Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I have a Cipher, a Chanter and a Priest and a Wizard just wasn't keeping up or bringing anything worthwhile to the table apart from slicken. Might wheel one out at higher level to see if he's good yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Scorchy posted:

You get access to a player-owned stronghold about 1/3rd of the way through the game.

Is getting to Caed Nua really the first third of the game? I've got there in like 10 hours, really taking my time exploring every map before it. I thought PoE was a good old 100+ hours kind of game?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Taear posted:

It seems like they're only any good if you're really directed and know just what to cast and what to do as well as focusing on CC.
Because I can't be bothered with that level of micromanaging I just got rid of Aloth altogether and I'd definitely never make a wizard PC.

My biggest issue is the ridiculously small range on so many of their spells.

Strangely, for single damage targets their magic missile-esque spells are really good. The bouncing one slightly less so.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Jolan posted:

Is getting to Caed Nua really the first third of the game? I've got there in like 10 hours, really taking my time exploring every map before it. I thought PoE was a good old 100+ hours kind of game?

I'm not sure where you're getting 100+ hours, that just sounds insane for any game like this even at the high end. I've just finished Act 2 and am 8 levels into Endless Paths with 26 hours played on this save.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If I were to place a number on it, I'd say if you did every single quest you could find and took your time exploring you'd end up around 60-65 hours, using the speed-up toggle.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Jolan posted:

If you do the majority of the side quests and aren't trying to rush through things most people seem to be hitting 45-50 hours for a full play through.

Which is amazing. I don't think there has been a game that was genuinely that long without being stuff with filler in years. My own play through was over 60 hours and I probably missed about 25% of the side quests.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Disinterested posted:

Am I correctly getting the vibe that a wizard isn't necessarily the best thing to roll with right now?

A high-int wizard is king of CC/debuffs imo. I don't use Aloth as a damage dealer at all; that's what rogues and ciphers are for. Instead (when it's a fight worth spending his spells on) he makes sure that every enemy he can get in range of spends the entire fight either blind or on the floor, if not both.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Walrus Pete posted:

A high-int wizard is king of CC/debuffs imo. I don't use Aloth as a damage dealer at all; that's what rogues and ciphers are for. Instead (when it's a fight worth spending his spells on) he makes sure that every enemy he can get in range of spends the entire fight either blind or on the floor, if not both.

This is how I've started, so I'll see how it goes.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I would really like wizard a lot better if they didn't feel as useless during small engagements when you don't want to be casting their spells.

This is my favourite game in years but one of my few complaints is that no class really comes close to feeling as fun as spellcasters could in BG2

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Wezlar posted:

This is my favourite game in years but one of my few complaints is that no class really comes close to feeling as fun as spellcasters could in BG2

A correctly spec.ed Sorcer or Wizard in vanilla BG2 with the correct items was basically a legit god so I'm ok with it being undertuned from that, but I feel a bit useless so far in my early wizard game run relatively speaking.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cthulhuite posted:

If you do the majority of the side quests and aren't trying to rush through things most people seem to be hitting 45-50 hours for a full play through.

Which is amazing. I don't think there has been a game that was genuinely that long without being stuff with filler in years. My own play through was over 60 hours and I probably missed about 25% of the side quests.

I am just about to attend the Animancy hearings with pretty much every side-quest cleared out and Steam says I'm at 42 hours. At least 15 of these is me being alt-tabbed while a) the party runs towards an exit and b) game sits at a loading screen.

The game is installed on an SSD, btw.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Anal Papist posted:

For people asking about sales numbers earlier, there is a steam achievement for the 77k backers that is currently sitting at 19%, which would give a very rough figure of around 385k total players.

I doubt every backer got a steam copy, but even if you assume 50% of them did, and only 50% of them actually got the achievement, that 19% still points to 100k total players, which is pretty cool.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Cthulhuite posted:

Yeah, it's still an impressively long time for a single play-through, but I was under the impression that they were going more towards BG2's duration. Then again, I never managed to get through all of BG2 because it took too long for an easily distracted teenage completionist, so 40-50 hours is probably ideal, actually.

