Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

pillsburysoldier posted:

Saban arguing with reporters over technical terms in his post game. Man he's upset.

I wonder who's more angry between him and Harbaugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Vertical Lime posted:

Gameday's going to Tuscon for Arizona-UCLA
Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo.

The only other time they've been to Tucson was 2009's Oregon @ Arizona 2OT game/soul-crushing defeat.

Arizona wins and they're top-10 holy poo poo how is this the real world.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
USC was the game I feared most on Notre Dame's remaining schedule but after last night, I'm convinced they'll hang half a hundred on that Trojans D.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, I think their average starting field position for the last 3 scoring drives our starters gave up was our 30 or some poo poo and they're one of the top offenses in FCS. I mean yeah you still don't want your defense to give an inch to an FCS squad, but when you cough up the ball on your side of the field you make things tough on your defense. Don't think that's somehow controversial.

E: woops

anyway! (they rank 15th if you're wondering) the point is that saying but Lamar! is silly and don't do it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Baylor's D is as real as their god

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I generally agree about Baylor's defense, though please don't act like giving up 31 points to loving Lamar is anything but hilariously inept.

Lamar did just beat SHSU. Apparently not that terrible, as I was picking SHSU to eviscerate the rest of their schedule.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo.

The only other time they've been to Tucson was 2009's Oregon @ Arizona 2OT game/soul-crushing defeat.

Arizona wins and they're top-10 holy poo poo how is this the real world.

feels good man.

best possible outcome next week includes USC beating ASU, leaving both with a conference loss and USC wouldn't get too much of a bump from beating unranked ASU.

If we lose though, 50/50 we drop out of the top 25 based on our resume thus far-- next week it's feast or famine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I saw this live and it was hilarious, but this angle is so much better. He just...what?

quote:

Our offense is absolutely putrid. Our play calling is garbage and the QB situation is dire. We have no run game to speak of and nothing happening in the air either because Mauk can't throw and the receivers can't catch. Pinkel is a loving blockhead that refuses to use Lock more than 1 or two drives a game. Good way to burn a redshirt!

This is what Pinkel does for better or worse, he likes to give QBs some game action without intending to play them that year. In the past it's been dumb because burning redshirts for no reason is bad. Now it's bad because the guy might be the better QB.

Either way it doesn't look like the offense is going to be working this year.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 20, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mahoning posted:

USC was the game I feared most on Notre Dame's remaining schedule but after last night, I'm convinced they'll hang half a hundred on that Trojans D.

be afraid of temple motherfucker

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Stuart Mandel reports P5 commissioners have asked daily fantasy THIS POST BROUGHT TO YOU BY FANKINGS DOT BIZ sites to stop doing college.

if they do, they're basically admitting it's gambling, so they won't.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

E: woops

anyway! (they rank 15th if you're wondering) the point is that saying but Lamar! is silly and don't do it.

Almost caught you there. Anyway, wasn't saying 'but Lamar!' so much as 'but a 4 turnover performance against a not-completely-helpless-team I'm not yet convinced our offense repeats!' But yeah, I'm splitting hairs at this point. Like I said, Baylor/TTU will tell us everything we need to know.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mahoning posted:

One should never count Clemson out of doing something hilarious, like beating Notre Dame and then losing to Wake Forest

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Almost caught you there. Anyway, wasn't saying 'but Lamar!' so much as 'but a 4 turnover performance against a not-completely-helpless-team I'm not sure our offense repeats!' But yeah, I'm splitting hairs at this point. Like I said, Baylor/TTU will tell us everything we need to know.

What is TTU going to tell us about Baylor? That they can beat the bottom half of the conference?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Qwijib0 posted:

feels good man.

best possible outcome next week includes USC beating ASU, leaving both with a conference loss and USC wouldn't get too much of a bump from beating unranked ASU.

If we lose though, 50/50 we drop out of the top 25 based on our resume thus far-- next week it's feast or famine.
Auburn is still ranked, so I wouldn't worry.

I think we've got a good chance of winning, though, especially if Scooby is back (oh god will Scooby be back :ohdear:)

E: I don't think UCLA's been all that impressive, though they've been unimpressive against much better competition, but at least we destroyed 2/3rds of our cupcakes :colbert:

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 20, 2015

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Auburn is still ranked, so I wouldn't worry.

Not sure the Pac-12 south has enough of a reputation as "a hard division where you expect losses" but I guess we might find out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What is TTU going to tell us about Baylor? That they can beat the bottom half of the conference?

It'll give us a clearer idea how good/bad Baylor's defense is? I mean, have you been watching Tech? It's entirely possible Baylor beats them even if our defense is putrid, that defense has still looked mediocre at best, but their offense is good enough that if Baylor's defense holds them to under 30 that I'll be feeling pretty good about them. We get a repeat of last year's peformance, and opposing offenses will still get the benefit of the doubt. A team can be bad (and I'm not sure that Tech is bad) and still good enough on one side of the ball to be a good test.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

It'll give us a clearer idea how good/bad Baylor's defense is? I mean, have you been watching Tech? It's entirely possible Baylor beats them even if our defense is putrid, that defense has still looked mediocre at best, but their offense is good enough that if Baylor's defense holds them to under 30 that I'll be feeling pretty good about them. We get a repeat of last year's peformance, and opposing offenses will still get the benefit of the doubt. A team can be bad (and I'm not sure that Tech is bad) and still good enough on one side of the ball to be a good test.

