Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ehh, I don't think that the other heroin guy actor's chops were up to this episode. And I sort of hoped we'd never actually meet Holmes' father, like, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So are we supposed to take away that after all that, after learning that Alberto was safe, and after learning that the whole thing was a setup to try and get Sherlock to start using again... he THEN fell off the wagon? He let the bad guy just win like that?

Honestly, we don't even know if Oscar even lived through that. Whatever happened to him, winning is not how I'd describe it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pick posted:

Ehh, I don't think that the other heroin guy actor's chops were up to this episode. And I sort of hoped we'd never actually meet Holmes' father, like, ever.

We could easily not. Next season could start post visit.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man what a somber note to end the season on :smith:

I figured they'd have Sherlock relapse eventually, but it really says something that they had him do it after he had already "won". It's like he said in his speech that SpiderHyphenMan quoted on the last page: it came as a total anti-climax rather than some kind of grand, dramatic moment. I think it took a lot of guts by the writing staff to make that moment so quick and not dwell on it for half of the episode. It just happened, and then life moved on. Really curious for what they have planned for next season. If this was any other procedural you'd figure that Sherlock would be all better and back to helping the NYPD like 2 episodes into the season, but I figure the writers wouldn't cheapen this moment like that and have some kind of arc for Sherlock for at least the first half of next season.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Oh no Sherlock :ohdear: And I was so enjoying the Bell and Alfredo bromances. The golden age is over... for now.

Is it safe to say that he killed Oscar? Those kicks were all aimed around the guy's head, and there wasn't a close-up afterwards.

Oh one more thing: Natalie Dormer (Irene/Moriarty) said in an interview with Seth Meyers a while ago that she did some shooting for Elementary this season. Was that merely the voiceover earlier this season then?

bubblelubble fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 15, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Poignant and dour. Holmes. Hooolmes! :smith:

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Pick posted:

So, who are they going to cast... for a second I was thinking Roy Dotrice but he's too old (and retired?). Some people have been suggesting Charles Dance, that would work. Plus his Game of Thrones schedule is clear now, which we still can't say about Natalie Dormer. I kept expecting a little more of Moriarty this season, even without her on screen. That finale gave a mention but was overall very "sober" for the final act of the season.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

That last shot of the episode was like a punch in the gut. :( Great work communicating his relapse with just a quick visual.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jorghnassen posted:

So, who are they going to cast... for a second I was thinking Roy Dotrice but he's too old (and retired?). Some people have been suggesting Charles Dance, that would work. Plus his Game of Thrones schedule is clear now, which we still can't say about Natalie Dormer. I kept expecting a little more of Moriarty this season, even without her on screen. That finale gave a mention but was overall very "sober" for the final act of the season.

Charles Dance would be fantastic, hes almost always great. Maybe Timothy Dalton? He could be good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Brian Blessed

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MrFlibble posted:

Charles Dance would be fantastic, hes almost always great. Maybe Timothy Dalton? He could be good.

Oh yeah, Timothy Dalton. He was great as the Hot Fuzz grocery store owner and the voice of the fairy lord in Tinkerbell: Secret of the Wings.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Azhais posted:

Brian Blessed

gently caress, thats it. No one can top this. Pack it in people, we have the best right here.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MrFlibble posted:

gently caress, thats it. No one can top this. Pack it in people, we have the best right here.

The world's not allowed to be this good, pure.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
As long as they don't cast JLM's father

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Azhais posted:

Brian Blessed

I had that very thought when I woke this morning.

Also, it is strongly implied that Sherlock is using again.

What if he isn't and he is that state due to the fact he actually killed his old pusher (by repeatedly stamping on the guy's head)? He murdered someone.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 16, 2015

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

spookygonk posted:

I had that very thought when I woke this morning.

Also, it is strongly implied that Sherlock is using again.

What if he isn't and he is that state due to the fact he actually killed his old pusher (by repeatedly stamping on the guy's head)? He murdered someone.

If he did, he'd be under arrest and doing hard time.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It would also be the kind of super cheap misdirect that I'd like to think this show is above doing. Addiction, and more specifically the battle against relapsing, has been the major focus of Sherlock's character. Him finally losing after years of keeping it at bay is something that they've obviously wanted to do for a while now, as :smith: as it is.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Jorghnassen posted:

If he did, he'd be under arrest and doing hard time.

There's almost no way that guy survived having his head kicked hard into train tracks something like 10 times (I didn't count them during the show, but it was a lot.) At the very least, his face is massively screwed up and he maybe has brain damage, which is also a crime. I could see Gregson overlooking this incident because Sherlock is so important to the police and no one is probably even going to bother closely investigating a drug addict's death.

I'm not 100% convinced he relapsed, yet. You'd think Watson, a doctor and ex-addiction companion would recognize signs of heroin use fairly quickly, and wouldn't just be checking up on him as he sits on the roof, high, if that was the case. At least, I don't think it really fits her character to do that.

Also, remember Sherlock kept that bag of drugs hidden in a book for a long time. I could see him hiding that box he took and not using it, yet.

He had a lot of traumatic crap go on that would lead him to be depressed and introverted without necessarily relapsing. I mean his friend was kidnapped and almost killed just for being close to him, his ex-dealer lead him on a wild goose chase just to try and get him to relapse, he spent a bunch of time in a heroin den, and he murdered or almost murdered a guy. I'd want to sit quietly, alone for awhile if all that happened to me, too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He probably wasn't high at that precise moment, just depressed at his failure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

He was high

from murdering the junkie shithead :twisted:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, my read was that he did Heroin in the tunnel and came clean to Joan about it. He was a wreck because of his failure, not because he was still high.

