Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Yaya posted:

Question since I missed the celebration: Did Osuna have to just sadly sip on Coca-Cola while everybody else celebrated since he's only 20

Isn't the drinking age in Canada lower? Were they at home last night?

EDIT:

Groucho Marxist posted:

starlin castro is unlucky when he's bad and it's his true talent level when he's good it has nothing to do with the fact that his skill set is a high variance one. check out my fangraphs scouting report.

As long as that variance is the good kind of variance rather than the bad kind, let my man Barlin Bastro play in the wild card game. Aren't the Pirates like second in the league in errors? Seems like a good defense to just slap baseballs at and see what happens.

DeepDickPizza fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

DeepDickPizza posted:

Drinking age is 19 in Canada, but they're in Baltimore.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

DeepDickPizza posted:

They were in Baltimore, but I think the visitor's clubhouse was designated Canadian soil for the celebration, so Osuna should have been fine

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Yaya posted:

Drinking age is 19 in Canada, but they're in Baltimore.

If they're in Baltimore, then there are no rules. He probably just put his bottle of champagne in a paper bag so nobody could tell what it was.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Someone made a post about a player having a turnaround.

*feverishly searches fan graphs to prove why it can't be true.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yaya posted:

Question since I missed the celebration: Did Osuna have to just sadly sip on Coca-Cola while everybody else celebrated since he's only 20

That's a clown question, bro.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Yaya posted:

Isn't that him?

Edit: maybe not, I don't see his left arm tattoos. But he's definitely in the bullpen selfie.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Something tells me if you're in a major league club no ones gonna call you out for having a beer in the plastic party room.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

shadok posted:

Isn't that him?

Well, mystery solved.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Popete posted:

I mean it's not like we haven't had the same discussion about Castro a million times. Because he's pretty much always been the player that he is. It's not hard to make the point that his offensive value is BABIP dependent, because that has always been true.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Osuna would get a smallish fine at worst, but Rogers won't reimburse him.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Popete posted:

Yep nobody has general knowledge about things like BABIP, LD%, Castro being awful, etc

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Popete posted:

That's really my only complaint about sabermetrics, it's awesome to know why things have happened and if they might continue in the future, but it does take some of the joyful fun out of a game that is, after all, grown men hitting a ball with a stick of wood.

I say gently caress the haters (not seriously, the counter information was interesting and useful), if you want to believe Starlin has turned it around, you go ahead and believe it.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also, RA Dickey is teetotal.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

ALFbrot posted:

Rooting for the Cardinals is like pulling for the camp of rich kids across the lake to beat the scrappy band of outcast kids we can all identify with in the annual camp olympics.

Hmm

code:
9	Toronto Blue Jays	$138,023,568	
10	Philadelphia Phillies	$137,810,172 (lol)	
11	Chicago Cubs		$131,417,485	
12	St. Louis Cardinals	$129,884,787	
Yes, I know the Pirates are way down there.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Lots of teams are rich. The cards and Yankees are wealthy.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

OctoberBlues posted:

That's really my only complaint about sabermetrics, it's awesome to know why things have happened and if they might continue in the future, but it does take some of the joyful fun out of a game that is, after all, grown men hitting a ball with a stick of wood.

I say gently caress the haters (not seriously, the counter information was interesting and useful), if you want to believe Starlin has turned it around, you go ahead and believe it.

I believe the sky is green! I believe it really hard!

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Ugh, this attitude is so frustrating. Take a player like Jake Arrieta. He seems to have legitimately, significantly improved. More strikeouts, fewer walks, these things aren't up to chance, he's doing something different and better than he used to. Hell, if you want, his LD% (for what little it's worth) is actually higher than his 2010 and 2011 LD%. And there are concrete explanations you can point to (and argue about) for this improvement, like the fact that he throws a cutter now and didn't used to. And lo and behold, nobody is "feverishly" searching Fangraphs to prove that 2016 Jake Arrieta is going to look a lot like 2010-2012 Jake Arrieta when Cubs fans say nice things about him.

