Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
are people itt honestly defending their team's bad fields lol

never change mls fans. god forbid someone offers criticism about this clearly pyramid scheme of a league. can't wait for terminus fans to pull themselves from arthur blank's anus to defend his honor once someone complains about $12 beers.

i'm glad that every team bombed early out of ccl contention because gently caress every team but my team t:mad:t

also it keeps realistic expectations as to where this league sits internationally tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Hoover Dam posted:

Nothing stopping them from doing simple cardio and body weight routines in their section. 20 burpees for the 20th minute, hop to it.

Also Davy Arnaud retired and all trace of Rev Girls is missing

I don't think your definition of burpee matches the Timbers Army's definition. Also, I think the Dynamo Girls may be gone too. I guess I'll know for sure this weekend.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Fucitol posted:

i'm glad that every team bombed early out of ccl contention because gently caress every team but my team t:mad:t

also it keeps realistic expectations as to where this league sits internationally tbf

It may sound weird, but I honestly don't care about the CCL. It's boring. The quarters are always going to be 4 MLS teams and 4 Mexican teams unless a Costa Rican team pulls a shocker. The group stages are even more of a joke because we send out Los Dos players and destroy teams.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

"we didnt want to be in that tournament anyways" :lol:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I mean yeah, what kind of moron would want to see their team mix up with the best from neighboring countries instead of the historic Lamar Hunt Open Cup?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Don't care about the Open Cup either.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I mean yeah, what kind of moron would want to see their team mix up with the best from neighboring countries instead of the historic Lamar Hunt Open Cup?

I won't care about the ccl until the date is moved or my team miraculously makes it to the finals and then I will have always cared. The timing is stupid and that fact can't be stressed enough.

Also its not "some of the best from the neighboring countries" it's the 4 mexican teams with money and maybe Saprissa if they get lucky.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

SeaTard posted:

No, the Timbers Army gets super mad about the MAC. It's a nice place to workout, but for some reason they get really upset about people exercising and watching the game.

Because theyre rootless proles from the midwest and they don't know anyone who can endorse them lol. Ooh to rub elbows with accountants at Nike that live in Cedar Mill

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

"we didnt want to be in that tournament anyways" :lol:

To be fair, this is LA, who have pioneered not caring about the CCL, the Open Cup, or the first 10-15 games of the regular season.

The CCL schedule is a red herring IMO. I mean sure I wouldn't complain if it got pushed back a month so the quarters were in March, but if fuckin' Montreal can scrape a final through the Herculean effort of actually doing an early travel camp and preparing for games in Mexico then surely the rest of you can manage.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 3, 2016

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I love Providence Park. I grew up running up and down each of those sections of the old stands while playing for the (now) Westside Timbers. I practiced there while it was still PGE Park. Lots of old memoires. I like FieldTurf better than natural grass. Never change, Portland.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Bio-Hazard posted:

I like FieldTurf better than natural grass.

Nice post/username combo

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Don't care about the Open Cup either.

Once in a rare while, we'll agree on something.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Bio-Hazard posted:

I love Providence Park. I grew up running up and down each of those sections of the old stands while playing for the (now) Westside Timbers. I practiced there while it was still PGE Park. Lots of old memoires. I like FieldTurf better than natural grass. Never change, Portland.

I used to not care as much about playing on field turf, but then some articles pointed out that getting tire rubber under your skin when diving for balls is not exactly healthy. I mean I still play on them just fine because they are literally the only option for public fields up here, but yeah.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

SeaTard posted:

No, the Timbers Army gets super mad about the MAC. It's a nice place to workout, but for some reason they get really upset about people exercising and watching the game.

What, I loving love seeing the exercisers smug faces in tears as their bad team losses. In theory at least, it's not really been like that for recent games.

porkface posted:

Most get winded shuffling 5 feet doing Tetris for 30 seconds.

I'm at least no better at pogoing. I am a fat lazy goon with a too high BMI after all.

