Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

StoneOfShame posted:

The Welsh are good because they gave us the Manics who made one of the best albums of all time with The Holy Bible.

I find myself listening to "Gold Against The Soul" more often than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dead Goon posted:

featuring Shovel from M People on percussion

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

XMNN posted:

is it your underpants

In your bloodstream.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Tesseraction posted:

is this just an overly long "black people are addicts" joke

Nope they were two separate thoughts I forgot to break up, what your mate did wrong was being black in the vicinity of an older white person, this is a serious offence in some quarters.

General China posted:

Nice socio-geographical analysis, why not take up art criticism and tell us about the good qualities of Rolf Harrises later works?

Rolf Harris' music is piss poor, his art lacking in soul whilst technically competent and he is a child molester none of this makes up for Australia being a right wing hole (I am still not being serious).

XMNN posted:

is it your underpants

Bottom of a pack of a full pack of baccy I good for bags of weed, box of filters with half used tubes of filters on top is good for a couple of wraps of a powder nut only necessary when going somewhere were searches are being done, if you're white and not a teenager your probably not going to get randomly searched unless doing something silly like obviously dealing.

Dead Goon posted:

Its a very good album and probably easier listening than The Holy Bible but the latter is something special.

StoneOfShame fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 12, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

StoneOfShame posted:

Rolf Harris' music is piss poor, his art lacking in soul whilst technically competent and he is a child molester none of this makes up for Australia being a right wing hole (I am still not being serious).
I found his watercolor of the old registry office in Munich quite aesthetically pleasing if lacking in finer detail.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The Holy Bible is one of the great albums

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

I found his watercolor of the old registry office in Munich quite aesthetically pleasing if lacking in finer detail.

I know someone else who did good paintings of Munich...

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Guavanaut posted:

I can't find that particular painting but and I can't believe I'm doing this but the thing about Rolf Harris is that he is a technically hugely accomplished painter and could imitate a lot of styles for example he apes Toulouse-Lautrec quite a lot but compare any of his paintings in a similar style to Toulouse-Lautrec's The Laundress. Look at what he has achieved in the latter the woman appears to have finished work or is in a break perhaps, she stares to the side from the light probably out of a window, she appears to be worn down, her life is hard but there is a determination to her, you can look at her and see lives there, there is a soul, you won't find that in anything Harris has done, that's why one is a genius and the other is just a painter in prison.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Someone on facebook pointed out that as the government holds an anti-corruption summit they've been taken to court over their own iffy failure to submit the receipts for the battle bus at the election.

Heh.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The thing about Rolf Harris is a lot of the images he created turned out to have been indecent. But we couldn't tell until they were almost finished.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
boooo

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

StoneOfShame posted:

Bottom of a pack of a full pack of baccy I good for bags of weed, box of filters with half used tubes of filters on top is good for a couple of wraps of a powder nut only necessary when going somewhere were searches are being done, if you're white and not a teenager your probably not going to get randomly searched unless doing something silly like obviously dealing.
thanks for the tips ;)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/730876315100942336

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they're not really hiding it, the ONS reports it surely, it's almost like nobody bothered looking.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's a thread here if you want to discuss whether being a nonce instantly makes your art less good. Of course it started from a debate about British artists in the 60s/70s. :britain:

StoneOfShame posted:

if you're white and not a teenager your probably not going to get randomly searched unless doing something silly like obviously dealing.
This is what worries me about the forces that have de facto decriminalized cannabis except for 'blatant use'. Because we all know who the blatant users will be.

e: ^^^ It's me, I'm hiding them. In a pack of rizlas.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Pissflaps posted:

I've got a TV license I think it's great value.

Same. The BBC provide a huge amount of services for £145? A year.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean they're not really hiding it, the ONS reports it surely, it's almost like nobody bothered looking.

I brought it up because I heard on the news that immigrants pay more in income tax than they receive in benefits but now I can't find a link to it anywhere, so that'll probably not get reported

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I brought it up because I heard on the news that immigrants pay more in income tax than they receive in benefits but now I can't find a link to it anywhere, so that'll probably not get reported

That's been the case for a while as far as I know.

Or at least, immigrants are a net economic contributor due to not needing state support in the form of schools and healthcare and education until they arrive here.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guavanaut posted:

There's a thread here if you want to discuss whether being a nonce instantly makes your art less good. Of course it started from a debate about British artists in the 60s/70s. :britain:

This is what worries me about the forces that have de facto decriminalized cannabis except for 'blatant use'. Because we all know who the blatant users will be.

e: ^^^ It's me, I'm hiding them. In a pack of rizlas.

people still really enjoy Michael Jackson's music

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

JFairfax posted:

people still really enjoy Michael Jackson's music

As I recall, wasn't Jackson mostly just a weird, stunted dude who did things that would have been incredibly suspect for someone with a higher mental age? Like, the kind of guy who'd invite kids for a sleepover because he saw himself as a kid too. Doesn't seem in quite the same league as a predatory gently caress like Saville.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Darth Walrus posted:

As I recall, wasn't Jackson mostly just a weird, stunted dude who did things that would have been incredibly suspect for someone with a higher mental age? Like, the kind of guy who'd invite kids for a sleepover because he saw himself as a kid too. Doesn't seem in quite the same league as a predatory gently caress like Saville.

jackson totally hosed some children.

admittedly saville was god tier, ordained by the high priests of child loving themselves and spent a life time doing it and got away with it. but jackson totally hosed kids as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also he made really good music.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So if only Paul Gadd had devoted more time to being better he'd be considered more fondly?

