Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Charles posted:

Left stick is yoke, right is look, rudder is the L & R throttle, throttle is A & B, flaps are the bumpers, etc

I can live with that until I can retrieve my x52 from storage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

Any word on whether the Steam or Microsoft Store versions of this will bet better?

Is there a solidly better platform for this game or are they functionally the same?

If you ever buy an xbox the one from the MS store will play on pc or box, that's the only difference.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Gotta be a record for most new posts in this thread ever. 200+ for me.

I'm just waiting on Steam to release without doing any Kiribati tricks. Is there a particular Discord where goons are chatting about this?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Install button just showed up on Steam :woop:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
There's definitely some pretty obvious rough spots:
* Some stuff (like the 'Basic Controls' thing) flat out doesn't work, and the game seems to choose randomly whether its assistance messages will tell you "press B" or "press DECREASE THROTTLE"
* Default settings for an Xbox controller are insane, so sensitive the plane is almost uncontrollable. I've now got my left stick at -40% sensitivity.
* The game froze on me for like 20 seconds during a tutorial
* Tutorials are uh a bit fast. And despite having all the 'notification' assistances enabled it didn't tell me I should probably enable the deicer or why the master warning was active. While landing (outside of a tutorial) it told me to 'follow instructions' but did not give me any instructions (and ATC never said anything, despite contacting them).
* After taking off from Heavens Gate it insisted I should climb to 500 feet despite me hitting 5000. When I tried to go down to 500 to see if that worked my plane got torn apart due to frame stress. So I guess the objectives list also doesn't work
* I can't find any way to update my flight plan or see a world map once loading into the world? Apparently has to be done entirely in advance and you can only search for airports (and it kept randomly deleting my search)

Suspect a lot of these issues will be fixed pretty fast, though. Maybe it's just my fault for playing the game 13 hours early. Landing at my home airport was fun

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

cool new Metroid game posted:

finished my flight through the french alps by landing on some random grass strip I found after I noticed my fuel tanks were running very low

Exactly the same

I seem to have real problems running windows store stuff at full screen, so much so I got rid of game pass

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

Why would they leave the runway hilly like this? Seems like it would have been trivial to put some fill in?

This is a very steep hillside, which this photo doesn’t show that well. It wouldn’t be feasible to level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courchevel_Altiport

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I seem to have real problems running windows store stuff at full screen, so much so I got rid of game pass
I couldn't even make variable refresh rate work in the UWP version, despite there supposedly being explicit support within Windows to enforce it. One reason why I'm going with Steam, because the proper Win32 version uses a different Direct3D initialization path/routine than UWP (something about window handles and poo poo).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i was so pissed off i couldnt download this game fast enough that i called my isp and yelled at them so much when i discovered i was on a legacy plan they pressed a button and its downloading 7 times faster. :allears:

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

ethanol posted:

i was so pissed off i couldnt download this game fast enough that i called my isp and yelled at them so much when i discovered i was on a legacy plan they pressed a button and its downloading 7 times faster. :allears:
Flight sim 2020 so good it speeds up your internet!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it's true

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

No install option for me yet on Steam :(

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Whoever's downloading at very low speed, try running this command on Command Prompt (remember to run as Administrator duh):

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Worked for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone not have access to their Deluxe/Premium Deluxe planes? The MS store definitely shows me owning the premium deluxe version, but I only have the 20 base planes available. Is there some option I have to enable or a license I have to activate somewhere?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I said come in! posted:

No install option for me yet on Steam :(

Same. ☹

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Did they add EKVG into the release or do the Faroe Islands still not have an airport?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat I'm glad I picked up this joystick on my break today, they had every joystick in the store on the 'for pickup' shelf at Microcenter and it sounds like they didn't have enough of the Extreme 3D pro for the orders they got. Picked up some more RAM because 32>16 :shrug:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Combat Pretzel posted:

Really? What time zone?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Damnit I got drunk as hell last now and now I woke up hungover and I still can’t get the Kiribati thing to work

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
accidentally done my first 9/11 lads

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone not have access to their Deluxe/Premium Deluxe planes? The MS store definitely shows me owning the premium deluxe version, but I only have the 20 base planes available. Is there some option I have to enable or a license I have to activate somewhere?

That DLC may not be available yet. Its pretty common that day 1 DLC has a very specific release time that can't be circumvented.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fuf posted:

accidentally done my first 9/11 lads

:airquote:

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Installer has crashed twice and I have to restart the entire download. Reeeeee

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Robin Cap 10 is so ridiculously light it wouldn't surprise me if it fell over during a strong breeze.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
I started the game and it initiated the mega download with the Content Manager thingie. Then after a while the program crashed with no explanation. Now when I boot it up again it shows the splash screen with a blue progress bar underneath but I have no idea if it's actually doing anything. Wow

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
G'day citizens of Kiribati :cheers:

It's weird that this is downloading through a window with the game and music. Or it's frozen. Not really sure what it is doing...

