Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If you do a second pacifist run a npc shows up near the blooks house by the save point and he says her name and says you could be good friends with her.
Is he a random spawn? Because I absolutely met him my very first playthrough as a pacifist.

Tenasscity posted:

After much consideration, I've decided that Undertale is a better Earthbound-ish game than Earthbound was. Maybe it's Nostalgia fading over time, but in Earthbound, while I had a similar love of the settings, characters and way the game subtly messed with the player, Undertale seems to trump EB is every way, do it more often.
Earthbound is 21 years old and Undertale wouldn't exist without it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

Oh, another thing I noticed playing through the true pacifist end a second time:

When you SAVE Sans and Papyrus, Sans says these lines:

"just give up. i did."
"why even try?"
"you'll never see 'em again."
"nah, i'm rootin' for ya, kid."

I think they're kind of interesting; they're not revealing anything that isn't stated explicitly in the Genocide ending, but it's kind of neat to see his hang-ups laid out so plainly in a non-murder context. (I do wonder what he means by "you'll never see 'em again.") Mostly, though, I really like his ultimate response after you SAVE him; even on the verge of a happy ending, he knows you have the power to take it away, but you seem like an okay kid so, hey, might as well have your back. Maybe you'll prove him wrong.

gently caress.

That line could be referring to Gaster/Wing Dings. Maybe the reason Sans is so laid back is that he burnt himself out trying to save/reload/whatever in order to save his brother over and over again. His laid back attitude now could be his acceptance that there are certain things you can't change no matter how determined you are. That would have caused him to lose the power. If that's true, maybe he is hoping that the PC/anomaly can prove him wrong and do better, so that's why hes cautiously rooting for you during the pacifist run. Probably a reach, but Sans definitely acts like a dude who's seen some serious poo poo and he knows all about the player's abilities and the implications of having them, so it's possible.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 23, 2015

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Tollymain posted:

butterscotch cinnamon pie sounds like an utter tooth-rotter

No lie, making this for thanksgiving with the in-laws. This and some home-made whipped cream.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Thought this was funny.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Tollymain posted:

i find the hives joke far funnier than i should

h0ives!!1

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

JuniperCake posted:

gently caress.

Sans definitely has some experience with time travel, but I doubt he ever had the power to SAVE and LOAD. Monster bodies don't take so well to DETERMINATION, which is part of why Alphys chose a flower as a vessel in the first place, and while it's true Sans has a bunch of time shenanigans-related ennui I suspect his personality has always been kind of laid-back. After all, Papyrus never mentions him having a drastic personality shift in the past. Plus I just like the idea that Sans is a chill dude who doesn't have much in the way of DETERMINATION but is so amicable and crafty that he's still the most capable and dangerous person around. At any rate, his knowledge of time travel almost certainly comes from his quantum physics background and has something to do with the broken machine in his lab.

We also know that Sans had friends that are no longer around--he refers to "our reports" when you fight him, but there's basically nobody in the game who could possibly be included in that "our" (except Gaster, if he counts--or Alphys, actually, since she's cagey about how she knows Sans in the true ending, but she doesn't seem to be aware of time shenanigans). Since you don't recognize any of the monsters in the picture in his office, though, it's safe to assume we've never met Sans friends because they're gone, or at least not around. Conservation of detail+skeleton bros makes it likely their disappearance is somehow Gaster-related, but everything we know about Gaster suggests his accident was a one-off thing that only affected him while Sans was part of a larger group.

Finally, we know that Sans suffered some kind of loss, and that he tried to get whatever he lost back but eventually gave up. Hence "i gave up trying to go back a long time ago" and "take it from me, kid. someday... you gotta learn when to QUIT." Of course, what he lost is almost certainly the friends from the picture, and it was probably in a time travel shenanigan of some kind. While I like to think he's always been a pretty chill guy, it's probably safe to say he wasn't always this passive and his reluctance to get involved now probably has as much to do with that experience as it does his knowledge of our resets.

