Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Oh Paul Ryan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?!

Comey gave them a gift wrapped up in a little bow with his announcement speech. I could see inviting him to speak to the committee in the hopes of getting some new juicy sound bites but it seems like they instead want to drag his name through the mud through a congressional investigation.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:lol: Bernie's healthcare plan alone was going to cost a couple trillion.

I being being hyperbolic

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shifty Pony posted:

Comey gave them a gift wrapped up in a little bow with his announcement speech. I could see inviting him to speak to the committee in the hopes of getting some new juicy sound bites but it seems like they instead want to drag his name through the mud through a congressional investigation.

It's almost like they're idiots.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The lesson from all this is that the GOP isn't going to stop blocking the Democratic president when it's not a black guy anymore. They won't move one millimeter until the next Republican gets in.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Paul Ryan is mad no one cares that he caught his big sister in her room WITH A BOY.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:lol: Bernie's healthcare plan alone was going to cost a couple trillion.

I actually hate anytime there's an article talking about the Federal Government wasted millions of dollars.

Millions is roundoff error for the feds. We won't balance the budget by getting rid of all the wasted millions - that's like balancing your home budget by vowing to always pick up quarters you drop.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

I actually hate anytime there's an article talking about the Federal Government wasted millions of dollars.

Millions is roundoff error for the feds. We won't balance the budget by getting rid of all the wasted millions - that's like balancing your home budget by vowing to always pick up quarters you drop.

Hot Take: We don't need a balanced budget.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

That's our Speaker! *studio audience goes wild*

Really, as dumb as this is, I'd be lying if I said it was at all unexpected.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

theflyingorc posted:

It's not the millions wasted it's the time. Time spent, like BI NOW said, that could have been used to do their loving job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Its not a hot take considering the top examples of a GOP balanced budget are states that are currently foundering.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think we need a better budget, but what does a balanced budget accomplish exactly? It seems like no matter what, the federal government is going to keep on trucking. I mean, I guess a couple shutdowns for a few days here and there.

It's not a household checking account. But I don't feel like I'll ever understand every single nuance about how the economy works and how our economy is different than others on the world scale and everything else.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

It's not the millions wasted it's the time. Time spent, like BI NOW said, that could have been used to do their loving job.

otoh, i am not sure i want house republicans doing anything

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'm aware, you'll see me arguing against it in the last thread somewhere, but EVEN IF that was something we wanted to do, worrying about .0001% of the federal budget wouldn't be the way to do it.

DemeaninDemon posted:

I completely agree with this. We shouldn't continue to investigate Clinton, but $$$$$ isn't the reason. Not being idiots is the reason.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Complaining about the millions wasted here is a useful retort when conservatives kick up a huge storm over rounding error level spending on social services

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

No they want him up there saying more stuff like he said in the PC yesterday and maybe even heavily imply that Obama himself pressured the investigation

They absolutely view Comey as an ally in this

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

I think we need a better budget, but what does a balanced budget accomplish exactly? It seems like no matter what, the federal government is going to keep on trucking. I mean, I guess a couple shutdowns for a few days here and there.

It's not a household checking account. But I don't feel like I'll ever understand every single nuance about how the economy works and how our economy is different than others on the world scale and everything else.

It's an economic proposal by Very Serious People, but it's bullshit.

If someone says the words "like your household," in talking about the federal budget they should be garroted on the loving spot.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's an economic proposal by Very Serious People, but it's bullshit.

If someone says the words "like your household," in talking about the federal budget they should be garroted on the loving spot.

Well, my house is full of progressives and people leeching off of said progressives and we're running at a surplus, so maybe they're on to something.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

No they want him up there saying more stuff like he said in the PC yesterday and maybe even heavily imply that Obama himself pressured the investigation

I am not sure that's entirely true, but Ryan is smarter than Trump and his first instinct wasn't to pull Comey directly into it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well I guess we know how the next 4-8 years is going to pan out. Endless hearings investigating every person that failed to find wrongdoing in the immediately previous hearing/investigation. I wonder if they'll even remember what it was all about when she finally leaves office.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well, my house is full of progressives and people leeching off of said progressives and we're running at a surplus, so maybe they're on to something.

Most people don't even keep a balanced budget with their personal budget is the best part.

I mean, it's not like we're a nation of people saddled with crushing home loan, credit card, car loan, or college loan debt!

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

otoh, i am not sure i want house republicans doing anything

Oh totally it'll get veto'd back to the 50s too. Still doesn't mean the house should not do its job and pass a budget (balanced or not).

Edit: Yeah there are perfectly acceptable forms of debt. Like a mortgage or student loan debt. Stuff that you're supposed to get a ROI in. Getting yourself in five figures of 22% APR credit card debt though...

