Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I've got at least 2 intakes, and a couple carbs (one of them is a 3bbl!) For a 350 sbc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I think I have a little mabuchi RC motor around here somewhere. Possible swap for the civic?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Ive got a tired old Ford Flathead, easy installation. Only takes one wire to run.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
You see tons of mustangs with a Chevy 350. What about a Ford 5.0 camaro? The camar5.0?

Or a rotary :black101:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Diesel.

Gotta go diesel, with a smoke chip and a big stack sticking out of the hatch. Bonus points for a big eagle gripping a six-pack of Bud Light painted on the hood.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'll donate an AMC 2.5L four.

It will even bolt to the stock bellhousing. :getin:

It's been sitting in the corner of my yard since 2011 or so, came out of a 1990 Comanche, and will probably rot into the ground sometime, much like this Camaro if 14 doesn't rescue it.

e: I have the ECU for the stock TBI fuel management system somewhere around here, not sure where.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'll donate a borg warner turbo off a 90s GMC turbo diesel.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'll donate a dually rear end from 1954.

e: you pay shipping

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'll donate a dually rear end from 1954.

e: you pay shipping

Yes!

Dually diesel 3rd get with a smoke tune and a bitchin' hood airbrushing.
It's be like a rolling mullet.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fart Pipe posted:

On that note I currently own the 86 2.8/5 speed camaro that my dad bought new. DONT JUDGE MY ENGINE. No t-tops though :(

Could be worse. GM actually put an Iron Duke in the early ones. Blew my mind when I went to help a friend of a friend with their Firebird, and there was a FOUR CYLINDER in there.

Black88GTA posted:

Not sure if this car is auto or 5-speed, but 350 was automatic only, because the :siren:WORLD CLASS-T5:siren: couldn't handle the pavement-wrinkling torque of an '80s 350. Also, the 350 cars develop a crack in the metal right at the upper corners of the door windows because the wet noodly chassis flexes and twists like a motherfucker unless you add subframe connectors to it. This may not be an issue with the T-Top cars - they just leak instead.

That said, mine has a 383 and weld-in SFCs :agesilaus:

FWIW, second-gens do this too.

Tommychu posted:

It's loving bizarre, but one of the toughest SBC swaps is into a car that had the SBC as a factory option.
I did this swap in... 2007? So it's not exactly fresh in my mind. FI 2.8 to Gbody carb SBC, slushboxes all around. From what I recall:
That torque arm thing that ties the diff to the transmission is the main issue. The transmission is a primary rear end locating member on these stupid cars (because sweet burnouts).
You need the transmission out of a V8 F-car, because the existing transmission has the FWD bell pattern but you still need somewhere for the big stupid arm to bolt up. You can swap the tailshaft/slip yoke housing onto a non-F transmission under some circumstances, but poo poo gets weird elsewhere if you do.
Motor mount clamshells will bolt right up, the bosses are pre-drilled on the subframe for all 3 engines. But the engine side of the mount is F-specific, and if you try to use anything else the engine sits about 2.5" too high meaning the big stupid arm won't bolt up and your trans dipstick has nowhere to exist. Latter doesn't apply to manuals but the former is still a pretty big deal.
FI-Carb means you have to pull the sender and gently caress around. No access hole, and the lines run very close to the body on these so making one is extremely risky. But the fuel tank sits on top of the rear axle, so you get to drop that completely (and all those arms are usually bolt-snappin' seized) and then getting it back in again is an exercise in gently caress JUST KILL ME NOW.
I had to run all new fuel line, the mechanical fuel pump needs a bigger line since it sucks across the length of the car rather than pushing from the tank side as in an efi car.
And just hundreds of frustrating little things that took between hours and weeks to hunt down. And cost-wise, well let's just say that had I started with a V8 car and spent the same amount of money (even factoring in that my v6 camaro was also free, and a v8 car wouldn't have been free) it would have been a low 13 second car.

Sounds like you did it the hard way. There are aftermarket torque arms and mounts that don't require the correct transmission, and I would have just replaced the EFI fuel pump in the tank with a low-pressure one. The pumps don't vary in size all that much, and the one for a TBI early third-gen should be low enough pressure for a regulator to handle it.
Of course, I'd go EFI myself, because tuning carbs sucks.

Slow is Fast posted:

I really like the hopped up 3.4 option since it seems you have to gently caress with less systems to do that? Motor in motor out?