Sans is super cool and there's just enough left unexplored about him to get me excited.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 23, 2015

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Opposing Farce posted:

Sans definitely has some experience with time travel, but I doubt he ever had the power to SAVE and LOAD. Monster bodies don't take so well to DETERMINATION

Except Undyne, who seems to have natural DETERMINATION, since she is able to pull herself together in the genocide route, and in both routes if she dies she remains alive for way too long while slowly melting, like the monsters injected with DETERMINATION did in the true lab's logs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gloomy Rube posted:

Except Undyne, who seems to have natural DETERMINATION, since she is able to pull herself together in the genocide route, and in both routes if she dies she remains alive for way too long while slowly melting, like the monsters injected with DETERMINATION did in the true lab's logs.

It's from all the Shonen anime she watches.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

No, including Undyne, because while her DETERMINATION is great (especially on the genocide path), it does melt her eventually, even when all of the other monsters are working together to power her up. Monsters, no matter how great their willpower, can only take so much before their body disintegrates, whereas Frisk, the Fallen, and arguably Flowey are able to pull on your DETERMINATION--which is essentially infinite so long as you choose to keep playing the game--to bend time itself without getting all goopy.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Opposing Farce posted:

No, including Undyne, because while her DETERMINATION is great (especially on the genocide path), it does melt her eventually, even when all of the other monsters are working together to power her up. Monsters, no matter how great their willpower, can only take so much before their body disintegrates, whereas Frisk, the Fallen, and (ultimately/indirectly) Flowey are able to pull on your DETERMINATION--which is essentially infinite so long as you choose to keep playing the game--to bend time itself without getting all goopy.

It only melts her after a ton of getting beat up, so it's safe to say she's able to have enough DETERMINATION to survive normally fatal attacks without melting normally, unless you think she creates it somehow during the battle.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Gloomy Rube posted:

It only melts her after a ton of getting beat up, so it's safe to say she's able to have enough DETERMINATION to survive normally fatal attacks without melting normally, unless you think she creates it somehow during the battle.

I think that's exactly what happens. Her burning shonen desire to defeat you allows her to create DETERMINATION, and the more you beat her up, the more willpower she exerts, leading her to create more and more DETERMINATION until it eventually becomes too much for her body to handle. Undyne the Undying is able to become so much stronger and last so much longer than normal Undyne in large part because the entire Underground is cheering for her and their SOULs lend her strength.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

How does this manage to be one of the funniest and most charming games I've ever played, while at the same time being one of the most soul-crushing, unsettling and scary experiences I've ever seen, while seesawing between both roles seamlessly?

A game like this shouldn't be able to exist and yet it does, and it is amazing.

I hope this sells 10 million copies, and even that's less than it deserves.

Lightcecil
Apr 22, 2008
I was thinking the same thing really. The last time a game actually made me feel so genuinely for the characters in it is Mother 3.

Hence why it's kind of wrenching when the pacifist pre-true pacifist ending makes you nearly kill Asgore.

Toby's writing shows he really knows how to build characters that, even though you only know them for a short while, instantly become attached.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So I just beat the final boss of pacifist mode, but for whatever reason I didn't fight flowey.

True reset is also not unlocked. Any idea what's going on?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Gorp posted:

So I just beat the final boss of pacifist mode, but for whatever reason I didn't fight flowey.

you did a true pacifist run and befriended everybody, grats

you only fight flowey if you didnt friend everyone before you fight asgore

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I don't understand how people are managing to get the true ending without doing the neutral ending first.

I tried to trigger the phone call to friend up Alphys but it only happens after the first run.

How are people getting around that by accident?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ice_Mallet posted:

I don't understand how people are managing to get the true ending without doing the neutral ending first.

I tried to trigger the phone call to friend up Alphys but it only happens after the first run.

How are people getting around that by accident?

I'm wondering the same thing cause this was my experience. I didn't kill anyone, went on my friend dates with Papyrus and Undine and I still had to play through the neutral ending before I got that phone call that starts the events that gets you into the true lab.

I'm guessing this is the intended order, at least going by the fact that the sound files for the lab are after Asgore's theme and the others songs for the neutral ending in the OST but maybe there's a bug? That could be why he isn't getting the option for the true reset either.

You fought Asriel right and got the full ending with the sunset and everything?

It's a shame though, cause the neutral ending final boss is definitely an experience.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 23, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Honestly, I didn't really like the Omega Flowey fight. I thought it was a bit much.

True pacifist end was excellent though.

