Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

NowonSA posted:

Yeah I'm digging the slime adventures as well. The naming power ups make sense even if they don't explain it further, though I expect we'll find out more soon. He was helpless at the beginning, the Dragon teaches him some basics and helps him out, and then once he's named he suddenly is devouring dragons and shooting water blasts and such.

I hope that his Dragon pal gets spit out eventually, it'd be a bummer if he's just slowly being eaten. I expected him to be spat out as soon as Slimey got out of the cave.

I think the idea is that he ate the seal with the dragon still in it, effectively eating them both together. That I don't think he's shown off any distinctly dragony powers means he hasn't actually absorbed the dragon, so he's probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Dungeon Meshi is great, and I want to be able to read more.

Same, I looking forward to more as well!

I liked the Mushroom guy. He was cute.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Slime posted:

I think the idea is that he ate the seal with the dragon still in it, effectively eating them both together. That I don't think he's shown off any distinctly dragony powers means he hasn't actually absorbed the dragon, so he's probably fine.

Well, he can't really "release" the dragon until he's powerful enough. Else it'd toss all suspense in the series out by having a super powerful granddaddy fix all his problems.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

FriggenJ posted:

Well, he can't really "release" the dragon until he's powerful enough. Else it'd toss all suspense in the series out by having a super powerful granddaddy fix all his problems.

Yeah the idea in Universe is that the "Great Sage" Skill is analyzing the barrier and will spit the Dragon out when it has found a way to break it. Which means it will happen when the Story demands the Dragon is needed again. Chekhov's Dragon if you will.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-Gamer/Ch--092---Chapter-092?id=237137

Chapter yo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And it goes down immediately. I shouldn't have expected anything else.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wow he didn't even inspect the hammer.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

And it goes down immediately. I shouldn't have expected anything else.

It's a level one boss character. It had high charisma and no minions to support it. Of course it went down fast.

quote:

Wow he didn't even inspect the hammer.

I was really hoping that he'd start moralizing at the very end, getting depressed about his future and then saying, "Oh yeah, I forgot about my loot" and then get all excited and ruin the moment.

Also I did some conversion.67211200 Won to USD is $57223.62. He's not a millionaire by any stretch of the imagination, but he could probably sell those potions and make a fortune off his skill.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 30, 2015

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

So, I was going to be on a plane, and remembering the recommendations of this thread, I did a Google search for "slime tensei," found not a manga (as I expected) but some light novels translations (which also seemed reasonable), and loaded them up to later read on the flight.

Did you know that there's two light novels about a thirty-something businessman who dies and is reincarnated as a slime?

At first I was merely bitterly disappointed in goon taste, but about the time the main character ate a goblin and picked up the ability "cross-species breeding" I figured out this probably wasn't what you were all raving about.

Anyway, don't make my mistake. You want "Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken," not "Slime Tensei Monogatari."

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Adelheid posted:

So, I was going to be on a plane, and remembering the recommendations of this thread, I did a Google search for "slime tensei," found not a manga (as I expected) but some light novels translations (which also seemed reasonable), and loaded them up to later read on the flight.

Did you know that there's two light novels about a thirty-something businessman who dies and is reincarnated as a slime?

At first I was merely bitterly disappointed in goon taste, but about the time the main character ate a goblin and picked up the ability "cross-species breeding" I figured out this probably wasn't what you were all raving about.

Anyway, don't make my mistake. You want "Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken," not "Slime Tensei Monogatari."

Wait, what? Isn't the manga the..mangafied version of the light novel?

If so, oh dear.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Artificer posted:

Wait, what? Isn't the manga the..mangafied version of the light novel?

If so, oh dear.

No, there are literally two different series with the gimmick, the longer named one is the one that doesn't seem to be creepy.

I made the same mistake once :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SerSpook posted:

No, there are literally two different series with the gimmick, the longer named one is the one that doesn't seem to be creepy.

I made the same mistake once :(

Oh. Oh good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm glad he's training his golem-making skill. Having a magic-resistant tank will come in handy.

also that page posted above is real weird.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

From the Slime Tensei manga I did enjoy the little detail of how despite the fact he was completely vulnerable the Goblins had the decency and moral integrity to not backstab him. Really shows how grateful they are to him and sets in stone the idea of being good gets good back.

Back to the gamer I can't get this idea that the golems just arm slapped the kobold to death.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Also I did some conversion.67211200 Won to USD is $57223.62. He's not a millionaire by any stretch of the imagination, but he could probably sell those potions and make a fortune off his skill.

