Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Just waiting on Drone, djw175, Ryuujin, and epicurius before we get around the batting order to the displacer beasts (and my update) again.

Sorry for delay, will get a post up when I'm home from work in about 9 hours.. have to look some stuff up in my PHB first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaemonWyrm
Jul 3, 2003

Why don't I hear any sleep screams?

Waador posted:

Obviously, someone will have to actually grapple the thing, but ...

Did someone say hillbilly moonshiner?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TBN, I just edited in the Medicine roll, 16.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Up now are Reava, Leshanna, and Kalud, before the monsters go again.

Also, Celio and Elizara are at least like 200' from the beast by the campfire, well beyond the range of the attacks they made. You can either change your actions (maybe Dashing to actually get closer to being within range?) or keep them but delay a bit and apply them instead to the closer displacer beast after it takes its action to leap atop the lightning rail carriage and threaten to pounce down on you from above.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Does the displacer beast to the left still have its disadvantage thingy?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

djw175 posted:

Does the displacer beast to the left still have its disadvantage thingy?
I don't believe that one has been successfully attacked this round, so it probably does. It sounds like the vicious mockery was targeted against it, but it isn't within range so that can't go off against that one this round. However, the one on the left has been attacked by the burning hands, so whether it fails its save or not will likely dictate whether it takes damage (since I think it effectively has evasion?). Whether that turns off its disadvantage aura or not I don't know, though.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Rolled again for my post just in case, and both were good rolls so whatever.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Did away with the pointless attack; instead I'm just using my action to Hide (and moving).

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Up now are Reava, Leshanna, and Kalud, before the monsters go again.

Also, Celio and Elizara are at least like 200' from the beast by the campfire, well beyond the range of the attacks they made. You can either change your actions (maybe Dashing to actually get closer to being within range?) or keep them but delay a bit and apply them instead to the closer displacer beast after it takes its action to leap atop the lightning rail carriage and threaten to pounce down on you from above.

Elizara will just run then; it'll take her a long time to cover the distance.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I'm flying out tomorrow morning for a week and a half business trip where I'll have very limited internet time. I'll get some posting done this afternoon, but I dunno what you guys want to do with Kalud until I return on October 9th... I'm open to being NPC'd or blended into the background or whatever's easiest for TychoBrahesNose.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
We can NPC him for a couple of rounds, if necessary. I just want to make sure you get the chance to share the information about the displacer beast ambush that only Kalud has, if you want to. If not, the rest of the party will find out soon enough what their devious scheme is...

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Or, since we have a player just twiddling their thumbs while their character is unconscious, what if DaemonWyrm takes over Kalud until Colum is back on his feet?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Wisdom: 1d20+1 12. And it fails its save against the newcomer's casting of Tasha's Hideous Laughter as well!
It can't decide whether to laugh or groan at such claw-ful puns, but either way it is incapacitated and prone and its movement is 0, so its Displacement effect is also suppressed for as long as the spell lasts.

Point of order-- if the creature is Prone, then melee-range attacks against it are at Advantage, which does grant Sneak Attack, correct? Incapacitated doesn't need to grant it.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Quorum posted:

Point of order-- if the creature is Prone, then melee-range attacks against it are at Advantage, which does grant Sneak Attack, correct? Incapacitated doesn't need to grant it.

Yep, that's correct. Sneak attack away -- but you better kill it, because it gets an additional save (with Advantage) against the spell's effects if it takes damage.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Can we perhaps add some sense of scale to the map?

Measuring the pixels, it seems like the displacer beasts are 30x30 (plus or minus a few), which suggests that 30 pixels is 10', given that they are large creatures. I am presently 170 pixels from RM, which would work out to 55', so a 60' dash should get me to her and a bit beyond. However, I don't really want to measure pixels for every round of combat.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Waador posted:

Can we perhaps add some sense of scale to the map?

Measuring the pixels, it seems like the displacer beasts are 30x30 (plus or minus a few), which suggests that 30 pixels is 10', given that they are large creatures. I am presently 170 pixels from RM, which would work out to 55', so a 60' dash should get me to her and a bit beyond. However, I don't really want to measure pixels for every round of combat.

I said awhile back that the train carriages are 50' long, so that's the easiest benchmark. The displacer beasts (and the PCs/NPCs) are not entirely to scale, mostly just so they can be seen/identified easily.
B9 is almost two carriage lengths from RM, so I'd put him at 90'. Given that the map is not on a grid, though, I'm not going to quibble 5' one way or another, unless it's clear that someone is (or is not) in melee range.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
I'm going to go ahead and say that that attack killed Cain rather than knocked him unconscious. Ten players really is way too much for a forum rp, so survival of the fittest.