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Man, every day since its release this game has done something to surprise me.

Dunno if anyone has brought it up, but I went to the joystick menu for the first time since first starting the game up only to find something surprisingly pleasant.
Does anyone else get interesting stuff when they go there? It seems to be the source of at least one music track I hadn't heard in-game before.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Limopalise posted:

Man, every day since its release this game has done something to surprise me.

Dunno if anyone has brought it up, but I went to the joystick menu for the first time since first starting the game up only to find something surprisingly pleasant.
Does anyone else get interesting stuff when they go there? It seems to be the source of at least one music track I hadn't heard in-game before.

As far as I can tell, it should change with the season.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Line Feed posted:

As far as I can tell, it should change with the season.

Yep :)

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Just tested it myself, and yep! A lovely jingle for almost every season.

I love this game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is that where the "uwa!!" songs from the soundtrack play?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

Is that where the "uwa!!" songs from the soundtrack play?

You know, I think it is.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Is Hope and Dreams the best song? I think it's the best song.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Looks like Austin Walker from Giant Bomb is working on a review and a Quick Look. I'm happy, I want this game to get more "mainstream" exposure.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Apparently Toriel's name is a pun? I don't get it though????? can someone??????????? explain the pun?????????????????????? to me??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Meis posted:

Apparently Toriel's name is a pun? I don't get it though????? can someone??????????? explain the pun?????????????????????? to me??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Tutoriel

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The Gorp posted:

You can only fight Flowey once per true reset. Every other time you get to the Flowey boss fight he just says something about not fighting you, then skips the boss fight.

Did you befriend Undyne? Befriending her is kinda easy to miss, her house to the right of Napstablook's and befriending her is vital for the true pacifist ending.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder how much dosh toby fox could get via a merchandising thing like this

i'd personally be sorely tempted to pick up some of the characters, and i don't generally go for buying that sort of thing

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I fell into the third category because I always just go with the canon names when a RPG lets me name the characters. I just named the MC Sam because it was a unisex name and I remembered that the MC has no real set gender.

Are you me?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tollymain posted:

i wonder how much dosh toby fox could get via a merchandising thing like this

i'd personally be sorely tempted to pick up some of the characters, and i don't generally go for buying that sort of thing

i wanna buy a plush dog

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Einwand posted:

Someone did a pretty great drawing of the end boss of the true pacifist route, http://imgur.com/tGIRgZp, heavy spoilers of course.

Oh no my heart

All in pieces

all in pieces

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So I just finished neutral > pacifist and i'm about to do genocide.
I already know I have to sell my soul and then run pacifist afterwards but is it really worth running four times?
i wanna do genocide once to see it, but is soulless pacifist that much different to pacifist? I know the ending involves the MC zombie-ying out and killing everyone but is there anything else worth doing?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is having a bad time really worth what happens next?

also, post-geno everything goes exactly the same except for a very brief stinger at the end, just watch that poo poo on youtube or something if you don't want to replay the game a fourth time

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Stoat posted:

So I just finished neutral > pacifist and i'm about to do genocide.
I already know I have to sell my soul and then run pacifist afterwards but is it really worth running four times?
i wanna do genocide once to see it, but is soulless pacifist that much different to pacifist? I know the ending involves the MC zombie-ying out and killing everyone but is there anything else worth doing?

Genocide is worth it just for the unique bosses, but if you don't wanna irrevocably gently caress up your save file you can safely stop after you have a bad time, I think. The only thing being soulless changes is a literal two second stinger.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
So I'm restarting the game to do a pacifist run and I just want to know if I accidentally kill a monster a reload the save will that end the pacifist thing? I know it will probably be commented on at some point by flowy but will it lock out the true ending?

Also this question has probably been asked multiple times before as well as other questions of a similar nature so maybe a faq should be compiled?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
No, it won't.

BoredMarc
Jun 14, 2010
DUMB AS SHIT
Huh I thought the game had cloud save support because of the cloud symbol by the game in my steam list but when I started it up it asked for my name. Is that for something else besides saves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BoredMarc posted:

Huh I thought the game had cloud save support because of the cloud symbol by the game in my steam list but when I started it up it asked for my name. Is that for something else besides saves?

Yes.

• Locked thread