E: Also, I was pretty meh about this season but seeing my frenemies in this thread posting has me a little hype.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 3, 2016

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I wish The River End would pogo or bounce or do something other than a semblance of half hearted clapping and trailing off of chants after the third round of them. Maybe I'll steal a capo badge and plant myself between sections this season.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

"the exercisers"

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I have this crazy thing where I like my team and i like to see them do well in competitions, I think its weird you all are too cool to care about the CCL

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Maybe if good teams from the MLS went to the CCL instead of mid/bottom table trash like RSL and LAG it would be better

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Maybe if good teams from the MLS went to the CCL instead of mid/bottom table trash like RSL and LAG it would be better

Agreed. Perennial bottom dwellers the mighty Quakes should go instead. Perhaps they'll replicate Montreal's run to the finals.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I have this crazy thing where I like my team and i like to see them do well in competitions, I think its weird you all are too cool to care about the CCL

I would completely be all about the CCL if it was scheduled at a different time, as it stands it's trash.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The problem is that, due to the summer schedule MLS has, the teams for CCL are selected about a year in advance, as opposed to the rest of CONCACAF who qualify the same calendar year as the beginning of the CCL competition. A lot can happen in a year to a team.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress is wrong with you all not wanting to beat the poo poo out of pantomiming Mexican thieves in CCL?

Also motherFUCK the Galaxy for building a Salvation Army Galactico squad and getting run off the field. All that money and pedigree and DC and Salt Lake do better? gently caress off. gently caress your team of sunbathers and half assers. Break every rule the league has about salary and the best you can do is 4-0 to Santos Lafuckingguna. Suck my dick.

And for all you pissmongers who think playing on recycled tires is the pinnacle of sport, consider that RFK has real grass and it's immaculate. You all should be embarrassed. Now stop pretending your teams are good. They're bad. They're poo poo, Robert. Now start the season so I can stop reading about politics.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you all not wanting to beat the poo poo out of pantomiming Mexican thieves in CCL?

Also motherFUCK the Galaxy for building a Salvation Army Galactico squad and getting run off the field. All that money and pedigree and DC and Salt Lake do better? gently caress off. gently caress your team of sunbathers and half assers. Break every rule the league has about salary and the best you can do is 4-0 to Santos Lafuckingguna. Suck my dick.

And for all you pissmongers who think playing on recycled tires is the pinnacle of sport, consider that RFK has real grass and it's immaculate. You all should be embarrassed. Now stop pretending your teams are good. They're bad. They're poo poo, Robert. Now start the season so I can stop reading about politics.

Yikes, you seem way angrier since you've been off the sauce.

I'm pretty sure we're bound by the same rules as everyone else. We even signed a bunch of old dudes to non-DP contracts!

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I'd rather kill my knees on FieldTurf than turn my ankle on poorly maintained grass. RFK isn't in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle and Portland have rain issues.

DC should have spent some of that money maintaining their field on some points during 2013-14.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Timbers going to win another cup (in comeback fashion again) then blow it all up in time to lose out of the CCL 0-8

(I'm more excited for Sunday so we can close this thread than I am to see my team play. I probably won't even watch the match until Tuesday.)

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Tigren posted:

Yikes, you seem way angrier since you've been off the sauce.

It's important to have fun.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Dallan Invictus posted:

To be fair, this is LA, who have pioneered not caring about the CCL, the Open Cup, or the first 10-15 games of the regular season.

The CCL schedule is a red herring IMO. I mean sure I wouldn't complain if it got pushed back a month so the quarters were in March, but if fuckin' Montreal can scrape a final through the Herculean effort of actually doing an early travel camp and preparing for games in Mexico then surely the rest of you can manage.

Remind me how Montreal did when they played noted Actual Team Club America instead of some Tico team that snuck through to the knockouts?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It's important to have fun.

This is the most important post in any thread.

SeaTard posted:

I have not met a single person who gives the slightest gently caress that you can watch matches from the MAC.

They (the MAC) have the biggest dick in the neighborhood when it comes to development, and are fond of waving it around. So I giggle a bit when they clutch their pearls about something.

