Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
That's good info if I ever play that, or anyone else is/does, but I guess I should have been more specific in that my ideal Watney sim would be First Person and more immersive like TLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I just saw this game Miscreated... seems to be a competently done DayZ clone? Getting Ark vibes from the pictures. Anyone have something to say about it? It looks incredible

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I just saw this game Miscreated... seems to be a competently done DayZ clone? Getting Ark vibes from the pictures. Anyone have something to say about it? It looks incredible

Looks like it had a really rough start, but may have gotten a lot better? I don't know, but if someone wants to bite the bullet, I'd be interested to hear what they think.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah it looks extremely good visually. The user rating of 'mixed' makes me think it probably has a long, long way to go.

Herr Corrector
Jun 7, 2004

In the long run we're all dead.

fennesz posted:

Yeah it looks extremely good visually. The user rating of 'mixed' makes me think it probably has a long, long way to go.

The mixed reviews come from a bad release where they had a lot of netcode problems. That's since been squashed, for the most part. I bought the game after all that was fixed and haven't had any issues aside from bugs here and there, which are to be expected. I would read the more recent reviews for a better idea of the state of the game.

The big con at this point is that there's no stable storage options. You have to snag a vehicle and use its storage which is limited to 10 slots. It's coming in the near future after they finish recoding the entire inventory system that came with Cryengine. I think they said they're pushing a release of the new inventory to experimental next patch.

There's a bunch of other poo poo I could talk about but I'm not a good reviewer of games. I'll tell you that I like it so much I rent my own server. Also, it's on sale for $10 right now.

Lol, I just read the most recent steam reviews. Probably not what I should have suggested. It's full of people with minimal time played complaining. The most helpful section of reviews is more accurate.

Herr Corrector fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 16, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I prefer Rust to the multitude of zombie shooters anyway. It has crossbows!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rocksicles posted:

Wasn't paying attention, and i froze to death harvesting a deer. :(

But now i'm keeping a diary.

I'm reading The Martian and I must say, that diary entry is very Watney-esque.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i know it'll very likely not happen but i wish they'd port TLD to the 360 at some point. the graphics aren't that impressive so it would most likely run just fine.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

skooma512 posted:

I'm reading The Martian and I must say, that diary entry is very Watney-esque.

I haven't read it! I might now.

I did recently watch the film, maybe it rubbed off on me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Finished looting Timberwolf Mountain and getting everything down to the prepper's abandoned cache. :toot:

An interesting and profitable place, but I'm glad to be done with it.

Now to haul stuff to the farmhouse, track down the locations and prepper cache I missed in Mystery Lake, then spend the rest of my second hundred days fishing and occasionally "hunting" (i.e., scaring off a wolf who just killed a deer) in Coastal Highway.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Rocksicles posted:

Watney himself is the real attraction of the book. He's irrepressibly funny even as things explode around him (sometimes literally). If you're an audiobook kind of guy, the narrator on Audible is also top notch - he does a lot of the accents that the various characters have flawlessly.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Rocksicles posted:

You should. Even if you know what ultimately happens it's still entertaining and funny.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
UnReal world is getting a Steam release soon

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

That's good info if I ever play that, or anyone else is/does, but I guess I should have been more specific in that my ideal Watney sim would be First Person and more immersive like TLD.

The Solus Project could be the Watney/TLD game you're looking for.
Or pretty close at least.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
unreal worlds free release came out today

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Hit 200 days in The Long Dark. Fishing seems like something only to be done in emergencies, between the tool degradation caused by breaking the ice (prybars are your best bet once there aren't any more locked containers to open)and the rate at which the line breaks (fishing for more than an hour seems to cause the line to break 90% of the time, and even doing it one hour at a time you'll lose one every couple days). I got the achievement for the 5 kg fish (which took a couple weeks) and went back to scavenging deer from wolves.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Yep. Scaring wolves away from their deer kills is far and away the most efficient way to gather pelts and meat. I've tried to even save the condition on my bow by throwing an (unlit) flare to scare him off but I don't think the flare hitting the snow is loud enough to do it. The torch might be heavy enough but you can't throw it nearly as far.

Oddly enough the best mechanic Hinterland could implement in this regard would to let us throw rocks.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Just put a few hours into Balrum

Seems pretty neat so far. It feels like the Eschalon games mixed with Harvest Moon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I hadn't touched TLD in over a year, so was pleased with the updates. Made it like 22 days on medium difficulty, and was getting to be well set up with tools and clothes. Then I misjudged how cold it was when I took a wee nap and :rip:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh god, just here to mention that if you like TLD, Unreal World will run your life for at least week nonstop when you actually put the energy into learning how to play it. It's everything TLD was, with functional NPCs, animals, a challenging metagame, and more combat.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I see Subnautica is on sale; last I remember hearing about it was that it was a promising game but still incomplete. Has that changed?