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

A lovely Reporter posted:

gently caress it, surgically implant the body cameras into the cops, then replace their hearts with artificial ones that shut off it they tear out the body cams.

This is an excellent idea. Cyanide based anti tamper capsules might be less hassle though.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Here's the letter they sent him:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/goodlatte-letter-fbi-clinton-emails

Doesn't seem like something you send an ally

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah, giving it the Benghazi treatment definitely just relegates it to the big pile of Clinton non-scandals. If they'd stopped and thinked about how to approach this - attack ads using Comey lines, fundraising, attacking Clinton where she's weakest - but no, they're just going to keep trying the same thing over and over again. The emails will just degenerate into its usual partisan lines and it will do absolutely nothing to impact the election. They've turned a potential win into a definite wash.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Most people don't even keep a balanced budget with their personal budget is the best part.

I mean, it's not like we're a nation of people saddled with crushing home loan, credit card, car loan, or college loan debt!

Well, we all agree that that's bad.

The issue is that MOST of us think that it's bad for the federal government to do that. And it isn't.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Here's the letter they sent him:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/goodlatte-letter-fbi-clinton-emails

Doesn't seem like something you send an ally

Hey, I'd be jazzed as hell if they treat him as hostile, but he seemed pretty mad about the whole thing in his statement yesterday

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmao

The shittiest apology in history from the most venal worm imaginable.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Well I guess we know how the next 4-8 years is going to pan out. Endless hearings investigating every person that failed to find wrongdoing in the immediately previous hearing/investigation. I wonder if they'll even remember what it was all about when she finally leaves office.

Uh excuse me who could forget the cybercrimes of Benjamin Ghazi?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Antti posted:

They've turned a potential win into a definite wash.

Nah, they're doing what they have to at this point. Their end goal is not letting Hillary take the White House - and at this point the party is committed to running a human tire fire. The only plausible way to stop her is to get her to not run. A few soundbites and attack ads aren't going to cut it when Trump is literally running out of minority groups to insult.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

Nah, they're doing what they have to at this point. Their end goal is not letting Hillary take the White House - and at this point the party is committed to running a human tire fire. The only plausible way to stop her is to get her to not run. A few soundbites and attack ads aren't going to cut it when Trump is literally running out of minority groups to insult.

Well, yes. If you read this as the spasmic last breath of a party that knows the November election is as good as lost if they don't do something, anything, then yeah, this is the play. Maybe if you dig long enough you'll turn up with something.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Antti posted:

Well, yes. If you read this as the spasmic last breath of a party that knows the November election is as good as lost if they don't do something, anything, then yeah, this is the play. Maybe if you dig long enough you'll turn up with something.

Plus, you get to describe her as "scandal-plagued" and "under investigation" for the foreseeable future.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

It's a dangerous game they're playing though. They could investigate themselves right out of the majority if they push too far. Though they'll still have their hardcore base convinced that Clinton is guilty of something and they just need to find out what, polling has shown that the majority of voters are getting really sick of this poo poo.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

Plus, you get to describe her as "scandal-plagued" and "under investigation" for the foreseeable future.

Yeah but you can only cry wolf so many times before people tune you out. I mean, it's already basically loving meaningless. If a real scandal did come along, no one is going to even care. We'll just be in our partisan camps accusing or dismissing blindly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the big problem with Emailghazi is that it's just not a smoking gun unless you're already looking for a smoking gun. It's a weird minutia that is difficult for a lot of people to understand and I think even some Republican voters who are not die-hard supercores are at least somewhat sympathetic to the idea that 'email poo poo is confusing and I loving hate our IT guys.' Unless they can prove something significant came of it or find something really big, nobody who isn't already riding the anti-Clinton train is going to hop onboard.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

haveblue posted:

This was always going to be the case.

Even if there had been a one hundred percent "everything is fine! she did nothing wrong!" exoneration, they would've just opened a committee on this. Or something else.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GalacticAcid posted:

lmao

The shittiest apology in history from the most venal worm imaginable.

How does he get around the memo that said "hey the Americans are fixing the intelligence and Bush was just in here spitballing ways to provoke Iraq; better play along though"?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

If only we could spend sometime looking into this:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, like, the fact that the hardcore Fox News crowd is already saying 'She's a terrorist criminal corruption!' and agreeing wildly with the House GOP doing another special Clinton investigation is kinda pointless. Those people are already in the GOP's pocket. E-Mail poo poo isn't going to convince anyone who wasn't already convinced, especially against Donald 'Man I loving love murderous dictators don't they seem strong and cool' Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If only we could spend sometime looking into this:

"He's a felon sex offender, we just need a better victim." -some guy a few pages ago

• Locked thread