Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

yeah, i'll just eat a chunk of flesh instead of a frozen pizza full of vegetables and dairy, and designed by flavor scientists specifically to give me my full $5 of titillation. yeah, i'll do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

for most of my life i thought that me grilling was just a baseline thing, like i nominally know how to take hunks of meat and place them over a flame until they are safe to consume and reasonably tasty, sure, thats a skill of some kind

when i became an adult i found out that this ability is some kind of arcane knowledge that people are completely baffled by, and people ask me to grill things for them and like sure no problem but it still doesnt feel like a skill to me, it feels like roasting meat until its tasty is kind of a thing humans should have down in 2015, considering we invented it like over 10 thousand years ago

Microwave generation bro.

Its a drat shame.

Kids these days.

:colbert:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

you use this emote all the time and it seems defensive. we all make declarative statements here, it's fine.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Next up, master your crock pot skills. Put some chicken breasts in it with a jar of salsa, then let it cook for the day while you're at work.

Don't forget to post results in Goons With Spoons' "what did you cook today?" Thread.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.
its most bizarre when im cooking for a bunch of people and then my dad shows up to the party and hes like "poo poo son you are fuckin this up big time, sausages should be at 134 degrees not 140, and these steaks need to have been turned to make gridmarks you noob, why the gently caress isnt your onion cut right" while everyone else thinks im a goddamn iron chef because i can heat up a piece of meat until the parasites are dead

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

for most of my life i thought that me grilling was just a baseline thing, like i nominally know how to take hunks of meat and place them over a flame until they are safe to consume and reasonably tasty, sure, thats a skill of some kind, kind of on par with being able to do your own dishes or wash your own clothes

when i became an adult i found out that this ability is some kind of arcane knowledge that people are completely baffled by, and people ask me to grill things for them and like sure no problem but it still doesnt feel like a skill to me, it feels like roasting meat until its tasty is kind of a thing humans should have down in 2015, considering we invented it like over 10 thousand years ago

Had a person ask me if I used a microwave to make Mac-N-Cheese. SMH

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Crock pot, stainless steel pans, stainless tongs, two good knives, and an IR thermometer have totally changed how I cook.

Its like im in a lab now. Its super cool.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

someone older than me asked me how long to microwave mashed potatoes to get them right ugh its basically

psyopmonkey posted:

Microwave generation bro.

Its a drat shame.

Kids these days.

:colbert:

except psyop meant it ironically to make fun of me but in my opinion it is a literal fact

e: but its not a generation its just everyone. humans are lazy fucks

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

VendaGoat posted:

Dont talk to that person.

Thats a bad person.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

someone older than me asked me how long to microwave mashed potatoes to get them right ugh its basically

except psyop meant it ironically to make fun of me but in my opinion it is a literal fact

:thejoke:

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

psyopmonkey posted:

I want a blow torch.

:smith:

They cost like $25 at home depot. That's not an insurmountable cost barrier.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

yeah exactly

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

:cripes:

Oh good god.

I don't make mashed potatoes because I don't have one of those kitchen made mixer jobs. Those friggen make some creamy potatoes.

Instead I make baked Sweet Potatoes or Yams with butter and cinnamon. Never had a complaint.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Hobohemian posted:

They cost like $25 at home depot. That's not an insurmountable cost barrier.

I know, but ive been buying lab glass lately.

Petri dishes, test tubes, graham condensers, and all sorts of magical crap.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

VendaGoat posted:

:cripes:

Oh good god.

I don't make mashed potatoes because I don't have one of those kitchen made mixer jobs. Those friggen make some creamy potatoes.

Instead I make baked Sweet Potatoes or Yams with butter and cinnamon. Never had a complaint.

You dont know about ricers?

poo poo son, get with it.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

psyopmonkey posted:

look psyop i dont like you particularly much for plenty of reasons but i will give you some advice, i have not known a single person who started buying lab glass who didnt end up in trouble

sometimes it was trouble with the law, sometimes it was trouble with missing limbs, sometimes it was trouble with foreign drug cartels but its always trouble

its in double digits now

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

psyopmonkey posted:

you're loving unbearable

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

psyopmonkey posted:

You dont know about ricers?

poo poo son, get with it.

I cook for myself. When I've had a girl, they can either follow directions (at best) or make reservations (at worst).

It's just me here, I keep it simple, to my tastes and delicious.

