Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

Really? That's exceptionally disappointing, the flavor text made me feel like it would recharge muuuch faster.

Yeah it is kind of a pain. At the end of the day cV is still king when it comes to charging stuff. Tainted cores are the best for sheer capacity, but if you're early in the progression or you only want to support a specific focus, an obsidian or reed staff makes an excellent base for an excavation or shock focus. The shock focus in particular is so cheap to use that a reed staff will never really run out of power, even if you never charge it and rely entirely on the passive regeneration of its aer vis up to 10%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

Minor question - does the xp rate on the 'main' tool part determine how fast that tool gains xp, or is it an average of all the parts?

It's the average of all parts. Do not put a blue slime rod on your tool, it will cause it to level like twice as slow. Celenegil is king for leveling so you should use that as much as possible.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The dawn machine really sucks. Even providing it with all aspects and RF it's slow, and it consumes far, far more essentia than the book claims. The book says 2 jars of each type will clean a whole area (128) but it uses 300+ of ordo, cognitio, and aer with each zone, making it way more expensive than it's worth. The only thing it's really valuable for if you have access to a number of totems and a purifying wand is cleaning nodes, which is a huge pain if that's your only goal.

Like everything in thaumcraft (yes I'm aware it's an addon), it's ultimately far too much of a pain in the rear end and far too expense too actually be worthwhile or fun.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Does the Thaumcraft chunkloaders constant power/aspects to function?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No, they are from ChickenChunks, just with Thaumcraft infusion recipes to make instead of normal crafting.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

an easy way to deal with tainted nodes is to punch them until they explode

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Taffer posted:

The only thing it's really valuable for if you have access to a number of totems and a purifying wand is cleaning nodes, which is a huge pain if that's your only goal.

This thing about cleaning tainted nodes has come up a few times. Is there a reason for cleaning a tainted node? I have an energized node now to recharge my wand, do I ever need to care about nodes in the wild any more? I figure I could just destroy tainted nodes as I come across them in areas I'm trying to clear.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Not really, since in many cases you're going to convert a big node into an energized one and tainted status gets lost while that's in effect. Bottle the big ones for later (and good compounds too, I guess), when you want a little taint sanctuary or for centivis use.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay so, in Blightfall you can just hold shift left click and drag the mouse around to move items very quickly. What I want to know is, what mod does this and why is it not in every modpack ever?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm not positive on that one specifically so someone confirm, but I believe all those shortcut controls come from Inventory Tweaks.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So I finally got a Thaumatorium set up, and actually managed to make some Thaumium and Alumentum, but even when melting down the same stack of items which of the 3 alembics is holding which aspect keeps changing so I have to keep running around and swapping the locations of all the warded jars so the essentia can actually fill the appropriate jar - I had to add valves if I was using empty jars too, since it would fill multiple jars with a single aspect. Is there some trick I can use so I don't have to constantly rotate the warded jars around?

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm not positive on that one specifically so someone confirm, but I believe all those shortcut controls come from Inventory Tweaks.

I haven't played Minecraft in like.. four or five years, so I had just assumed that shift-click item moving was a base minecraft change. drat, it would be incredibly annoying juggling all these items without that.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 3, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wolpertinger posted:

So I finally got a Thaumatorium set up, and actually managed to make some Thaumium and Alumentum, but even when melting down the same stack of items which of the 3 alembics is holding which aspect keeps changing so I have to keep running around and swapping the locations of all the warded jars so the essentia can actually fill the appropriate jar - I had to add valves if I was using empty jars too, since it would fill multiple jars with a single aspect. Is there some trick I can use so I don't have to constantly rotate the warded jars around?

An alchemy golem. Essentia tubes suck rear end and are only viable if you are dealing with one type of essentia at all.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

I always empty alembics with phials, myself.

E: Yeah the alchemy golem is the best option

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
Okay, so Project Mountain Base got abandoned because it was impossible to core out enough of the top level without blight everywhere. However, Project Volcano Base is running quite well and has the advantage of WALLS OF MOLTEN LAVA BEHIND GLASS.

I'm terrible with all of this engineering stuff, but I'm pretty good with aesthetics.

Anyways, now for more stupid questions from a stupid guy who has never dealt with Thaumcraft or Tinker's Construct before:

* What's a good crossbow to make? I've read about Slime bows with Many bolt and other stuff, but in the more resource-constrained Blightfall, what's a good suggestion? I'm thinking about just doing Steel/Steel because it seems easy enough to get.

* I've got my Automated Alchemy started up and have pulled apart some stuff for neat bottles of essence. I'm starting to edge towards making Ethereal blooms, and have a pretty good Netherwart farm setup and a good cow farm (but need to build a nuke plant to get power to build a ranch for the cow farm) - is there anything else I should be looking at setting up?

