Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I should have known better than to think this show wouldn't immediately rattle through with its plot. The rescue scene was one of the best things this show's ever done, really tense and the music was beautiful. Fitz is the bravest guy in the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ashpanash posted:

Ok. Like, yes, it perked my ears up too, but I let it go just as quick. This isn't CSI we're talking about. This is people aboard some sciency-magic anti-gravity plane with open-air holograms, low-symptom paralyzing toxin, directed energy weapons and superpowers that are granted by chemicals or transferred genetically by some sort of metamorphosis.

I mean, what they call "carbon dating" could be something totally different. It probably would have been, but they referred to it as "carbon dating" because it's an easy shortcut to understanding for most people watching. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I feel the same way about that line as I do Prometheus - if your technobabble doesn't make sense, don't put it in your show.

It also saves valuable lines. They could have just had Fitz say "the sand's old, older than earth" and rolled with it. Who cares how he knows that, he's Fitz.

Also if you had told me that he'd be a thread favourite at any point in S1, or even most of S2 I would have called you a liar. Back in 0-8-4 my insides clenched in fear when they introduced awkward bumbling British science duo. Now look at him!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fitz has been like fan fav number 2 since day one.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Nah Fitz and Simmons The Technobabble Wonder Kids were pretty bad early on, mostly because they were both the cliche nerd character except with "Male best friend secretly loves female best friend but she doesn't feel the same way" tossed in for good measure. It also didn't help that a lot of early season 1 scenes involved one of them saying something and then having the other characters literally say "English, please!" multiple times in a single episode. Fitz had that one episode where he and Ward went on a mission where he got to be an actual character for a bit, but it wasn't really until the end of season 1 and season 2 where he really grew into his own and became both awesome and fairly well developed. The stuff between him and Mac during his recovery was really good and splitting Fitz/Simmons up did wonders for both characters.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Gladiator kid grew up to be an odd looking manboy.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
James Hong is a great cast choice as May's dad. Hopefully, he will be in more than one episodes.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Also he just rescued a Skrull, calling it now.

The only issue with that is that if Simmons is a Skrull, poor Fitz will never get the real one back.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I don't know how else to say this but if Ward doesn't start wearing a skull mask and calling himself Tony Masters soon I am going to lose my poo poo

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So why were the inhumans scared shitless of this thing? It seems awfully easy to avoid, just put it in a hole, and don't fall it. It didn't even affect Daisy because she was inhuman, it was just being specially attuned to sound and standing inside the world's largest subwoofer that got her.

I'm assuming Asgardian dude told Colson all he knew about Inhumans and Kree so that Colson can reveal it later at the most dramatic moment.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mokinokaro posted:

The only issue with that is that if Simmons is a Skrull, poor Fitz will never get the real one back.

People have come back from being replaced by skrulls before. If this isn't the real Simmons we have reason to believe the real Simmons may be alive based on the season premiere.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Does Marvel Studios have the TV rights to use Skrulls?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Except for Super Skrull and a couple other individuals, yes.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ded posted:

Turns out, we are standing inside the worlds largest sub woofer.

:smug: yeeeeeaaaahhh

Best line of the episode

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wasn't sure about adding blonde mop-haired fratboy as evil Hydra but there's something about his face and eyes that looks really unsettling so I'm on board with it now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

People have come back from being replaced by skrulls before. If this isn't the real Simmons we have reason to believe the real Simmons may be alive based on the season premiere.

I mean that the real Simmons would still be on the alien planet without SHIELD being able to reach her.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Wasn't sure about adding blonde mop-haired fratboy as evil Hydra but there's something about his face and eyes that looks really unsettling so I'm on board with it now.

Ward brought him tacos which is exactly what Garrett did with Ward.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Ward brought him tacos which is exactly what Garrett did with Ward.

Always two there are, no more, no less. A master, and an apprentice

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

Always two there are, no more, no less. A master, and an apprentice

But Yoda we just killed one of them so there's either one now, or there's still two but if there's still two that means there were three before. You're drunk Yoda.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

greatn posted:

But Yoda we just killed one of them so there's either one now, or there's still two but if there's still two that means there were three before. You're drunk Yoda.

There was nothing wrong with what Yoda said. They'd already identified Maul as a Sith. Yoda was just saying that there is always two. There's another one out there.
"Always two there are, no more, no less. A master, and an apprentice" was followed by something like "But which one was killed? The master or the apprentice?"

Why am I defending that movie?

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

AbstractNapper posted:

James Hong is a great cast choice as May's dad. Hopefully, he will be in more than one episodes.

I have no idea why, but I was under the distinct impression that he had died years ago. You can imagine my surprise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AbstractNapper posted:

I hope there's a scene where Hydra track down MayDad and he goes "You know, my daughter gets her spying skills from her mother ... but she learned her martial arts from me" and Mr Miyagis the poo poo out of them. :allears:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

I mean that the real Simmons would still be on the alien planet without SHIELD being able to reach her.

They're hanging out with an asgardian right now, they're buddies with another asgardian, in a pinch they could call in the prince of asgardians, and, budget allowing, she could get rescued by a asguardian of the galaxy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

greatn posted:

Also he just rescued a Skrull, calling it now.

