Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Hurlin Merlin posted:

I'm afraid of the weird looks I might get on the bus.

You should probably use a different wallpaper then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Hurlin Merlin posted:

I'm afraid of the weird looks I might get on the bus.

Hey, at least you're getting looks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hurlin Merlin posted:

I just made the switch to Android on Saturday, and spent way too much time last night playing with my setup. This is where I ended up with some advice from a friend.

I feel like it could use a giant "PHONE" in the middle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I won't be impressed until someone makes a truly minimal phone that is nothing but a black screen and things are accessed by arcane gestures and tapping in the right spot. The rest of you are just minimalism poseurs.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

vyst posted:

Unless you have a Google play edition you can't modify the lock screen really

That makes me a little sad. Oh well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I won't be impressed until someone makes a truly minimal phone that is nothing but a black screen and things are accessed by arcane gestures and tapping in the right spot. The rest of you are just minimalism poseurs.

The true minimalist just has a digitizer on top of a satin-finished aluminum plate (brushed aluminum is so 2010). Who needs a screen cluttering everything up?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aranan posted:

Okay, so I want to start making my S5 look pretty but I'm not really sure where to start. I snagged Minima Live Wallpaper and that's helped a bit, but I'm looking to try and modify my lockscreen and maybe try out a launcher (is Nova the go-to for a first time tinkerer?)

Widget Locker is made by the same guys as Nova and does an OK job of replacing Samsung lock screens. Not completely seamless but better than nothing.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Aranan posted:

That makes me a little sad. Oh well.

Don't worry, you can. There's tons of lockscreen replacements on the Play Store, it's just a matter of finding the ones that aren't horrible.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

KillHour posted:

The true minimalist just has a digitizer on top of a satin-finished aluminum plate (brushed aluminum is so 2010). Who needs a screen cluttering everything up?

This... is stupidly intriguing. You could easily get a two week battery life with no screen, and voice controls have gotten better in the last five years.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I would love to carry around a featureless metal slab that has smartphone functionality.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

If you ditched the screen, you could probably fit a smartphone into an earbud form factor.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mango sentinel posted:

I would love to carry around a featureless metal slab that has smartphone functionality.

What smartphone features do you like?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reverse Centaur posted:

What smartphone features do you like?
It's obviously an absurd thing, but web browsing, and easy text communication are the only features I'd really miss.

Between gestures and voice you could make a fascinating gimmick device that can still do phone calls, play music/podcasts, do turn by turn navigation, and some really clunky voice only text correspondence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This... is stupidly intriguing. You could easily get a two week battery life with no screen, and voice controls have gotten better in the last five years.

Get a smartphone, never turn the screen on, and run it all off your pebble. The new one has a microphone.

I'd be intrigued by the idea of an ePaper smartphone, actually. I mean you'd get barely any power use over your no screen idea with much better usability. Or maybe something with those new Sharp Memory LCDs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 29, 2015

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Here you go, here's the phone you're looking for:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Scudworth posted:

Here you go, here's the phone you're looking for:

If you're gonna make the obvious 'just get a dumbphone' joke at least link a Nokia.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Get a smartphone, never turn the screen on, and run it all off your pebble. The new one has a microphone.

I'd be intrigued by the idea of an ePaper smartphone, actually. I mean you'd get barely any power use over your no screen idea with much better usability. Or maybe something with those new Sharp Memory LCDs.

Honestly there's a market for something like this and it's olds who are scared of smartphones but could really benefit from some of the features. There is a way to make one in such a way that it could work but there simply isn't a company interested or capable of doing it right. It's a really intriguing mental exercise thinking about it though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Damnit, what did I do?

Edit: It's a smartphone for the blind. :haw:

Double Edit: Ah crap, I figured it out. Future HMDs (i.e: Google Glass) are going to communicate with a featureless slab with a digitizer via bluetooth that houses all the processing power. Most stuff would work fine via gestures and Swype could be modified for the format pretty easily. Who needs a screen on your phone if it's strapped to your face?

