Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pakled posted:

Don't worry, a couple years down the line, Kirby "Bill Callahan" Smart will change their impression of Richt.

Nobody ever admits they made a mistake firing a successful coach, they only admit to making the wrong hire to replace them.

Extra points for Georgia fans if they take credit for a Miami playoff appearance by claiming to have "given Richt the wakeup call he needed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Charlie appointing himself DC is all well and good, but it seems odd that Bedford has been put in charge of the secondary when unbelievably terrible secondary play was probably the biggest factor in him being relieved of duties to begin with. Does this mean our previous DBs coach has also been relieved of duties? Ugh. I really want Charlie to figure this out and salvage this season, but I just don't know if he can.

Serious question: when was the last time a head coach started his tenure at a school with two losing seasons and then went on to high-level success at that same school?

You-Know-Who

He hired a new DC in 2011

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It's amazing how quickly Charlie Strong went from "we expect to be bad these two seasons, he is cutting bad apples off the team and Mack left the cupboard empty*" to "We are having too many bad seasons, this is Texas we don't have bad seasons"

*Ignores that the empty cupboard at Texas would still be a fully stocked fridge at Iowa State. A team Texas hasn't been able to score on in years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Thermos H Christ posted:

Charlie appointing himself DC is all well and good, but it seems odd that Bedford has been put in charge of the secondary when unbelievably terrible secondary play was probably the biggest factor in him being relieved of duties to begin with. Does this mean our previous DBs coach has also been relieved of duties? Ugh. I really want Charlie to figure this out and salvage this season, but I just don't know if he can.

Serious question: when was the last time a head coach started his tenure at a school with two losing seasons and then went on to high-level success at that same school?

Mack Brown started 1-10 and 1-10 at UNC before going 67-26 in his remaining 8 years. He also had some success later in his career.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ooh, this is fun!

Thermos H Christ posted:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spacebump posted:

It's amazing how quickly Charlie Strong went from "we expect to be bad these two seasons, he is cutting bad apples off the team and Mack left the cupboard empty*" to "We are having too many bad seasons, this is Texas we don't have bad seasons"

*Ignores that the empty cupboard at Texas would still be a fully stocked fridge at Iowa State. A team Texas hasn't been able to score on in years.

We did expect two bad seasons. And a majority of the fans, at least the ones I run into online and in person, were pretty chill (especially by Texas fan standards) about the two bad seasons. Then we got to year three and thought "we suffered through the two bad seasons but now Charlie has laid the foundation and he's finally accepted that offense is a thing and now it's year three and we're really gonna see this team turn the corner." And then we beat Notre Dame, who had handed us one of several absolute skullfuckings last year, and it seemed like everything was on track, so we got our hopes up even more. And then we played Cal and it was apparent that we had major issues on defense, like it actually may have regressed from last year which was statistically the worst defense ever fielded at Texas. But that was a long road trip for a young team and Charlie said he knew how to fix it and we had a bye week, so we all looked eagerly at Okie Lite to see how he would address the issues. And then poo poo was even worse and we couldn't execute a loving PAT and it was evident that Charlie had utterly failed to coax any improvement out of this team during those two weeks, even on the most fundamental aspects of the game.

Most of us really like Charlie. We want him to be the guy. We want him to give us a reason to keep having faith in him. But at a certain point, if he's gonna be the guy, he needs to start being the guy. If poo poo doesn't improve I will still be grateful for his recruiting and I will still think he's a swell guy and I will respect what he tried to do here and wish him success at his future coaching jobs, but I will not feel like we owe him more time if he turns in a third year of being Literally The Worst Ever to hold his position.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

We did expect two bad seasons. And a majority of the fans, at least the ones I run into online and in person, were pretty chill (especially by Texas fan standards) about the two bad seasons. Then we got to year three and thought "we suffered through the two bad seasons but now Charlie has laid the foundation and he's finally accepted that offense is a thing and now it's year three and we're really gonna see this team turn the corner." And then we beat Notre Dame, who had handed us one of several absolute skullfuckings last year, and it seemed like everything was on track, so we got our hopes up even more. And then we played Cal and it was apparent that we had major issues on defense, like it actually may have regressed from last year which was statistically the worst defense ever fielded at Texas. But that was a long road trip for a young team and Charlie said he knew how to fix it and we had a bye week, so we all looked eagerly at Okie Lite to see how he would address the issues. And then poo poo was even worse and we couldn't execute a loving PAT and it was evident that Charlie had utterly failed to coax any improvement out of this team during those two weeks, even on the most fundamental aspects of the game.