Megazver posted:

I am just about to attend the Animancy hearings with pretty much every side-quest cleared out and Steam says I'm at 42 hours. At least 15 of these is me being alt-tabbed while a) the party runs towards an exit and b) game sits at a loading screen.

You can alt-tab/open Steam overlay on a loading screen without the game crashing? Please take me as your apprentice! (Because god drat some of these loading times.)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

2house2fly posted:

I doubt every backer got a steam copy, but even if you assume 50% of them did, and only 50% of them actually got the achievement, that 19% still points to 100k total players, which is pretty cool.

Slacker backers (like me) also get the "backer" achievement, though. So the kickstarter numbers are probably way off ,since I imagine a lot of folks preordered from the website over the past two years or so.

Heck, I bought a discount gift copy through the website less than a month ago and that person got the achievement.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

evilmiera posted:

Strangely, for single damage targets their magic missile-esque spells are really good. The bouncing one slightly less so.

It feels like druids just do everything Wizards do, but better. I've dropped a whole encounter of skeletons/darguls with that bouncing fireball they get which only hits enemies.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Jolan posted:

My game just topped out at 48 and change, and that's with running all exploration at x2 speed and all combat at half speed. The only things I didn't tackle (as far as I know) are the second round of stronghold bounties and a sidequest to collect some birds.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Disinterested posted:

A correctly spec.ed Sorcer or Wizard in vanilla BG2 with the correct items was basically a legit god so I'm ok with it being undertuned from that, but I feel a bit useless so far in my early wizard game run relatively speaking.

Oh yeah for sure.
As a casual player Wizards were strong and fun, did a lot of damage, fireballs and stuff were all sweet death dealing machines
As a min maxer Wizards were a godlike destroyers, which were a ton of fun when you were min maxing
And then when you acchieved system mastery you could do stuff like solo FMT and it was both fun and challenging.

But I will stop here because I don't want to start a BG2 balance derail (though I think this thread moves to fast to ever really get derailed)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
While admittedly I've restarted once at the start of Act 2, I have 54 hours played on Steam (with maybe ~5 total of idling) and I haven't even started with Defiance Bay yet so how many hours you get out of this game varies quite a bit.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Regardless of what the actual units sold number is, Paradox's Randy Pitchford equivalent stated that PoE and Cities: Skylines brought in combined revenues of $18.5 million over the last three weeks and that while C:S is the bigger seller of the two, PoE would be Paradox's best-selling game to date in its absence, though he noted they're not seeing most of its profits (as it should be).

Presuming that Obsidian makes $15 in profit per unit sold (a number I pulled straight out of my rear end), they'd need to sell about 275,000 copies to surpass what they raised and put into the game (barring credit or other capital beyond Kickstarter).

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Slacker backers (like me) also get the "backer" achievement, though. So the kickstarter numbers are probably way off ,since I imagine a lot of folks preordered from the website over the past two years or so.

Heck, I bought a discount gift copy through the website less than a month ago and that person got the achievement.

Yeah, that's the main problem. We can't really get accurate numbers on who backed or not, just who pre-ordered. Still, if every giftable copy was given out and played, and we'd be going by about a 5th of actual sales for that, Obsidian would be looking at at least a few hundred k copies sold, maybe half a million even, with sales still ongoing. Not too shabby at that pricepoint.

Edit: Also, it wasn't just me, the All Strongholds buildings achievement is busted. Think with eventual summer sales and other similar events they'll reach a million sold at the very least, too.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 1, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Jolan posted:

You can alt-tab/open Steam overlay on a loading screen without the game crashing? Please take me as your apprentice! (Because god drat some of these loading times.)