It would signal to me that Tech's offense isn't very good, hth.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Greataval posted:

That feeling you get when you realize 7 win Sark strikes again and the season is basically over because you already know the outcome.

Oh no, a bowl game? The horror!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I saw this live and it was hilarious, but this angle is so much better. He just...what?

Tray Matthews sucks. The funny thing is, though...

Auburn already knew this.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It would signal to me that Tech's offense isn't very good, hth.

I mean, they've been pretty good on offense by every statistical measure for a few years now and haven't done anything to challenge that perception so far, but okay.

In the meantime, let's all point and laugh/shake our heads that Auburn is still somehow ranked. Preseason rankings are a helluva thing.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Cnidario posted:

At this point in the season, I think LSU or Ole Miss will win the SECW. We are too inconsistent for me to get a good idea of how our offense will do against SEC defenses (or how our defense will do, for that matter). Then again, I have a pretty acute case of battered Aggie syndrome, so

Shush, we're winning the west

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D.N. Nation posted:

Tray Matthews sucks. The funny thing is, though...

Auburn already knew this.

Holy poo poo that was him? Wow.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee is going to destroy Florida and walk away with the East.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also I am really sad about UAB having its football program closed, even if they got it reinstated later, but thanks for Jake Ganus because he killed it all game long.

Thanks to UAB being out of the picture, does that mean the entire state of Alabama lost yesterday?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Watching ISU lose because their kicker can't make a last second field goal, really brought back some not so fond memories.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Tennessee is going to destroy Florida and walk away with the East.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Holy poo poo that was him? Wow.

Fun fact: Both the Georgia players who tipped that ball had interceptions against each other in the Auburn/Louisville season opener. Additional fun fact: Both those teams are bad and it's fun.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone claiming a winner of the SEC West this early is silly.

I'm more inclined to believe that it'll be between 2-3 teams at the end & they'll have to go to the tie-breaker scenarios in the conference rulebook.

Though, begrudgingly, I'll admit that Ole Miss looks the best right now.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

Also I am really sad about UAB having its football program closed, even if they got it reinstated later, but thanks for Jake Ganus because he killed it all game long.

UAB had a lot of good players last year, it makes me mad

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I went to a game Friday night. There was a white RB named Kentucky Couns(pronounced "Coons"). He wasn't good and that wasn't even close to a hillbilly school but it's still southwest Virginia so I guess that occasionally happens. Also he wasn't good or it would have been way funnier.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

D.N. Nation posted:

Mizzou is really pushing that whole "make the conference look like poo poo, then win the East" routine. If they weren't once again handed the most Charmin-soft schedule possible by the SEC higher ups, I'd say we could safely ignore them, but alas. I swear, I think they play Vandy twice this year.

I'm glad we don't because then we'd lose to Vandy twice in a season.

Grittybeard posted:

This is what Pinkel does for better or worse, he likes to give QBs some game action without intending to play them that year. In the past it's been dumb because burning redshirts for no reason is bad. Now it's bad because the guy might be the better QB.

It's bad for both reasons IMO. What really gets me about the offense is they pretty much looked like this last year too. I don't know what they did in the offseason but whatever it was didn't work.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Iowa beats Pitt with an (admittedly impressive) 57 yard field goal that shouldn't have been necessary and now our moron fans are talking like we're a team of destiny.

Still can't jam a receiver at the line, can't turn the corner on a run to the outside, can't manage the clock worth a drat, still get out-recruited by every team we supposedly compete with, still stuck with a milquetoast chickenshit coach. Not to mention we still let the team and the athletic department distract us with feel good stuff and pretend that's a valid justification for spending hundreds of dollars every weekend on a team with no accountability.

I'm as happy as anyone that we're 3-0 but gently caress let's dial it back.

That said, lol sad endzone Pitt player.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The general outsider consensus on Iowa seemed to be "they're lousy but that schedule could get them 9-10 wins," so here we are.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

I still want to see what the offense looks like with a healthy Hansbrough. Ish Witter loving sucks and the rest of the crew aren't any good.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
That coaches poll is garbage.

Everyone is garbage.

Except Ole Miss. They're A-OK in my book today.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Shappa posted:

That coaches poll is garbage.

Everyone is garbage.

Except Ole Miss. They're A-OK in my book today.

"Pre-season rankings are a hell of a drug"

Wasn't there a big story a few years ago where the coaches responsible for the poll hardly watch more than highlights of the games (if that) and rely on hearsay and reputation? AP is a far better indicator since (presumably) they can actually watch the games and aren't, you know, coaching their team while the other games are going on.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

One should never count Clemson out of doing something hilarious, like beating Notre Dame and then losing to Wake Forest

Hey... shut up.

:smith:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, the coaches poll matters even less now than it ever did, but it's still supremely silly seeing Auburn ranked immediately over WVU in terms of votes received. WVU hasn't done anything incredible yet, sure, but a shutout of Georgia Southern is leaps and bounds better than anything at all on Auburn's resume right now.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Well, Georgia finally avenged 2012. It's time to stop keeping our talented freshmen on the bench and just let them go play. It'll be better for us in the long run if they do and we have absolutely nothing to lose at this point. Lorenzo Nunez looked pretty good, all things considered, so I'd like to see him get the majority of snaps at QB going forward. I predicted a 5-7 season after the way 2014 went, but man, it is still not any fun at all to sit through. Our three-year run of 11-win seasons feels like a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Alabama to 12, sheesh

• Locked thread