Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
You know, this would be a great song if not for me constantly hearing "squad" as "squaw" and making it sound really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The trailers just look like an endless pun fest, which I wouldn't be able to stand.

I'm waiting for someone I trust to see it first.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

When Nick Spencer's 'HydraCap' issue came out, some people were offendedby the depiction of Cap aligning with thinly veiled Nazis, even if it was just a cliffhanger moment that would obviously be undone by the end of the story, even if it had happened before in a Cap story created by Jewish men. I could understand the frustration, even if I didn't agree with it, although "how dare Marvel end an issue making the bad guys look strong" sounded silly in some people's reactions.

Now there's this bizarre reading of a Superwoman cliffhanger.. Solicits for future issues make it clear that, no, the protagonist was not murdered in her #1 issue.

What is the point of reading in singles if each one is going to be treated as its own finale to the exclusion of the rest of the story arc?

Which comic will receive those kinds of reactions next?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I actually haven't seen much outrage. Thank god too, because I'd have bit a bullet if the stupidity of the Hydra Cap furor picked up again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

When Nick Spencer's 'HydraCap' issue came out, some people were offendedby the depiction of Cap aligning with thinly veiled Nazis, even if it was just a cliffhanger moment that would obviously be undone by the end of the story, even if it had happened before in a Cap story created by Jewish men. I could understand the frustration, even if I didn't agree with it, although "how dare Marvel end an issue making the bad guys look strong" sounded silly in some people's reactions.

Now there's this bizarre reading of a Superwoman cliffhanger.. Solicits for future issues make it clear that, no, the protagonist was not murdered in her #1 issue.

What is the point of reading in singles if each one is going to be treated as its own finale to the exclusion of the rest of the story arc?

Which comic will receive those kinds of reactions next?

I don't necessarily agree that future solicits make that clear or not. She dies the same way New 52 Superman did and he's dead dead. I kind of hope she stays that way too as Lana is a way more interesting choice in the role and she's different enough from the other bevy of Super people in DC right now that it's not redundant.

Plus it was just a great shock ending. I mean I won't be surprised if it doesn't stick, but I also hope it does.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Superwoman has insane problems as an ongoing series so far, but the one thing they did absolutely right was killing off Lois Superwoman. I equated it to the end of the Shield pilot, and it's basically the same general idea - build up a character as the ostensible star of an ongoing series while clearly secretly building it to so the character is getting killed off instead, so when viewed in retrospect the twist makes thematic/narrative sense.

Also I decided to buy a ticket to see SP, so trip report incoming.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nobody earnestly writing or responding to the Lois thing has ever read a comic, I'm pretty sure.

e: Or experienced any kind of serialized fiction.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was thinking today I would like to make a new Batman thread. I notice other threads get derailed a lot talking about Batman and considering how much time I spend on a daily basis thinking about Batman I kinda thought it would be fun to do like a nice effortpost OP. Would that be cool with everyone here? Nobody really uses the Batman thread even though it feels like we're always talking about Batman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

I was thinking today I would like to make a new Batman thread. I notice other threads get derailed a lot talking about Batman and considering how much time I spend on a daily basis thinking about Batman I kinda thought it would be fun to do like a nice effortpost OP. Would that be cool with everyone here? Nobody really uses the Batman thread even though it feels like we're always talking about Batman.

Excellent, I will derail your new Batman thread talking about Hal Jordan.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That reminds me of something I've been considering. With the Gerard Way Young Animal stuff, I don't think it's quite strong enough to have a thread dedicated to it, but relaunching the Vertigo thread to include that, and maybe the Hanna-Barbera books would be a good idea.

Also I've always thought a non-partisan comic review thread would be great, but I don't wanna write a review good enough to kick off an OP. Someone make that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Excellent, I will derail your new Batman thread talking about Hal Jordan.

Why would you want to talk about Hal Jordan voluntarily?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Why would you want to talk about Hal Jordan voluntarily?

I never said it would a positive posting!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I never said it would a positive posting!