Jee-Han's been independently wealthy ever since he picked up his first batch of healing potions. They're each worth around ten thousand USD if not more and he has tons of them in his inventory (well, 28 now that I've actually read the chapter), with the ability to create a dungeon with low-level enemies and farm more anytime. I think when he last went shopping he spent around $200k USD on random stuff as well, if not more.

I'm really hoping he figure out how to exploit his abilities and the market for maximum income soon, I figure enchanting/crafting will play a big part in that. Some of the most fun I have in MMO's is racking up vast sums of in-game currency through crafting, gathering, and knowing the market.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

NowonSA posted:

Jee-Han's been independently wealthy ever since he picked up his first batch of healing potions. They're each worth around ten thousand USD if not more and he has tons of them in his inventory (well, 28 now that I've actually read the chapter), with the ability to create a dungeon with low-level enemies and farm more anytime. I think when he last went shopping he spent around $200k USD on random stuff as well, if not more.

I'm really hoping he figure out how to exploit his abilities and the market for maximum income soon, I figure enchanting/crafting will play a big part in that. Some of the most fun I have in MMO's is racking up vast sums of in-game currency through crafting, gathering, and knowing the market.

Yes they're worth a lot, but when people figure out that he's selling a shitload of potions they'll target him either because he's cutting into their margins or because they want to exploit him.

He's better off with cash.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Yes they're worth a lot, but when people figure out that he's selling a shitload of potions they'll target him either because he's cutting into their margins or because they want to exploit him.

He's better off with cash.

In a perfect world, he'd make tons of money just taking people on dungeon raids. It could be an exciting theme park ride-type thing or a "safe" way to quantitatively improve one's skills.

Also, where's the cash coming from? Is he just duping a bunch of notes or something? Surely the government will catch wind of him eventually, and in a way the consequences of that could be even worse.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Evil Thing posted:

In a perfect world, he'd make tons of money just taking people on dungeon raids. It could be an exciting theme park ride-type thing or a "safe" way to quantitatively improve one's skills.

Also, where's the cash coming from? Is he just duping a bunch of notes or something? Surely the government will catch wind of him eventually, and in a way the consequences of that could be even worse.

They might notice some duped notes being passed around eventually, but if he can just put all the evidence in his inventory what exactly can they do to him? They won't find any duped money beyond what he's already spent, no counterfeiting equipment or anything.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The money he finds is more than likely made "real" by the earth, since the earth changes reality itself to assist his power provided the translation is right. That's why his ability is considered so powerful- because the earth itself bends the rules of reality to make it work, not because he can cast magic missile or summon stuff.

If you notice most people in the abyss who talk to him for more than a minute find his progression/powers to be reasonably impressive but not that shocking, but instead are really weirded out by how the earth bends reality for him even down to changing the basic fundamentals everyone in the abyss knows about (illusion barriers, etc).

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Since he's creating tons of money out of nowhere isn't he killing the Korean currency?

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
It was in a earlier chapter that his friend hooked him up with a Abyss money laundering group to get his money "legal."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Iretep posted:

Since he's creating tons of money out of nowhere isn't he killing the Korean currency?
Unless he's literally cranking out hundreds of millions in USD, nah.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Iretep posted:

Yeah, if the conversion rate posted earlier in this thread was right, he's only sitting on like $57,000. That's a lot to make a in a short period of time like that, but it's still just the annual income of like... a single modestly middle-class individual.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He's also just spending big amounts on the magic market, so that money probably doesn't go into the regular economy. As long as he doesn't start trading on the stock market, it's all good.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

nimby posted:

He's also just spending big amounts on the magic market, so that money probably doesn't go into the regular economy. As long as he doesn't start trading on the stock market, it's all good.

That there even exists a money laundering service for people from the Abyss to get legal tender implies to me that they spend their money in the regular economy. Hell, using the same currency rather than their own weird wizard money means they're part of the regular economy by itself. Jee-Han was ordering books on magic being sold by people from the Abyss online, using Korean money.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, it seems like he can put his money into an abyss account, where he can then use it on the online abyss store/auctions or in his daily life without raising red flags. Almost all Abyss members have an account like that. Most of Jee-Han's money so far has been from the monsters he's killed literally dropping money and from him giving items to friends for them to sell and pay him the proceeds. As far as mass potion selling, I'm sure his friend's clan could help him out there too, each of them selling a handful of potions shouldn't raise too many red flags, or they may have contacts to set up a bigger sale network. Like Breaking Bad taught me, you don't want one guy or location slinging all your product, you want 100 guys who don't even really know who you are, or who you know won't sell you out.