Good luck with the rest of the campaign!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So, my posting might get spotty soon considering there's a hurricane on its way to where I live.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

djw175 posted:

So, my posting might get spotty soon considering there's a hurricane on its way to where I live.

Likewise. Fortunately the current predicted track doesn't involve a head-on collision, but at this point, who knows?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Are we waiting on additional people to act?

I think the current buckets are basically...
> Have Acted > Bastion / Tharn / Celio / Elizara
> Have Posted (but not acted) > Reava / Nebra
> Are Not Conscious > Colum / Cain
> Have 3 Turns to Take > Kalud / Leshanna

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Waador posted:

Are we waiting on additional people to act?

I think the current buckets are basically...
> Have Acted > Bastion / Tharn / Celio / Elizara
> Have Posted (but not acted) > Reava / Nebra
> Are Not Conscious > Colum / Cain
> Have 3 Turns to Take > Kalud / Leshanna

I'm assuming Reava and Nebra were just talking this past round, though if they do want to take combat-relevant actions, they can double up in the new round. And I know Drone was going to be traveling until this coming weekend, but has anybody seen/heard from Brewsuke or DaemonWyrm lately?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
So, what's Bastion's plan? He has Celio, Elizara, Reava, and a dozen or so armed Poors at his disposal. Meanwhile, the other 3 Beasts are chewing through the other crowd of survivors.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I feel like I should mention that I'm still around, just waiting for Bastion's plan.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Yeah, same here. It'll take Elizara several rounds to retreat to the point where she's close enough to be protected by the rest of the group.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Sorry, I was out of town from Friday to Monday, so hadn't had a chance to check the thread.

My plan had initially been to get on a horse, and use the 80' or 120' movement per round (plus an infinite ammunition warlock) to just shut down the encounter so that the melee things don't really get to participate. If the commoners are now arming themselves I might encourage them to make their collective hundred attack rolls or whatever to get through this that way as well, will post shortly once I figure that out.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
At the moment, we're just waiting on Celio and the armed Poors to go. Colum and Cain will likely be back on their feet in a couple of rounds once Tharn and Nebra get to them. Kalud and Leshanna can go whenver they wish, of course, though I'm no longer waiting for them, and if Brewsuke or Drone do not show up by the end of the fight, I will assume they have dropped out.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Which Beast are folks attacking? I assume Elizara is Viciously Mocking the one atop the train carriage to the southeast, unless I misread and she's actually going for one of the ones harassing the poors?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I assumed it was the one moving to threaten Reava and Bastion, since that's now the closest one to everyone.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Yeah it was the closest one.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Waador, properly untethering the mount from its harnesses and whatnot will actually take several rounds of actions. I assume you don't care about that, though, so I'll give you simply hacking through all the attachments (and maybe dragging some behind when you move) as an Interaction.

Or you could just hop in the driver's seat on the wagon -- the Animal Handling roll is the same either way, but maneuvering is obviously different when you're pulling a wagon.

Also, they're draft horses and they don't have saddles or stirrups, so you'll have some kind of penalty (Disadvantage?) to avoid being thrown if such a roll is required at some point. That said, the horses are also Vadalis Magebred animals, which in this case gives them additional strength/hauling power and bonuses to avoid getting spooked by ferocious critters in their vicinity (which also explains why they've been happily munching on grass during the chaos, until they were told to do otherwise).

TychoBrahesNose fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 15, 2015

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Waador, properly untethering the mount from its harnesses and whatnot will actually take several rounds of actions. I assume you don't care about that, though, so I'll give you simply hacking through all the attachments (and maybe dragging some behind when you move) as an Interaction. Or you could just hop in the driver's seat on the wagon -- the Animal Handling roll is the same either way, but maneuvering is obviously different when you're pulling a wagon.
That's fair, in that scenario I'm happy to just cut it free of its bindings. I don't think there is anything to be gained from having it tethered to the wagon, unless we were making an escape as a group and all wanted to pile in. It would just result in more difficult die rolls required to avoid obstacles, as far as I can imagine.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

Also, they're draft horses and they don't have saddles or stirrups, so you'll have some kind of penalty (Disadvantage?) to avoid being thrown if such a roll is required at some point. That said, the horses are also Vadalis Magebred animals, which in this case gives them additional strength/hauling power and bonuses to avoid getting spooked by ferocious critters in their vicinity (which also explains why they've been happily munching on grass during the chaos, until they were told to do otherwise).
Noted. I think at the moment the only thing that really matters to me is its speed, though admittedly its endurance might factor in here at some point.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Reava, Half-Elf Warlock, Guild Artisan of House Medani

pre:
Class: Warlock

HP: 15
AC: 12
AP: 5
Init: +0
Prof Bonus: +2

Alignment: True Neutral
Patron: Great Old One
Background: Guild Artisan
Languages: Elven, Common, Halfling
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft

Features:
Awakened Mind
Least Dragonmark: Mark of Detection
Darksight 60ft
Fey Ancestry

Strength: 8 (-1)
Constitution: 12 (+1)
Dexterity: 10 (0)
Intelligence: 14 (+2) (Racial +1)
Wisdom: 16 (+3) (Racial +1) (Prof)
Charisma: 16 (+3) (Racial +2) (Prof)

Personality:
Traits: There's nothing wrong with having pride in your work, especially when you put your all into it.
Ideal: I have fully devoted myself to House Medani. While it thrives, I do as well. When it suffers, I suffer.
Bond: While to outsiders, we appear distant and emotionless, in the Warning Guild, there's a nice camaraderie among those of us tasked with ferreting out secrets.
Flaw: I'm a bit of a control freak, I suppose. Whenever something slips out of my control, I try to get it back in my hands as soon as possible.
Proficiencies:
Simple Weapons, Light Armor, Calligrapher's Tools, Persuasion,
Insight, Investigation, Deception, Arcana, Perception

Equipment:
Spellcasting Focus
Studded Leather Armor
A Dagger
A Scholar's Pack
Calligrapher's Tools
Favored Quill Pen (+1 to Investigation)

Invocations
Agonizing Blast: +CHA to Eldritch Blast damage
Fiendish Vigor: Cast False Life as a level 1 spell whenever

Spells (2 Slots)
Cantrips:
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand

Level 1:
Hex
Illusory Script
Dissonant Whispers

Dragonmark:
Detect Magic
Augment: Mage Hand

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So since we should be 2nd level now, how are we doing hit points? Do we take the average amount listed in the book? Or do something different like roll or something?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Ryuujin posted:

So since we should be 2nd level now, how are we doing hit points? Do we take the average amount listed in the book? Or do something different like roll or something?

Yeah, use the average.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Do we have a good sense of who is and is not still playing? To a certain degree I am trying to figure out whether to take another level of rogue, or a level of warlock, which is influenced by the number and classes of other players. As far as I can tell we for sure still have Nebra, Tharn, Elizara, Reava, Celio and myself, but that's a bit of a weird makeup of artificer, cleric, bard, warlock, rogue, rogue.

Cain has dropped, but Colum, Kalud, and Leshanna are kind of up in the air. Have they said anything to anyone else on the subject?

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Last I heard Kalud was dropping out too, so I think we can assume that to be the case unless Drone changes his mind.
There have been no updates from Brewsuke/Leshanna or DaemonWyrm/Colum for quite some time (nor any posts elsewhere), so I'm assuming they're gone as well.

So indeed it is Nebra, Tharn, Elizara, Reava, Celio, and Bastion.

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
It is probably worth confirming which sources can be used to build our characters on level up, as the underlying material continues to grow in scope. Did you want to keep things limited strictly to Player's Handbook, or use some of the other books that have been released as well?

For my own part I am mostly looking at the Elemental Evil player's companion, as it contains a few cantrips that are a bit more interesting than the stock in the Player's Handbook (specifically referring to mold earth and control flames, for my take). I have also, however, been avoiding posting a formal level up until checking out the Sword Coast Adventure Guide, which releases tomorrow, on the off-chance that there is anything interesting in there (and that it happens to be in scope for use), though.

There is also a fair amount of unearthed arcana being published as of late, although I haven't read through much of it other than the no-spell ranger archetype. Popular opinion seems to be that the arcana is of variable and sometimes questionable balance, although having played a core wizard and core druid I can't imagine they've done anything worse than portent or wild shape.

Anyway just wanted to confirm before I figure out how things look on level up. The only thing it really changes for me is the appeal of Arcane Trickster vs. Assassin on the rogue side, and potentially which patron is more interesting on the warlock side, depending on what is in the book release tomorrow.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I like the additional creativity that can come out of supplemental books, but I also tend to abhor the inevitable power creep. I have no idea if they'll get things right with this edition of the game, but for now I'll default to allowing any non-Core mechanical effects that you want to use. Just let me know that you're using a splat book/Unearthed Arcana, and be ready to dial it back if, upon further review, the effect seems overpowered or unbalanced.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Do Celio or Reava have any particular goal they're pursuing in their interactions with the Phiarlans? Or have you accomplished it already? More back-and-forth is fine, but I don't want to just exchange witty banter when we can be making progress as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Hey sorry for my lack of posting. School got hectic and my depression kicked back into gear at the worst time. As for what Reava's trying to get out of the conversation, mostly information, but she'll err on the side of caution considering they've offered her a job.

• Locked thread