Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
everyone in phoenix wright is japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ammat The Ankh posted:

hold on buddy what about the very obviously french chef

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh right he was a fraud

man it's been a long time since I played 3-3

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

hold on buddy what about the very obviously french chef

he's not french, he's just gay. easy mistake to make

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Ammat The Ankh posted:

How silly of me to forgot that black people literally don't exist in Japan.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Come on guys, Marlon Rimes is really obviously a black man. In fact it looks like they designed his face to be pretty unambiguous about that.

I can understand why you'd think he's a racist character, and usually I'd agree, but I have to give them a pass on this one. You aren't supposed to think negatively of him because he raps or anything and hell, they even made his character sympathetic by the end (which they usually gently caress up on).

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kay Kessler posted:

I was looking to see if Hiimdaisy had made any more AA comics, and it turns out she really, really hates Duel Destinies. Like it's one of her most hated games ever. She even hates the DLC case too because ... apparently it's racist? :psyduck:

i respect gigi's webcomic ability but i think her taste in games is poo poo.

also: marlon is stereotypical but not racist, i'd say. he's basically a punch-out character; marlon is to black japanese guys as super macho man is to americans, and both of them are totally awesome

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Momomo posted:

Come on guys, Marlon Rimes is really obviously a black man. In fact it looks like they designed his face to be pretty unambiguous about that.

Ikuya Itsuka was designed to look like a certain type of Japanese rappers, who do tend to imitate the stereotypical mannerisms and looks of American black rappers. He was most certainly not designed to in fact be black.

But there's not much the series' translation strategy could do about it giving off (a different set of) racist connotations without completely redesigning the character.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Plom Bar posted:

The foreign population of Japan is around ~2% of the total population and about a third of that is people who aren't Korean or Japanese, and of that there's a tiny fraction that are black.

It's not quite at that level, but it's close.

I thought the case hiimdaisy really hated was case 5-3?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 8, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

orenronen posted:

Ikuya Itsuka was designed to look like a certain type of Japanese rappers, who do tend to imitate the stereotypical mannerisms and looks of American black rappers. He was most certainly not designed to in fact be black.

marlon rimes is to japanese rappers as super macho man is to americans, then

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
or... wait is ikuya itsuka to japanese rappers as marlon rimes is to american rappers as super macho man is to americans?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don't know if marlon rimes is a black person or a japanese person with an aquarium tan, but I do know his game is apparently ridiculous

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the point is he's awesome & cool, much like all characters in that case, which is a great case

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
hell, great game

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The foreign population of Japan is around ~2% of the total population and about a third of that is people who aren't Korean or Japanese, and of that there's a tiny fraction that are black.

It's not quite at that level, but it's close.

I thought the case hiimdaisy really hated was case 5-3?

Yeah, no, she thought the whole game was pretty poo poo.

What about Ray from AAI2? Like obviously he was supposed to be Japanese, but I have this suspicion that he was designed so he could be read as a light skinned black guy in the English version.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

In a total of four years living in Japan, in both Tokyo and Kyoto, I believe I've seen a black person who was also obviously (part-)Japanese exactly once, and he was 5 years old. I see black people who aren't (visibly) Japanese more often, but still relatively rarely.

We're talking about a seriously homogenic country here, and anything that isn't part of that would probably not go without comment from the cast in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

the_american_dream posted:

Ive read this but dont remember much of anything about him. Can anyone give me a little rundown on this? Preferably in non web comic form

It's been a while, so I can't cite everything, but

* Having the ability to prove his attorney didn't forge evidence (IIRC), but not speaking up.
* Abandoning his daughter to avoid a guilty verdict.
* Punching Spark Brushel repeatedly just because.
* Returning after ruining Phoenix's life to take away his new source of income while he's still raising his daughter.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

orenronen posted:

In a total of four years living in Japan, in both Tokyo and Kyoto, I believe I've seen a black person who was also obviously (part-)Japanese exactly once, and he was 5 years old. I see black people who aren't (visibly) Japanese more often, but still relatively rarely.

So we're all in agreement then that there are in fact black people in Japan

Lord sweet christ almighty

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There basically aren't. I think you're overestimating what <1% is, because it's not even what you would call a minority, it's that rare.

mycot fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 8, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

quote:

*suspicious people is playing*

phoenix: heya, witness. i've had a long day, so could you please tell me about the scene of the crime?

laim r. auffle: marlon is a problematic stereotype *heavy breathing* and don't even get me started on robin... destruct all crapcom bastards...

athena: that's not about the scene of the crime at all!

phoenix: no athena... no it's not

apollo: *in the distance* i'm fine thanks for asking

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

orenronen posted:

We're talking about a seriously homogenic country here, and anything that isn't part of that would probably not go without comment from the cast in the game.

How many magical spirit mediums have you met?

Statistics don't really matter when we're talking about a fictional game here. It's not like Capcom is unaware black people exist or something.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Street Fighter is probably the most diverse video game ever.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I will say that I don't really see what everyone loves about Dual Destinies as a whole, but the Colgate Zeus and Aquarium cases both own.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

So we're all in agreement then that there are in fact black people in Japan

There are, but - as I said in the line you didn't quote - because they're very rare if that character was meant to be black the other characters would comment on it, which they don't. Since he doesn't speak in gaijin-speech if he was meant to be both black and not Japanese they would also comment about how surprisingly perfect his Japanese is, which they also don't.