* I've got space for my Infusion Altar - anything I should know before I set it up?

Thanks again!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

I haven't played Minecraft in like.. four or five years, so I had just assumed that shift-click item moving was a base minecraft change. drat, it would be incredibly annoying juggling all these items without that.

Put a single Alembic on the arcane furnace. Attach partially-filled jars via pipes, one jar per output direction. Only melt down items with 4 aspects or less, since that's how many jars you can attach like that. If you melt something that has a new aspect, wait until the alembic has that aspect in it before putting down an empty jar.

Alternatively, put labels on the alembics. This is only really useful if you dedicate one alembic/furnace set up to one type of item.

An alchemy golem will make pipes redundant for the purpose of melting down items, but it can be a little slower sometimes, and of course you have to make sure the golem can reach all your jars.

Eschers Basement posted:

* What's a good crossbow to make? I've read about Slime bows with Many bolt and other stuff, but in the more resource-constrained Blightfall, what's a good suggestion? I'm thinking about just doing Steel/Steel because it seems easy enough to get.

* I've got my Automated Alchemy started up and have pulled apart some stuff for neat bottles of essence. I'm starting to edge towards making Ethereal blooms, and have a pretty good Netherwart farm setup and a good cow farm (but need to build a nuke plant to get power to build a ranch for the cow farm) - is there anything else I should be looking at setting up?

* I've got space for my Infusion Altar - anything I should know before I set it up?

Thanks again!

Make a crossbow out of wood to start with. The nether woods are better, but ghostwood has really low durability. The crossbow body can be thaumium to grant an extra slot, and the binding can be paper. The limb needs to be wood or something similarly flexible (signalum is the best). Iron tipped bolts are good, but I would recommend having a wooden shaft, at least until your bolt speed is high enough that bolt weight doesn't screw your accuracy over.

You don't really need a nuclear power plant for the rancher. If you have a decent number of cows it will fill even the biggest TE tank with milk for very little power.

Infusion altars need to be symmetrical, otherwise you get more instability. I personally put mine right above my jar room so I don't have to move jars to do infusions. Mana pylons are the best stability items.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 3, 2015

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Taffer posted:

The dawn machine really sucks. Even providing it with all aspects and RF it's slow, and it consumes far, far more essentia than the book claims. The book says 2 jars of each type will clean a whole area (128) but it uses 300+ of ordo, cognitio, and aer with each zone, making it way more expensive than it's worth. The only thing it's really valuable for if you have access to a number of totems and a purifying wand is cleaning nodes, which is a huge pain if that's your only goal.

Like everything in thaumcraft (yes I'm aware it's an addon), it's ultimately far too much of a pain in the rear end and far too expense too actually be worthwhile or fun.

Were you powering the dawn machine? Because it uses a lot more essentia if it doesn't receive RF than if it does. Even then, I generally use mine as... well, a node cleaner, and a chunk loader. Everything else it does is done just as well by blooms and totems, and they are much easier to make to boot.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your scheme for essentia generation and supply? I think a Quantum Network Bridge (or w/e the long range AE2 thing is) is the only way to remotely supply essentia, but you've definitely got the power generation to support it, and if you hook essentia export buses up on all of the essentia input ports of the machine, and have automated essentia production, then the consumption rate on the machine stops mattering much. Like it's definitely kind of :effort: but you're most of the way there, I think, and the last jump shouldn't be too bad, assuming the Offerings of Dawn bring along AE2 blocks (which they really, really should if they don't already).

Zebrin posted:

Were you powering the dawn machine? Because it uses a lot more essentia if it doesn't receive RF than if it does. Even then, I generally use mine as... well, a node cleaner, and a chunk loader. Everything else it does is done just as well by blooms and totems, and they are much easier to make to boot.

:agreed:

I'm just running a fleet of Dawn Totems with a couple machines I build and tear down on the spot as needed for node cleaning. I want to do the big project to automate everything a dawn machine needs and remotely supply it eventually, but it takes endgame tech from Thaumcraft, Botania, AE2, and TE to make it happen so it's a ton of work.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Zebrin posted:

Yep. I think I'm going to limit its use to places where there are tall trees, because shitloads of flux shows up from the crusted tain if you just use other taint cleaning methods, and the dawn machine hoovers it up nicely. Everywhere else seems like a waste of essentia though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

An alchemy golem. Essentia tubes suck rear end and are only viable if you are dealing with one type of essentia at all.

