Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
What the gently caress that was a sudden death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Casull posted:

What the gently caress that was a sudden death

Agreed. There was basically zero foreshadowing that we'd hit a dead end here. I'd almost wished we got to see why everybody suddenly decided to go murder/suicide-happy instead of stumbling on a pile of bloody bodies post massacre.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

tiistai posted:

Gotta say it still kinda bothers me a little how Tenmyouji and Phi died in pretty weird positions even assuming they slit their own throats.

They were clearly just making themselves comfortable beforehand. The others would've gone and used the medical beds if they'd had any sense.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

We're all one step removed from those assholes in Minority Report who prosecuted people for future crimes they had yet to commit. :v:

We're morphogenetic assholes.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I'm half-convinced that Dio started off by killing Tenmyouji and Phi, K walked in, killed Dio and left to find everyone else, and one by one other people walked into the room, saw the carnage, and had their latent Radical-6 infections get triggered before killing themselves.

Rinse and repeat with every member of the cast except Quark (who's god knows where) and K (who's still trying to figure out where everyone went, much like Sigma).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
But Phi was affected by Radical-6 when we saw her earlier, which is why she looked stoned.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

xeose4 posted:

We're morphogenetic assholes.

Man, how did you know about my new band, Morphogenetic Assholes?

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

John Lee posted:

Man, how did you know about my new band, Morphogenetic Assholes?

From my doctor, of course.

He classifies it as a Grade A multiverse intestinal disease.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 12, 2015

Lokesin
Apr 20, 2013
I think one explanation for this ending is that 'Zero' noticed that someone had figured something out that they didn't want them to, and as such decided it was time for a really radical party in the treatment center.

The curious absence of Quark and K from The Party Pile would put them rather high up on the list of suspects.

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify it in my head because what the gently caress that was sudden.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Lokesin posted:

I think one explanation for this ending is that 'Zero' noticed that someone had figured something out that they didn't want them to, and as such decided it was time for a really radical party in the treatment center.

The curious absence of Quark and K from The Party Pile would put them rather high up on the list of suspects.

Or maybe I'm just trying to justify it in my head because what the gently caress that was sudden.

Eeeh, that seems kind of out of character for this Zero. Considering the circumstances (two powerful espers with time travel powers locked up alongside a couple of of lesser espers - which Clover states would result in the lesser espers powers being 'eaten' by the more powerful espers) I find it believable that the entire point of this Nonary game is to get the players to figure things out - especially considering how many blatant clues have been left lying about the facility - and/or force rapid development of Sigma and Phi's esper powers - possibly in an attempt to replicate Akane's stupidly powerful abilities?

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
With all this speculation now I'm starting to think of weird poo poo, like Quark being Zero, or this all being a way to teach them how to make a cure for Radical 6 (I think Sigma was some kind of virologist or something anyway??) and send the information BACK IN TIME or some such insanity. All bets are off!

Edit: Or MAYBE the entire release of Radical-6 is a hoax and an alternate reality version of Sigma who had never been captured will get the information transmitted and make the cure before it even becomes a problem!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Seems like a possible bit of insanity, but it can't be a case of finding a cure since one already exists (the bottle Dio used to blackmail Quark's life). Maybe something about using the cure, but it seems to be just a simple shot. If you want to subscribe to the far future theory then maybe learning how to make the cure that now exists could make sense, but if that were the case then I feel like there would have been a puzzle or notes about manually creating the cure from scratch instead of finding a bottle of the completed product

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Poll's closed; looks like we're going back to betray Quark (and Tenmyouji (and Clover)) on the basis of it can't possibly turn out much worse than this, right?

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
It's been so long since I played VLR that I'm looking forward to finding out what happens there.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Sentient Data posted:

Seems like a possible bit of insanity, but it can't be a case of finding a cure since one already exists (the bottle Dio used to blackmail Quark's life). Maybe something about using the cure, but it seems to be just a simple shot. If you want to subscribe to the far future theory then maybe learning how to make the cure that now exists could make sense, but if that were the case then I feel like there would have been a puzzle or notes about manually creating the cure from scratch instead of finding a bottle of the completed product

Maybe its not about the cure, but rather about Free the Soul. I mean, thanks to Dio happily blabbing anything he feels like when he feels like he's already won Sigma and Phi now know an awful lot about how the organization works. Significantly more than the secret agent bent on destroying it does at least. Maybe its about Sigma and Phi getting the information back to past Alice and Clover? It'd certainly explain their presence beyond maybe being esper batteries.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

GilliamYaeger posted:

I'm half-convinced that Dio started off by killing Tenmyouji and Phi, K walked in, killed Dio and left to find everyone else, and one by one other people walked into the room, saw the carnage, and had their latent Radical-6 infections get triggered before killing themselves.

