Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

PT6A posted:

Schedules are extremely unpleasant when I'm travelling and I hate them. I can have a vague idea of poo poo I'd Like To Do, but pinning it down any further than that is hell.

This is kind of turning into the bad vacation ideas thread but I 100% agree.

When I'm on vacation, I'll have a few things I want to check out or do - pushpins on a map - but for the most part I prefer to wing it and kind of feel my way out and see what's what. Improvise. I also like to stay away from my phone and laptop too. If I wanted a regimen that was, in many ways, largely tech driven, I'd just stay home or go to work and have my life planned out for me.

I went to the Bahamas about 8 years ago and was sooooo happy when there was basically no cell phone reception there. It was kind of amazing to live for a week without constantly hearing "doop-do-do-DOOP doop" 4 or 5 times every hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Adults that make 95% of their personality that they are "Disney people" are really weird and off-putting to me. I used to know people like that and it was just bizarre. They didn't even have kids, just yearly multiple thousand dollar trips to the various parks, tattoos, etc. I get enjoying some Disney movies or being nostalgic for stuff you liked when you were a kid, but otherwise functional adults glomming onto a reprehensible company as a substitute for a personality is beyond sad.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PT6A posted:

Yes, this is arguably more artistically worthy than any NFT produced to date, even if it's pointless.

But you still shouldn't do it because it wrecks the planet.

What about if I just say that I'm going make an NF Titty, but in fact I just include a link to Wikipedia? (I.e. a Non-Secure/Fungible [Wikipedia] Token Token). I want my millions to spend playing Sabacc!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the one guy I heard it from was an English drywaller, a very dear friend but I'd not call him upper-class :v:

Is it commonly used? I know plenty of English/British people but I only ever heard one use it.

Most parents wouldn't use it but would recognize it, or know someone who did. Usually in the tired tone that parents moan about their kids to other parents with, when the kids are being inconvenient as kids do.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'll put a hand up and say that if the hotel were what they originally promoted it as, wear cosplay, walk around freely, be totally immersed, I would want to do it. (But wouldn't, because (A) I am cheap and (B) I have been in the SCA and I know that cosplay does not guarantee the ability to stay in character. I have had so many conversations about DEC while wearing 14th-century Renaissance dress.)

But. The kind of immersion I would see as worth that kind of money requires investing in people. There have to be a respectable sprinkling of actors wandering around. The videos they're trying to showcase have really minimal immersion: one bartender and a nightclub singer. There's no "whoops, just backed up into Chewbacca" going to happen, nor yet "I just got flirted with by a blue blob". This looks more like the kind of themed restaurant lunch where you're having Glinda The Good Gatorade and Dorothy's Favorite Donuts: standard food with a genre label slapped on top.

Sounds like you’re basically describing a Punchdrunk production, which are now almost impossible to see unless you’re a rich superfan since they buy up masses of tickets to see the shows multiple times in a kind of theatrical completionist frenzy.

So I can kind of understand why they’d want to tap into the crossover of these wealthy obsessive demographics

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Professor Beetus posted:

Adults that make 95% of their personality that they are "Disney people" are really weird and off-putting to me. I used to know people like that and it was just bizarre. They didn't even have kids, just yearly multiple thousand dollar trips to the various parks, tattoos, etc. I get enjoying some Disney movies or being nostalgic for stuff you liked when you were a kid, but otherwise functional adults glomming onto a reprehensible company as a substitute for a personality is beyond sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kdRdzxdZQ

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

This is just footage of a Costco.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Adults that make 95% of their personality that they are "Disney people" are really weird and off-putting to me. I used to know people like that and it was just bizarre.
Adult Fan of Disney (AFOD) is a real and terrifying subculture that *will* melt your brain

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Most parents wouldn't use it but would recognize it, or know someone who did. Usually in the tired tone that parents moan about their kids to other parents with, when the kids are being inconvenient as kids do.

Interesting. The only times I heard it was as a term of endearment, "ah, the wee sprog, she's a good one," mind you like I said, it was from a guy who probably left England in the 70s or so and was exceptionally weird even by that standard.

I guess this is one further Britishism that I should avoid using casually.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

lordofthefishes posted:

Yeah..... lot of books on old cars around the house.
Some say the 2CV was earliest. Lancia Aurelia supposedly had them standard as well.

Was mostly just amused at 1970.

My interest in old cars is the real tech nightmare here.

Citroen was basically owned by Michelin.

So yeah, the DS19 in '56 has them. The 2CV? Yep, 1948.

Note: My 1989 Miata 1000LT BICYCLE had radial tires and they were WONDERFUL.

And you can't get radial tires for bikes anymore. So sad.

They rolled easily and absorbed the bumps well.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

battlepigeon posted:

The only type of amusement park I want to visit; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqg48h_uKYM

I was hoping it was AP.

Thank you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The best vacation is when I get to just stay home and just do stuff in the area.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah but that's a bit different since most people don't live, or want to live, in the arctic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah but that's a bit different since most people don't live, or want to live, in the arctic

weirdos

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

PT6A posted:

Interesting. The only times I heard it was as a term of endearment, "ah, the wee sprog, she's a good one," mind you like I said, it was from a guy who probably left England in the 70s or so and was exceptionally weird even by that standard.

