Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

achtungnight posted:

Loot the Stables. Is it Game Over if we have no way to heal Paido?

Yeah, if you have no method of healing Paido he does in fact die. Then you have a sudden fit of vengeance and go and get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Materant posted:

Yeah, if you have no method of healing Paido he does in fact die. Then you have a sudden fit of vengeance and go and get shot.
It's pretty great.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Haha, you don't even get to kill someone. Just straight up sniped by some campers. :synpa:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

the almond-shaped iris is fully dilated

He's... human, right?

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

He's... human, right?

Forget if it's all Vakeros, but Lord Paido explicitly has cat-eyes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bee Bonk posted:

Forget if it's all Vakeros, but Lord Paido explicitly has cat-eyes.

He does:

Castle Death 1 posted:

He is tall and dark-skinned, with plaited flaxen hair and sharp, cat-like eyes, and he wears the gold and scarlet tunic of a Vakeros—a warrior-magician of Dessi.

So does his brother Kasin:

Castle Death 105 posted:

‘My name is Kasin,’ he says, painfully. ‘Lord Paido is my brother.’ You notice the resemblance in his cat-like eyes and square jaw.

And Paido apparently is pretty typical for a Vakeros:

Later Book posted:

At once you recognize his distinctive features: he is a Vakeros, a native warrior-magician of Dessi.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

1. Take the 2 meals and chuck the diamonds for the vial of poison.

achtungnight posted:

Loot the Stables.
OK, we've still got one space free in our backpack.

The Jungle of Horrors posted:

The stable is full of fine horses, all of them as sound and sturdy as the mounts given to you by Lord Adamas. Paido acts as lookout while you saddle up two black stallions. You are making the final adjustments to their bridles when Paido hisses a warning. ‘Four monks coming this way!’

You mount your fresh steeds and gallop out of the stables, scattering the startled monks, who had just reached the door. In an act of desperation, one of the monks unsheathes his sword and hurls it at your back. The deadly blade spins through the air with alarming accuracy.

We roll: 9.
Healing: +1 EP (25/37).

The sword whistles past your head and gouges a chunk of stone from the courtyard arch. You hear the monks shouting and you dig in your heels, steering your horse through the archway and along a narrow street that leads to the quadrangle. At this early hour there are few obstacles to slow your escape as you gallop headlong through the twisting streets of Tharro. It is not until you reach the town’s north gate that you finally rein in your horse to a halt.

Healing: +1 EP (26/37).

The north gate guards, tired after the long night’s watch, grumble wearily at your demand for the gate to be opened. ‘What’s the hurry?’ growls one guardsman.

‘Matter o’ life and death is it?’ sneers the other.

The portcullis finally clanks open and you leave the town, riding the broken dirt track towards the distant hills and the frontier town of Syada. Grey-brown grasses brush your shins as you cross this wild, uncultivated plain. Accompanying your ride is an unnatural silence which is broken only occasionally by the cawing of ravens circling like vultures overhead.

By midday you are among the hills. The terrain becomes increasingly rocky, undulating like a storm-tossed ocean. The tall plains grass has given way to sad little plants, scraggy and deformed, stunted by the winds that sweep down from the barren wastes of Ogia. The track passes through a narrow valley where a small stone cabin stands beside the entrance to a disused mine shaft. As you approach the cabin you see a face at the window.

Healing: +1 EP (27/37).
Do we investigate the cabin or the mine, or ride past and ignore both?

There was a 30% chance of that thrown sword instantly killing us.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Is it just me or is every time we steal a horse, we're subjected to an instakill roll?

Dever must really hate horse thieves.

Check out the cabin.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ride on by. No apparent reason to stop here.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
All the loot will be mine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Walk on by... (doo doo-doo, be doo doo)

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Why couldn't we tell Paido not to eat the poison

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think he was already eating it by the time we figured it out.

Let's see the cabin, maybe we'll meet another hot chick

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Didn't the stargazer lady tell us that the road to Syada is loving bad and we should go through the hills or something?

Check out the Cabin so we may not get backstabbed or something.

Edit:

Tadia the Prophetess posted:

‘Your safest passage to the Danarg is through the Mordril Forest,’ she says solemnly. ‘The road to Syada is fraught with danger—only battle and death await you there.’

Let's hope it's not too late to go through the forest.

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 7, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

StuG Jeebus posted:

Why couldn't we tell Paido not to eat the poison
Don't put yourself between a magi and his food is a famous local proverb.

Also one more vote for the mine.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Helios Grime posted:

Check out the Cabin so we may not get backstabbed or something.
Unless the face in the window was luring us into an ambush. :tinfoil:

You peer through the tiny circular window where you saw the face, but the gloomy interior looks deserted. The stone cabin consists of two rooms: one at the front and one at the rear. ‘Anyone at home?’ you call in a friendly voice, but you receive no reply.

Silently you motion to Paido to investigate the rear of the hut while you enter at the front door.

Healing: +1 EP (28/37).

As soon as you step into the cabin you are attacked by a man wielding a pick-axe handle. He is a lean, hollow-eyed rogue with a vivid scar, which runs in a ragged line from his forehead to his chin. He shouts a curse and makes a swing for your head.

Rogue Miner: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 25

Unless you have the Magnakai Discipline of Huntmastery, reduce your COMBAT SKILL by 3 points for the first two rounds of combat due to the surprise of the attack.
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 28
Rogue Miner: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 25
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 34 ENDURANCE 28
Rogue Miner: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 0

The rogue slumps dead at your feet. Seconds later the door to the back room splinters and breaks as Paido hacks through it with his sword.

