Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
So this weekend has been way busier than I intended and I do want to apologize to mods and players. Son is FINALLY asleep and I have some time to myself.

Maigius posted:

Thought, there are three power type with everyone having at least one power. Would it be at all worth while to speculate on how many people have more than one power type? Going to guess this is a dumb line if thinking, but I'll let the more experienced players chime in.

This is the first post that jumped out at me (as it does for several others)

CapnAndy posted:

When you're caught, you're caught, I just want to go out with some dignity

I hate "jokes" like this and honestly scum claims make me want to cuddle that person, there was a game not too long ago where a scum player D1 said "Hey I'm scum" and the rest of the game was like "Oh you kidder!" and then scum won that game. So I do take claims like this seriously. Andy defends the "joke" a few posts later but still, rubs me the wrong way.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I hope the two scum teams kill each other off

I'm interested to see reaction to this post because I find it very weird and out of left field, but it is Humalong so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that this is a joke post.

Spoonsy posted:

I’m on mobile but does the OP say anything about N0 actions? Either way, between that and this statement of two scum groups (which once again, mobile, but has anyone else brought up?), I feel comfortable in ##vote Humalong

If I’m wrong we look at CapitalistPig tomorrow.

Yeesh this is a very bad post and it rightfully gets called out. I was wondering when Spoon started getting votes and I guess this is it.

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is it folks, this is the lazy scum "jump on the bandwagon" vote

##vote dmboogie

Mr. Steak posted:

this is it folks, the scumbro trying to stop the bandwagon from gaining momentum

I'm sort of over the bandwagon idea, both of these posts (Jose and Steak's bother me).

Mr. Steak posted:

cpig's cop claim doesnt deserve this amount of scrutiny lmao. it was obviously false and he never intended for it to be taken seriously

Steak quoting truth here.

Squiggly posted:

I'm late to the party per usual since I always forget I signed up for a game and never know when it starts

How about some real day 1 content. I am a miller. Huzzah. I don't really see any reason not to full claim because of this, so I am the Night Hag. When certain conditions are met I gain a charge. Every two charges I can let the town talk at night. My condition is that two people who are not myself must vote me

Essentially I'm vanilla town with a downside

Squiggly dives in to make this post and HOLY poo poo. I actually believe this post because I don't think I could make up a role this wild.

Squiggly posted:

I'm also not seeing the Spoonsy case either. He calls out hum for a possible scum slip and gets a bunch of votes why

My POV is that speculation like what Spoonsy made makes it look like Spoonsy is posting and engaging, but instead the content he's generating is largely worthless and just causes the focus to be taken off the real mission which is scum hunting.

Mr. Steak posted:

ok yea, for the record i believed squiggly at face value
[/quote

[quote="Sub Rosa" post="505273367"]
Is accepting claims at face value how you typically play Mafia?

Mr. Steak posted:

i dont do anything the same way regardless of context. so no, i neither typically do or don't play mafia by accepting claims at face value

Mr. Steak posted:

...which was worded in a totally nonsense way but whatever. i believe squiggly cuz whats the harm in believing him? he's also now said he already has 2 shots of the ability, so theres no need to do the thing that scum-squigga would be tempting us to do

This is a weird interaction for me and I'm not sure why it's flagging me the way it does. I don't like Sub Rosa's "gotcha" and I don't like Steak's defense of himself. The other thing I don't like is that Sandwolf essentially made the same post as Steak but Sub only went after Steak.

Maigius posted:

I'm currently wondering how town magic users gain charges. Voting for the winning vote getter, or over time are my best guesses. Using a different power of theirs has also come up as a possibility.

More setup speculation for Maigius. Again these posts don't "feel" helpful. It's more white noise "Hey jolly gee guys wouldn't it be wild if (X) happened?" It's posting for the sake of posting and not really bringing anything relevant to the table.

Mr. Steak posted:

is there a particular reason you specified "town" here?

A drat good point by Steak

Scientastic posted:

I am fully on board with executing Steak, but I think Tom is making the mistake of seeing Steak incredible scummy posting and seeing Steak as scum.

Difficult, I know, but I’m pretty sure Steak just posts terrible scummy poo poo all the time regardless of alignment.

I feel like this is an over generalization of Steak. Steak can play well and has caught scum multiple times so I think just dismissing him this way is a little off base.

Scientastic posted:

Also, anyone who votes Maigius is not only bad at mafia, they are mean.

