Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I'm going to start with Kashuno, because ljtrigirl was interested.

Kashuno posted:

What seems strange to me is the backpedaling is immediate, within the same minute. If the backpedaling had been over a longer time, it would make sense to have been a possible reconsideration. Instead, it appears there was a change of heart but the two posts so close timing-wise makes it feel like it was a conscious effort to garner some light town cred.

Have you never said something, then immediately realized it was stupid, or just something you shouldn't have said? I do that all the time (probably more than most people...)

Not to mention there's no town cred to gain in this community for being "less aggressive". ljtrigirl said she read a game (multiple games?) on our forums, so she should be aware of that. It's a null tell at best.

Kashuno posted:

As much as I hate the shitposting Keane is doing, I think Rarity's case is decent and EXAKT brought up a good point earlier about manufactured sincerity.

##unvote

##vote ljtrigirl

presented here for continuity.

Kashuno posted:

Why do I always get people thinking I'm scum d1 I suck at being town.

That said, I like the defense that LJ is putting up. It's not overtly hostile, but aggressive enough that I feel it might be coming from a town angle. ##unvote

This amuses me, considering that first quoted post, and further shows my point about SA aggression.

Kashuno posted:

It's d1, any content is good content. That second sentence is some weird thing to post without a vote.

This is missing the point, either deliberately or on purpose. Every post give us something, technically, but some posts are worth more than others. Nearly contentless "I like this" posts are not worth much. They should be called out when found. A town player would then elaborate why they liked it, or how it fit into their view of the game. A scum player would either ignore the pressure, or elaborate and give us connections or a scum slip.

tl;dr Votes are not the only way to apply pressure to another player, and content-light posts are deserving of pressure

[quote="Kashuno" post="449165395"
TMM had been called out by diqnol to make some d1 setup spec after that was already a topic of discussion, TMM had already mentioned he did huge setup spec before. Nothing in the post Rarity made seems to hint at it being a lynchable offense unless:

[insert subquote here]

Somehow implies that? Pretty weak argument IMO.

[/quote]

This I agree with, that was a weak arguement.

Then Kashuno mostly disappears.

I don't have a strong scum read on Kashuno, but I do plan to continue watching his play closely. He isn't my top vote, but I would vote to lynch him if things swung that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Mithross posted:

I don't have a strong scum read on Kashuno, but I do plan to continue watching his play closely. He isn't my top vote, but I would vote to lynch him if things swung that way.

Please don't misunderstand this. By don't have a strong scum read, I mean exactly that. I do have a solid suspicion of him. I wasn't trying to waffle, I was trying (poorly) to explain exactly where my thought process was at.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

QPQ isn't getting a full quote case (it's almost 3am guys, I want to sleep. I promised myself I'd get at least a couple reads down before sleep though)

QPQ's early vote and showing his work I don't care for. The TMM case was fairly scanty to have ridden it since you "just started reading the thread". Especially since as the day moves on you focus on his posts less and less, and starting calling out and pressuring other people. Is TMM still your top scum choice? If not, who is now, and why aren't you voting them? If so, who is your second choice? You cased Samfu pretty strongly there.

That said, I like that Samfu case, and see it as coming from a town place. I like QPQ for town. Still answer those questions though, I am interested.

I'm going to sleep now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hi sorry I've been gone from this game for the last day or so! There was a ton of content and I didn't wanna Phone post through it all. When I get into my office today I'll go through everything I missed and offer some hopefully decent cases

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Meinberg seems like a fine vote

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay so I've just read over the last 11 pages and rather than make a gigantic huge post with my opinions on people, I'll give some bullet points of where I'm at.

LJ is most likely town. They're pretty seriously scumhunting and don't really look in the mood for bullshit. I like it.
Diqnol & Merk looks to be a really over the top town slapfight. Leaning town on both
Samfu is still worrying me. These two posts in particular:

Samfucius posted:

Yeah, keep stickin' it to the mafia man.

Why are you posting like a petulant teenager all of a sudden?

Samfucius posted:

Holy poop.

##unvote

##vote diqnol

Diqnol just generally seems like an rear end in a top hat. I didn't really read his attitude as getting much worse as time went on.

Lumpen is giving me bad ~vibes~
TMM seems pretty town here.
The cases on gamer are strong and making me re-read him I really hate that TMM vote and justifying by saying "I just wanted to see him post more." It's weird.

those are my reads. I'm going to stick with my vote being where it is right now, but I'd be willing to flip to gamer to avoid a no-lynch. I don't know if I would go to Diqnol.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Kashuno posted:

Okay so I've just read over the last 11 pages and rather than make a gigantic huge post with my opinions on people, I'll give some bullet points of where I'm at.

LJ is most likely town. They're pretty seriously scumhunting and don't really look in the mood for bullshit. I like it.
Diqnol & Merk looks to be a really over the top town slapfight. Leaning town on both
Samfu is still worrying me. These two posts in particular:

Diqnol just generally seems like an rear end in a top hat. I didn't really read his attitude as getting much worse as time went on.