I switched to windowed mode and can alt+tab, yes. If you try to alt+tab when the loading screen isn't quite on, the game will stop letting you alt+tab for that session, though. So instead of just pressing alt+tab, switch by holding it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Minor spoiler request -- item drop location

Anyone know where the "Ring of Thorns" drops? Is it main-quest or side-quest? I just realized that there are two +3 Dexterity items in game but one is gated past the Doemenels and I don't want to do their content if I can avoid it for RP reasons. Other is the Ring of Thorns.

I just need like quest name / location, not a detailed how-to to get it. just enough to make sure I know if I miss it.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

PoE doesn't need to make a pile of cash for Obsidian for it to be economically worthwhile since it's going to be an enormous reputation booster.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

What's the deal with the (Suppressed) note on items in the character sheet?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Is the game still very buggy or is it safe to play? Yes no maybe?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lugaloco posted:

You've got two items or buffs with the same benefit and they don't stack.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Taear posted:

My biggest issue is the ridiculously small range on so many of their spells.

Please make perception boost spell range. Or -something- boost spell range, at least.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

It means you're already wearing gear that boosts a given stat as much or more. Gear bonuses don't stack.

E;fb

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Depths posted:

It's sort of buggy, but a patch is incoming soon enough. Possibly after easter, I guess?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lugaloco posted:

Equipment buffs don't stack and instead only use the highest boost, i.e. You equipped a helmet that gives you +2 Resolve and a glove that gives you +1 Resolve. The helmet's buff will cancel out the glove's buff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Depths posted:

The big ones seem to be found and are at least avoidable.

Don't double click items to equip them, Don't save or reload in zones where you recruit characters seem to be the big ones.

Also that one mentioned above with ciphers where once per game startup you have to right-click your abilities to get the proper AoE bonus from Int, but that has a workaround that's not too onerous.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Is it possible to rename enchanted items? I have a really hard time keeping track of the 4 different Fine Stillettos I've enchanted differently.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Disinterested posted:

Am I correctly getting the vibe that a wizard isn't necessarily the best thing to roll with right now?

Wizards really start coming into their own as you level up, and once you get to level 9 and get per-encounter Slickens and Fans of Flames they get completely ridiculous. My Aloth was clearing out entire encounters at the bottom of Od Nua with Fan of Flames, it's crazy. I think they'd probably be more viable at low levels if people (well, me) didn't ration spell slots as much. If you're finding that you're going to rest with spellbooks that aren't empty, you should probably use more magic.

Anyway. How is the fight with the Adra Dragon supposed to go?

I think it bugged out for me. I took the pendant, placed it on the hand, took it to Dragon Slayer, told her what was going on, amulet shattered, and then I went back down to fight the thing. I thought it would be hostile, or at least drag me into a pre-fight conversation, but no, it was still friendly, and talking to it just got me a message that its mind was elsewhere. I had to force-attack to initiate combat- with Itumaak, which gave me enough time to lay down a whole bunch of buffs and use every token I had on hand. Then I hit it with a scroll of Paralysis and that was it. Fight was over in seconds and I don't think anyone other than the fox took a single point of damage.

It was a little anticlimactic. :(

e: vvvvvvvvv

I think people have been talking about it outside of spoilers before, but okay.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 1, 2015

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

Wizards really start coming into their own as you level up, and once you get to level 9 and get per-encounter Slickens and Fans of Flames they get completely ridiculous. My Aloth was clearing out entire encounters at the

Please spoiler almost all of that, come on. It's just come out!

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 1, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It works and you can just be diligent about not doing the bugged things (double-clicking instead of dragging, etc).

I beat the game and will have More Thoughts when it's not 6:20 AM on a Wednesday but this game lulled into me into a false sense of security in the sense that dialogue was rarely if ever of any real consequence in IE games (PS:T exempted of course, but even it treated divergent dialogue mostly as hidden xp caches). In PoE by contrast, you can't assume that conversations will have set / binary outcomes. I completed a companion quest and assumed "oh, this is just meant to be a bummer". 5 minutes later I get TPKed and start the quest sequence again, choosing different options and, somehow, getting a far less bleak result. That doesn't happen in IE games (maybe the Codex can mod that in?)

