Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
shazam!

I wonder if Katie has any good tips for managing plum trees that are determined to spread suckers all over the garden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
PM: 'Gove is after my nuts.'

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

LemonDrizzle posted:

shazam!

I wonder if Katie has any good tips for managing plum trees that are determined to spread suckers all over the garden.
maybe he's not quite as stupid as he looks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

maybe he's not quite as stupid as he looks

There are three people in that headline to whom "looks stupid" could apply so you're going to have to be more specific.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here
If there is some tax cut coming in the budget, I want to find out how much I'm going to be better off and donate that amount to something disability related, what's the best option there?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait, how is Gove a Maoist? Has he been fomenting agrarian revolution and radical anti-imperialism through a variant of Marxism-Leninism all along while I've not been paying attention?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Wait, how is Gove a Maoist? Has he been fomenting agrarian revolution and radical anti-imperialism through a variant of Marxism-Leninism all along while I've not been paying attention?

Nah, he just fantasises about destroying history as an academic subject and sentencing intellectuals to indentured labour.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well what do you need for agriculture? poo poo!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Typo, should say "Gove is moist" cos he's a drip.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

EmptyVessel posted:

Typo, should say "Gove is moist" cos he's a drip.

There's also that whole "let thousand flowers bloom" 'gaffe' that Boris Johnson made about London administration that doesn't support his stance on the referendum (after getting caught out with his letter).

Along with McDonnell it's almost like Mao is in the vogue right now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mao never stopped being vogue, comrade.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why is Boris the Pfeffel pro Brexit anyway?

I always figured that he was closer to the big business market liberal side of the Tory party than the frothing nationalist side.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Why is Boris the Pfeffel pro Brexit anyway?

I always figured that he was closer to the big business market liberal side of the Tory party than the frothing nationalist side.

Because he wants the Tory leadership, and that means playing to the frothing nationalists and making Cameron's life hell.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I'm assuming it's because one way or another he feels that's the way the wind is blowing, either within the corridors of power, nationally, or both. Or someone's blackmailing him.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

So the latest ComRes monthly poll is out!

Let's look at the headline figures:

CON 38%(-3)
LAB 29%(+2)
LDEM 7%(-2)
UKIP 16%(+1)
GRN 4%(+1)

Could be worse, considering ComRes always posts the worst figures for Labour out of any major company thanks to new 'socio-economic' weighting. For comparison purposes the non-weighted pure data has Labour on 29% and the Cons on 31%.

So the Con lead has apparently shrunk 5 points in the last month, making these the best numbers ComRes has posted for Labour since the last election.

In other news, more people think George Osborne is doing a bad job as Chancellor (41%) than a good job (31%), but Cameron & Osborne have a 16 point lead over Corbyn & McDonnell on which pair people would trust to run the country’s economy (45% to 29%). Full tabs here.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Brutal, surely this is the end for Corbyn

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it's not a good poll, but it's a better one. hopefully it helps convince certain forces within the PLP that burning down the party to get rid of him is unnecessary, though it bears mentioning that the tories really are tearing themselves apart at the moment

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

as the EU ref comes up, expect labour and UKIP to poll better at the expense of the tories and lib dems. it might very well then gently bleed off before the next election, though it may be that corbyn can capitalise on it

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

V. Illych L. posted:

it's not a good poll, but it's a better one. hopefully it helps convince certain forces within the PLP that burning down the party to get rid of him is unnecessary, though it bears mentioning that the tories really are tearing themselves apart at the moment

That would require those forces to be acting objectively instead of merely railing against any changes to the system that favoured them

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jabby posted:

So the Con lead has apparently shrunk 5 points in the last month, making these the best numbers ComRes has posted for Labour since the last election.
No they aren't - ComRes had a poll with Labour on 32% to the Tories' 37% in January: http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Daily-Mail_Political-Poll_25th-Jan-2016.pdf
Also, their most recent poll before this one had the Tories on 38% and Labour on 31%: http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Daily-Mail_Political-poll_22February-2016.pdf

The swing quoted by the Indy is the swing since the last poll that was commissioned by the Indy (which was remarkably bad for Labour) rather than since the last poll ComRes conducted.

e: it's kind of impressive that you linked the full results but couldn't be bothered to look at the huge table on the first page.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's 5% since the last Indy poll a month ago, yeah. That's probably a better comparison than the previous Heil poll since... well I'll let this high quality bespoke graph speak for itself

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

baka kaba posted:

It's 5% since the last Indy poll a month ago, yeah. That's probably a better comparison than the previous Heil poll since... well I'll let this high quality bespoke graph speak for itself

you should probably put the chronology so it shows from left to right, accurately capturing the gentle downward trend of Labour to the benefit of the tories

