Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Clark Nova posted:

Will it still work if wahoo dot com is unreachable? A couple of years ago the app for my kickr made me create an account with the company to keep using it for calibration and firmware updates

Right, that's what I meant by static firmware -- you'd eventually be stuck with some version. Though I'd assume it's infrequently updated at this point anyways.

I guess the direct upload functionality might get taken out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kimbo305 posted:

Right, that's what I meant by static firmware -- you'd eventually be stuck with some version. Though I'd assume it's infrequently updated at this point anyways.

I guess the direct upload functionality might get taken out?

If it doesn’t sync automatically via Wi-Fi/ bluetooth to wahoo -> Strava then it’s essentially a brick as far as I’m concerned.

wooger fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 17, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I’m sure I could have done that with my 1040, but I stuck boomerlike to what I know — plugging in and copying to my computer first.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kimbo305 posted:

I’m sure I could have done that with my 1040, but I stuck boomerlike to what I know — plugging in and copying to my computer first.

You have to be kidding. You have a desktop and the garmin express app, you’re like 3 clicks from having your rides sync automatically forever.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

They’re my files! I paid for those mp3s!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Re: Wahoo, they've just been bought from the banks by the company's founder. Apparently the problem was - perhaps something we should really have thought of given how much it happened - the takeover by the equity firm put a huge amount of debt on the company that they couldn't repay.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/05/wahoo-fitness-founder-buys-company-back-from-banks.html

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

the takeover by the equity firm put a huge amount of debt on the company that they couldn't repay.

capitalism provides :patriot:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They got Toys r' Us'd

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I replaced my original Peugeot front rack, which was probably meant for carrying one light bag on top of it, to a heavy rear end Pelago Commuter rack with lowrider legs. I had basically two alternatives: keep the Peugeot and add Tubus Tara, or replace the whole front rack. Weight was about the same with both setups.

Since the original rack was quite flimsy, I thought why not replace it too. The new Pelago rack looks massive, but maybe the looks don't really matter when I load the bike with bags.

Instructions said to mount the rack in 86-90deg angle. Well seems it is a bit more, but I'm not sure how important is to to be exactly between those degrees.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Ihmemies posted:

I replaced my original Peugeot front rack, which was probably meant for carrying one light bag on top of it, to a heavy rear end Pelago Commuter rack with lowrider legs. I had basically two alternatives: keep the Peugeot and add Tubus Tara, or replace the whole front rack. Weight was about the same with both setups.

Since the original rack was quite flimsy, I thought why not replace it too. The new Pelago rack looks massive, but maybe the looks don't really matter when I load the bike with bags.

Instructions said to mount the rack in 86-90deg angle. Well seems it is a bit more, but I'm not sure how important is to to be exactly between those degrees.

Is the rac attached to the fork at all? Doesn't look like its attached to the fender either - wondering how many mounting points you have on it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Rode my new Retrospec Culver 40 minutes today. Love it mostly, but the chain keeps sleeping. The first time it fell off and got jammed, so I had the bike shop adjust it. Towards the end of this ride, it started to slip every two revolutions of my pedals. I can adjust it again, bike shop showed me how. But every ride seems like too much.

Obviously I’m far too powerful. But other than that, what could be going on?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Rode my new Retrospec Culver 40 minutes today. Love it mostly, but the chain keeps sleeping. The first time it fell off and got jammed, so I had the bike shop adjust it. Towards the end of this ride, it started to slip every two revolutions of my pedals. I can adjust it again, bike shop showed me how. But every ride seems like too much.

Obviously I’m far too powerful. But other than that, what could be going on?

It’s a new bike? Sounds like the gears are way out of adjustment if so. Take it to a different shop?
Cables do stretch on a newly setup bike over the first week or two, but it might just make shifting a little sluggish or noisy, should not cause the chain to slip. And it’s a single quarter turn of the barrel adjuster to fix.

A worn cassette can cause the effect you’re describing but that wouldn’t happen on a new bike and would be immediately spotted by any bike shop.

Is the chain slipping down into a different cog in the cassette (changing gear) or just slipping while you’re pedalling?

Just to clarify, is this slipping just a small chain clicking noise, or are the pedals suddenly jumping forward 90 degrees as though the chain has slipped off the teeth at the back?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

Is the rac attached to the fork at all? Doesn't look like its attached to the fender either - wondering how many mounting points you have on it.

It's attached to fork eyelets above the axle. There's a piece of steel attached to the brake bolt which goes through the fork crown, then that piece of steel is mounted with 2 bolts to the rack. So uhh three mounting points to the frame? I drew a picture.

Old rack was attached to the fork eyelets and in 2 places to the fender. Fender attachment wasn't very stable compared to the fork crown attachment.

I could install a longer bolt which goes also through the fender, but it didn't feel neccessary so I didn't bother with it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

wooger posted:

It’s a new bike? Sounds like the gears are way out of adjustment if so. Take it to a different shop?
Cables do stretch on a newly setup bike over the first week or two, but it might just make shifting a little sluggish or noisy, should not cause the chain to slip. And it’s a single quarter turn of the barrel adjuster to fix.

A worn cassette can cause the effect you’re describing but that wouldn’t happen on a new bike and would be immediately spotted by any bike shop.

Is the chain slipping down into a different cog in the cassette (changing gear) or just slipping while you’re pedalling?

Just to clarify, is this slipping just a small chain clicking noise, or are the pedals suddenly jumping forward 90 degrees as though the chain has slipped off the teeth at the back?

