Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

This Aleppo thing is getting a lot of traction, maybe it will help drive Johnson's numbers back down?

You know, even if it does, it just emphasizes how loving ridiculous it is that Johnson can make a gaff and get nailed for it and Trump is immune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

theflyingorc posted:

This Aleppo thing is getting a lot of traction, maybe it will help drive Johnson's numbers back down?

He already put out a statement he thought they meant a L.E.P.O. and didn't know what the acronym stood for and that's why he asked. I'm sure his supporters believe that since I'm willing to believe he's that dumb.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ImpAtom posted:

You know, even if it does, it just emphasizes how loving ridiculous it is that Johnson can make a gaff and get nailed for it and Trump is immune.

I can sorta see it. Trump's remaining voters are the people who are voting for him no matter what gaffes he makes, whereas a pretty significant portion of Johnson supporters are Republicans who can't bring themselves to vote for Trump because of all the stupid poo poo he's said and see Johnson as "the adult in the room." So Trump's supporters won't hold him accountable for anything, but some Johnson supporters at least have standards.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

Where was the good guys with a gun?!

couldn't even make it to the next page before this stock ironicpost appeared

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CommieGIR posted:

Where was the good guys with a gun?!

We need to legalize open carry on school grounds.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Not to be a dick, but that sounds more like "a shooting that happened to be at a school" instead of a "school shooting", which really strongly implies a spree killing.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, according to the New York Times, Aleppo is the "de-facto capital of the Islamic State"

https://twitter.com/_RichardHall/status/773876202457227264
NYT changed it to "stronghold of the Islamic State" which is also totally wrong. ISIS does not hold any part of Aleppo--it is split between the Syrian regime and Syrian rebels. The Syrian regime holds territory between ISIS and Aleppo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... I just realized that I wasn't particularly horrified by the Texas school shooting because my first thought was "Oh, at least it was only a single person and not a mass shooting."

That's really disturbing to realize.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Is NYT run by loving idiots now?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

We need to legalize open carry on school grounds.

UT already has this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Uranium 235 posted:

NYT changed it to "stronghold of the Islamic State" which is also totally wrong. ISIS does not hold any part of Aleppo--it is split between the Syrian regime and Syrian rebels. The Syrian regime holds territory between ISIS and Aleppo.

hahahahahaha it's just straight up that 'it keeps happening' hella jeff comic

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kulkasha posted:

Is NYT run by loving idiots now?

Now?

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

A bit unusual this time of not being in a metro suburb but in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, west Texas.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Lightning Knight posted:

Anybody who would vote libertarian doesn't give a poo poo about something like this. Johnson's numbers will fall because almost nobody who says they're going to vote third party actually does.

I disagree, I know some Johnson voters and people who say they're considering him, and a lot of them just kind of like him as an alternative with a few good policies and protest vote to two candidates they dislike. Negative exposure can hurt him, I think, and Gary Johnson isn't actually that good of a politician, he's kind of a space cadet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chait is right about how lovely Lauer is compared to the foreign policy reporters in the NYtimes and Washpo. Those transcripts are treasures, loving treasures.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

The thing that gets me, though, is that he's cozying up to a Russian dictator.

Like, most of these older white voters who are supporting him are also people who spent decades being indoctrinated to think of Russia as an implacable enemy, regardless of how true it is (disclaimer: ironically I think it's far more true now than it was during most of the actual Cold War). Trump is flying directly in the face of this, and it doesn't seem to hurt his numbers at all.

I have to wonder what the takeaway from this is. Did the American public, including and perhaps especially Republicans, really not give all that much of a poo poo about the Cold War when it comes down to it? In nearly any other context, that would be a joyous concept to take from all this, but in this case it just means that a significant portion of the population can openly fawn over a foreign dictator. Could anyone else get away with this? Does this say anything about how the public feels about relations with Russia in general?

In any case, somebody in Wisconsin should probably hook the corpse of McCarthy up to a generator - he's probably rotating fast enough in his grave to generate a good jiggawatt or two.