How wrong you are. The trick is to use restricted tubes and buffers. Yeah it sucks that pipes are purposedly obtuse but with a little effort they work really well when you're doing mass production or automation.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

How wrong you are. The trick is to use restricted tubes and buffers. Yeah it sucks that pipes are purposedly obtuse but with a little effort they work really well when you're doing mass production or automation.

sounds like a lot more effort than two crucible recipes, a couple of arcane workbench recipes, and one infusion to me

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

[screenshot required]

Any time i've tried to make a full-service alembic with with tubes and labels and one jar for each it's just been a hot, buggy mess.

it works fine when you have a single element in a production chain, but for a catch-all it's a really terrible solution.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 3, 2015

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Eschers Basement posted:

Okay, so Project Mountain Base got abandoned because it was impossible to core out enough of the top level without blight everywhere. However, Project Volcano Base is running quite well and has the advantage of WALLS OF MOLTEN LAVA BEHIND GLASS.

I'm terrible with all of this engineering stuff, but I'm pretty good with aesthetics.

Anyways, now for more stupid questions from a stupid guy who has never dealt with Thaumcraft or Tinker's Construct before:

Thanks again!
For crossbows, you generally want something more flexible for the bow part, because metal takes forever to reload. Maybe someone's done the math already, but I've been getting by just fine with a completely bloodwood xbow and iron/iron bolts. It reloads in about a second and kills even most npcs in 6-10 shots.

You want space around the altar for 12 pedestals, so probably figure about a 9x9 area for the altar. Plus space for jars, unless you go the magic mirror/AE2 route. And ideally you want a bunch of space under the floor (max of 7 blocks I think) for skulls/candles.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your scheme for essentia generation and supply? I think a Quantum Network Bridge (or w/e the long range AE2 thing is) is the only way to remotely supply essentia, but you've definitely got the power generation to support it, and if you hook essentia export buses up on all of the essentia input ports of the machine, and have automated essentia production, then the consumption rate on the machine stops mattering much. Like it's definitely kind of :effort: but you're most of the way there, I think, and the last jump shouldn't be too bad, assuming the Offerings of Dawn bring along AE2 blocks (which they really, really should if they don't already).

I didn't want to use a QNB because A) They're a pain to make B) they take shitloads of power and C) I wanted a little more control over how much essentia the dawn machine eats. So I made this instead:

It uses level emitters and export buses to control the amount of essentia that goes into the second system that you see there with the drive and the controller. The main system is on the left, showing the available amounts of each type, and the small system is on the right, showing how much of each type it has pulled. So I stick a cell in that drive, and it'll suck up exactly as much essentia of each type as I set in the level emitters. The offering moves AE stuff (airships do NOT, however, which is annoying as hell). To make matters worse, the dawn machine can't connect directly to AE stuff, so export busses don't work, which means you have to do a janky setup like this to teleport your dawn machine around successfully.

Also, AE drives to NOT teleport with the offering, so you have to use an ME chest and a single cell.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

yeah i have only ever gotten the thaumic energistics buses to connect to jars

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Did somebody say infusion setups? There's about 160 candles underneath this thing, that's where the ladder allows access to.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 3, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I hate vis relays so much. I'm literally standing here next to them and just watched them all disconnect, crippling my power generation.

I'm done with this stupid bullshit, I'm just gonna go capture a purified Ignis node and throw it on top of my furnace. Vis relays are loving awful

E: Actually can you use Thaumic Energistics vis relay interfaces to pipe vis around to stuff, or do they only work with thaumic energistics stuff?

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 3, 2015

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Magres posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your scheme for essentia generation and supply? I think a Quantum Network Bridge (or w/e the long range AE2 thing is) is the only way to remotely supply essentia
I'm at work right now so can't check but can't you do this with mirrors? I'm sure there's an thingy that's almost like (I said ALMOST) an essentia tesseract.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

vibur posted:

I'm at work right now so can't check but can't you do this with mirrors? I'm sure there's an thingy that's almost like (I said ALMOST) an essentia tesseract.

Essentia Mirrors only work with Infusion Altars

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Much like how the Thaumium Gearbox only works for like two things in AE. :argh:

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Bhodi posted:

[screenshot required]

Any time i've tried to make a full-service alembic with with tubes and labels and one jar for each it's just been a hot, buggy mess.

it works fine when you have a single element in a production chain, but for a catch-all it's a really terrible solution.

I did some googling and found this imgur album which shows and explains how you can chain buffers. After looking at this, the golem seems way easier.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

E: Actually can you use Thaumic Energistics vis relay interfaces to pipe vis around to stuff, or do they only work with thaumic energistics stuff?