Lumpen is giving me bad ~vibes~
TMM seems pretty town here.
The cases on gamer are strong and making me re-read him I really hate that TMM vote and justifying by saying "I just wanted to see him post more." It's weird.

those are my reads. I'm going to stick with my vote being where it is right now, but I'd be willing to flip to gamer to avoid a no-lynch. I don't know if I would go to Diqnol.

Fa LA fiddly Dee a vote for gamer is alright with me!
Fee foo diddly boo a vote for TMMadman would be alright too!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CCKeane posted:

Fa LA fiddly Dee a vote for gamer is alright with me!
Fee foo diddly boo a vote for TMMadman would be alright too!

Can you sing me a song of Samfu

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Rarity posted:

PMom claims VT at the start of every game, it's his meta. Keane fakeclaims loads on D1 of games so it's not something I'm really taking seriously. Hal's claim stood out cause it's not something I'd expect from him.

Ah. That's good to know.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!
Is Mitross usually concerned with his (her?) appearance?

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I really don't like Kash's TL;DR. It felt like basically just summing up the last several pages and agreeing with the major mindsets. And him calling Merk/diq both town kind of feels like he knows that's the case.

Also, I don't like it when people call me town with that much certainty early on. I feel like you can't be that sure about me yet. You have no idea how good I am or am not at this game.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Can you sing me a song of Samfu

There once was a man named Samfu
Wouldn't say Jack about Poo
He was called scum
In cases to come
I guess his vote would be co'?

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Giving the heads up now that my vote will be nightfalled several hours before lynch because I've got plans tonight and will have limited phone access. If no one else still has interest in PM, I will try to cast a more relevant vote.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ljtrigirl posted:

I really don't like Kash's TL;DR. It felt like basically just summing up the last several pages and agreeing with the major mindsets. And him calling Merk/diq both town kind of feels like he knows that's the case.

Also, I don't like it when people call me town with that much certainty early on. I feel like you can't be that sure about me yet. You have no idea how good I am or am not at this game.

I mean I can really go through 11 pages and quote every instance of things that change my opinions.

Also if I was agreeing with major mindsets why would I not vote Diqnol? d1 town slapfights aren't unheard of around here, and that's how it feels to me.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I mean I can really go through 11 pages and quote every instance of things that change my opinions.

Also if I was agreeing with major mindsets why would I not vote Diqnol? d1 town slapfights aren't unheard of around here, and that's how it feels to me.

I agree that Diqnol/Merk is a town slapfight.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Wait. We have to have a certain number of votes to lynch? It's not just the LL at lynch?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

Deadlines are the most effective and easiest way to encourage participation. To that effect, every game day will have a deadline. If majority voting has not been reached by then, the day will end with no hanging.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Days around here can end in no-lynch

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

That sucks balls.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ljtrigirl posted:

That sucks balls.

Why? No lynched still rarely happen here.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

TMMadman posted:

Why? No lynched still rarely happen here.

I guess the only majority rules games that I've played take forever to get a majority, but if it's standard here, maybe not.

I think it obscures a lot of the information you can get from voting patterns though.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

ljtrigirl posted:

Wait. We have to have a certain number of votes to lynch? It's not just the LL at lynch?
This seems genuine to me and makes ljtrigirl likely Town. If she were Scum this info would likely have been obvious from Scumdoc chat and I don't think she would stick her neck out with a fake-ignorance gambit.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
But... lj, did the games you previously read on this forum have plurality lynches or majority lynches? Did you never see a deadline scramble? What games did you look at before playing this one?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm going to be away from civilization and all associated electronics until Sunday afternoon. I still feel the most comfortable with my vote right now, but good luck everyone!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:d: Note that Friday is technically a weekend, and weekend deadlines suck noodles. I am around though and in my judgment I can push it back to Sunday if it looks like nobody is around. This is something I said I'd do when I started the day just reminding you.

Future days are very unlikely to end on weekends.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Lumpen posted:

But... lj, did the games you previously read on this forum have plurality lynches or majority lynches? Did you never see a deadline scramble? What games did you look at before playing this one?

I've only read some of merk's posts in isolation from one game. So, no? It does explain the voting/unvoting on one guy a bunch though.

And all the game I've played have the lynch lead at dusk biting it (either by Longest Held Last Vote or RNG all ties). I played one Majority Rules game where we lynched immediately when there was a majority, but there weren't also deadlines. I think D1 took us 2 weeks. It was awful.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
"Let's pressure someone into action using the only tool at my disposal; a vote."

"what town would never use a vote to for pressure"

"loving stares"

ps diqnol is scum so if you could just do that it'd be great

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Gamerofthegame posted:

"Let's pressure someone into action using the only tool at my disposal; a vote."

"what town would never use a vote to for pressure"

"loving stares"

ps diqnol is scum so if you could just do that it'd be great

Do you think you would be pushing for him as much if you were not the next LL? If we instalynched someone with 0 votes right now, who would you want it to be?