Yeah you're just describing people who like authoritarianism man. Facts don't figure into it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The NYT has to be hurting its brand with this reporting that is easily understandable as garbage tier.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
In pro-Johnson spaces on the internet, I'm seeing "I'd rather vote for someone who can admit their deficiencies instead of bluffing about something" and "most people don't know what Aleppo is either, so can you really hold it against him?"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/damienfahey/status/773746507308642304

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pakled posted:

In pro-Johnson spaces on the internet, I'm seeing "I'd rather vote for someone who can admit their deficiencies instead of bluffing about something" and "most people don't know what Aleppo is either, so can you really hold it against him?"

In fairness, he immediately did damage control admitting he screwed up, which is more than you can say for Donny.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

WeAreTheRomans posted:

couldn't even make it to the next page before this stock ironicpost appeared

:ssh: the joke is that Texas is actively pursuing right to carry on college campuses.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/773868757865394176

This is the best worst election.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Trump doesn't need to admit he's wrong when most of the media is too terrified to give evidence to the fact the GOP nominated an idiotic man-baby as their presidential candidate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Old James posted:

Gonna give you a little slack since you admitted you were abysmal at geography, but a capitol is a building while a capital is a seat of government. Also, Damascus is the capital of Syria while Aleppo was a major stronghold of the non-Isis anti-Assaad forces. It was a thriving metropolis and has been almost obliterated.

I admitted already that I'm a big dumb retard. Please have mercy. :saddowns:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm a little bit afraid how lovely the Presidency is going to be for Hillary. Not that, that should disqualify her or anything. But coming into the Presidency over the age of 55 sounds like an utter nightmare to me, let alone pushing 70.
Except Hillary's been the right wing lightning rod for over 20 years now and has already spent her time in the public eye for 8 years being the scapegoat/target of some scathing attacks as First Lady. She is drat well used to it.

Obama came in as this doe-eyed idealist with delusions of Lincoln bringing the disparate sides together in honest debate and 70% approval ratings and promptly got his poo poo pushed in hard. There will be no such wishful thinking on Clinton's part. She will put her head down, figure out the fissues in the Republican party, exploit them to get what she wants by promising to work with even the most odious of Republicans to make them look good in a way she can stomach (maybe more funds for their district, jobs, whatever is near and dear to their black little hearts) so she can get what she wants (a vote for expanding family leave 'we both support families don't we?'; raising the minimum wage 'look, fully 65% of your constituency has a minimum wage job, some have more than one, you want people to spend time raising their kids make it so they only have to work one job, unemployment goes down and kids get more parent time, its win/win', whatever).

And for this she will be excoriated on the left and right as she always has, and will just brush it off and go on her way, doing what good she can and working her rear end off to make the world a better place than she found it, not seeking accolades or tooting her own horn, because that is who she is and always has been.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Night10194 posted:

In fairness, he immediately did damage control admitting he screwed up, which is more than you can say for Donny.
I just hope that some reporters take this opportunity to realize they can get a lot of coverage by just asking basic-knowledge questions. Just asking Trump to answer any question regarding the Constitution or how government functions could be a debate highlight to be remembered for years to come.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What is Aleppo? We just don't know.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Exactly. I think Trump is immensely dangerous in what he represents - the hypothetical possibility that a vapid conman with no ideology and no interest in the public good could win an American election and obliterate the status quo in the worst way possible - but I don't think he personally should be taken seriously as some great threat to us. He's not trying to win and he's not in it to become President. Does that mean we shouldn't work really hard to get Hillary elected? No, of course not. But everyone trying to ascribe some kind of meaningful motivations, policies, or ideals to him is just going to end up confused and scared because Trump isn't about that poo poo. He's in it for the money, the fame, and the potential for more money and fame down the line.

For example, the whole bit about rigged elections. He doesn't actually give a poo poo about that. I suppose he might, in the old man sense of somebody told him that's a thing and he's outraged, but he doesn't really care because he doesn't want to be President. He just wants to set himself up an avenue to stay relevant in right-wing circles after the election so he can market his inevitable new TV show, merchandise, and other money-making ventures to the right-wing public. He's a textbook case of how to co-opt messaging and branding and I hope every single marketing and political science class in the US for the rest of time studies this election to see how you can carefully craft an effect strategy to put together a large support base and have it stolen away from you because you leaned too heavily into conditioning your followers to ignore reality.

He absolutely, sincerely, does not like black people (but he likes blacks he can order around of course).

He absolutely, sincerely, does not like women that can challenge him (just ask the women that have worked for him, the most pro-Trump ones somehow being the most damning).

He absolutely, sincerely, believes in the tough guy mythos that led to Attica and the invasion of Iraq. This includes keeping up the war on inner cities commonly known as the War on Drugs.

He absolutely, sincerely, believes in creating a tax structure advantageous to billionaires like himself. He hones in like nothing else in keeping tax credits advantageous to land developers for example.

He absoultely, sincerely, believes in bilking people poorer than himself for pennies to a billionaires dollar. This can be ascertained by everything he's done.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Is the day after this event too early to see any potential bounce back in polls for Hillary? Noticed she was ~2% back up on five thirty eight about after about a month of slow decline.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Svanja posted:

GODDAMMIT.

Almost forgot its the first day of classes, and therefore the beginning of school shooting season.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shageletic posted:

He absolutely, sincerely, does not like black people (but he likes blacks he can order around of course).

He absolutely, sincerely, does not like women that can challenge him (just ask the women that have worked for him, the most pro-Trump ones somehow being the most damning).

He absolutely, sincerely, believes in the tough guy mythos that led to Attica and the invasion of Iraq. This includes keeping up the war on inner cities commonly known as the War on Drugs.

He absolutely, sincerely, believes in creating a tax structure advantageous to billionaires like himself. He hones in like nothing else in keeping tax credits advantageous to land developers for example.

He absoultely, sincerely, believes in bilking people poorer than himself for pennies to a billionaires dollar. This can be ascertained by everything he's done.

I 100% agree. But I also think that trying to ascribe meaningful policy to Trump based on what he believes is pointless. He might personally agree with some or even all of the stupid poo poo he says. But even if he doesn't (and I don't think he does; that is not that same as him being a secretly good person, which he is not), he's willing to say that he does in order to get what he wants. That's what I was trying to get across, to people who don't understand why he seems to make no sense. Trump's one and only policy is, whatever you want to hear, that gets me money and attention.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Dork457 posted:

Is the day after this event too early to see any potential bounce back in polls for Hillary? Noticed she was ~2% back up on five thirty eight about after about a month of slow decline.

yes, that should be related to something else

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I 100% agree. But I also think that trying to ascribe meaningful policy to Trump based on what he believes is pointless. He might personally agree with some or even all of the stupid poo poo he says. But even if he doesn't (and I don't think he does; that is not that same as him being a secretly good person, which he is not), he's willing to say that he does in order to get what he wants. That's what I was trying to get across, to people who don't understand why he seems to make no sense. Trump's one and only policy is, whatever you want to hear, that gets me money and attention.

I'd ascribe it to pathological incuriousness and debilitating entitilement.

George W had the former down pat.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

emdash posted:

yes, that should be related to something else

Its about a week after Trump went full Hitler in Arizona, so polls might be picking that up.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
The right likes Putin because he's a big manly white conservative Christian man who likes to blow things up and shits on Obama and Hillary, it's not complicated. It doesn't cross their minds as unpatriotic to support him over their own nation because in their minds the leaders of their own nation are all evil internationalists who have no allegiance to whitemanistan uh I mean America so the duty of a proper patriot is to oppose them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Glumslinger posted:

Its about a week after Trump went full Hitler in Arizona, so polls might be picking that up.

Considering he started doing better when he started 'softening' on Immigration, I would hope deciding to go Full Hitler and pull the rug away pretty definitively would hurt him.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Now's the perfect time to ask him about the situation in Agrabah.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You see Johnson's problem is that he admitted a weakness by asking what Aleppo was. If he had just started bullshitting "Well it's a very serious problem and we'll have to look closely in the coming days next question." he would have been fine. A stream of verbal diarrhea gets you a few funny looks, being weak is punishable by death.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 8, 2016

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

Once again, it doesn't matter what was said: Trump gave a better performance, and nothing else matters. He will continue to rise in the polls as a result of this.

:toxx: or :getout:

Edit- 123 != 133. woops.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New York Times is having a great election year.

• Locked thread