IIRC, some of the last 3rd gens came with a Buick 3800. LAst RWD application of that motor.

e: f,b on the Iron Duke, and I do not recall correctly. It was the 4th gens that had the 3800. Still, a 3800 Series II supercharged would be neat! Or get really weird: EFI, twin turbo, flathead Ford.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I'll donate some glitter/crystal beads for stylish tyre balancing

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

nm posted:

Yes!

Dually diesel 3rd get with a smoke tune and a bitchin' hood airbrushing.
It's be like a rolling mullet.

Tack on a camper shell for the "shooting brake" look and paint that bitch metallic brown and it'll be the AI unicorn you've all been bitching for.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The most 14 inchesque engine swap is pretty obvious.

The 2.3L inline four Chevy Vega engine. It features an all aluminum block backed up by a cast iron cylinder head. It's design is pure genius.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Or get really weird: EFI, twin turbo, flathead Ford.

At a car show I saw a hand-made hotrod with a rear-engined, EFI (LS1 ecu/coils), supercharged, A/C intercooled, flathead Ford.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

The most 14 inchesque engine swap is pretty obvious.

The 2.3L inline four Chevy Vega engine. It features an all aluminum block backed up by a cast iron cylinder head. It's design is pure genius.

The only engine that ever made my granddad swear. (Actual true story)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

At a car show I saw a hand-made hotrod with a rear-engined, EFI (LS1 ecu/coils), supercharged, A/C intercooled, flathead Ford.

Neat!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Point blank sent her a message that said look I am not complaining about a free car, but it's been almost 3 weeks he's had it sitting now. Can we please just go pick it up.

No answer.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
This is going to end with a Camaro on fire and a domestic that escalates into a SWAT team standoff

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

8ender posted:

This is going to end with a Camaro on fire and a domestic that escalates into a SWAT team standoff

14 inch is going to end off in a mexican standoff with the police and the guy holding the camaro by the end of this :ohdear:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

1500quidporsche posted:

14 inch is going to end off in a mexican standoff with the police and the guy holding the camaro by the end of this :ohdear:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress, if my laptop hadn't had a minor accident I'd be photoshopping the camaro into the background off to the side.

Hey Mr. DICK,
Is that the trick of your disguise
Hey Mr. DICK,
Is that the cause of your demise
Hey where you at
On the side of the freeway in the car
Hey where you at
In the car,
In the car
On the side of the free way in the....

https://youtu.be/4uUruXmq_Kc

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
E:god drat it

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
There must be a solution to this problem. A "box of live spiders from ebay" based solution.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

:f5: c'mon, c'mon.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I'm cominggggggg

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Peg leg burnout incoming!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I performed an ocular pat down to establish the risk, and I feel confident my sweet moves will be able to prevent it from getting away. I have have the perfect duster to wear while driving it too.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's going to turn out that the Camaro is actually the property of a Bandidos enforcer on the last leg of a ten year sentence in Walla Walla. His name is "Spider."

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's going to turn out that the Camaro is actually the property of a Banditos enforcer on the last leg of a ten year sentence in Walla Walla. His name is "Spider."
:psyduck:

That would be a sorta surprising turn of events.

What's next?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wrar posted:

:psyduck:

That would be a sorta surprising turn of events.

What's next?

Well, I don't have all the details yet but apparently between Wednesday night and now, the lancer has not been returned, her phone was stolen, the camaro was recovered, and she needs to pick up her gun from the Burien police department.

So she might need the camaro for a couple more days.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Well, I don't have all the details yet but apparently between Wednesday night and now, the lancer has not been returned, her phone was stolen, the camaro was recovered, and she needs to pick up her gun from the Burien police department.

So she might need the camaro for a couple more days.

This is truly the Ballad of 14 Inch....

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
We need to get a kickstarter going and hire some 70's female country star to sing it. Something like "Thats the night when the lights went out in georgia" but with more spiders and owl pellet smoking.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MattD1zzl3 posted:

We need to get a kickstarter going and hire some 70's female country star to sing it. Something like "Thats the night when the lights went out in georgia" but with more spiders and owl pellet smoking.

There is only one real option:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I cant tell if that's a chevelle or an el camino :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Um, where?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I cant tell if that's a chevelle or an el camino :(

El Camino. It's Archer's ride:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

T1g4h posted:

Hoover. It's Archer's ride:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
oh what nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yesss! Can you feel your hair growing into a mullet every time you fire it up?

• Locked thread