It was originally used as a negative term but like many of those in the UK, ended up being used as a term of endearment too. So it can be both depending on the context.

No idea what the person claiming its an upper class thing is on about though, I've only ever heard working class people use it although it's not very commonly used.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's one of those terms you are most like to read rather than hear. Like Boffin or Bedded or Bonk. Saying these things out loud will earn you a frown and the "did they really just say that or did I hallucinate it?" look.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

knox_harrington posted:

Just as well, if everyone did that, then the arctic would start to suck.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just as well, if everyone did that, then the arctic would start to suck.

The Arctic is going to start to suck a lot regardless, if you're a fan of permafrost and lichen and such anyway.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Given that its going to emit a lot of trapped methane, its less 'suck' and more 'blow'

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

eXXon posted:

The Arctic is going to start to suck a lot regardless, if you're a fan of permafrost and lichen and such anyway.

I'm below that line, not quite sure I can strictly call myself part of the arctic, the actual circle is a few hundred km north.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Given that its going to emit a lot of trapped methane, its less 'suck' and more 'blow'
more like the fart-tic!! :cawg:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm below that line, not quite sure I can strictly call myself part of the arctic, the actual circle is a few hundred km north.

The good news is that in some decades time our climate will resemble more that of Poland or with some extra luck maybe Hungary, it will just be lighter summers and darker winters! Like, really dark winters, no snow. It's going to be lovely!

Oh, did I say there will be light in summers? Well the forest fires across all of northern Europe from Scandinavia to Siberia will cover us in eternal smoke for the fire season, so we don't have to suffer of harmful UV radiation on our fair skins as long as there are forests left to burn.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mega Comrade posted:

It was originally used as a negative term but like many of those in the UK, ended up being used as a term of endearment too. So it can be both depending on the context.

No idea what the person claiming its an upper class thing is on about though, I've only ever heard working class people use it although it's not very commonly used.

Military, apparently

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/143624/whence-does-sprog-come

quote:

Eric Partridge, A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, Fifth Edition (1961) offers this entry for sprog:

quote:

sprog, n. A recruit: R.A.F.: since ca. 1930; by ca. 1939, also—via the Fleet Air Arm—used occ[asionally] by the Navy. H. & P. Origin obscure and debatable (see esp[ecially] Partridge, 1945); but perhaps a reversal of 'frog spawn' (very, very green) or, more prob[ably], the adoption of a recruit's sprog, a confusion of 'sprocket' and 'cog', a sprocket being, like the recruit, a cog in a wheel. In the Navy the term means an infant, 'Nobby Clark's gone on leave, his wife's just had a sprog': Granville, 1945. —2. Hence, an Aircraftman: Australian airmen's: since ca. 1939. (B. 1943.)

The reference to "Partridge, 1945" is a short citation of Eric Partridge, A Dictionary of R.A.F. Slang (January 1945). And "Granville, 1945" refers to Wilfred Granville, A Dictionary of Naval Slang (typescript, 1945). I haven't seen either of these sources.

etc

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

First time I heard the term "sprog" was in Mad Max, where it's his kid's actual name. Sprog Rockatansky.

More on topic, and this has probably come up a number of times already, but how much of the recent insane price hikes of GPUs has been due to supply chain issues versus available supply being hoarded by crypto miners? I know both are issues, but it doesn't seem like other component prices are anywhere close. Even budget cards like mine go for the price of an entire computer on their own nowadays.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 21, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PT6A posted:

No, please, as an Australian I insist you keep using it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In Mad Max their kid's literal name is Sprog lmao

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W_d4Dxntv24

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

battlepigeon posted:

The only type of amusement park I want to visit; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqg48h_uKYM

Of course it's in New Jersey

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Kaal posted:

What about if I just say that I'm going make an NF Titty, but in fact I just include a link to Wikipedia? (I.e. a Non-Secure/Fungible [Wikipedia] Token Token). I want my millions to spend playing Sabacc!

I would suggest NFTs of the Brooklyn Bridge to get even people who know NFTs are a scam to buy out of irony, though apparently John Cleese of Monty Python already did it. Then again, he priced really high so perhaps you could get by with undercutting him.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

NFTs are a Veblen Good. You have to price high to get any suckers.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Lone Badger posted:

NFTs are a Veblen Good. You have to price high to get any suckers.

I thought you were just supposed to sell it to yourself, over and over daily for ever increasing prices until some loving moron sees a golden opportunity?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://www.moddb.com/mods/nft-doom/downloads/nft-doom-a11

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How is the doomclicker going to get out of this one?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/klivdahl/status/1475220450598924297

Probably a matter of time until Alexa is causing stochastic terror attacks.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/klivdahl/status/1475220450598924297

Probably a matter of time until Alexa is causing stochastic terror attacks.

Skynet except instead of killer robot legions it's tiktok challenges

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Tesla is recalling ~500,000 cars because of lovely camera wiring and front trunks popping open while driving

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-59818800

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Recalling the same amount of cars sold this entire year, stock barely moves LOL.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Recalling the same amount of cars sold this entire year, stock barely moves LOL.

Stockmarket a joke. Water wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Crain posted:

Stockmarket a joke. Water wet.
I think there's a lot of trading done purely on sentiment which could be just as valid as any other methodology, but it's weird even in this year to see something as negative as this recall to happen and the stock not have tons of panic sellers dropping the price.