But with Castro there's no concrete explanation beyond "he really started to focus, finally," there's no gradual improvement you can point to (check out Arrieta's contact percentage - every year more bats are missing his pitches at a pretty steady rate), there's no past performance that might indicate that Castro is at last returning to form (like A-Rod), there's just the same old story of a guy who strings together a lucky streak. People have seen it before from Castro a million times.

Anyways this post made me say nice things about a Cub.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Mike_V posted:

Hmm

code:
9	Toronto Blue Jays	$138,023,568	
10	Philadelphia Phillies	$137,810,172 (lol)	
11	Chicago Cubs		$131,417,485	
12	St. Louis Cardinals	$129,884,787	
Yes, I know the Pirates are way down there.

Did you think my post was about money and payroll because lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
*player whose team's fans call him terrible for two years has 30 really good games*

He's fixed, guys!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

zakharov posted:

I believe the sky is green! I believe it really hard!

It wouldn't bother me if you did believe that, friend, so long as it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone else.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let me state the main point I was trying to make before the typical hyperbole completely engulfs this thread.

I like Starlin Castro and never wanted him traded even when he was poo poo. I believe he receives way more criticism then he is due from Cubs and baseball fans alike. He has played on some poo poo teams since coming up and I hope he starts the wild card game cause he is playing very well since August 11th.

Feel free to move on.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Popete posted:

I like Starlin Castro and never wanted him traded even when he was poo poo.

That's cool

He's not a great fielder and he's a mediocre hitter whose value is almost wholly dependent on BABIP, but no one said a player had to be good for you to like him or want him to start

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

OctoberBlues posted:

It wouldn't bother me if you did believe that, friend, so long as it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone else.

No one thinks he is a bad person for believing the dumb thing about the bad player but are you seriously upset because people are debating the value of a baseball player in a thread about baseball? Because debating and discussing sports things like that is literally the entire purpose of a sports discussion forum. This one even has the word "argument" right in the title!

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 1, 2015

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

N: Shin-Soo Choo posted a 211 wRC+ in the month of September. He was closer to Harper than 3rd place(Chris Davis/Mike Trout) was to him.

V: This is the weirdest loving Rangers season I have ever seen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I love when old people are mystified by current trends/technology

One day I'll be the old person who doesn't understand why kids these days inhale their food in gaseous form while broadcasting the absorption process using subdermal cameras

http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=511523483&topic_id=6479266

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bob Brenley is the only guy who could pull that off without sounding like a jerk.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

No one thinks he is a bad person for believing the dumb thing about the bad player but are you seriously upset because people are debating the value of a baseball player in a thread about baseball? Because debating and discussing sports things like that is literally the entire purpose of a sports discussion forum.

No, and I love advanced stats, I just think some of the reason it seems like not a lot of new people post here (and I know op isn't new) is because if you post anything that doesn't match what the group consensus is, you are immediately given a giant list of reasons why you are absolutely wrong and couldn't possibly be right. But no, I don't really care, Starlin Castro is not the hill I will choose to die on!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

I love when old people are mystified by current trends/technology

One day I'll be the old person who doesn't understand why kids these days inhale their food in gaseous form while broadcasting the absorption process using subdermal cameras

http://m.mlb.com/video/?content_id=511523483&topic_id=6479266

This video is cool and good and everyone should watch it if they didn't the first time it was posted earlier

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

here's a nice grantland article on kershaw's quest for 300 Ks and the evolution of the strikeout

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

No, and I love advanced stats, I just think some of the reason it seems like not a lot of new people post here (and I know op isn't new) is because if you post anything that doesn't match what the group consensus is, you are immediately given a giant list of reasons why you are absolutely wrong and couldn't possibly be right. But no, I don't really care, Starlin Castro is not the hill I will choose to die on!