Most of us really like Charlie. We want him to be the guy. We want him to give us a reason to keep having faith in him. But at a certain point, if he's gonna be the guy, he needs to start being the guy. If poo poo doesn't improve I will still be grateful for his recruiting and I will still think he's a swell guy and I will respect what he tried to do here and wish him success at his future coaching jobs, but I will not feel like we owe him more time if he turns in a third year of being Literally The Worst Ever to hold his position.

This sums my feelings up pretty well. A lot of fans really like Charlie and want him to succeed, but this was a year to show progress, not regression.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Like if we wanted this sort of lovely defensive performances we'd of hired a Stoops brother

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Maybe that racist Texas booster was right all along (I don't actually believe this)

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

It was also easier to see the offensive problems were related to a poor OC, who was being replaced after last season, and the lack of a QB. The new OC seems mostly good so far, and it seems like Buechele is a solid qb, especially as a freshman. But defense is supposed to be Charlie's thing, and there has been 0 evidence of progress so far or any clear reason why it is as bad as it is. Texas has plenty of talented defensive players, the fact that they cannot tackle or force a turnover is a problem. The special teams being a complete shitshow also is a huge problem that the defense mostly has covered up until the PAT disaster. The kick returns and return coverage has been poo poo, they also had a number of special teams gently caress ups last year (see ok st). It was easier to give Strong some time when the biggest problem by far was a lack of offense and QB, and that seemed fixable. It is harder when the problems are every part of the team he is involved in and the only thing mostly working is the offense.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Maybe all those observers were right when they said Charlie Strong is a good man and a good coach who is just a fundamentally bad fit for Texas. I always thought they were talking about him not being a backslapping, politicking good ole boy who loves the cameras. And I really don't agree that those are are the key attributes for a coach at Texas, or even that he's particularly bad at those aspects of the job. But maybe it's true in the sense that his whole approach to football is a poor fit for a school that primarily recruits players out of Texas HS football and plays in the Big 12. I don't know. I don't have an explanation for how a guy who coordinated multiple championship caliber defenses, a guy who was getting as many combine invites at Louisville as Saban at Alabama and Fisher at FSU, could seemingly be unable to field a competent defense or develop the players he has recruited to run it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

It was also easier to see the offensive problems were related to a poor OC, who was being replaced after last season, and the lack of a QB. The new OC seems mostly good so far, and it seems like Buechele is a solid qb, especially as a freshman. But defense is supposed to be Charlie's thing, and there has been 0 evidence of progress so far or any clear reason why it is as bad as it is. Texas has plenty of talented defensive players, the fact that they cannot tackle or force a turnover is a problem. The special teams being a complete shitshow also is a huge problem that the defense mostly has covered up until the PAT disaster. The kick returns and return coverage has been poo poo, they also had a number of special teams gently caress ups last year (see ok st). It was easier to give Strong some time when the biggest problem by far was a lack of offense and QB, and that seemed fixable. It is harder when the problems are every part of the team he is involved in and the only thing mostly working is the offense.

This is the best post on issues with Texas under Strong and I 100% agree with you. Especially on tackling. It's amazing to me how many people were fooled by the Notre Dame game. When you go into the season expecting to be a defensive powerhouse and that happens, you have defensive problems. Especially when the other team's best (or at least most experienced?) WR is knocked out by a dirty hit.

Texas would be wise to fire Strong and snag Herman or go full villain mode and sign Briles. I'd say they should try to steal Patterson but nobody wants to see Texas hire a coach that whines and makes up excuses after every big loss.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 4, 2016

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Turns out our favorite fat kicker suffers from an eating disorder and has actually been working really hard on keeping his poo poo together.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spacebump posted:

Texas would be wise to fire Strong and snag Herman or go full villain mode and sign Briles.

Only problem is Herman might not choose us over LSU and whoever else opens up, and then what do we do? Probably couldn't get Peterson, which leaves... I dunno, Fedora? Briles will never ever happen.

Spacebump posted:

I'd say they should try to steal Patterson but nobody wants to see Texas hire a coach that whines and makes up excuses after every big loss.

2016 Gary Patterson is also probably not the guy you hire if you're mad about having a defensive coach with a defense that gives up a lot of points and a pretty good offense that he's not really involved in.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 4, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Briles will never ever happen.

Y'know you say that....

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Thermos H Christ posted:

Only problem is Herman might not choose us over LSU and whoever else opens up, and then what do we do? Probably couldn't get Peterson, which leaves... I dunno, Fedora? Briles will never ever happen.

It's Texas, any good coach out there can be offered more money by them. (With maybe 2-3 exceptions.)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Nebraska, why?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pakled posted:

Nebraska, why?