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

ljtrigirl posted:

I've only read some of merk's posts in isolation from one game. So, no? It does explain the voting/unvoting on one guy a bunch though.

And all the game I've played have the lynch lead at dusk biting it (either by Longest Held Last Vote or RNG all ties). I played one Majority Rules game where we lynched immediately when there was a majority, but there weren't also deadlines. I think D1 took us 2 weeks. It was awful.
Our system is superior in most respects. The problem with Plurality Lynch is that it allows Scum to usually get a Townie lynched while staying uninvolved and lurking, which is highly advantageous to them.

With Majority Lynch, the day will end at a predictable time, and No-Lynch is a looming threat. As a community we all understand that No-Lynch is tantamount to a free Scum kill, and we generally go to great lengths to avoid it. This usually results in a crazy flurry of posting, wrangling, and struggle in the last few hours before each deadline. This usually generates a ton of useful data to analyze for alignment signals. It also forces people to get votes on the record and be active and participating, because blowing a deadline or causing a No-Lynch through inaction is (correctly) recognized as Very Very Scummy.

The downside, I suppose, is that it tends to push a ton of the game's activity to cluster right up to the final deadline hours, but in my experience Plurality just makes games comparatively limp and lifeless, and gives Scum the ability to amplify the effectiveness of their votes by making each count for more in cases where people are lynched with less than a majority.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Recent posting has me feeling additionally Town on Mithross and additionally Scum on Gamerofthegame.

I will try to get a LumpenList in before deadline so my reads can be beneficial on D2 if I am dead.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ljtrigirl posted:

Do you think you would be pushing for him as much if you were not the next LL? If we instalynched someone with 0 votes right now, who would you want it to be?

I was pushing him before hand so ?

And I dunno what kind of weird rear end question is that

color me frustrated for this being a reoccurring thing

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Gamerofthegame posted:

I was pushing him before hand so ?

And I dunno what kind of weird rear end question is that

color me frustrated for this being a reoccurring thing
Answer the question.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Gamers confidence on his Diq vote two posts ago feels fake.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

:d: Note that Friday is technically a weekend, and weekend deadlines suck noodles. I am around though and in my judgment I can push it back to Sunday if it looks like nobody is around. This is something I said I'd do when I started the day just reminding you.

Future days are very unlikely to end on weekends.

If you push the deadline back I won't complain at all. Still have 26 * 40 posts to read.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I forgot how unenjoyable it is to actually read joke posts for 10 pages straight. Can I get a good of idea of about when the game actually starts?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Page 10, actually

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

##unvote ##vote merk

Why unvote if it's a joke, why care if he presses you on a meaningless joke vote, why wouldn't you try to use your vote in a meaningful way when he started to interact with you over it and FINALLY why are you being personable in a game of mafia? I know the answer, friends, I do.

Before I saw this I had in my notes:
- merk making joke abou TMMadman setup spec and not even rolling one post with it feels overcautious, like he realizes this one is going to make him look bad if he pursues it.

So if there is some kind of merk vs Diqnol fight to expect later, I think the first blow Diqnol landed here was pretty good.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

merk posted:

I think Diq is scum. That case doesn't sound believable. I was leaning towards him puffing up nothing because of pride, but his response to my question didn't win me over.

##unvote; ##vote diqnol

I'm on Page 22 and definitely going faster than I was on earlier pages. The end is so near! Anyway to save you guys some suspense,

##vote merk
for voting Diqnol and thinking he's scum solely because "he voted me and I didn't like it" while doing piss all else today.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wow that was a lot of posts. I skimmed through the last few pages so yeah, hope there wasn't anything too important there. Eventually I stopped taking notes but here are some f my Hot Takes from reading the thread.

Obviously coming out swinging against merk here. Pretty much everything I saw him do in this thread was scummy. I would like to think I'm pretty good at spotting him out too. Here are a few that I remembered to write down, sorry for the spelling errors.

- merk making joke about TMMadman setup spec and not even rolling one post with it feels overcautious, like he realizes this one is going to make him look bad if he pursues it.
- More awkward jokes from merk that functionally amount to making excuses for not having to post about the thread, while also maintaining an appearance in the thread.
- Bad bandwagon vote on a bad Sam case.
- BottleKnight vote reeks. Scumhunting without putting mustard behind it still looks better than emptyposting to look like you're engaged.
- "Helpful" posting from merk. Thanks merk. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734881&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post449153384

And of course so obviously OMGUSing Diqnol. This poo poo is scummy for a reason folks. It's scummy to find someone scummy solely because of the fact that they voted you. I don't even need to explain why, it's obvious why scum would instinctively want to discredit people expressing suspicion against them. Merk's only real argument against Diqnol is that his case seems disingenuous. But I came to most of the conclusions he did while reading the thread and I did it independently, so how disingenuous or "fluffed up" could it be? Merk doesn't really have anything else against Diqnol. Merk would not have ever voted Diqnol if Diqnol had not voted him first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Ninth Layer posted:

- Bad bandwagon vote on a bad Sam case.

:mad:

• Locked thread