Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

grack posted:

Apparently one of the founder's of the NHL's Substance Abuse Program is being investigated over his care of Derek Boogard.

http://www.tsn.ca/co-founder-of-nhl-nhlpa-substance-abuse-program-under-investigation-for-care-of-boogaard-1.467262

2 years after the complaint was initially filed too. Sports doctors are mostly pretty horrible people it seems. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
tim murray said hes not going to the lottery drawing

quote:

"(The lottery is) going to happen whether I'm there or not, so it's a waste of time," Murray said. "Whatever they do (when) the balls come out, nothing's going to change whether I'm there or not."

doesnt want to go balls out

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues extended Joel Edmundson for 2 years at $1.05M AAV. Good value for a dude who I didn't expect to recover from back surgery.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

fits posted:

tim murray said hes not going to the lottery drawing

doesnt want to go balls out

Just a buncha men going after boys, watching balls drop

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ somehow have two 30 goal scorers (Jenner, Saad) this season, the first time in franchise history. Atkinson is 3 back, so we can hope for a hattie tomorrow or something.

On this team. :iiam:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
if the Jackets pick up one more point tomorrow it won't matter if the canucks win against the Oilers as they will be firmly in 28th place. Otherwise the canucks will need to lose in any manner they see fit.

This would also mean the Canucks would - at worst - pick 6th overall, and this only occurs if all three lottery winners are higher in the rankings than them.

So I fully expect the nucks to win tomorrow, columbus to lose in regulation, and Calgary, Winnipeg, and Arizona to win the lottery spots

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

JawKnee posted:

if the Jackets pick up one more point tomorrow it won't matter if the canucks win against the Oilers as they will be firmly in 28th place. Otherwise the canucks will need to lose in any manner they see fit.

This would also mean the Canucks would - at worst - pick 6th overall, and this only occurs if all three lottery winners are higher in the rankings than them.

So I fully expect the nucks to win tomorrow, columbus to lose in regulation, and Calgary, Winnipeg, and Arizona to win the lottery spots

I've come to peace with this for the past couple months now and I'm okay with it. I want so little hope that there's no choice left but to make huge changes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJ prospect Brett Gallant collapsed on the bench during tonight's Monsters game, rushed to the hospital.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/04/lake-erie-player-collapses-on-bench.html

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

CBJ somehow have two 30 goal scorers (Jenner, Saad) this season, the first time in franchise history. Atkinson is 3 back, so we can hope for a hattie tomorrow or something.

On this team. :iiam:

I was going to make fun of CBJ for just stealing already developed players from good systems but they drafted Jenner/Atkinson. Whatever, CBJ still sucks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

The early 90's Pens owned. They smoked, drank, and won cups. Like the NHL equivalent of a dominant beer league team. I remember Lemieux once saying something like his pre season training regiment was cutting out french fries :v:

Reminds me of the self-appointed theme song of the Astros that Jim Bouton quoted in Ball Four.

quote:

Harry Walker is the one that manages this crew
He doesn't like it when we drink and fight and smoke and screw
But when we win our game each day, then what the gently caress can Harry say?
It makes a fellow proud to be an Astro

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

The early 90's Pens owned. They smoked, drank, and won cups. Like the NHL equivalent of a dominant beer league team. I remember Lemieux once saying something like his pre season training regiment was cutting out french fries :v:

I was watching some Lemieux highlights this morning and was absolutely dumbfounded by just how huge he and Kevin Stevens were on the ice. Crosby and Malkin may be able to move like him sometimes but he could also just push a dude the gently caress out of the way if he had to.
There's not really anyone I can think of that really has that mix of skill and physicality in the league today - it's like if you made a Sid/Ovie hybrid it might be pretty close.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The thing that dumbfounds me when I watch Lemieux highlights is the incredible amount of obstructionist poo poo guys got away with in his time that no way in gently caress would they get away with now. As Sean McIndoe aptly put it, Lemieux spent most of his career wearing one defender like a backpack while another waterskiied behind him. And he bitched about it constantly.

Part of it was that he was Mario loving Lemieux and there was sort of an agreement around the league and with the refs that you could get away with more holding and hooking with him lest he completely destroy the league, but players really do get away with less grabbing and hooking now than they did 20-30 years ago. (I think they get away with interference far away from the puck more, though.)

I'll never forget Mario going completely apeshit on some Caps guy that was slashing his wrists over and over and over and loving over (with no penalties called, of course) and getting thrown out of the Petr Nedved 4OT game in the 1996 playoffs. (Another fun fact I'd forgotten until I looked that game up just now: Sergei ":gonchar:" Gonchar, who would be the #1 defenseman on the Penguins when they won the Cup 13 years later, played in that game for the Caps.)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 9, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

onemillionzombies posted:

I was going to make fun of CBJ for just stealing already developed players from good systems but they drafted Jenner/Atkinson.