NM I think the "Browse" button to change the update folder confused it and had to close and relaunch.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 17, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I was doing so well with my Edinburgh to Tiree route...right up until a tree clipped me and I crashed. :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Download is abysmally slow. Good thing we weren't able to download this 92GB before launch day (or the day before)!

I mean, I still have work so it's probably for the best. But still.. :f5:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

where does one go to figure out the range of a certain ndb? I'm under impression the ranges can vary from like 20 nm to 200 nm. I'm planning on picking up my northcanada to greenland hop I was going in p3d and it was challenging up there because there's barely any VOR or NDB stations. Seems like in a area like that you might benefit from more than 20 nm range on your beacons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mokotow posted:

This is a very steep hillside, which this photo doesn’t show that well. It wouldn’t be feasible to level.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courchevel_Altiport

The slope is also helpful, actually, since the field is so short. The planes can use gravity to get up to flying speed faster or to help slow down in the available runway.

It does mean you can only use the runway in one direction (you would not want to take off uphill or land downhill) but there's a big mountain behind it so that's a moot point.

ethanol posted:

where does one go to figure out the range of a certain ndb? I'm under impression the ranges can vary from like 20 nm to 200 nm. I'm planning on picking up my northcanada to greenland hop I was going in p3d and it was challenging up there because there's barely any VOR or NDB stations. Seems like in a area like that you might benefit from more than 20 nm range on your beacons

VORs are line-of-sight and have about a 50nm maximum range. Try climbing if you can't pick one up. If you're down near the ground don't be surprised if you can't receive the signal until you're basically right on top of it.

NDBs have about 100nm range and can sometimes be detected over the horizon, but climbing will still help.

In remote areas you can't always be tuned into a beacon. Sometimes the best you can do is fly the outbound course until you lose the signal, then keep that heading and fly by ground reference while tuned into the next one and hope that you pick it up before you get lost

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 17, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

does anyone have the link to that post with recommended settings from the forums?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

explosivo posted:

Download is abysmally slow. Good thing we weren't able to download this 92GB before launch day (or the day before)!

I mean, I still have work so it's probably for the best. But still.. :f5:

At least you know it's downloading. All I see is this garbage.

I'll try that, thanks
vvvvvvvvv

Oceanbound fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 17, 2020

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Oceanbound posted:

Rebooting fixed that for me, and many others.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In the US, an NDB with a three letter identifier should be a medium or high power station. Anything with two digits is a locator beacon or localizer beacon, and is probably a low power station used for approach procedures.

That probably varies wildly abroad.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Google Butt posted:

does anyone have the link to that post with recommended settings from the forums?
here you go

beer_war posted:

There's a pretty great thread on the beta forums that goes in to each graphic setting, what it does and its impact on performance. As with many games, cranking everything up to Ultra isn't really worth it.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide/100734

Recommended settigns for those who can't access it:

I've been pretty happy with performance so far. Haven't tried out flying in New York yet, though. The comments about the flight school are spot on, though. It's enough to get you in the air and back down again, but not much more than that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Lol of course my local international airport (KROC) appears to be bugged to poo poo. A bunch of gates are positioned/angled incorrectly and it has no ATC frequencies.

Other smaller airports in the area have ATC, so it’s definitely not a size thing.

It is amazing though, overall. I’ve been zipping around to friends homes/workplaces and local fun spots showing off what the game can do.

One of my friends started looking at computers that are VR capable not an hour later. :getin:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oceanbound posted:

I'll try that, thanks
vvvvvvvvv

Oh nice it looks like they fixed the splash image. The beta had the same loading screen but the San Mateo bridge was rendered as a suspension bridge when it's actually a causeway :spergin:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

lmfao dude I just booted it up, set my deadzone to 10% and sens -40% across the board on my xbone controller, zoomed in on my town which was a departure point, selected the icon and flew over my house. literally zooming around in 5 minutes flat no tutorial with an xbone controller, this owns.

Sure some of the terrain is jacked, but at 400 feet there's moments where it looks real as gently caress god drat

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, now I’m stuck at “press any key to start” which is progress. Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
How are you all navigating to your houses, etc? I'd love to make a quick flight plan of a tour of my home state. Does the HUD show any of these points on the ground?

e: Steam noob / US citizen, so I don't have it yet, sorry if it's obvious.