Fucitol posted:

are people itt honestly defending their team's bad fields lol

I said our stadium, not the field, is fine. Though I don't really give a gently caress about grass vs turf. If Portland State eventually gets rid of football or gets evicted and we get grass, great. If not, that's fine too.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bio-Hazard posted:

I'd rather kill my knees on FieldTurf than turn my ankle on poorly maintained grass.

odd that precisely zero actual players share your opinion

Bio-Hazard posted:

RFK isn't in the Pacific Northwest. Seattle and Portland have rain issues

i'm man enough to admit when i'm wrong. this is exactly like how all the clubs in england have artificial turf. because of the rain.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah I'm a Sounders fan who grew up in Olympia and gently caress field turf. England has the exact same weather as Seattle, and they have pristine grass everywhere. If they can do it surely Seattle can. Field turf in CenturyLink like having a luxury car with a rusted out undercarriage.

\/\/\/For an absolute maximum of 13 games per year unless the Super Bowl is held there, in a season that barely overlaps with MLS. Not convinced.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 4, 2016

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
English teams don't have NFL players also playing on their surfaces though, so there's that.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

MechaFrogzilla posted:

\/\/\/For an absolute maximum of 13 games per year unless the Super Bowl is held there, in a season that barely overlaps with MLS. Not convinced.

Preseason football start mid August, so that's about 1/3 of the (regular) season overlapping.

I'm not really sure the practicality of it matters all that much though. If the Seahawks want turf they're going to get turf.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone is a cord cutter, there seems to be a promo that gives you a way to watch an unlimited amount of Fox Sports 1 online. When you go to their site - http://www.foxsports.com/foxsportsgo/ - and click Sign In, choose "Watch Now Temporary Pass", you can put in some info and choose Dish network as the provider, and get a free 2 hours. I've been able to repeat this a bunch of times by clearing cookies between.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Xylorjax posted:

Remind me how Montreal did when they played noted Actual Team Club America instead of some Tico team that snuck through to the knockouts?

Yeah, they lost by precisely the same score Seattle did on aggregate but, fittingly, they did better than Seattle on away goals since they somehow managed to score twice at the Azteca. :colbert:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, they lost by precisely the same score Seattle did on aggregate but, fittingly, they did better than Seattle on away goals since they somehow managed to score twice at the Azteca. :colbert:

They also got CONCACAFed hard as gently caress when that Club America player got away with just a yellow when he blatantly yanked Oduro down when there was no one between Oduro and the keeper.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

CA committed 25 *called* fouls in the Seattle leg, and received precisely 0 persistent infringement cards. It's not why we lost, but it sure would have helped.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Xylorjax posted:

CA committed 25 *called* fouls in the Seattle leg, and received precisely 0 persistent infringement cards. It's not why we lost, but it sure would have helped.

This is CONCACAF/Mexico we're talking about. This will never change and teams shouldn't expect any different. Play the game and get on with it.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
As long as the cartels keep funding Liga MX, and Liga MX keeps drawing the money for CONCACAF, they'll continue to get away with whatever they want to. CONCACAF is a joke, FIFA is a joke, Liga MX is a joke, MLS is a joke, NASL is a joke, USL is a joke.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Xenoletum posted:

As long as the cartels keep funding Liga MX, and Liga MX keeps drawing the money for CONCACAF, they'll continue to get away with whatever they want to. CONCACAF is a joke, FIFA is a joke, Liga MX is a joke, MLS is a joke, NASL is a joke, USL is a joke.

Let's all laugh then. Laugh at our silly league full of self important fans and hard working players. Laugh at the corruption. Laugh when we conquer the world with an army of poo poo cloggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Let's all laugh then. Laugh at our silly league full of self important fans and hard working players. Laugh at the corruption. Laugh when we conquer the world with an army of poo poo cloggers.

I love my poo poo league and I love my poo poo team with our goofy rear end poo poo players.

• Locked thread