Whipped potatoes, meh. Give me a spud dressed right, along side a rare steak, with a good pinot noir and I'm a happy guy.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

I cook for myself. When I've had a girl, they can either follow directions (at best) or make reservations (at worst).

It's just me here, I keep it simply, to my tastes and delicious.

Whipped potatoes, meh. Give me a spud dressed right, along side a rare steak, with a good pinot noir and I'm a happy guy.

you're an idiot rear end in a top hat

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

making creamy potatoes is a matter of getting the milk/potato/butter ratio right after boiling but not over boiling the potatoes it's super fuckin' easy, the pain in the rear end part is there's so many loving steps to prepping mashed potatoes. Hand peeling and hand cutting potatoes for 2, 3, 4 people and making extra for the assholes who pile it on their plate. you will spend more effort getting that poo poo ready than you will on the entire rest of the meal.

So never make your own. buy instant potatoes and be done with it.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

lol u dont have a girlfriend or wife

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

VendaGoat posted:

Thats cool, but I was talking about mashed potatoes.

And, Ive found that the best mashed potatoes come out of a ricer.

Ricers are cool and good.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

hemophilia posted:

making creamy potatoes is a matter of getting the milk/potato/butter ratio right it's super fuckin' easy, the pain in the rear end part is there's so many loving steps to prepping mashed potatoes. Hand peeling and hand cutting potatoes for 2, 3, 4 people and making extra for the assholes who pile it on their plate. you will spend more effort getting that poo poo ready than you will on the entire rest of the meal.

oh my god wtf peeling potatoes that you use for mashing

is this a loving joke

i will ruin your holes in a violent and sexual manner

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

hemophilia posted:

making creamy potatoes is a matter of getting the milk/potato/butter ratio right after boiling but not over boiling the potatoes it's super fuckin' easy, the pain in the rear end part is there's so many loving steps to prepping mashed potatoes. Hand peeling and hand cutting potatoes for 2, 3, 4 people and making extra for the assholes who pile it on their plate. you will spend more effort getting that poo poo ready than you will on the entire rest of the meal.

Dis guy gets it.

lol u dont have a girlfriend or wife

Gonna take a page from the Psy here.

Ruuuuuuuude.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

hemophilia posted:

making creamy potatoes is a matter of getting the milk/potato/butter ratio right it's super fuckin' easy, the pain in the rear end part is there's so many loving steps to prepping mashed potatoes. Hand peeling and hand cutting potatoes for 2, 3, 4 people and making extra for the assholes who pile it on their plate. you will spend more effort getting that poo poo ready than you will on the entire rest of the meal.

You must peel potatoes slow as gently caress because it takes almost no effort to dice potatoes into cubes and boil them.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Dis guy gets it.

Gonna take a page from the Psy here.

Ruuuuuuuude.

sorry man im not trying to be mean i just find it funny that you cant find a life partner is all, you gotta admit its pretty hilarious!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

hemophilia posted:

lol youre a dumb rear end in a top hat, instant potatoes are awful

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Hobohemian posted:

You must peel potatoes slow as gently caress because it takes almost no effort to dice potatoes into cubes and boil them.

I cut mine into thin slices before I boil them.

It cuts cooking time down.

gently caress peeling potatoes, what is this kindergarten?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

psyopmonkey posted:

And, Ive found that the best mashed potatoes come out of a ricer.

are you loving stupid

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
you loving mongoloids the skin is good for you what the loving poo poo

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

SmokaDustbowl posted:

are you loving stupid

Uh no, im correct and smart.

Darf
Jun 6, 2011

You have quite a treasure there...
I raid my neighbors potato field in the night and eat them spuds raw. I carry butter packets in my pockets for extra flavor

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

sorry man im not trying to be mean i just find it funny that you cant find a life partner is all, you gotta admit its pretty hilarious!

Yup. I suck.

I drat well know how to cook a loving steak though.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Darf posted:

I raid my neighbors potato field in the night and eat them spuds raw. I carry butter packets in my pockets for extra flavor

POTATO THIEF!!!!11!!!

Oh wow...

:nws:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c5f_1309711220
:nws:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

loving Micks

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

psyopmonkey posted:

Uh no, im correct and smart.

lucky the only thing that's gunna eat your food are your cats

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
World star.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Yup. I suck.

I drat well know how to cook a loving steak though.

well congrats you are where i was in life when i was 12 years old

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

well congrats you are where i was in life when i was 12 years old

How is it being 14 years old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

VendaGoat posted: