restaurant.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I guess he could have gotten the trash bag outside a italian restaurant.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

it's almost like any unprocessed food is really good for you in some way! WOW! :monocle:

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

It's just a little theory I have- to me truffles and pesto taste like a mixture of things that have gone bad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Corny Cornflake posted:

I've never eaten truffles mostly because I don't care how good food is supposed to be I'm not paying $100 for a steak with truffle butter.

Pesto can taste radically different depending on how its made, and you can make homemade pesto that taste nothing like store bought prepacked pesto and might like it.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Feminition posted:

i honestly just don't understand how people can go "no! i'll never like it!" and refuse to eat stuff other than the first time or two they try it

like man, it's almost as if gaining a palate for something is a process of you continuously trying to eat it

Free upbringing and/or pussy-footin parents who are afraid that if they set rules and boundaries for their little pee-wee child service will come and take little pee-wee away on the note of child abuse because you didnt serve chikkin nuggitz and soda poppy every day

First world needs to push the reset button and chill the gently caress out

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

also feeding your child bucketful of sugar everyday and wondering why they turn out to be obese spazoid manchildren

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
FYI you guys might be triggering other goons, so tread lightly

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3456453&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

quote:

I'm 33. I have normal blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight. I'm pretty sure there's no scientific proof saying that you need vegetables in order to be healthy. There are no vitamins or nutrients in vegetables that you can't get in other foods and/or pills.

Like I said, I'm a supertaster, which is an actual thing. One big thing with supertasters is that we can detect bitterness where normal people can't. Like, some people will say vodka tastes like nothing at all. Others will say it tastes only mildly bitter. To a supertaster, vodka is unbearably, extremely bitter. I'll throw up instantly if there is vodka in my mouth. This is the problem with most vegetables- they're VERY bitter to me. You can say that peas and carrots taste totally different, and they do, but they both have a VERY strong bitter taste to me that will make me instantly vomit. I'm not against trying different things- I've tried tons of different vegetables and they're pretty much all disgusting, with the exception of potatoes, onions, and tomatoes (well I guess tomatoes are technically a fruit but whatever.)

Like I said, I also can't eat most fruits because almost all fruits are sweet, and the taste- or even smell- of sweetness also makes me vomit. People can sit there and talk about how easy it is to develop an acquired taste, but they don't understand what's it's like when the large majority of food makes you literally, physically gag and throw up, sometimes just from the smell of it, let alone the taste. If I was trapped on a desert island and was starving, I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't be able to eat a vegetable, I would just gag and throw it up as soon as it was in my mouth.

quote:

This is a list of pretty much any meal I eat ever:

- Steak and a baked potato with cheese and sour cream
- cheeseburger with ONLY ketchup and mayo and potato chips
- broiled fish (either whitefish or tilapia, no other kind) and clam chowder
- fried chicken and jojos with ranch dressing
- kung pao chicken and steamed white rice
- beef and cheese burrito and tortilla chips and salsa
- spicy chicken sandwich with cheese and mayo on it and potato chips
- hamburger helper (classic) and potato chips
- tuna helper (classic) and potato chips
- buffalo wings and mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce
- cheese ravioli with marinara sauce and garlic bread

And yeah that is pretty much all I eat ever at any time. It's not even like it's fun or anything. I've been eating the same stuff for so many years that I'm really, really sick of it, but I literally cannot stomach eating anything else, and believe me I have tried.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

pentyne posted:

FYI you guys might be triggering other goons, so tread lightly

good

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

pentyne posted:

quote:

- Steak and a baked potato with cheese and sour cream
- cheeseburger with ONLY ketchup and mayo and potato chips
- broiled fish (either whitefish or tilapia, no other kind) and clam chowder
- fried chicken and jojos with ranch dressing
- kung pao chicken and steamed white rice
- beef and cheese burrito and tortilla chips and salsa
- spicy chicken sandwich with cheese and mayo on it and potato chips
- hamburger helper (classic) and potato chips
- tuna helper (classic) and potato chips
- buffalo wings and mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce
- cheese ravioli with marinara sauce and garlic bread
I like how specific these meals are. This guy knows what he wants.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

a hole-y ghost posted:

I like how specific these meals are. This guy knows what he wants.

holy poo poo :captainpop:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xaris posted:

holy poo poo :captainpop:

"uh you don't get it I have a super evolved tongue and its a medical condition WHY AM I DISCRIMINATED AGAINST!?"