Jee-Han's getting rich quick for sure, but he's definitely going to spend almost all of it on Abyss stuff anyway so it's not going to last. His sudden earnings also play a big part in why he's unsure of what he'll do after high school or what career he'll go into, it's hard to want to go to work when you're making $10k a day on average during your wild gamer adventures without even really trying.

The last villain was literally a giant corporation that used money to bring people back to life as well, so Abyss money is 100% factoring in to the Korean economy to a certain degree, though my guess is it's a very small public impact. I'd imagine Evil Corp. was skirting the edge of what Gaia allows, since Jee-Han and other Abyss members can't be too public with their abilities or use those abilities to get great fame and fortune outside of the Abyss.

Lastly, hey remember that one skill book his friend's clan had that took a really high int (80+) to learn? Someone needs to remind Jee-Han about that!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
With all the shady poo poo that goes on, the Abyss should really look into using cryptocurrency instead of SKW.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DrSunshine posted:

With all the shady poo poo that goes on, the Abyss should really look into using cryptocurrency instead of SKW.

The best part is that they don't need to! Any non-abyss people who figure out what's going on are subject to memory alteration from wizards. Nobody in the general public would believe the rumors- the Illusion Barriers ensure that none of them see or recall weird incidents.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

DrSunshine posted:

What would bitcoins look like when they appear as drops? Gold coins affixed with Ayn Rand's face?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fabricated posted:

What would bitcoins look like when they appear as drops? Gold coins affixed with Ayn Rand's face?

Just an enormously thick book full of numbers in a sequence, that blasts out like 32 tons of CO2 when you open it for the first time.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
GnomeCoins

Someone photoshop her face outline on a coin tia

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

NowonSA posted:

He needs to take advantage of his stupid high healing and mana regen. If he can figure out how to bottle and sell that he'll be set for life.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, theoretically the cash drops would only become a problem if it produced way more currency than there are goods being added to the market. If what Jee-han is doing was even noticeable then USD would have become worthless decades ago from all the counterfeiters.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you want to talk in economic terms, I'm pretty sure the Abyss has negligible (traceable) overlap with the rest of the world anyway so :v:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Avulsion posted:

He needs to take advantage of his stupid high healing and mana regen. If he can figure out how to bottle and sell that he'll be set for life.

I could see him taking the gun for hire route like Loli-Nuna, that's got to be profitable as hell. He could take on missions (I'm sure he'd call them "quests") on his own terms as well, so it's more "protect my daughter" than "go kill or kidnap this person." He'd almost certainly be in a kill or be killed environment though, so if it even does happen it won't until he's got his first kill under his belt, which I think is coming within the next year or two. It's also worth noting that Jee-Han must have really impressed Loli-Nuna, 500 hours of time from a witch who can summon hell demons and drain the life out of armies has to be pricey.

Hopefully now that he's out of the dungeon we'll his harem again, he's still owed a date from red-hair and I want to see how the formerly demon-souled girl is doing now that that's seemingly fixed, or at a minimum greatly reduced. Of course, I want him to clear like every floor of that DLC dungeon too, but maybe spread that out over awhile.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Shugojin posted:

If you want to talk in economic terms, I'm pretty sure the Abyss has negligible (traceable) overlap with the rest of the world anyway so :v:

More data is needed. :reject:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Jee-Han doesn't need to be the richest or strongest person in the world. He just needs to become strong enough to not get kidnapped and stripped for (magic) parts. For money, he won't always need more spellbooks either. Once Jee-Han gets all the books he needs he can just grind dungeons and sell magic item drops. It has no overhead, takes miniscule amounts of time and eventually Gnome can do all the work for him. Actually, since his most unique ability is making special illusion barriers, doing so for money would be a pretty nice source of income.

Of course, this all assumes that Jee-Han stays out of trouble which obviously is not gonna happen. Despite how desperately some of you seem to want it, this will not be the story of Jee-Han making spreadsheets to maximize his earning potential.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I do in fact want that very desperately.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If his powers come from Gaia, the earth itself, does the DLC dungeon take place on the moon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

It seems that the purpose of laundering the money isn't to make it legal. The money is legal tender and spendable. The problem is that seventeen year old boys don't get tons of money dropped out of them unless their parents are rich and/or connected. He can buy all of the magic potions, spell books, artifacts and apparently super illegal contraband he wants off Abyss. If he tries to buy a house then that's a problem. Laundering isn't magical. It's just making it look like you have a legitimate source for the money, usually through a business.

I assume that eventually money is going to be just another boring thing he'll pay attention to somedays and then look away as he absorbs yet another spell book that someone would take year to commit to heart. Money, food, shelter and maybe even sleep will probably be things he no longer really needs to worry about.