Also one of my favorite things was the soul flashback where Thaos asks you who the heretic woman is to you. I thought it wouldn't truly matter at all (sort of like the background you give Calisca in the prologue), but the game committed to that choice in nearly every conversation with the character, in a way that really surprised me, given that there were three or four other options that were quite different (I chose that she was my sister). That sort of retroactive establishment of the past is something they did with KOTOR2 and it works as well here as it did there. It gave weight to what was otherwise an honestly sort of malnourished plot. I got to own that, just a bit.

Though really who knows, maybe it's a parlor trick and the dialogues are pretty much the same no matter what you picked.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

It works and you can just be diligent about not doing the bugged things (double-clicking instead of dragging, etc).

I beat the game and will have More Thoughts when it's not 6:20 AM on a Wednesday but this game lulled into me into a false sense of security in the sense that dialogue was rarely if ever of any real consequence in IE games (PS:T exempted of course, but even it treated divergent dialogue mostly as hidden xp caches). In PoE by contrast, you can't assume that conversations will have set / binary outcomes. I completed a companion quest and assumed "oh, this is just meant to be a bummer". 5 minutes later I get TPKed and start the quest sequence again, choosing different options and, somehow, getting a far less bleak result. That doesn't happen in IE games (maybe the Codex can mod that in?)

Also one of my favorite things was the soul flashback where Thaos asks you who the heretic woman is to you. I thought it wouldn't truly matter at all (sort of like the background you give Calisca in the prologue), but the game committed to that choice in nearly every conversation with the character, in a way that really surprised me, given that there were three or four other options that were quite different (I chose that she was my sister). That sort of retroactive establishment of the past is something they did with KOTOR2 and it works as well here as it did there. It gave weight to what was otherwise an honestly sort of malnourished plot. I got to own that, just a bit.

Though really who knows, maybe it's a parlor trick and the dialogues are pretty much the same no matter what you picked.

I said she was my love and it reacted to that, at least to an extent I think.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I completed a companion quest and assumed "oh, this is just meant to be a bummer". 5 minutes later I get TPKed and start the quest sequence again, choosing different options and, somehow, getting a far less bleak result. That doesn't happen in IE games (maybe the Codex can mod that in?)

Was this Eder's personal quest? I had it end with us finding a metal standard that his brother carried at an old battle ground, using my cipher powers to see his brother meeting Waidwen, but not being able to see what Waidwen said to him. Eder seemed really bummed out by this conclusion since it answered none of his questions and I had the strong feeling I could have done more for him.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

fentan posted:

Was this Eder's personal quest? I had it end with us finding a metal standard that his brother carried at an old battle ground, using my cipher powers to see his brother meeting Waidwen, but not being able to see what Waidwen said to him. Eder seemed really bummed out by this conclusion since it answered none of his questions and I had the strong feeling I could have done more for him.

This is how it ended for me as well.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I wandered around Defiance Bay being a murderhobo and of course promptly slaughtered the Doemenemenemabob dudes in Brackenbury. And then I grabbed the fuckoff huge diamond that google tells me is for a quest from them. I don't really mind losing out on content for scummy drug-dealers because ~my RP~ but does this thing have some other use? I mean it feels really dumb to have the biggest, baddest jewel in the land stuck in my inventory for the rest of the game, surely the people of Dyrwood have some fences among them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Also I've noticed (like others mentioned previously) that any mob which has a charm always charms my Druid. No matter where he's stood. Is there a reason? Because it seems dumb, he doesn't do a lot of damage sans-magic.

And in other news - where's a good place to find some Rubies?

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 1, 2015

• Locked thread