6 of the CBJ's Top 10 scorers this year, plus the goalie with the best record, are draft picks? :confused:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
6 of the top 10 scorers being home-grown sounded impressive until I checked and saw that 4 of the top 6 aren't

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The thing that dumbfounds me when I watch Lemieux highlights is the incredible amount of obstructionist poo poo guys got away with in his time that no way in gently caress would they get away with now. As Sean McIndoe aptly put it, Lemieux spent most of his career wearing one defender like a backpack while another waterskiied behind him. And he bitched about it constantly.

Part of it was that he was Mario loving Lemieux and there was sort of an agreement around the league and with the refs that you could get away with more holding and hooking with him lest he completely destroy the league, but players really do get away with less grabbing and hooking now than they did 20-30 years ago. (I think they get away with interference far away from the puck more, though.)

from my viewing of old hockey clips, it also looks like you could just elbow any dude in the head at any time and teabag him and take a poo poo on his chest before skating away and the refs would just nod at you in acceptance, which seems like it would make being good at hockey difficult

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

6 of the top 10 scorers being home-grown sounded impressive until I checked and saw that 4 of the top 6 aren't

I didn't realize Wennberg and Foligno were tied until just now- HockeyDB has Wennberg ahead of Foligno for whatever reason, which had Atkinson leading, Jenner 3rd, and Wennberg 6th.

Having Saad, Dubinsky, Hartnell, and Foligno is nice when you take into account I don't think anybody in CBAS will tell you the drafting record of the CBJ has been anything resembling "stellar".

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
CBJ is garbage why did people think they were going to be good this year?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Well, in my mind, they made the playoffs in 2014, and they put together a good run when everyone was healthy in 2015, so I figured a healthy team would make some noise in 2016.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

tofes posted:

CBJ is garbage why did people think they were going to be good this year?

I think everyone who thought that looked at what Vincent Van Goat pointed out (three good seasons; it's entirely possible they could've been in the hunt in 2014-15 had the whole team not died), the Saad acquisition, and ignored the issue the fanbase had- the blue line needed help. Fans were going "You...uh...gonna add a defenseman or two?", and JD/Jarmo both went "No, this is fine". Obviously, there were catastrophic failures throughout the team which weren't realized until the 3rd game of the season, made even more puzzling by the fact that they were solid in the preseason (with Foligno-Johansen-Saad ripping poo poo up), but the D was Not Good.

They're Bettman .500 under Torts (33-33-8, 74 points in 74 games) and had a winning record under him for a stretch this year until things started to unravel late. Stretch that out over a full season (so, say 3-3-1 when they went 0-7-0 under Richards), and they're at 81-83 (depending on how tomorrow goes); still a hole and a disappointment, but not as completely hosed. If they can build on that next season, get the D playing like a D (and I think Jones helped that quickly), and get Bob's numbers a little better/hope his groin doesn't explode again, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Even if Bob does get hurt, Korpisalo has proven himself to be a solid option to play long stretches.

It'll all become more clear when they win the Lottery and draft Auston Matthahahahahahaha :smith:

Vincent Van Goat posted:

Well, in my mind, they made the playoffs in 2014, and they put together a good run when everyone was healthy in 2015, so I figured a healthy team would make some noise in 2016.

They also missed the playoffs in 2013, their last season in the West, on the last day on a tiebreaker.

It blows my mind being a fan of this dumb team that this is the first time in four years I've ended a regular season disappointed (11-12 was their last losing season), yet it doesn't seem as dire now as it was then when the fear was how badly Howson was going to bungle a trade of Rick Nash.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 9, 2016

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Ginette Reno posted:

Nah... it was just skipping the ketchup on his french fries.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Nobody says '6 of the top 10' unless the other 4 are higher.

It's like when someone says "Top 10 rated", they mean it's #10.

Edit: The CTV guy from earlier apparently said on the radio today that it's indeed Subban on the trading block he was referring to.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 9, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Krime posted:

Nah... it was just skipping the ketchup on his french fries.

Even better.

Re: the Jackets. I think people figured Bob wouldn't be this bad

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Vincent Van Goat posted:

To be a better team when you're healthy the players actually have to be good though.

I forgot they made the playoffs that year, man the east is so bad.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: The CTV guy from earlier apparently said on the radio today that it's indeed Subban on the trading block he was referring to.

On one hand this infuriates me. On the other hand Im doing the Mr Burns evil finger tap at the thought of Chicago getting him for peanuts because Therrien and Bergevin hate him.