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

If those foods are any indication, apparently he can indeed eat carrots, celery, bell peppers, and chili peppers but only if they're drowned in fat and salt.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

*adds 2 new entries into sissies.txt*

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
are there supertasters and picky eaters out there who only eat vegetables and seafood, or do the symptoms of this illness always consist in being only able to eat fried chicken potatoes and sweet/creamy sauces and soft drink? whoever pointed out that picky eaters only eat whats on kids menus got it right and pinpointed the problem--kids bitching for the fatty sugar rush foods and their parents caving in and getting them for them all the time.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

DeseretRain posted:

Is this really a thing? People forcing themselves to eat food they hate just because they are adults and feel that "adults should eat foods they hate"? Because honestly that seems pretty ridiculous to me. If you hate carrots, why eat them? Why not just get the vitamins you could get from carrots in the form of a pill? Seriously I just find it exceptionally weird that there are people who think that eating certain foods has anything at all to do with being "an adult."
Why do you have to learn to eat anything but fried chicken and hamburger helper when you can just take vitamins? Why learn to wipe your own bum hole when mommy and daddy will get the pee pee poo poo for you??

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

are there supertasters and picky eaters out there who only eat vegetables and seafood, or do the symptoms of this illness always consist in being only able to eat fried chicken potatoes and sweet/creamy sauces and soft drink?
I think you know the answer.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

picky eaters actually bug me a lot. luckily, the two friends i have who've always been picky have been shamed by friends or spouses into eating different stuff as adults, which is actually kind of cool because i get to do stuff like take a grown person to their first sushi restaurant and see what they like. I recently went out with people and ordered a vietnamese po-boy with head cheese and hated it, but still felt super embarrassed that i couldn't finish more than like 3/4 because well, i'm an adult

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i only eat sauteed vegetables, greek yogurt, lentils and all fruits, im a supertaster so my rare stats disqualify me from consuming fried chicken, potato chips, soft drink and other things they taste so bitter to me and make my fussy tummy just wretchie poo

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

pentyne posted:

they were raised as special snowflakes and just threw temper tantrums into their teens until their parents just gave up and let them eat chicken nugs, pizza, and hot pockets. I even met a guy who would refuse to eat anything that wasn't prepackaged in sealed bags (like fruit snacks, granola bars, bags of chips)

People who insist on Amerimush at every meal usually take a lot of pride in their down-to-Earth ordinariness. It's being raised to value one's individuality that encourages people to leave their comfort zones, however much the practice irritates uptight dorks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I made a mental list of what I predicted this guy would "be able" to eat before reading the second post, he had a broader range than I thought, but the basics were all there.

He has a mental disorder.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

I made a mental list of what I predicted this guy would "be able" to eat before reading the second post, he had a broader range than I thought, but the basics were all there.

Nillerz posted:

my wife is from Japan. she gave me permission to use the term "jappo", and says that it's not racist and those who think it is are retards.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

ah Nillerz, source of so much fun

Im still not 100% sure he wasnt just elaborate troll

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

its all just fast food or fast food varieties.

and lol and being a "super taster" and eating bags of potato chips for almost every meal.

Orkin Mang posted:

are there supertasters and picky eaters out there who only eat vegetables and seafood, or do the symptoms of this illness always consist in being only able to eat fried chicken potatoes and sweet/creamy sauces and soft drink? whoever pointed out that picky eaters only eat whats on kids menus got it right and pinpointed the problem--kids bitching for the fatty sugar rush foods and their parents caving in and getting them for them all the time.

The vast, vast majority of specific/picky eaters subsist on fats and carbs. Most of the rebuttals to "picky eaters deserve to be recognized and restaurants need to cater to us" and picky eater advocacy groups always point out the pizza/burgers/fries as the mainstay of picky eaters and how no one ever becomes a picky eater who only eats fruits and veg.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

*goes to upscale italian restaurant*

*orders buttered penne and nothing else*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

One I witnessed in person, at an upscale bar and grill type place:

"Do you have bread?"

"Do you have butter?"

"Do you have cheese?"

"Can you make me a grilled cheese?"

And then he threw a fit when the waitress told him that the chef would not slap together a grilled cheese for him.

• Locked thread