Also, how deep are the survival aspects?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Has Project Zomboid been mentioned? Its a pretty kick rear end Zombie isometric game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That used to have its own thread. Haven't heard anything out of that game in years. Is it pretty much done?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Met posted:

That used to have its own thread. Haven't heard anything out of that game in years. Is it pretty much done?

Not even close. It's basically in the same purgatory that Dwarf Fortress is, without a somewhat likable little weirdo at the helm.

It comes out with updates occasionally, but they're all generally disappointing or boring because the game's tag line rarely feels satisfied. It is supposed to be about how you die, but invariably that happens in one of two ways:

1) You get bullshitted by a zombie that was rendered 6 feet away but was actually 6 inches away and it infects you. You then have about 12 hours to have a final murder campaign before the infection consumes you.
2) You get a personal fortress set up in the woods or near a river and you stockpile enough farmland to feed yourself indefinitely on cabbage and potatoes and water yourself on the river or from a sufficient quantity of rain barrels. You spend a month or so digging impregnable defenses until you realize it's all pointless and you quit the game in boredom and disgust.

The multiplayer can be fun at times but generally speaking it's all a low-pop wander match and the non-respawning nature of most of the supplies means that most servers end up in a sort of stasis very quickly.

Really, the game at the absolute least needs a way to detect when you have beaten it and give you the game or to advance to the next phase. If the question is 'how will you die', and you set up a fortress of solitude to wall yourself off from the bad things, it should say 'okay, you got me, you win. now let me tell you about how you died of boredom and loneliness in 6 years.' That's the absolute least. Going forward you can spice that up by saying 'okay, cool, you got me, time skip 2 years to when some raiders or some military remnants show up' or something. And multiplayer as a whole should really take a bunch of pages from Ultima Online's old playbook because right now the absolute best thing to do is to join up with someone who has a pile of books, build a shanty by the river, and then just grind like crazy until you're end game. And then there's nothing to do but go out and fight other players.

Instead they do stuff like the art revamp and the inclusion of subterranean z-levels, which are pointless when the z-levels you HAVE are boring and there's no reason to play the game in the first place.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have no idea how to navigate the new map in PZ. On the old map I walled off the apartments and made a rope to climb up 5 stories to my base. I got bored so I started fighting hordes of zombies in till I got infected.

I think the point of zombie games is losing.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Bremen posted:

I see Subnautica is on sale; last I remember hearing about it was that it was a promising game but still incomplete. Has that changed?

Also, how deep are the survival aspects?

I like Subnautica a lot. The base building is pretty drat sweet and there's a lot of different biomes to explore. Also a minisub and a big gently caress-off huge sub that you can build poo poo in like a base unto itself.

Predators are your main threat and there really isn't many options to combat them that aren't non-lethal. The minisub can be destroyed (brutally fast by a reaper) but the big sub is mostly indestructible.

If you die you respawn though, so survival isn't a massive problem, but it can suck pretty bad to lose your sub all the way across the map along with whatever poo poo you picked up since you last left your base.

Also they add new poo poo pretty regularly. Just recently they put in farming!

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 16, 2016

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
For $12 Subnautica is a no-brainer. I haven't gotten that far into it, but it's a gorgeous game, fairly simple, and I imagine will be a really great VR experience for when us plebs can afford it.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Met posted:

I would write the game off until they finish the NPC update. But that's been "top of mind" for two years so who knows when that'll be done. Devs throw a fit any time someone mentions it so something tells me they're going to give up after a second public meltdown by Lemmy takes place.

It's a pity because I like the game, they just throw out useless updates about art assets or temperature management when the thing that got my attention was the NPC system.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I played an hour preview of The Solus Project, which is as close to 'The Martian: the game' as you're going to get. Pretty fun, and I kinda want to play a bit more now. I was very aware my time was running out and didn't need that pressure as well as trying not to die. I might have to slap some money down for it.

I saw pictures on Reddit of some guy's 'first hour in Solus Project' and he seemed to get a hell of a lot further than I did.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I played an hour preview of The Solus Project, which is as close to 'The Martian: the game' as you're going to get. Pretty fun, and I kinda want to play a bit more now. I was very aware my time was running out and didn't need that pressure as well as trying not to die. I might have to slap some money down for it.