Yeah, what happened to her forehead cut? It's missing.

Mokinokaro posted:

If Constance Zimmer's part of some secret organisation with ties to NASA... just saying...

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 7, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Have we seen any cows?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cocks Cable posted:

I hope that isn't the end of the monolith story considering how important that made it seem. Too many unanswered questions and now its destroyed :( Where does it go? How did Simmons survive 3 months there? Did anyone else see a shadow of someone else in the storm? Why was that secret society they sending people through it? Looks like they carried a message with them.

It's very unlikely Simmons is just back and everything's fine.

They're going to go into what she saw there. She was there for months.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Isn't Thor on Earth now anyway?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Guhh can someone do comparison screencaps? This is gonna bug me now, especially since they made it a point to focus on her covering up the cut with dirt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dexo posted:

Isn't Thor on Earth now anyway?

He leaves at the end of AoU.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

Guhh can someone do comparison screencaps? This is gonna bug me now, especially since they made it a point to focus on her covering up the cut with dirt.

The dirt healed it. Obviously.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The dirt healed it. Obviously.

I needs some of dat sweet space dirt

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

She's not a Skrull. She said Fitz's name, for crying out loud.

I also hope Mr. May meets Hawkeye.

"Hello, Mr. Burton."
"Uh, it's Barton."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Codependent Poster posted:

LOST hosed a lot of people up, man.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Codependent Poster posted:

I also hope Mr. May meets Hawkeye.

"Hello, Mr. Burton."
"Uh, it's Barton."

Maybe that's just the name the filthy skrull picked up from Simmons screaming Fitz's name.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought Skrulls came programmed with the memories of whoever they shapeshifted to take over.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phylodox posted:

They're hanging out with an asgardian right now, they're buddies with another asgardian, in a pinch they could call in the prince of asgardians, and, budget allowing, she could get rescued by a asguardian of the galaxy.

They'd have to consult Heimdall or get the Kree to check their records, there'd be no other way to find her. If they can't ask Heimdall or the Kree then even if they knew which of the nine realms she was in, and which galactic cluster within that realm, and which of the billions of solar systems and which planet, it'd still be pretty difficult to pinpoint even her approximate location on an entire planet.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

It's so obvious.

The Skrull found Gemma when she was teleported there. This is how she survived there for six months without food or water. While bonding Gemma prattled on about how her boy Fitz was gonna come find her. The Skrull takes the opportunity to learn everything it can about Gemma so it can mimic her perfectly. Once it feels ready it shapeshifts into Gemma and cuts her so it can replicate her blood if necessary. Gemma escapes, magic dirts the cut and this is the thing she's running from in the season opener. The Skrull sees the flare and goes to Earth with Fitz.

Also, by Skrull I mean shapeshifting Inhuman. Believe what you want, Skrulls on this show are not happening until/unless they're introduced in the films (which Feige did hint could happen earlier than 2018, to be fair.)

Furthermore the Monolith only chose to open for the Society of Old Brits and Gemma, ergo it melts at the sound of sexy accents. It didn't open for Fitz because gently caress Scotsmen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

He leaves at the end of AoU.

Please, he's totally dropping by every other day for a booty call on the down-low.

I thought there was going to be a Jane Foster reference when they mentioned needing a wormhole expert, but apparently not.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VDay posted:

Nah Fitz and Simmons The Technobabble Wonder Kids were pretty bad early on, mostly because they were both the cliche nerd character except with "Male best friend secretly loves female best friend but she doesn't feel the same way" tossed in for good measure. It also didn't help that a lot of early season 1 scenes involved one of them saying something and then having the other characters literally say "English, please!" multiple times in a single episode. Fitz had that one episode where he and Ward went on a mission where he got to be an actual character for a bit, but it wasn't really until the end of season 1 and season 2 where he really grew into his own and became both awesome and fairly well developed. The stuff between him and Mac during his recovery was really good and splitting Fitz/Simmons up did wonders for both characters.

Everything you said is the truth.

Fitz/Simmons felt like the same character just doubled for ages. Massive improvement, like much of the show.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Heathen posted:

It's so obvious.

The Skrull found Gemma when she was teleported there. This is how she survived there for six months without food or water. While bonding Gemma prattled on about how her boy Fitz was gonna come find her. The Skrull takes the opportunity to learn everything it can about Gemma so it can mimic her perfectly. Once it feels ready it shapeshifts into Gemma and cuts her so it can replicate her blood if necessary. Gemma escapes, magic dirts the cut and this is the thing she's running from in the season opener. The Skrull sees the flare and goes to Earth with Fitz.

Also, by Skrull I mean shapeshifting Inhuman. Believe what you want, Skrulls on this show are not happening until/unless they're introduced in the films (which Feige did hint could happen earlier than 2018, to be fair.)

Furthermore the Monolith only chose to open for the Society of Old Brits and Gemma, ergo it melts at the sound of sexy accents. It didn't open for Fitz because gently caress Scotsmen.

Jemmas accent is demonstrably not sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Heathen posted:

It's so obvious.

This all checks out.

Honestly though if she is a Skrull and it breaks my boy Fitz's heart again I won't be able to take it.

• Locked thread