Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Toadvine posted:

depends what the church has on him.

I assume thats why celebrities stay despite the blatant crock of poo poo that is scientology. the church goes to great lengths to dig up dirt on their critics, and they must do the same for high profile members to deter defectors.

there's probably some truth to this, but also it's a web of powerful/influential ppl in hollywood so it was once a great way to get a job in the business. there was not only incentive to participate, but disincentive to refuse.

the internet will probably make scientology lose a lot of its hold over that community, as high profile people break away and use the media machine to generate sympathy for their brainwashing; before people knew what scientology was, the church would have had much more leverage but now that it's pretty well known as an evil crackpot organization i think any concentrated attacks it might try to mount would be answered by public support for their targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

xsuperkidx posted:

True, the clothing did look like the civilian clothing.

It could have always been the military that did the attack and blamed the bugs. Its kind of weird that there is that wide angle external surveillance shot of the base before it is attacked. Its almost like a recon video.

there's no real reason to trust any of the "footage" you see in the film, any more than you should trust a third person narrator just because it seems to know what's going on, in a work designed specifically to get you to question what you're told.

on the other hand, baseless speculation of this kind doesn't result in the film having a markedly different impact on the viewer, so it's kinda pointless.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Unlike most celebrities Tom Cruise is actually smart and cool, he'll be fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D7WzCDT_0s

if he really pressed charges for assault that's kinda lovely but i do agree with him, that would infuriate me and that guy is a jerk. it's pretty cool that he doesn't curse or anything he just tells the guy straight up, that wasn't nice and you're a jerk.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it's especially lovely to press charges because if you approached a police officer and said excuse me officer this man squirted water on me i want you to arrest him the officer would say "well that's rude but i'm not going to arrest him," unless you're tom cruise.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nomadologique posted:

it's especially lovely to press charges because if you approached a police officer and said excuse me officer this man squirted water on me i want you to arrest him the officer would say "well that's rude but i'm not going to arrest him," unless you're tom cruise.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

nomadologique posted:

remember when joker has BORN TO KILL on his helmet and that officer chews him out?

lol if you didn't already hate joker by that point in the movie you shoulda realized then what a complete loving tool he was

Explain this

What? Joker pwns

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the only admirable chars in full metal jacket are (a) animal and (b) the vietnamese sniper. pyle gets a half hearted (c) but loses half points for suiciding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing about Starship Troopers is how Paul Verhoeven's sledgehammer approach to satire hits you so hard that you miss screenplay writer Ed Neumeier's really subtle satire. Tiny things like the air marshal responsible for the Klendathu disaster being named Diennes, and the landing being analogous to the Dieppe raid.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Arcsquad12 posted:

The best thing about Starship Troopers is how Paul Verhoeven's sledgehammer approach to satire hits you so hard that you miss screenplay writer Ed Neumeier's really subtle satire. Tiny things like the air marshal responsible for the Klendathu disaster being named Diennes, and the landing being analogous to the Dieppe raid.

Do you not include an explanation because you think these references are things everyone will get?

if so; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747012

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Obstacle2 posted:

Do you not include an explanation because you think these references are things everyone will get?

if so; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747012

No, it was just the first thing that came to mind. I picked up on a lot of this stuff after Rob Ager's analysis of Starship Troopers was put up on Youtube. There are a ton of hints throughout the movie. The only time Ironside's character is speaking honestly and not spouting Federation propaganda is when he tells Rico that the choosing what to do with their lives is the only real freedom someone has. It is also the only time in the movie that he gestures at someone with his remaining hand; the rest of the time he shoves his stump at people, calling back to the stifling of human rights that the Federation has imposed on its population.