And his father is visiting because he knows about the relapse. Maybe cutting Sherlock off from the money?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
It was definitely a relapse, per Rob Doherty himself.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Annakie posted:

So many terrible comments in that article about the nature of addiction. I hope they never have to deal with that in their lifetime cause holy poo poo that stuff is ignorant despite the fact people claim "I've been watching since episode 1". Did you not remember the various speeches Sherlock and others gave where addiction is not something that can be fixed and you're cured forever, but something to be managed for the rest of your life? Internet comments, yes, but still, the nerve of some people.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
If his father comes back in response to the relapse, could this possibly also be the (ill-advised) return of Mycroft?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Annakie posted:

I stand corrected. I still think Oscar is probably dead, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

violetdragon posted:

I stand corrected. I still think Oscar is probably dead, though.

The damage resulting from injuries in fiction often is less than what would happen in real life. I do not think Oscar is dead because they would make a Much Bigger Deal about Sherlock committing a homicide on an unarmed man, even a man who had severely provoked him.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The longer the series goes, the more a relapse was inevitable. The season as a whole came together pretty nicely in the context of the series. He dodged bullets being around Rhys in Season 1, Allister dying, and Watson leaving him in Season 2. We saw him burn his stash of heroin in the final Kitty episode flashback. Season 3 was all about building up his life with meaningful relationships. His relationship with Kitty propped him up, Watson moved back in, he started opening up even more to Watson, as well as Bell and Alfredo, likely giving him more real friends than he's had at any point in his life. When he ditched Alfredo as a sponsor in favor of having him as a friend, it seemed heart-warming because it looked like a big step forward, but now we see that in his personal gains, Sherlock had forgotten the struggle of addiction. What felt like a series of victories, was actually him letting his guard down and he got caught in the end.

Depressing as gently caress, but very well put together. My faith in the writers was rewarded with this finale. As has been the case every season, there is much to look forward to next time. Lots of new angles to explore and another major character to introduce. I can't wait til October or whenever it starts up again.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The damage resulting from injuries in fiction often is less than what would happen in real life. I do not think Oscar is dead because they would make a Much Bigger Deal about Sherlock committing a homicide on an unarmed man, even a man who had severely provoked him.

Yeah but they did specifically mention that Oscar's body was in horrible shape and that rough treatment could very well end up killing him.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Blind Pineapple posted:

The longer the series goes, the more a relapse was inevitable. The season as a whole came together pretty nicely in the context of the series. He dodged bullets being around Rhys in Season 1, Allister dying, and Watson leaving him in Season 2. We saw him burn his stash of heroin in the final Kitty episode flashback. Season 3 was all about building up his life with meaningful relationships. His relationship with Kitty propped him up, Watson moved back in, he started opening up even more to Watson, as well as Bell and Alfredo, likely giving him more real friends than he's had at any point in his life. When he ditched Alfredo as a sponsor in favor of having him as a friend, it seemed heart-warming because it looked like a big step forward, but now we see that in his personal gains, Sherlock had forgotten the struggle of addiction. What felt like a series of victories, was actually him letting his guard down and he got caught in the end.

Depressing as gently caress, but very well put together. My faith in the writers was rewarded with this finale. As has been the case every season, there is much to look forward to next time. Lots of new angles to explore and another major character to introduce. I can't wait til October or whenever it starts up again.

We've seen signs of him slipping a bit, and while dropping Alfredo as a sponsor was a nice touch, when you're starting to realize you want to use again, that is not the time to go without a sponsor. It's amazing that he held on long enough to make sure that the people he cared about were okay before using, though.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with it next season. He has a much stronger support network to help him through this, depending on how drastic of measures his father goes through. He could really throw a wrench in things if he takes him back to Britain. Watson could help him back on the road to recovery, but will she be able to do that at the same time as working on cases? Will the police be able to continue to use him as a consultant even when/iff he gets clean again? Could really be a completely different show next season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

John Noble joins the show as series regular playing Sherlocks father

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/john-noble-joins-elementary-as-799902

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Holy poo poo that's so good :allears:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'm so excited about this development. It's going to be amazing.

Neep
Jan 2, 2003

Terrorist is Prohibited!!!

GreenNight posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/john-noble-joins-elementary-as-799902

Oh wow. I thought I'd be "meh" about everything but this is a good development. Though I still want much more moriarty.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Wow. I never even considered that as a possibility, but I'm sure it'll be great. Curious to see what he does with the character, it'll be very different than the stuff I know him from (Fringe, Sleepy Hollow).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

richardfun posted:

Wow. I never even considered that as a possibility, but I'm sure it'll be great. Curious to see what he does with the character, it'll be very different than the stuff I know him from (Fringe, Sleepy Hollow).

He'll be the character he played in Lord of the Rings.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

GreenNight posted:

He'll be the character he played in Lord of the Rings.

Right, I forgot that one.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I kind of picture him as just being Walternate in this, although it would be a nice twist if he's actually playing a super kind, shy old grandpa and Sherlock's descriptions of how horrible he is have been completely overblown this whole time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

GreenNight posted:

Finally he can just use a British accent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Oh my god oh my god oh my goddddd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

:vince: :allears:

Come faster next season!

• Locked thread