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

V. Illych L. posted:

you should probably put the chronology so it shows from left to right, accurately capturing the gentle downward trend of Labour to the benefit of the tories

Ehhhh I should probably do a lot of things! This is less offensively bad, I can't be bothered working out how to flip the data though

It makes the point anyway, each paper's poll has a consistent fingerprint so you can't just compare one to the next. Unless public opinion really does veer wildly every two weeks and then right back again

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It really depends on how many migrants have torn up pictures of the queen and used them as toilet paper, stole pensions or ate the queens swans this week as reported in the daily mail or the sun I guess.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Ehhhh I should probably do a lot of things! This is less offensively bad, I can't be bothered working out how to flip the data though

It makes the point anyway, each paper's poll has a consistent fingerprint so you can't just compare one to the next. Unless public opinion really does veer wildly every two weeks and then right back again

Probably better to plot the polls separately then?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Wouldn't it be better to plot separate polls as opposed to purely chronological? This implies a continuous polling when the pollster is discrete.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well that's what Lemon Drizzle was implying, which is the only reason I made that

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Well that's what Lemon Drizzle was implying, which is the only reason I made that

Fair enough, it's just the graph doesn't make it plainly obvious as drawn. I agree w/ your point though.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I don't play by your graph rules

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

When we meet it will be fisticuffs.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Despite Cameron saying individual Tories should support the position they believe is there any chance of him demoting any cabinet ministers if it all starts getting a bit vicious? I can almost see it happening with Gove if the press keep blaming him for the Queen thing anyone giving good odds on the Tories imploding before the vote?

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

Despite Cameron saying individual Tories should support the position they believe is there any chance of him demoting any cabinet ministers if it all starts getting a bit vicious? I can almost see it happening with Gove if the press keep blaming him for the Queen thing anyone giving good odds on the Tories imploding before the vote?

If he does that then he'll lose the eurosceptic backbenchers totally. As much as he likes to crow and act the big man, his majority is thin and it only takes a few small rebellions to scupper him

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
A bird has taken a poo poo on my car windscreen. Final proof, if any were needed, of the catastrophe of Corbyn's leadership

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

e: it's kind of impressive that you linked the full results but couldn't be bothered to look at the huge table on the first page.

Sorry, what I meant to say is it has the best numbers from a ComRes online poll since the last election. The polls they do for the mail and others use different methodology (telephone polling) and aren't really directly comparable any more than they are between different polling companies. Like someone else said each poll had its own distinct fingerprint and you are better off comparing like for like.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Savings Clown posted:

If there is some tax cut coming in the budget, I want to find out how much I'm going to be better off and donate that amount to something disability related, what's the best option there?

If you'd like to do the most good with your money, follow the GiveWell recommendations

http://www.givewell.org/charities/top-charities

and if you're in the upper band, try and set up payroll giving so you don't have to claim back the difference.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
The notion of giving tax cuts to people earning £42k plus a year at the expense of everyone else but particularly the very poor and the disabled is abhorrent, and I'm ashamed to live in a country where the people responsible aren't torn limb from limb by baying crowds.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

interestingly, the way he actually did it during the leadership campaign was very clever, and probably the result of him having people on his campaign staff more qualified than the ones in Labour HQ - whenever some "Corbyn Thinks Outrageous Thing" headline started dominating, they'd just roll out a new controversial and popular policy proposal, effectively using the outraged shock and horror to help maintain the momentum

uh, no pun intended

Well, the thing about announcing policy during a leadership campaign is that only you have to agree with it. If he tried that now, all the Blairites would rush down to the lobby to brief against him and the papers would be full of HYPOCRITICAL CORBYN CIRCUMVENTS PARTY DEMOCRACY TO RULE BY DECREE. Not to mention that he genuinely does believe in democratic policy-making and that process takes a lot of time to play out.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm assuming it's because one way or another he feels that's the way the wind is blowing, either within the corridors of power, nationally, or both. Or someone's blackmailing him.

Ive heard he expects Out to lose but would like those people on his side come the leadership election.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Savings Clown posted:

Ask around locally/look some local charity up and visit them face to face. In my experience that is far more rewarding experience than cutting a check for people in some 3rd world country and you can actually see the positive change you are causing, which will motivate you to keep donating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

Ask around locally/look some local charity up and visit them face to face. In my experience that is far more rewarding experience than cutting a check for people in some 3rd world country and you can actually see the positive change you are causing, which will motivate you to keep donating.

How about you get put in a wheelchair and then I'll come visit you every week to call you a nazi oval office.

• Locked thread