I saw pictures on Reddit of some guy's 'first hour in Solus Project' and he seemed to get a hell of a lot further than I did.

I've heard about that game, is it anything like a proper survival game? I played Biosys years ago which was a Myst-like take on the old Robinson's Requiem games and I've been hankering for something like it since.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
Needs management certainly early game isn't as punishing as something like TLD.

Weather and meteor storms have finished me off more often when i get caught outside for too long.

It's a nice looking game (v synch issues aside, but maybe that's a bone thing) with a story that helps drive it along. Sometimes I find myself hanging round in one place for too long on other games because that's where most of my gear is (TLD again).

Definitely worth a look.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Demiurge4 posted:

I've heard about that game, is it anything like a proper survival game? I played Biosys years ago which was a Myst-like take on the old Robinson's Requiem games and I've been hankering for something like it since.

Oh yeah, you need to eat and drink, stay warm, sleep, etc. There's a tiny bit of hand holding, and honestly, I could have used a little bit more beyond that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Six hours in to Subnautica and I think I'm gonna give it a rest until the full release. Don't get me wrong, it is an absolutely fantastic game and completely engrossing. But I feel like playing it more at this state just robs me of more enjoyment for when they fully finish the game.

That was quite the experience though...especially for someone who generally has a fear of deep dark water.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I love Subnautica after getting it in the sale, but if you want the survival experience farming is way too broken. Just one fruit tree could probably provide all the food and water you'd ever need, and you can put six in a single planter.

If you want the hunger and thirst mechanics to be more than a cursory few clicks every time you come back to base, stick with catching fish and purifying water.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I don't really mind farming being too easy since 1) You need to find a planter and scan it anyway and 2) Fish stock doesn't 'replenish' which means you can actually run out of fish in your immediate area and need to go further and further to get food unless you have a planter.

It would be better if the location of a planter was more random. Actually it would be better if the game had more random generation in general. Even Long Dark changes up what items are located where and can really change your priorities when you start a new game.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

I don't really mind farming being too easy since 1) You need to find a planter and scan it anyway and 2) Fish stock doesn't 'replenish' which means you can actually run out of fish in your immediate area and need to go further and further to get food unless you have a planter.

It would be better if the location of a planter was more random. Actually it would be better if the game had more random generation in general. Even Long Dark changes up what items are located where and can really change your priorities when you start a new game.

Yeah I don't mind farming since you can deplete the local fauna. What I don't like is that other resources aren't renewable. I've seen people report that things like quartz and rock deposits do come back, but I've picked certain areas clean just to see if anything repops. I've yet to see anything reappear. Some kind of mining rig that could be placed on deposits of quartz, salt, silver, etc would be pretty cool, especially if they were deliberately spaced out. That way you end up doing things like supply runs to pick up the output of your mining rigs.

Basically if that was possible and the cyclops could be recharged with relays I'd spend all my time living out of the cyclops and building recharging stations and mining rigs, forever roaming the map as I please. This would be especially cool if the cyclops was threatened by the leviathans and could/must be weaponized to deal with them.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Hinterland put out a big community update post to explain what's going on with The Long Dark.

some highlights:
- pre-alpha footage, if you like that sort of thing
- a map and a name for the entire playable region (Great Bear Island)
- story mode is going to have a bunch of new areas
- "We’ll be returning to a regular Sandbox update cycle."
- the environment is getting an overhaul to be more detailed (there's a video at the end of the post that compares the old and new look, as well as showing a bunch of other stuff)
- more first-person animations (punching wolves) and stuff happening in-game (rather than through menus and simulated time)
- there's a Sandbox Roadmap. it's got spoilers for new content, obviously, but some of it looks pretty sweet (3 that I liked: moose, snowshoes/skis, and NPCs in the sandbox).

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So essentially..."When It's Done."

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm really happy about that. Thinking about games that peaked too early in their life cycle made me fear they'd rush out story mode half finished and everyone would lose interest. Granted, I'm going to play it no matter what, but I'd also like to see a developer that's legitimately doing something very different find success. I'm also glad they're going to actually give us updates on how progress is going and giving us some breadcrumbs in sandbox to satiate our desire for more content. poo poo, even if they added interactive animal scat, I'd boot up TLD as soon as the patch had finished and start searching bushes for turds.

Just like HL3. But hopefully with less mystery and waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

So essentially..."When It's Done."

Seems like they're doing enough regular work on it though. No reason (for me at least) to lose trust yet.