Only one of us can fit on this hill, this wasn't the life I chose I was born into it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
One of the most exciting free agents this year for me is Jeff Samardjiza. I really wanna know how much he loses compared to what the Cubs had offered him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

This video is cool and good and everyone should watch it if they didn't the first time it was posted earlier

Welp I missed it :(

e: I feel like the forums used to have a feature where if you posted a link that already exists in the thread it would tell you

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 1, 2015

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zeeman posted:

They were in Baltimore, but I think the visitor's clubhouse was designated Canadian soil for the celebration, so Osuna should have been fine

Oh, you may have just have been joking about this, but my pedantry just flared up: there's absolutely no way that the visitor's clubhouse at Oriole Park actually has legal extraterritoriality. It's extremely unlikely that the Baltimore PD would actually make an issue out of Osuna drinking a beer during the celebration and cite him for it, or charge whoever gave him the beer with a crime, but if they did Canada couldn't do squat.

Besides, Maryland's booze laws allow minors to consume alcohol as part of a religious ceremony, which this clearly was.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's cool that Castro's been doing well lately. It is entirely possible that faced with losing his starting spot, Castro decided to change a few things that resulted in him breaking his slump and settling into a nice streaky month. It's also possible that Castro, being a very streaky guy in general, just happened to fall into a good month of hitting. Who knows.

Either way, it's good for the Cubs. His trading stock has gone up, and it's possible that his fantastic September has dazzled a few managers into thinking he's something more than a streaky hitter and a mediocre fielder. If the Cubs get even a half-way decent offer, they should trade him for some cold hard cash to throw at trying to build a strong pitching core around Arrieta and Lester. The Cubs infield is clogged enough as it is without Starlin stinking it up at second, and they have a solid rotation of young bats who are good defensively and only going to get better at the plate as time goes on (Bryant, Baez, Schwarber, Russell, etc).

I mean, if we had great all-around pitching and it was our offense that was wallowing, maybe there'd be an argument for trying to develop Castro. As it stands, he's doing the Cubs the double favor of helping them to rally in the final leg of the regular season, and potentially giving them a strong trade asset.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Phillies swept the Mets, the bullpen looks like poo poo again and Cespedes has a bruised hand going into the playoffs! Oh and they're fighting with the Dodgers for home field and with the hurricane coming its probably going to be a monsoon all weekend putting the entire Nationals series in jeopardy. Back to feeling like the Mets again!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Welp I missed it :(

e: I feel like the forums used to have a feature where if you posted a link that already exists in the thread it would tell you

It did a long long time ago (and I miss it for basically this reason) but I don't think it would have worked in this case because he linked to a direct video source and you linked from the mlb.com videos page.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Xenophon posted:

there's just the same old story of a guy who strings together a lucky streak. People have seen it before from Castro a million times.

Hot drat, a million lucky streaks in a six year career? I'll take it!!!

Look, the fact of the matter is Starlin Castro is a decent, not outstanding player. Four of his six seasons, he's basically put up numbers that would qualify him as a starter. I don't know how he seems to be the topic of so much consternation and handwringing. In 2013, he was awful, but so much has been spoken about the Dale Sveum experience that it isn't worth rehashing. This year, he's put up bench player numbers. I suspect in the offseason the Cubs will continue talks to trade him, while simultaneously looking at trying him out at new positions. A 25 year old with a .282 career batting average and double digit home run potential isn't exactly a throwaway player, even if he doesn't take walks. But you certainly aren't going to move Rizzo, Bryant or Russell off their positions and Baez is such a solid defender and has looked like a decent bat even with the strikeouts. Does Starlin have the tools to play a corner outfield spot? I can't imagine him being a worse option than Chris Denorfia.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Popete posted:

Only one of us can fit on this hill, this wasn't the life I chose I was born into it.

The top of the hill was empty because Starlin fled to another hill when people began to storm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

DeepDickPizza posted:

But you certainly aren't going to move Rizzo, Bryant or Russell off their positions

The word on Bryant has always been that he's unlikely to stick at third.

• Locked thread