Or would he have had to wipe his disk drives too, so there was at least some doubt?

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Holy Bible is one of the great albums

Yep, the evolution/journey/whatthefuckever from that to Everything Must Go and then This Is My Truth... is as well done as any band has dealt with a grievous loss. Up there with New Order post Joy Division.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Yep, the evolution/journey/whatthefuckever from that to Everything Must Go and then This Is My Truth... is as well done as any band has dealt with a grievous loss. Up there with New Order post Joy Division.

Yes, the way they went from quite an exciting rock band to the dictionary definition of Dad Rock was inspirational.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Guavanaut posted:

So if only Paul Gadd had devoted more time to being better he'd be considered more fondly?

Or would he have had to wipe his disk drives too, so there was at least some doubt?

It's easier to overlook it for someone like Jackson, who fairly clearly had serious mental illness problems, than it is for someone like Harris who was perfectly cognisant of what he was doing

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, the way they went from quite an exciting rock band to the dictionary definition of Dad Rock was inspirational.

Well, I disagree.

Reserve that level of scorn for turd juice like Oasis.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Journal for Plague Lovers loving owned though. I'm pretty sure the Manics were at their creative best when they were trying to work out how the hell they were going to write music around Richey Edwards' lyrics.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd say Saville was worse than Harris, who in turn was worse than Jackson. That's just my take on it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I'd say Saville was worse than Harris, who in turn was worse than Jackson. That's just my take on it.

In moral terms or musical terms

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

I agree with that. Where does Gary Glitter fall on the scale though?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In moral terms or musical terms
both

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'd put Glitter on a par with Harris in terms of sheer noncecraft, though I feel more let down by Harris so he just edges it for me.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Keith Harris spent years with his hand up a baby duck's bottom and nobody batted an eyelid. Times have changed.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

StoneOfShame posted:

One time I was queuing up to see a David Rodigan show at the Electric Brixton with 2 wraps of gear in my left shoe and a bag of MD in my right. The bouncers were really serious, checking bags with torches, going through baccy pouches, the lot. I was high as a kite and bricking it but it was too late to leave the line. I got to the front, showed my ticket, promptly got taken over to the search area and almost shat myself. Turned out the guy who pulled me up had seen my Notorious BIG t-shirt and just wanted to ask me what my favourite tracks off Ready To Die were.

Like a mug, I answered Machine Gun Funk and Suicidal Thoughts. They didn't find any drugs but I will never live down those poor answers. All the door staff laughed at me.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

StoneOfShame posted:

Hash in the bottom of a bag of baccy when I was a teen was the only time I've been caught with drugs. It's not that good a hiding spot, if a cop is emptying your pockets he'll have a quick poke through your cigarette box or similar. It is the oldest hiding spot.
Wedged behind the belt buckle is a much better spot. It's easy access if you see them coming and need to ditch it fast, but if you get caught unaware it's a good enough spot that they are likely to not spot it on a pat down.

Though the best defence is down to how you look. If I was ever carrying I'd make sure to dress respectably and inconspicuously.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hmm yes

quote:

Prince Charles has proposed a solution to the growing crisis of antibiotic over-use in animals and humans, telling an international gathering of scientists and government officials in London that he treats his own cows and sheep with homeopathy.

In front of the government’s chief medical officer, Dame Sally Davies, who once told a parliamentary committee that homeopathy in humans was “rubbish” and that she was “perpetually surprised that homeopathy is available on the NHS”, the prince explained to delegates from 20 nations and organisations why he had turned to homeopathic remedies for animals.

“It was one of the reasons I converted my farming operation to an organic – or agro-ecological – system over 30 years ago and why we have been successfully using homeopathic – yes, homeopathic – treatments for my cattle and sheep as part of a programme to reduce the use of antibiotics,” he said.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well, I mean, homeopathic remedies would reduce overuse of antibiotics in animals and necessitate an improvement in conditions.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Well, I disagree.

Reserve that level of scorn for turd juice like Oasis.

I was being a little unfair, they are both totally OK albums with some good songs, it's just most things would seem a drop off after The Holy Bible. I am definitely a fan of it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The Manics are amazing. Oasis are good. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
On the topic of music chat the Stone Roses brought out a new single : https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R0XZ9qjMil8

Not that great

• Locked thread