‘What kept you so long?’ you ask cheekily, when finally the door gives way and he staggers, sweating and exhausted, into the room. He smiles ruefully and, after pausing to get his breath back, he invites you to come and see what he has found in the back room. Small sacks, each filled with nuggets of silver, are stacked in a huge mound that reaches almost to the ceiling.

‘No wonder he fought so desperately,’ you say, staring at this hoard of treasure. ‘There’s enough silver here to pay a king’s ransom.’

You may take some treasure before you leave—each Sack of Silver counts as one Backpack Item.

Healing: +1 EP (29/37).
  1. Do we take some silver? How much? (We have one free space in our backpack)
  2. Do we continue our journey or check out the mine first?

I know the text identifies him as a "rogue", but I think we just murdered an innocent miner?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
1. Take one bag to fill our backpack
2. let's check out that mine

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Drink the Laumspur potion, dump the two meals, and get four bags of silver to fill the four slots that are free. Then check out the mine, there might be some more loot in there.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Take nothing and move on before the sheriff shows up!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

quote:

‘What kept you so long?’ you ask cheekily
:psyduck:
Is Lone Wolf alright? That seems... really out of character. "Cheeky" is just not something I associate with the character.
Actually, speaking isn't really something I associate with Lone Wolf.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The_White_Crane posted:

He speaks, just rarely in direct dialogue. I think the idea is that it's supposed to be more immersive, like he's speaking in your voice rather than having his own distinctive speech patterns. It does kind of come across more like he's just not very talkative though. But he does have a sense of humour if you pay attention.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Leave silver, move on.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

:psyduck:
Is Lone Wolf alright? That seems... really out of character. "Cheeky" is just not something I associate with the character.
For some reason i have always imagined that the role of Lone Wolf was played by 70s Clint Eastwood, so i guess it's his kind of "cheeky". Just imagine Paido is an orangutan.

Take one silver and get into the mine.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Drink the Laumspur potion, and get two bags of silver Then continue your journey.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

get into the mine.
OK.

An old wooden board, nailed across the entrance to the shaft, warns you to stay away. This silver mine was closed down shortly after the main tunnel collapsed. Twenty miners were buried alive and their names are carved into the pit props that surround the entrance to the shaft as a memorial. As you scan the list of names you hear the tap of a hammer breaking stone in the depths of the shaft.

Healing: +1 EP (30/37).
Do we still want to enter the mine or shall we just leave?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
That sort of description sounds like Dever setting us up for a "rocks fall everybody dies"

Leave.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Enter the mine. We may need to rescue an idiot who can't read.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm having a vague premonition of danger. Leave

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

GTFO.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Go in. The roof has already collapsed, it can't collapse twice.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Let's not anger the mine ghosts and go away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosac_Tunnel#Accidents

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I'm having a vague premonition of danger. Leave
It's a good call. There's nothing down there for us but death.

The track continues along the rock-strewn valley floor through a thicket of stunted trees and climbs slowly towards a ridge of hills, their peaks worn smooth by countless years of wind and harsh weather. You stop briefly at a babbling stream to allow your horses to drink, and your rumbling stomach reminds you that you are hungry and in need of food. You must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

When the horses have quenched their thirst, you continue your climb to the ridge. You soon reach the crest and stare down on a sight that sends a shiver down your spine.

Healing: +1 EP (31/37).

In the distance you see a pall of dense, black smoke rising into the sky. At its base a fortress wall and a cluster of cottages are feeding the greedy flames. Syada burns. To the north of the doomed town an army of black-clad troops covers the hills. The black wolf-head banners of Ogia sway on long poles, fluttering grimly above the ranks of the merciless horde.

Along the track a great procession of men, women, and children come towards you, some on horseback, some in carts, and some with bundles of possessions clutched to their soot-blackened chests. They stumble forward in silence, their eyes filled with terror and despair.

A soldier, bleeding from a wound to his head, rides past the crest shouting, ‘Turn back! Turn back! The armies of darkness are coming!’

It is impossible to continue along the track northwards. The dirt road is blocked with refugees from Syada, and the Ogian horde are poised to launch an attack from the hills. Only two courses of action are left open to you: you can turn back along the track, or you can ride west, across the hills towards the Mordril Forest. Consult the map before making your decision.

Healing: +1 EP (32/37).
Do we turn back or ride west?

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 8, 2018

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Taida the Prophetess posted:

‘Your safest passage to the Danarg is through the Mordril Forest,’ she says solemnly. ‘The road to Syada is fraught with danger—only battle and death await you there.’

I bet the forest is lovely this time of the year.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Mikl posted:

I bet the forest is lovely this time of the year.

:bandwagon:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
West towards the forest

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
West would be the obvious road even if we hadn't had a prophecy. Seems a shame robbing players of an opportunity to feel clever, but I'm guessing the prophecy is easy to miss.

ShadowWraith
Mar 28, 2011
West. I also suggest using the Potion of Alether for any fight where we're at a -6 or worse disadvantage, as I recall -4 being the equilibrium point.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ShadowWraith posted:

I recall -4 being the equilibrium point.
-5 is the point at which the enemy does as much damage on average as Lone Wolf. -4 is still a slight advantage to the player. -7 is advantage to the enemy. Although that's simplifying it, because even when the average damage is equal at -5 there's still a 20% chance per round of the enemy dealing no damage and only a 10% chance of Lone Wolf dealing no damage. If the fight goes on long enough then that won't matter, but in short fights it makes it more likely for the player to come out ahead. I think. I'm bad at maths. You can have a look at the Combat Results Table and figure it out if you like.

ShadowWraith
Mar 28, 2011
Ah, okay. Make it -7 or worse then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Armies of darkness you Say? Ride forth and meet them. Rip and tear until it is done.