Im sure Bowman will have no trouble fleecing Benning for Jordan and Sweeney for Malcolm following the acquisition.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Okay, so yeah, he's full of poo poo. Time to move on to the next town cirque du bad hockey.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

CBJ prospect Brett Gallant collapsed on the bench during tonight's Monsters game, rushed to the hospital.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/04/lake-erie-player-collapses-on-bench.html

Brett Gallant is not a prospect, he's hardly even a hockey player.

"In 47 games for Lake Erie, Gallant had no goals, one assist, 149 penalty minutes and a minus-9 rating."

Dude managed five points in a full season in the Q as an overager.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
My favorite Mike Modano story is that he both babysat and played NHL hockey with Toby Petersen

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Just get it over with, the Flyers

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Oliver Kylington makes his NHL debut tonight and that is a good reason to watch a Flames game.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Zodijackylite posted:

Brett Gallant is not a prospect, he's hardly even a hockey player.

"In 47 games for Lake Erie, Gallant had no goals, one assist, 149 penalty minutes and a minus-9 rating."

Dude managed five points in a full season in the Q as an overager.

Well then he should've loving died, eh?

Today, the Red Wings of Detroit [greatest city on the mother earth] will extend their playoff streak to infinity plus one possibly through embarrassing dual collapses by them and Boston.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

i am the bird posted:

Well then he should've loving died, eh?

Today, the Red Wings of Detroit [greatest city on the mother earth] will extend their playoff streak to infinity plus one possibly through embarrassing dual collapses by them and Boston.

Man, they should build the Joe 2 aka: "the United States Hockey and Basketball arena provided by US taxpayers" in Deerborne instead. Safer, cleaner, and will introduce a more international audience to hockey. It's the smart play.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

tofes posted:

To be a better team when you're healthy the players actually have to be good though.

I forgot they made the playoffs that year, man the east is so bad.

They actually improved slightly last season, with a disgruntled, under-producing Umberger being flipped for 60 point Hartnell and the surprisingly wise Kevin Connauton waiver claim.

Ginette Reno posted:

Re: the Jackets. I think people figured Bob wouldn't be this bad

Bob's been hit or miss this season. He was downright awful to start the season (even admitting he had no confidence), but from the CBJ's first win (his 7th appearance) to the groin injury vs. LA (his 25th), he found himself and had 14 games where he posted a SV% of .930ish or better (10 of those .950SV% or better), only allowing 3+ goals in four games in that stretch. He only played two games before he re-broke himself, then the more recent stretch after that injury he's played to end the season has been somewhat mediocre, with a couple good appearances thrown in.

I listened to a STH Q&A with JD, Jarmo, and Torts on YouTube last night, and Jarmo pointed out the depth in net is stronger than ever before. Anton Forsberg still hasn't figured out the NHL game despite being solid in the AHL, but the revelation this year has been Joonas Korpisalo. When Bob broke, Korpi stood on his head at times (using the same metric, 15 .930+ games, 8 of which were .950+).

Point being I figure they might start him in the AHL next year for development purposes, but McBackup isn't long for the organization, Bob may eventually have a bit of competition, and "How goes Bob, so goes the season" may not necessarily be true into the future. We hope.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 9, 2016

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

My favorite Mike Modano story is that he both babysat and played NHL hockey with Toby Petersen

I know dogfood is expensive but was he that hard up for money?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Captain Internet posted:

Man, they should build the Joe 2 aka: "the United States Hockey and Basketball arena provided by US taxpayers" in Deerborne instead. Safer, cleaner, and will introduce a more international audience to hockey. It's the smart play.

Why don't the Pistons and Red Wings have one arena? I know Auburn Hills is way out of the city in yuppie land but that's all.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Life is meaningless.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shawn Cotureier posted:

At least make it interesting. I'll leave it to them to determine what that means.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

At least make it interesting. I'll leave it to them to determine what that means.

It means the whole thing is going to hinge on tomorrow's game vs. the Isles and it's going to go to a shootout and we are all going to kill ourselves

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Really, if Philly wins your reward is having to watch more flyer games which everyone seems to agree is a bad time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Internet posted:

Really, if Philly wins your reward is having to watch more flyer games which everyone seems to agree is a bad time.

Actually the flyers are very exciting and good to watch

except when they are not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ElwoodCuse posted:

Why don't the Pistons and Red Wings have one arena? I know Auburn Hills is way out of the city in yuppie land but that's all.

I don't know the details but there's basically no relationship between Illitch and Gores (Pistons owner). When the new arena was announced, any discussion of sharing it was shot down immediately. Gores's big thing is that the Palace is all paid off, so he makes a shitload of money out there. He occasionally talks about wanting to move the team downtown but I don't understand how that would happen unless they strike a deal with the Red Wings. There's no loving way they build another sports venue downtown.

Also, have any of you fuckers actually been to Detroit recently? It's not Gotham.

• Locked thread