I won’t be voting Maigius for at least the first few days, because

1. it’s impossible to draw an alignment call from someone so new
2. if he’s scum, he will out all his scum buddies because he’s new
3. someone’s first experience of mafia shouldn’t be being shouted at and executed for trying to play the game

I don't believe this for a second. New people can be scum just as easily as Old players can. If you think someone is scum it's ok to vote for them. We all get better the more we play and being lovely scum is a right of passage.

(To be continued)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Nep-Nep posted:

Answer me this, from your posting I get the impression you have a town read on Spoonsy. You also build a thorough case around Steak here. When you initially voted on Steak earlier, one of your reasons was that you believed that Steak uncritically believing Squiggly's claim. However, Spoonsy, who you have a town read on, did roughly the same thing with cpig's n0 cop claim. What is different about these two players with regards to that that you read Spoonsy is town and Steak is scum?

This is a good post

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

newbies lose that grace period after they make it to the end of the game (AND win)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jose Valasquez posted:

I think scum would back off quicker when they realized it was a bogus cop claim

I think this is flawed reasoning: a town player would back off, hold their hands up and say, “yep, that was stupid”. What Spoonsy does is much more what someone intensely focused on their appearance would do, he defends the stance while simultaneously backing out of it. My feeling is that scum player wouldn’t want to appear to be backing out of it too quickly for fear of how that would look to the thread, hence why he does the weird juggling act.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Sandwolf posted:

newbies lose that grace period after they make it to the end of the game (AND win)

When did the council vote on this?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Scientastic posted:

I think this is flawed reasoning: a town player would back off, hold their hands up and say, “yep, that was stupid”. What Spoonsy does is much more what someone intensely focused on their appearance would do, he defends the stance while simultaneously backing out of it. My feeling is that scum player wouldn’t want to appear to be backing out of it too quickly for fear of how that would look to the thread, hence why he does the weird juggling act.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

DGK2000 posted:

When did the council vote on this?

I’d have to check my records but I think it was the Fourth Cosa Nostra Council of Westchester

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I’d have to check my records but I think it was the Fourth Cosa Nostra Council of Westchester

Ugh I forgot to update my forwarding address for the invitation.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

This is a weird interaction for me and I'm not sure why it's flagging me the way it does. I don't like Sub Rosa's "gotcha" and I don't like Steak's defense of himself. The other thing I don't like is that Sandwolf essentially made the same post as Steak but Sub only went after Steak.
I guess you mean this?

Sandwolf posted:

for the most part I believe Squiggly’s claim
I don't agree this is essentially the same at all as all the posting Steak did in the aftermath of Squiggly's claim?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

I guess you mean this?

I don't agree this is essentially the same at all as all the posting Steak did in the aftermath of Squiggly's claim?

you're falling into a noob trap (well, lots of veterans still have to consciously avoid doing this i think too). the person who's posting a lot and is therefore always at the front of your mind when you're scumhunting... therefore he's gotta be scummy, i mean look at all those things he said! but the truth is that scum are (well, can be) way too nervous to post or comment on a thing. i mean, in full transparency i very much do post this much as scum too, but i just want to point out that you can't rely on that in general

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

But I'm not pointing to volume, I'm pointing to content

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub Rosa posted:

But I'm not pointing to volume, I'm pointing to content

youre not pointing to anything

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

CapitalistPig posted:

## vote spoonsy

I guess this is gonna be what the thing is.

This vote is so goddamn scummy

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
You know what I really think this is town steak. I would rather vote ##vote Cpig

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Im putting money in mouth but I'll be around to switch if needed

##vote cpig

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Yeah, life is hilariously cruel.
Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

## vote spoonsy

Lol really? You spend the first part of the day role shitposting and now you just casually decide to board a train?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

dmboogie posted:

"day 1" does not absolve you from having an opinion

im not asking for an essay im asking for an opinion

Having an opinion would require me to read the game I'm in.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CapitalistPig posted:

Having an opinion would require me to read the game I'm in.
cpig what are you doing with that shovel, the hole you're already in seems quite deep enough to me!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
lol vote me out if you want to idgaf This is my d1 play in every game. You'd think people would realize it by now.

There's nothing happening.

There's nothing to have an opinion on. Day 1 is poo poo and unless someone makes a blatant dumb scumslip (which steak did not.)