M'lineman

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

"You should smile more" he says to the left tackle. "You'd look nicer if you smiled"

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

I preferred the fiction that he was some just hilarious fat slob who was a good kicker. He has destroyed his mystique by showing us his soft (but ample) underbelly. Still, I'm glad he's on the mend, even if it meant he posted that banal message to social media.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Charlie Weiss to Texas confirmed.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Koko isn't dead, this is a crass joke.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

No wonder they forgot to bat the ball down

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

69 of the week

Sagarin Ratings, Week 5 posted:

69. South Carolina

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thermos H Christ posted:

Ferentz went 1-10, 3-9, 7-5, and then rolled off 3 consecutive years with 10+ wins. You would think it'd be slightly easier to turn around Texas.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Miami/FSU has a chance of being moved to another date if the hurricane moves closer as the track is showing. dammit weather.

Dilber fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 4, 2016

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
im actually pretty sure charlie strong is just a bad coach at this point

like all these people going "aww man he's a good coach just not the *right* coach for Texas."

what would lead you to believe that at all from what he has produced.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Scionix posted:

what would lead you to believe that at all from what he has produced.

His time outside of Texas, mainly.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Dilber posted:

Miami/FSU has a chance of being moved to another date if the hurricane moves closer as the track is showing. dammit weather.

they should move it to haiti

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Grittybeard posted:

His time outside of Texas, mainly.

he beat up on inferior opponents with teddy bridgewater?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

an adult beverage posted:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I'd forgotten Louisville didn't get into the ACC until the year after he left. But still, yes. Basically that.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

:toxx: Permaban me if Miami ever makes the playoff :toxx:

He doesn't have to beat Saban or Meyer to win the conference this time, I think they will be in the mix for the ACC title every year.

Ralker posted:

I'm happy we have Richt now, but I totally understand where you're coming from. As an Eagles fan it was time for Andy Reid to leave when he left, just like it was time for Richt to leave UGA. It's possible to both appreciate what a coach has done for your program and realize that they have become stagnant and need to go. It doesn't mean anyone thinks he was bad but just that he reached the potential that he was going to achieve there.

Yea that and there is a reason Miami has all those titles, if Richt does well at Miami I don't think that necessarily means Richt would have earned a bunch of playoff births had he stayed in the stagnant situation he had at UGA.

Scionix posted:

im sure we wont get torched now that charlie is coaching the defense!!!

Everyone gets torched in the Big 12. Bob Stoops and Gary Patterson are supposed to be defensive guys and they are playing games in the 50s. But yea Charlie might be gone after this year.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

an adult beverage posted:

DAYAM

:iceburn:

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Everyone gets torched in the Big 12. Bob Stoops and Gary Patterson are supposed to be defensive guys and they are playing games in t6he 50s. But yea Charlie might be gone after this year.
Texas gave up 45+ points 6 times from 1998-2013, and 4 of those were in the last 3 years, when they were headed downhill and eventually Mack was out.

Texas has given up 45+ points 8 times in the last 3 years, including 3 times in the last 4 games.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

G-Hawk posted:

Texas gave up 45+ points 6 times from 1998-2013, and 4 of those were in the last 3 years, when they were headed downhill and eventually Mack was out.

Texas has given up 45+ points 8 times in the last 3 years, including 3 times in the last 4 games.

4 in the last 6*

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

G-Hawk posted:

They should be better but "Let's try to win on defense" is not going to work at Texas in 2016, not even if they hire Belichick.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Lasagna Pilot posted:

They should be better but "Let's try to win on defense" is not going to work at Texas in 2016, not even if they hire Belichick.

i mean i'm not expecting them to hold teams to 7 points here, but giving up 50, 49, and 47 to unranked teams (though yes ND was ranked then) isn't really gonna cut it regardless of how good the offense is. They've arguably statistically been the worst power 5 defense in the country so far, and they may somehow actually look worse when you watch the games. Not looking for miracles here, just not giving up 30 yards everytime someone is in the open field because no one can loving tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

G-Hawk posted:

i mean i'm not expecting them to hold teams to 7 points here, but giving up 50, 49, and 47 to unranked teams (though yes ND was ranked then) isn't really gonna cut it regardless of how good the offense is. They've arguably statistically been the worst power 5 defense in the country so far, and they may somehow actually look worse when you watch the games. Not looking for miracles here, just not giving up 30 yards everytime someone is in the open field because no one can loving tackle.

okay you can be arguably or statistically, you're not allowed to be both at the same time, words have meaning damnit!

• Locked thread