Rinse and repeat with every member of the cast except Quark (who's god knows where) and K (who's still trying to figure out where everyone went, much like Sigma).

I picture it more like the end of Penn & Teller Get Killed. Quark's going to walk in behind Sigma, then K, then Zero Sr., then GAU-LEM, then Professor Hyde-White, the Harlem Globetrotters, Mrs. Fields, Air Bud, the Mario Brothers, the Kickstarter backer who paid for the "cameo appearance in the game" tier, until the whole thing builds up into a singularity of suicide.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It might be an art oversight, but one thing I noticed when I went back to look at the carnage image is that you can't see any bracelets, whether or not they're still on the wrists.

Maybe K just grabbed all of them and fled.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Since they're dead the bracelets would have come off, but you're right that they are peculiarly hidden.

K was about to be paired up with Luna and Clover, dunno what he'd need anyone else's bracelets for.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's not like K could slit his own throat with a scalpel even if he wanted to, though. The suit doesn't look like it comes off easily. He probably went off to, I dunno, find an axe to take in the back or something.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just want to say that I hate the term "Esper" and constantly wonder why people would use that term. What's wrong with psychic?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
As far as I understand that is the commonly accepted term for that kind of thing in Japanese, so it's probably a result of localization just not changing it

I don't think the term ever comes up in English 999 so I wonder if that was a localization change back then?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just want to say that I hate the term "Esper" and constantly wonder why people would use that term. What's wrong with psychic?

The term comes from "ESP'er", as in someone who has ESP. So it works for people with psychic abilities.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

As far as I understand that is the commonly accepted term for that kind of thing in Japanese, so it's probably a result of localization just not changing it

Yeah, that's exactly it. "Esper" (from ESP, extrasensory perception) has been a common word for "psychic" in Japanese pop culture for decades now, possibly because the "proper" word for ESP (choukankakutekichikaku) is ridiculously long and unsexy and no one wants to say that. Whether it should've been translated that way or not is another question.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Nidoking posted:

I picture it more like the end of Penn & Teller Get Killed. Quark's going to walk in behind Sigma, then K, then Zero Sr., then GAU-LEM, then Professor Hyde-White, the Harlem Globetrotters, Mrs. Fields, Air Bud, the Mario Brothers, the Kickstarter backer who paid for the "cameo appearance in the game" tier, until the whole thing builds up into a singularity of suicide.

Where is that Community Darkest timeline gif when you need it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Final Fantasy 6 ruined how I see the word esper.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It's not a real esper if Magitek isn't involved
E:f;b

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Final Fantasy 6 ruined how I see the word esper.

For added hilarity, the espers in FF6 are called genjuu ("phantom beasts" or "cryptids") in the Japanese original. Why did that become "espers" in the English translation? No clue.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I don't think the term ever comes up in English 999 so I wonder if that was a localization change back then?

What did they call them in 999? Was it just senders and receivers?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So looking at all that blood I suppose we can cross a few more people off the list of suspects for being a robot.

Actually, have we now seen everyone bleed except Quark (and Sigma) now? I dunno if the gaulems are realistic enough to have robo-blood so unless someone is faking here........

I can't remember, do we actually know one of the people is a gaulem?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The ending is pretty lame in how quickly it proceeds to Rocks Fall Everyone Dies, but for me it was the second ending I got after Dio, and it was late at night, so I still didn't really have the best of ideas what was going on and it was 1 in the morning. Didn't sleep at all. I think I ended up playing something like Lego City at 4 in the morning just so I could fill my mind with goofy Lego people instead of everyone dead in a bloody suicide pile. :shepicide:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Fedule posted:

Fact is, the reason we look a bit like skeletons is because we are a bit like skeletons.
There's this special artificial biological tissue what's called "ABT".
When a GAULEM's all new and shiny, they've got on a nice suit of ABT over that metal skeleton.