The good stuff doesn't start until you've had a round of night actions to interpret.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Sorry had to go deal with a cranky 17 month old that doesn't realize the reason he is so cranky is because he hasn't taken a nap since 6am. Back to the game!

Sandwolf posted:

That’s a very persuasive case on Steak, I think

I think it looks decent but like someone else said it falls apart at the end. There are very real, lengthy relationships (which I'm sure you are aware of Sand) in this community so while Steaks vote on the surface to me looks like a joke (mostly because I know Steak) I can see how to someone who is newer it would look way worse than it actually is.

CapnAndy posted:

##vote xopods

This person knows what the gently caress is up

Oh Jesus the deadline is in like 2 hours, loving hell, I don't have nearly the leisure time I thought I did O_O

Tom Tucker posted:

Steak still feels like easily the best choice.

I disagree here. I don't think anyone should be voting for Steak when Maigius is like a million times more scummy. I'm interested to see the rational here.

Mr. Steak posted:

guys, spoonsy has been stagnating as vote leader literally ALL DAY, and the day has essentially been defined by limp attempts to change targets that dont pick up momentum. if spoonsy was town, we'd be seeing WAY more growth on his votes, not just plateauing like this. unless of course the entire scumteam piled onto one townie in the first 5 votes? basically what im saying is, spoonsy is so scum. i'm also looking suspiciously at who bumped momentum forward on me too, seeing as i'm now the only reasonable alternative to spoonsy

Good point. At this point I'm going to go ahead and ##vote Spoonsy. My preferred vote is Maigus but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Off topic: I've been listening to lofi hip hop radio - beats to relax/study to and it's really good. Check it out on youtube.

LordNad posted:

In Good Place it was JivJov's first game and he was scum rolecop, found us the doc n1 and vig n2. My past view of mafia I was inclined to cut new players slack. Not so much anymore.

loving exactly.

Anyways I'm caught up on the thread now. Sub I saw your response saying that Steak and Sandwolfs posts are different, I would 100% disagree with you. The posts were similar in that Sandwolf and Steak (and me frankly) are taking Squiggly's post at face value.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Hey I just noticed the deadline, I’m working until probably around 6CST so I won’t be able to read much of the roughly 300 posts I missed but I’ll be in and out until deadline

I don’t want to lunch my buddy pig rn

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I'm willing to vote steak too, if it looks like people want to kill someone else and it looks like that's the way it's gonna go then I'd happily change my vote.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Spoonsy (8): LordNad, LordNad, Scientastic, Mr. Humalong, Mr. Steak, dmboogie, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, merk, LordNad, DGK2000, CapitalistPig, dmboogie, SalTheBard
Mr. Steak (5): Scientastic, Scientastic, Jeabus Mahogany, Mr. Humalong, Mr. Humalong, Jeabus Mahogany, Tom Tucker, Sub Rosa, Sandwolf, Maigius, CapnAndy, b-minus1, b-minus1
CapitalistPig (3): dmboogie, Mr. Humalong, Mr. Humalong, dmboogie, dmboogie, b-minus1, Squiggly
Maigius (2): xopods, Scientastic, Scientastic, xopods, Jeabus Mahogany, LordNad, cheese sandwich, Spoonsy, cheese sandwich, Jeabus Mahogany, LordNad, xopods
Pussy Quipped (1): b-minus1, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, cheese sandwich, merk, merk, merk, merk, b-minus1
Jeabus Mahogany (1): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Nep-Nep
Mr. Humalong (1): CapitalistPig, Spoonsy, Spoonsy, Jeabus Mahogany, CapitalistPig
CapnAndy (1): Scientastic, Pussy Quipped, CapitalistPig, Sub Rosa, Scientastic, Sub Rosa, CapitalistPig, Jeabus Mahogany, Jeabus Mahogany, Squiggly, Squiggly
Nep-Nep (1): hambeet
Jose Valasquez (1): CapnAndy, Mr. Steak, Jose Valasquez, Mr. Steak, Jose Valasquez, Voodoofly, CapnAndy
dmboogie (1): Nep-Nep, Jose Valasquez, Nep-Nep, CapnAndy, CapnAndy
Sandwolf (0): Scientastic, Scientastic, DGK2000, merk, merk, DGK2000
Sub Rosa (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf
Scientastic (0): Voodoofly, Voodoofly, xopods, Sub Rosa, Sub Rosa, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, xopods
Tom Tucker (0): Voodoofly, Voodoofly, Nep-Nep, Nep-Nep
Squiggly (0): Voodoofly, Voodoofly, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
xopods (0): SalTheBard, CapnAndy, CapnAndy, SalTheBard
merk (0): Sub Rosa, Sub Rosa
Voodoofly (0): Spoonsy, Spoonsy

