Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hector Beerlioz posted:

A first I thought that was cool, then I realized there is a person in that house so obsessed with Star Trek that it made me upset.

Nah. Kid goes off to college, leaves his old startrek "toys" behind. Pinterest mom repurposes them into a fun cat toy. Won't he be surprised when he comes home for summer break!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pulaski was bad because she was a jerk to everybody.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm the guy that warmed up to Pulaski, then was sad she left, but mostly was ok with it. She was good, it just took a while because she wasn't as hot as Crusher, and I was 10.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Pulaski was a p. good bones. But really, she can't be as good as the original bones so why try so hard? They tried to rekindle the Bones Spock dynamic with her and Data, but she just came off as constantly berating an autistic child.

Also, the guy who is watching DS9 the first time, sadly Klingon Chef only has like one more really tiny bit part. However, in a few seasons you will meet the most klingoniest klingon who ever klingoned, and it will be amazing.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

However, in a few seasons you will meet the most klingoniest klingon who ever klingoned, and it will be amazing.

Which one? They're all like that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Your ignorance makes my wounds ache

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4IkGUcxe8

you can pulp a story, but you cannot destroy an idea! dont you understand, thats ancient knowledge. you cannot destroy an idea! that future, I created it, and its real! dont you understand? it is real! I created it and its real!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

TEAYCHES posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4IkGUcxe8

you can pulp a story, but you cannot destroy an idea! dont you understand, thats ancient knowledge. you cannot destroy an idea! that future, I created it, and its real! dont you understand? it is real! I created it and its real!
Counterpoint.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

However, in a few seasons you will meet the most klingoniest klingon who ever klingoned, and it will be amazing.

But Daaaaaaaaaad...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Entropic posted:

Either they're actually retards sequestered in a holodeck, or Section 31 suppresses everything and is drugging the water to make people dumb and compliant.

What do you mean? Voyager came back and Section 31 was like

Free Holodeck

For everyone

Forever

Instant compliant populace.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

happyhippy posted:

But Daaaaaaaaaad...

they should have killed off alex instead of worfs brother

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Fetus Tree posted:

they should have killed off alex instead of worfs brother

Worf would have barely cared, a la Kirk.

Kirk's conversation with Sarek at the end of The Search for Spock was like a goonpost parody of itself.

"But at what cost? Your ship, your son!"
Kirk: *smirks* "Whatev'."

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
the only part i really like from that movie is when they steal the enterprise

the music for that is also really good

also that smug captain guy is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9Ukm9LaWg

Fetus Tree fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 24, 2015

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Fetus Tree posted:

the only part i really like from that movie is when they steal the enterprise

the music for that is also really good

also that smug captain guy is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k9Ukm9LaWg

I always had a soft spot for part 3. For whatever reason that was the only star trek I owned on tape and would watch it all the time. Them stealing it really was the best part, but it made 10 year old me wonder why they needed all those people on board when the main cast could run the whole ship. Also, why didn't they take Uhura?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Orange Sunshine posted:

The lawyer.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
ISNT IT POSSIBLE>?!?!?!?!?!?!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I always had a soft spot for part 3. For whatever reason that was the only star trek I owned on tape and would watch it all the time. Them stealing it really was the best part, but it made 10 year old me wonder why they needed all those people on board when the main cast could run the whole ship. Also, why didn't they take Uhura?

They let all their calls go to the space answering machine

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Scotty automated the ship but as soon as they got into battle the automation poo poo all overloaded and blew out and they were helpless

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

How to steal a shuttle:

step one go to the shuttle bay

step two steal a shuttle

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I Returned To My Djarra And All I Got Was The Job Of Making This Lousy T-Shirt

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
Watching the voyager episode where they create the cardassian holo doctor and the all like "thaT will be impossible!" And Harry Kim is all like "I can do it! Computer: create hologram with the knowledge and personality of this guy" and it's done.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Huge Lady Pleaser posted:

Watching the voyager episode where they create the cardassian holo doctor and the all like "thaT will be impossible!" And Harry Kim is all like "I can do it! Computer: create hologram with the knowledge and personality of this guy" and it's done.

Star Trek's computers are idiot gods capable of literally anything.
All it would take would be for someone to say "Computer! Create a being capable of destroying the universe!" and it would all be over.

And yet they're still impressed by Data for some reason.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Didn't the hologram doctor turned out to be cardassian Mengela and then they were going to let somebody die because it would have been unethical to use the info? What a dumb episode.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Didn't the hologram doctor turned out to be cardassian Mengela and then they were going to let somebody die because it would have been unethical to use the info? What a dumb episode.

TNG and Voyager had the dumbest pseudo-"moral dilemma" episodes. Janeway and Picard are always all "Hmmmm, do we let this planet full of billions of sapient beings get obliterated, or do we break some arbitrary starfleet regulation? Gosh this is quite the pickle of a moral quandary for sure."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Contrast that with the time they got text letters from back home and so they replicated about 140 separate data-pads and walked them around the ship so that creepy alien could read them.

"Computer, invent a convenient messaging protocol for instant communication that does not rely on the spoken word."

"Insufficient parameters."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Section 31 did nothing wrong.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm amazed the Starfleet research teams don't have a division that just sits in a holodeck and comes up with clever phrasing to trick the computer into doing things beyond anyone's wildest imaginations.

Like bargaining with a genie but hundreds of years into the future. "Computer - create an opponent that can outwit Data defeat the Borg."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, there was that episode where Broccoli got super smart and had the computer build a bunch of crazy tech in the holodeck.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

"Computer take the safety protocols off the holodeck and have that not trigger an urgent notice to the command personnel on duty that someone has removed the safety protocols from the holodeck.."

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That episode actually rules

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
My favorite holodeck uses are simulations of unknown, experimental physics. "Golly we've discovered a previously-unknown form of matter, I wonder how it will interact with our shields. Let's run a simulation on the holodeck."

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

GrumpyDoctor posted:

My favorite holodeck uses are simulations of unknown, experimental physics. "Golly I've recreated Troi and Crusher, I'm curious how it interacts with my dillz. Let's run a simulation on the holodeck."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

GrumpyDoctor posted:

My favorite holodeck uses are simulations of unknown, experimental physics. "Golly we've discovered a previously-unknown form of matter, I'm curious how it interacts with my dillz. Let's run a simulation on the holodeck."

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is it rape to holoscan people and then later gently caress their virtual selves

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moridin920 posted:

holograms cant consent

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

If you turned the safeties off, could they get pregnant?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

UnwiseTrout posted:

If you turned the safeties off, could they get pregnant?

most people that gently caress holograms probably manually beam their sperm out of their nuts every day anyway

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fetus Tree posted:

holograms cant consent

They can't not consent!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The 24th Century thrill (and leading cause of ensign death) is sticking your dick into the warp core on the holodeck and turning down the safety protocols bit by bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

there was a ds9 ep about this

• Locked thread