Even feels like real skin, with pores, a little bit of hair, and a few pimples, scars, and the like.

See, right in the middle of--

[Music fades out]

Product ID GTM-CM-G-OLM.
Executing emergency deactivation.

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 12, 2015

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
RIP cockney robot, you were still the best.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

For added hilarity, the espers in FF6 are called genjuu ("phantom beasts" or "cryptids") in the Japanese original. Why did that become "espers" in the English translation? No clue.

Because it's a short word.

That's the main reason for a lot of wonky translations from that era when memory capacity and the maximum character amounts in menus etc. were concerns.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Sure, but why "esper" specifically? I mean it's better than FF8's "G. F.", but it's not exactly a winner either.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Because Woolsey liked it v:v:v

Who knows what that man is thinking.

Naerylan
Feb 17, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Fedule posted:

See, right in the middle of--

[Music fades out]

While we're hovering about the subject of differing Japanese translations, let's take a look at this one.
Our GOLM buddy, at this point in the Japanese dialogue clip, says "Chuu ka, jissai ni..." -- followed of course by BZZZT wrong answer. (I had to re-listen to a LONG update to catch that. But it was worth it because GOLM is so fun to hear)
It translates to something like "Oh and speaking of which, as a matter of fact..." in Kansai dialect.

Which, when paired with the context he just stated, is essentially a dead giveaway that the rest of the sentence would have ended along the lines of "As a matter of fact $SOMEONE is just like me!"
But the translation sounds so weird because the localizer had to match this exchange with the one just after, wherein our heroes ponder the line and shrug it off because they wind up thinking it's a reference to the Chinese Room story again.

This is because in the original chuuka is both Kansai for to iu ka and ALSO a word that literally means Chinese. Don't you just love those homophones?
So it looks like the localization guy had to stretch the concept a bit to find a way to still imply the $SOMEONE = GAULEM theory but also hook the Chinese Room into it.

Seems they went with "middle of" --> "Middle Kingdom". Which strangely enough is almost exactly what Japan's word for China means anyway.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I love explorations of nonliteral translations and how the different cultures affect puns and references, and the fact that your post explaining the translation is an examination of a story that directly explains the Chinese Room is just an extra layer of :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yes! Time for EVERYTHING TO GO HORRIBLY FOR EVERYONE!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

45% of 129 respondents expressed a desire to do over our allegiance with Quark, on the off chance that it will lead to a final outcome other than everyone getting Radical-6 and dying abruptly.

It's worth a shot.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

You didn't see me push the button?

No...

Huh.
Well, you'll know in a moment.
What you want to do after that is up to you.
You can come with me if you want, or you can stay here.
Your choice.

That's as good as saying you chose "betray"...

Heh...

I grinned, and headed toward the display.

Please direct your attention to the results screen.

I expected quantum-Betrayal, but this works, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Incidentally,

Naerylan posted:

While we're hovering about the subject of differing Japanese translations, let's take a look at this one.

Our GOLM buddy, at this point in the Japanese dialogue clip, says "Chuu ka, jissai ni..." -- followed of course by BZZZT wrong answer. (I had to re-listen to a LONG update to catch that. But it was worth it because GOLM is so fun to hear)
It translates to something like "Oh and speaking of which, as a matter of fact..." in Kansai dialect.

Which, when paired with the context he just stated, is essentially a dead giveaway that the rest of the sentence would have ended along the lines of "As a matter of fact $SOMEONE is just like me!"
But the translation sounds so weird because the localizer had to match this exchange with the one just after, wherein our heroes ponder the line and shrug it off because they wind up thinking it's a reference to the Chinese Room story again.

This is because in the original chuuka is both Kansai for to iu ka and ALSO a word that literally means Chinese. Don't you just love those homophones?
So it looks like the localization guy had to stretch the concept a bit to find a way to still imply the $SOMEONE = GAULEM theory but also hook the Chinese Room into it.

Seems they went with "middle of" --> "Middle Kingdom". Which strangely enough is almost exactly what Japan's word for China means anyway.

Stuff like this is never not fascinating.

• Locked thread