I can't parse this sentence.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
"I will derail the Batman thread about poo poo-talking Hal Jordan"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So I went and saw Sausage Party. With the caveat that I think This Is the End is the best film the Rogen/Goldberg team has ever put out, I thought SP was...fine. It's, structurally speaking, practically a shot-for-shot remake of Toy Story, but obviously more R-rated, so if you wanna be super reductive "R-rated Toy Story with food" works more or less perfectly. Thematically speaking, it's quite of a piece with This is the End, dealing with the same overall theme of a group of oddballs suffering a crisis of faith as the world collapses around them. The part where I think it suffers is that it plays heavily into racial stereotyping, especially early on, for its humor, and it misses about as often as it hits with that sort of stuff. The reviews calling it "racist" miss the mark, but it definitely feels like it makes a bunch of jokes where the joke is that X food is from Y culture where people act like Z. It didn't feel punch-downy to me so much as punch-lazy. The characters aren't really compelling outside of Wiig's, Rogen's, and Cera's, and all three of them end up split up from each other for the majority of the film so you're instead subjected to hangers-on who definitely do feel like they're a collection of stereotypes, which is where the racial angle is at its most uncomfortable.

It's also a much weaker film because of how on a thematic level it tries to ape the structure of This Is the End without realizing that TITE worked as well as it did because everyone was playing themselves. Exaggerated and more morally complicit versions of themselves, sure, but they were still recognizable as characters, and the arc that everyone in TITE had worked as well as it did because it subjected a bunch of total assholes to Literal Armageddon and forced them to become morally redeemable. The ruminations on faith and atheism worked because it was framing around the idea that no matter how much religion they did or didn't believe in, the characters in TITE were total dicks who deserved what they got regardless. In contrast, Sausage Party takes a bunch of more-or-less good characters and has them realize that everything they believed in was wrong, so it oftens feels like that sneering internet atheism that tries to disprove faith as illogical. Its analogies to religion, which are hammer-subtle, don't really work because it ignores the fact that humanity doesn't have definitive proof of the existence or nonexistence of God, in direct contrast to the characters having conclusive evidence of humanity's malicious desire to eat/kill food.

It had funny moments, and I laughed out loud at least twice, and I do have to respect the fact that the ending is as absolutely loving nuts as it is, but unlike This is the End the characters weren't very memorable outside of the main trio (who end up barely interacting due to the structure of the movie) and its deeper thematic points landed largely with a thud. I would say I liked watching Sausage Party, but that's mostly because I think This Is the End is an absolutely loving incredible movie and I'm willing to watch more of that, but worse and animated. For everyone else I'd say definitely give it a pass, it's not a bad movie but not worth movie theater prices. But if you really really really liked This Is The End, like a whole loving lot, you could do worse than see this movie.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 12, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Travis343 posted:

As a OP for previous Batman thread I say go for it, but you should probably say "No Red Hood" or something because that is the the poo poo that usually derails Batman threads.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Or people should just get over a certain poster and let him get excited about posting every new Hood solicit with an :allears: smiley.
All the trouble comes from endlessly poking at him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair Dark Titsanime steadfastly ignores every single criticism anyone else leverages at the comic or the character of Red Hood no matter how valid or not and routinely refuses to actually engage or critically examine the comic he's obsessed with.

I don't engage with him and I think the endless dunking on him gets super tired super fast, and I think he's got a right to his opinion, but he's absolutely aware of what he's doing and how he's perceived but doubles down on it constantly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would set a rule that only Dark_Tzitzimine is allowed to talk about Red Hood. If anyone else wants to discuss Jason Todd it will have to be about one of the issues where he's Robin.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No dice, that means I can't talk about how good of an issue Batman and Robin Eternal 16 is!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

No dice, that means I can't talk about how good of an issue Batman and Robin Eternal 16 is!

Alright, nobody else can talk about a comic book with Red Hood in the title, then.