I believe you can connect them to each other for an in-out connection through your system. I haven't tested that myself though.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Randomly, because it came up in thread at some point that there's no way to make a trashcan, you can jury rig a trashcan with a hopper, an open crate, and some lava. It's kind of obtuse but it works, as best as I can tell, the exact same. Just make sure to put a dense itemduct just before the hopper to make sure it takes bottom priority for item sending.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 3, 2015

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Magres posted:

I hate vis relays so much. I'm literally standing here next to them and just watched them all disconnect, crippling my power generation.

I'm done with this stupid bullshit, I'm just gonna go capture a purified Ignis node and throw it on top of my furnace. Vis relays are loving awful
In my experience, vis relays are gonna break constantly if they cross a chunk border, but chunk loaders seem to minimize it a lot.

It's pretty much the same bug as the Botania flower detaching one.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I keep all of them chunkloaded :(

It has helped but they still randomly break. Like I had them break while I was sitting in my base, idle, doing some stuff for work. I dunno, I'm gonna try the Vis Relay Interface and if that doesn't work, I'm just gonna make a bunch of stabilizers and transducers and have a node for each task and not bother with relays.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Eschers Basement posted:

Thanks again!

If you can make it, I just made a crossbow bolt out of Pig Iron rod/Pig Iron coating/Slimeleaf fletching and it has 101 ammo, 2.88% break chance, 95% accuracy and 7.5 weight without any modifiers. It's an order of magnitude better than anything else I could make (I found like 40+ emeralds digging in the mountains, pig iron uses like 10 emeralds per bar, the iron/blood is insignificant in comparison)

I'm actually at a similar point as you, a little bit earlier. I've got a single block of soul sand with a single netherwart i'm replanting, and am trying to scrounge together enough plastic and poo poo to start figuring out AE2 to make the cow farm the quest guide recommended, but so far I've yet to actually manage to build anything for AE2 yet. Working on gathering infusion altar bits, too.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 3, 2015

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So, here's what I meant before about getting random missing chunk issues. It's getting really frustrating, and the other day I had to /kill myself out of a cave because my staircase was in the missing chunks and I wasn't in the mood to try to dig myself back up. Neither Fastcraft nor Optifine do anything to help, though they don't seem to make it worse either. Fastcraft just somehow fucks up lighting and new torches I place won't actually light anything unless I quit the world and reload it.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Awww yiss

Magres posted:

Randomly, because it came up in thread at some point that there's no way to make a trashcan, you can jury rig a trashcan with a hopper, an open crate, and some lava. It's kind of obtuse but it works, as best as I can tell, the exact same. Just make sure to put a dense itemduct just before the hopper to make sure it takes bottom priority for item sending.

Make a nullifier.

E: Also, dear blighfall devs, the dawn machine does not get disabled with a redstone signal and when it clears the area it's in it starts sucking cognitio and ordo like a motherfucker. plz fix.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

For those complaining about not getting enough Exanimis, make a Cursed Spirit's Blade and enchant it up Osmotically. Anything the mob is made of, a Soul Aspect can be dropped which carries 8 of an aspect if you melt it down.

EDIT: Scratch that, not sure what controls what Soul Aspects drop because I killed a pig and got an Iter type. This poo poo is bananas.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Imo the best way to do Exanimis is make a Dislocation focus (which is way easier than I thought it would be), throw it on either a silverwood or tainted core wand (or a greatwood staff), and use it to hijack a zombie spawner, then throw it in front of a grinder. Let it sit for like 3-4 hours and collect your several stacks of brains and all the exanimis you need.

Surival-oriented, low resource maps have really made me realize that the best way to do anything is to automate it and set up some output barrels. Like even if it takes an hour to set up, that task is then trivialized forever. Unless you're really, really hurting for materials, always automate anything you can if it's not something you actively enjoy doing

Has anyone tried the Hellbats focus w/ Vamp Bats upgrade? I'm making one now and pretty excited for the prospect of ranged lifesteal, because my only problem with using the shock focus over just beating things to death is that lifesteal makes you so tanky.

E: Holy gently caress you can make the bats explode. YOU CAN SHOOT EXPLODING BATS AT PEOPLE! Though I'm going for the never-explode bats because summoning adds to help tank things sounds fantastic, and the vampire upgrade only really works if the little boogers stick around.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
:stonklol: There is alot more stuff in the floating city than I thought there was. You crazy fuckers put ALOT of poo poo in there. I found the recursive cardboard box - satchel hilarious

Edit: if you want to eat without an eating speed penalty, eat off of a dinner plate. Also you may want to systematically explore and quarry the city so you don't miss anything.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 4, 2015

• Locked thread