Edit:

Momomo posted:

How many magical spirit mediums have you met?

Statistics don't really matter when we're talking about a fictional game here. It's not like Capcom is unaware black people exist or something.

I've seen a lot of shinto miko girls, it's just that they can't speak to ghosts in the real world.

The games have never pretended it exists in a version of Japan with a different racial distribution than the real world, and in fact often display evidence that they don't.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 8, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

orenronen posted:

There are, but - as I said in the line you didn't quote - because they're very rare if that character was meant to be black the other characters would comment on it, which they don't. Since he doesn't speak in gaijin-speech if he was meant to be both black and not Japanese they would also comment about how surprisingly perfect his Japanese is, which they also don't.

Hahahaha, wow. Okay. So the only possible way for a black person to exist in this game is if everyone makes a big deal about his skin color and how well-spoken he is.

Hahaha. Okay. Amazing.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Hahahaha, wow. Okay. So the only possible way for a black person to exist in this game is if everyone makes a big deal about his skin color and how well-spoken he is.

I have both played enough Japanese games in the original language and lived in this country and culture for enough time to know that while it's not impossible, it's certainly as improbable as it gets. The same is true for any foreign character, by the way.

In fact, I would say the same about my home country, where I lived the other 30+ years of my life, and over there black people, while still rare, are much more prevalent than they are in Japan.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There's no real point in arguing this any further, to be honest. There's no reason a black guy should be a "thing" they have to make a point of showing, but people insist on throwing statistics around.

Pureauthor posted:

I will say that I don't really see what everyone loves about Dual Destinies as a whole, but the Colgate Zeus and Aquarium cases both own.

I don't know if I "love" Dual Destinies, but the main reason I like it is because they proved they can write a decent game after the failure that was Apollo Justice. It was a mid tier game overall, but I was expecting a really bad one.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

orenronen posted:

I have both played enough Japanese games in the original language and lived in this country and culture for enough time to know that while it's not impossible, it's certainly as improbable as it gets. The same is true for any foreign character, by the way.

In fact, I would say the same about my home country, where I lived the other 30+ years of my life, and over there black people, while still rare, are much more prevalent than they are in Japan.

I'm not even doubting you, it's just really loving funny to me. We're in a version of Japan Los Angeles Japan where criminal trials are mandated to be settled in a maximum of three days, where no one questions a whole family of women able to take the form of the deceased, where parrots, walkie-talkies, and orcas can give admissible testimony in court, but a black person???? With good diction???????????? That's a bridge too loving far.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

It's really good and most of the new characters are cool or at least the important ones are, and also it has great music.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

I'm not even doubting you, it's just really loving funny to me. We're in a version of Japan Los Angeles Japan where criminal trials are mandated to be settled in a maximum of three days, where no one questions a whole family of women able to take the form of the deceased, where parrots, walkie-talkies, and orcas can give admissible testimony in court, but a black person???? With good diction???????????? That's a bridge too loving far.

I think Orenronen is suggesting that is far more likely that Rimes was just designed as a caricature of rappers and not really meant to be perceived as Black due to Japan's overwhelmingly Homogenous population.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Look I don't actually give a rat's rear end what Capcom's intentions were or weren't all's I'm saying is that Gigideedee's reading of that case as racist isn't that big of a stretch.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Look I don't actually give a rat's rear end what Capcom's intentions were or weren't all's I'm saying is that Gigideedee's reading of that case as racist isn't that big of a stretch.

Oh, there are racist overtones there however you look at it (the Japanese aren't exactly innocent of racism here, though it's a different kind of racism). That said, I don't buy the view that says you can critic a work without taking into account the context it was created in and the people involved.

In the case of the English version of DD, that also includes the choices made by the translators, which may in fact be racist in the sense of that reading. But going from there to saying the character was originally designed with that in mind (even subconsciously!) is most likely simply untrue.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

My barometer for determining if something might be racist or not is "how comfortable would I be describing this to a person of color I don't know very well?" and my barometer don't give no fucks about the cultural contexts in which the original work and/or its creators are situated.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

dual destinies was a good game

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

My barometer for determining if something might be racist or not is "how comfortable would I be describing this to a person of color I don't know very well?" and my barometer don't give no fucks about the cultural contexts in which the original work and/or its creators are situated.

I'm black and think Marlon Rimes is a cool character that I would tell all my gaming nerd friends about. Then again, I never thought he was anything but a tan Japanese guy.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I am too, but I was convinced he was actually a black guy (and to be honest I am not sure I entirely buy that he isn't. his face looks entirely different from anyone else). Not like we all have the same opinion on stuff like this, it's a touchy subject.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

I'm black and think Marlon Rimes is a cool character that I would tell all my gaming nerd friends about. Then again, I never thought he was anything but a tan Japanese guy.

One guy I know just shook his head and chuckled at it, and that was about the worst reaction that I've seen. Again, not saying it definitively is or isn't, just that the viewpoint that it is (or might be) isn't entirely without merit.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm surprised they've never made a game about the (unseen) cases Phoenix was surely doing in between the first 3 games, but I suppose that's the domain of the manga.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

dual destinies was a good game

Hell :yeah: it was. I hope AA6 will be just as good or perhaps even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I hope there is less moving the corpse around and more interesting villains with more interesting motives

I also hope for fun shenanigans with the Wright family.

• Locked thread