Of course we all know Jason Todd never actually came back from the dead, and any panel depicting him as alive is just his own personal afterlife fantasy. That's why everyone acts so wildly out of character when he's around, it's all happening in Valhalla. So it's really pointless to be talking about him anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't know where else to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A045MhxiVMk

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Travis343 posted:

I would set a rule that only Dark_Tzitzimine is allowed to talk about Red Hood. If anyone else wants to discuss Jason Todd it will have to be about one of the issues where he's Robin.

yes please

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Toxxupation posted:

Superwoman has insane problems as an ongoing series so far, but the one thing they did absolutely right was killing off Lois Superwoman. I equated it to the end of the Shield pilot, and it's basically the same general idea - build up a character as the ostensible star of an ongoing series while clearly secretly building it to so the character is getting killed off instead, so when viewed in retrospect the twist makes thematic/narrative sense.

Also I decided to buy a ticket to see SP, so trip report incoming.

Let me know how Salma Hayek's performance as a lesbian taco is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
WickedHate original character update: I've decided Wickidy Weird has an archnemesis named Tyffyni Twysted. I don't have an actual personality or anything to go with the name, I've just always thought that'd make a great thing to call a comic book character ever since I first heard Hotel California.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would strongly urge you all to check out a new Netflix show called The Get Down.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So I'm maybe... two thirds? done with Arkham Knight now and it's really depressing me that there are some very cool moments in here hidden behind dumb goddamn padding.

Also the single stupidest Riddler event in this whole franchise.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

So I'm maybe... two thirds? done with Arkham Knight now and it's really depressing me that there are some very cool moments in here hidden behind dumb goddamn padding.

Also the single stupidest Riddler event in this whole franchise.

I can't get past the driving sections. I get so angry that I'm stuck in this loving tank instead of gliding around batmanning dudes that I stop playing

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Driving the Batmobile around is fun as hell, though

e: I made a new Batman thread, please post about Batman in this thread.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 13, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've played like an hour of Arkham Knight and I really am annoyed that it seems to want me to drive everywhere. I'm loving Batman, not Speed Racer.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The driving was mandated by the publisher, but that doesn't excuse the awful execution.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe you guys should git gud?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Endless Mike posted:

I've played like an hour of Arkham Knight and I really am annoyed that it seems to want me to drive everywhere. I'm loving Batman, not Speed Racer.

It's kinda twofold. They want you to have the car everywhere, that's how they gate progression for most of the game, but then once you get it to X island you can basically spend a half hour blowing up everything the car needs to do and you're free to gently caress about on foot forever (until the next wave of assholes spawns because you did a story mission).

It irritated me less once I saw the pattern, even if sometimes I'm furious when I realize a puzzle that's challenging but maybe-doable on foot actually had the intended solution of "shove a tank in it".

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Don't forget, if you have trouble with a race/navigating poo poo while driving, switch to first person view. This will be almost mandatory later on when the game decides to completely gently caress up your control for slow-mo cinematic reasons.

Once you master corner drifting (which you will need to), driving around the city itself is actually pretty fun, especially once you get the super-boosts that launch you into the stratosphere.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 14, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I liked driving around in the Batmobile since it felt good to crash through basically everything.

The combat sections with it were kinda lame though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno guys. When I get a Batman game it's to Batman things, not shoot things with a tank.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

There's still plenty of batmannery, just a shitload of tank stuff too. I did get sick of it after the big cloudburst tank fight, though.

Origins was janky, but it had choice boss fights. Wish it was backwards compatible on Xbox so I could run through it again for that Deathstroke fight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It would've been ok if the batmobile was like, a car instead of a tank, and you didn't have to fight bosses in it or use it when you don't feel like it. Batman has a cool car, and there are some cool car scenes in Batman media, and that's nice, but it's not what the character's about.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Personally I even dug the tank combat. I guess it didn't feel super Batman-esque but just as a video game shoot stuff until it blows up style gameplay, I had a good time with it.

I'm a statistical outlier though as I've 100%ed Arkham Knight twice through now. loving love that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

If the DLC cars could also go into tank mode, I would write off all of my car complaints.

• Locked thread