Or how the singer at the high school dance is pretty much humming "all is well! all is well!" like a form of indoctrination making the people think things are great when they're living in a fascist regime.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree that the movie is so good because it can be earnestly enjoyed and appreciated on several different levels but I also agree that it's really weird to just barrel in here and talk about whatever you're talking about as if it's the sort of thing everyone is already intimately familiar with.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
i still dont know who diennes is i would very much like to go because if this is something that you could draw a real connection to i would find that very interesting

as it stands though your post was irritating

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Obstacle2 posted:

i still dont know who diennes is i would very much like to go because if this is something that you could draw a real connection to i would find that very interesting

as it stands though your post was irritating

Agreed. Closest I got was Diennes-Aubigny, in Burgundy, France.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, actually that's not the best thing about Starship Troopers. Thx tho.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The other good bit is the heroic montage at the end which involves the brutal torture of the captive brain bug.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

ah yes. oh ho ho. very good very good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

etalian posted:

The other good bit is the heroic montage at the end which involves the brutal torture of the captive brain bug.

Speculum, meet my friend Vulva

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that can think offensive!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Frankly, I find the idea of a bug that can think offensive!

Insects with intelligence??!! Have you ever met one?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh god! We're all gonna die!

*gets crushed by giant mosquito*

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ed Neumeier's really subtle satire. Tiny things like the air marshal responsible for the Klendathu disaster being named Diennes

Ed Neumeier's screenwriting skill so strong, that Heinlein named that character Diennes too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

cummin klendathu bug juice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Some of the Sheep posted:

Ed Neumeier's screenwriting skill so strong, that Heinlein named that character Diennes too.

I know right?

Front-flip 360, Rico.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I get emotional (not etalian) when that part comes up. That's when the Klendathu Drop song plays. I've mentioned this before but holy poo poo do I get goosebumps when this scene plays. I have a weird thing for epic, before the big battle, speech, preparation, we're all about to die, LET'S GO!...... poo poo. (Braveheart, LoTR, Kingdom of Heaven, etc.)

Uhg, this whole scene: The drop

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I could use a gif of the lady captain being crushed under the fire-door.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

She later went on to become captain Janeway after dying horribly

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

second-hand smegma posted:

I could use a gif of the lady captain being crushed under the fire-door.

She pretty hot IMO.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hemophilia posted:

You mean Janeway's stunt double who gets crushed by doors?

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

hemophilia posted:

She also is known as Sue Ellen Mischke in the world of Seinfeld.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Uhg, this whole scene: The drop

Watching it in 1080 the effects have aged pretty well too IMO

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i remember when i first saw it, when i was 12, wondering how the heck bugs knew to send an asteroid directly at the earth without star charts or even a rudimentary knowledge of faster than light space travel. now i understand it was all a plan by the evil earth empire. if i'd been brighter it wouldn't have taken me many years to see the truth behind the film.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

etalian posted:

Watching it in 1080 the effects have aged pretty well too IMO

they sure do. did they use a lot of miniatures and composite cgi?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

For all the Starship Troopers 3 fans out there:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KIsv1YOFNys

And remember, top Federation Officials have determined that God is real, he's on Our side, and he wants us to win!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toadvine posted:

The effects team for Starship Troopers is a spinoff from Stan Winston's studio. Lots of high quality puppetry.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

VideoGames posted:

i remember when i first saw it, when i was 12, wondering how the heck bugs knew to send an asteroid directly at the earth without star charts or even a rudimentary knowledge of faster than light space travel. now i understand it was all a plan by the evil earth empire. if i'd been brighter it wouldn't have taken me many years to see the truth behind the film.

Same. Saw it as a stupid teen and took it all at face value. Couldn't really read subtext despite being beaten over the head by it.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

like i know there are psychics but i dont think the evil empire could correctly calculate a one idiot hotshot pilot would plot the perfect course to redirect an asteroid from the quarantine zone straight into buenos ares right after she breaks up with her highschool BF in a terrifyingly final sequence of actions that sever her home life from herself in favor of being a career pilot

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the real secret is that she was a psychic and had been plotting this whole time to wipe out her home town, which she hated.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toadvine posted:

It was a mix but some of the effects like the bug closeups were done with animatronics.

The primary focus space ship scenes used miniatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUpUKAs_IGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvsbQyGxsDs

Effects aged really well compared to some newer pictures like Lord of the Rings that looked like poo poo a few years later IMO.

etalian fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
i took my girlfriend to this

as revenge she made me take her to hope floats

welp whos the fat loner weirdo now

• Locked thread