Not Voting (1): MisterJed

With 26 alive, it's 14 votes to execute. The current deadline is June 01st, 2020 at 6 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 36 minutes.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Really confused by that Sal vote on Spoonsy..?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This is the laziest launch I've seen in a while.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Y I K E S

##vote spoonsy

merk posted:

Ok.

##vote spoonsy

LordNad posted:

##vote Spoonsy

Less than 3 hours to deadline. I'm ok with this choice today

DGK2000 posted:

Still catching up on the thread, but the Spoonsy stuff here is absolutely ridiculously stupid.

##vote Spoonsy

CapitalistPig posted:

## vote spoonsy

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sandwolf posted:

It's called "he's likely to be lunched due to numbers at this point and I don't want to put in any effort SLASH I'm putting minimal content in so that when he flips town, I won't have to defend my vote"

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Like I get we’re an hour and a half from deadline, but you have a lot of good analysis in there, but then vote Spoonsy with a +1 on Steak’s statement but Steak’s statement has already proven to be not really objectively true. Scum don’t just rush the first person to get any attention at all.

Spoonsy
Dec 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is the laziest launch I've seen in a while.

Willing to bet cashmoneyinternetpoints that at least one of these five is scum

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Sandwolf posted:

He just managed to get himself above the lurker threshold too

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Spoonsy posted:

Willing to bet cashmoneyinternetpoints that at least one of these five is scum

Whanna do me one better and rank them in your opinion?

Also stay safe in Manhattan bud

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

Like I get we’re an hour and a half from deadline, but you have a lot of good analysis in there, but then vote Spoonsy with a +1 on Steak’s statement but Steak’s statement has already proven to be not really objectively true. Scum don’t just rush the first person to get any attention at all.

i was gonna let it slide the first time you said this, but if ur gonna keep mischaracterizing what i said, then...

no, this is not remotely what i was saying w my "momentum" post. spoonsy has been the clear vote leader for basically 3 irl days. there would be no need for a rush of any kind. what's weird is how votes plateaued over over that *long* and *slow* period of time, while discussion also kept veering away from spoonsy talk despite sill being the clear vote leader the whole time

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Anyways I'm caught up on the thread now. Sub I saw your response saying that Steak and Sandwolfs posts are different, I would 100% disagree with you. The posts were similar in that Sandwolf and Steak (and me frankly) are taking Squiggly's post at face value.
No, there is a difference in saying "for the most part I believe" which acknowledges that whether or not it should be believed is worth considering and "thats a cool ability" with an immediate vote.

Also my push happens in the context of Tom drawing the distinction between Sandwolf's and Steak's (and my own) reply's to Squiggly. Something felt off to me in Steak's responses, so I pushed, and his further responses seemed further off.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

So what are you trying to say with that?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Sandwolf posted:

this is to steak not Rosa

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

So I'm just going to apologize in advance as I'm at the computer for the first time today and there are a few hundred posts to read, not counting the fact that I only really read about half the posts earlier this weekend when I was trying to get involved. I'll do my best but I also have real work to do in between so there's no way I'll be able to read them all.

Does anyone have just a small summary of anything major I should know about? Otherwise I'm just going to look at the few voteleaders and wing it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

also ##unvote

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwolf posted:

that he's scum?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Mr. Steak posted:

that he's scum?

WHY?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Voodoofly posted:

So I'm just going to apologize in advance as I'm at the computer for the first time today and there are a few hundred posts to read, not counting the fact that I only really read about half the posts earlier this weekend when I was trying to get involved. I'll do my best but I also have real work to do in between so there's no way I'll be able to read them all.

Does anyone have just a small summary of anything major I should know about? Otherwise I'm just going to look at the few voteleaders and wing it.

Honestly voodoo, considering what you’re doing wrt all the rioting I’ll give you a full pass until D2. I’d rather our protestors have legal help than this stupid internet game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

I'll throw my vote down on spoonsy for now ##vote spoonsy

The humalong vote and reaction are the worst thing I've seen today.