Someone distract my boss while I run down to the patent office....

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 29, 2015

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wouldn't e-ink not work at all for a smartphone? If I understand it correctly it uses next to 0 power to display a static image, but a lot of power to change the pixels. Perfect for a book, but horrible for web browsing or anything with lots of screen changes and animations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well there's already these things

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Because I love turning my phone into a gimmick for a few days, and because this was surprisingly easy to do

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

WeX Majors posted:

Because I love turning my phone into a gimmick for a few days, and because this was surprisingly easy to do

Did I do this right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You know how we were just talking about screenless phones? Turns out those will be a lot easier to make after I/O.

If I had to guess, this is probably to put a good framework in place for third party apps for Android Auto primarily, but it would make possible Star Trek TNG-era communicator devices operable entirely by voice which is essentially what a screenless phone would be.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

KillHour posted:

Did I do this right?

Depends what your definition of "right" is

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It isn't right to be honest, it's left, his left wrist :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are there any nice looking flashlight widgets? I just want a toggle for the LED flash on my homescreen. The default widget that (I think?) comes with lollipop is exactly what I want, it's just kind of ugly.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
The one I'm using is the widget that comes with Nova Launcher, and it's a simple black circle with a light icon when off, and an android green when on.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That's not bad. Is there a way to get it to turn on/off with Nova gestures? It'd be pretty nice if I could double tap or whatever to toggle the light.

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
Would anyone have the white minimal "get out" frog that people use for the awful app? I got my S6 the other day but I seem to have misplaced the icon to have everything matching again.

edit: Sort of forgot to add my picture. I need something else to do with the screen but I don't know what else to do. I like to keep it pretty simple though.

Using nova launcher, with one home screen and 3 slides on the hotbar with the most used icons, Whicons for the icons I found on the play store.

Teaches of Peaches fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 16, 2015

influx.
Dec 16, 2007

Nice pants!
I did a thing with my S6 also.

All icons are swipe up for folder, even dock.

KLWP for bg.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I asked on the Android thread but I suppose it'd be a better fit here:

What icon packs do you guys use?

I'm trying Elun and Zolo, but neither is perfect.

Elun makes unrecognized apps tiny as gently caress and Zolo barely has any apps.

Any suggestions?
If anyone knows a round icon pack that fills the circle with stock icon instead of making it tiny, that would be cool

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Inacio posted:

I asked on the Android thread but I suppose it'd be a better fit here:

What icon packs do you guys use?

I'm trying Elun and Zolo, but neither is perfect.

Elun makes unrecognized apps tiny as gently caress and Zolo barely has any apps.

Any suggestions?
If anyone knows a round icon pack that fills the circle with stock icon instead of making it tiny, that would be cool

I like Flatro. It supports a crazy number of apps (including Awful), and does exactly what you say with unsupported apps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Inacio posted:

Cryten does that - as long as the stock icon isn't too small, if it is you can see it sitting on a white circle. And there's not that many unrecognised for me.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 30, 2015

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Up until yesterday, I did not own a smartphone and only recently emerged bewildered and afraid from my cave dwelling. Not sure what I should be doing to spruce this up, because I have zero loving visual aesthetic.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Up until yesterday, I did not own a smartphone and only recently emerged bewildered and afraid from my cave dwelling. Not sure what I should be doing to spruce this up, because I have zero loving visual aesthetic.

It's fine and you should leave it as it is.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

It's fine and you should leave it as it is.

Then that is precisely what I will do. Thanks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Then that is precisely what I will do. Thanks!

No problem. No sense in making it look like overwrought bullshit.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Seems to be the general sentiment nowaays. Multitasking, notifications, folders, and a good lock screen has nullified all desire for me to run a custom launcher, rom, or, really, anything.

This should become the wallpaper thread.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Is this minimal enough yet? Am I minimal enough to be cool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
No. You need the MIN theme from the Play Store and then your audio controls need to be smaller. This is required to be cool.

• Locked thread