Thanks for the insight. New bike. Just slips while pedaling, pedals jump forward, then it catches and is fine for a couple revolutions. It was great after being adjusted until a couple hills where I missed gearing down soon enough. Also could have been gearing way down approaching a stop, but not pedaling immediately after gearing down, because I had already stopped.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
You should not be shifting if you aren't pedalling.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Since my ankle and knees were telling me not to hit the gym today for leg day, I hopped on my single speed and did that gravel section (5+ miles each way) that busted my rear end last year. They have indeed cleaned and re-chipsealed it. It's not the super-fine, dusty, sharp stuff I remember them using on town roads when I grew up; this is more like what we see on chipsealed rural blacktop roads in my area. It's not hard to ride on at all; both my road bike (this past weekend) and my single speed (tonight) handled it just fine.

I wasn't even wearing kit tonight. Just street clothes with cycling boxers under the shorts--not even any gloves. Speaking of...

Ergon GS1 Evo grips. My fingers didn't go numb, and my wrists and hands were fairly comfortable for the entire ride. Most importantly, they're blue, so they match my bike. These babies gave me a bigger QOL improvement than the clipless pedals and shoes I bought for the road bike, which is saying something. The factory grips were cheap-looking (and cheap) but surprisingly comfortable and functional; these are better by 1.6 rural kilometers.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

This bench says "trans rights"!

tarlibone posted:

Ergon GS1 Evo grips. My fingers didn't go numb, and my wrists and hands were fairly comfortable for the entire ride. Most importantly, they're blue, so they match my bike. These babies gave me a bigger QOL improvement than the clipless pedals and shoes I bought for the road bike, which is saying something.
+1 for Ergon grips - I've got a pair of GP5 on one and a pair of GA3 on another bike and very happy with them both, helped me also get rid of the occasional numbness.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Could this cause my issues? Haven’t ridden a bike regularly for 20+ years and never around cars, so I’m getting used to timing everything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shifting up is a bigger problem as you're introducing a lot of stretch into the cable/entire system and will need adjustment sooner as it's sitting under tension for longer periods of time

And yeah, the whole system is designed to be used while pedaling, strong agree, do not shift unless you're pedaling. Not quite as bad as putting diesel in your gas tank, but heading in that direction

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
is cyclists love coffee so much why isn't it in 1 of their 3 water bottles connected to their bike?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Turmoilx posted:

is cyclists love coffee so much why isn't it in 1 of their 3 water bottles connected to their bike?
because they are already full of caffeinated electrolytes

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ilkhan posted:

unless you have an internal gear hub :v:

the 6 gear brompton has a 2-position front ring that acts as if it's your little gears and you have to pedal to shift, and the 3-position internal hub which is your big gears and you should stop pedaling to shift. This causes me no end of confusion when switching with my regular bike

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Could this cause my issues? Haven’t ridden a bike regularly for 20+ years and never around cars, so I’m getting used to timing everything.

Definitely practice pedaling a couple cycles on the gear in which you intend to come to a stop.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Yeah, shifting while stopped won't work correctly most of the time. My wife found this out the hard way and dropped a chain or two when the pandemic forced us out into the bike paths. (It would've eventually happened to me, too, if I hadn't figured out what we were doing wrong.)

Also, avoid shifting while applying full power to the pedals. Keep pedaling, but ease off slightly, make your shift, and resume pedaling normally. I didn't know this for a long time, and I still have to remind myself. The Culver's derailleur is a Shimano Tourney, which is the 3.6 Roentgen of derailleurs. I know from experience that it performs much better when I ease up during a shift; there's less KA-CLUNK, and it's less likely to argue with me about which gear to go into.

This does mean you want to be in your climbing gear well before you're standing on the pedals, but that skill will develop as you ride more.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
yeah you know those bike build videos and the part where they show the cassette full screen shifting through gears making 0 noise and a flawless shift of gears.. just wanna know if thats how higher end group sets perform or video editing propaganda

it seems so unreal, thats the kind of thing that always makes me doubt myself after adjusting a bikes shifting when its needed

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 18, 2023

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Turmoilx posted:

yeah you know those bike build videos and the part where they show the cassette full screen shifting through gears making 0 noise and a flawless shift of gears.. just wanna know if thats how higher end group sets perform or video editing propaganda

it seems so unreal, thats the kind of thing that always makes me doubt myself after adjusting a bikes shifting when its needed

This is pretty easy to accomplish on anything beyond a Walmart bike, even easier on lower speed bikes without such tight tolerances

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

unless you have an internal gear hub :v:

the 6 gear brompton has a 2-position front ring that acts as if it's your little gears and you have to pedal to shift, and the 3-position internal hub which is your big gears and you should stop pedaling to shift. This causes me no end of confusion when switching with my regular bike

click.....CLICLICK
click.....CLICLICK
click.....CLICLICK
---
CLICLICK...click
CLICLICK...click
CLICLICK...click

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Definitely practice pedaling a couple cycles on the gear in which you intend to come to a stop.

And if you do come to a stop in the wrong gear, just hold your front brake, pitch the bike forward and pedal/shift into an easier gear with the rear tire off the ground.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

frame arrived, just as cursed of a color as in the pictures! https://imgur.com/a/3l0v7yY they call it moss green i think it was

it almost looks like a normal green in lovely lighting (photo1), but in white lighting or probably outdoors too, its lighter and impossible to match i think, my plan is orange accent parts.. orange will match a lot of future possibilities if i ever get the frame painted

never buy a green bike with yellow text unless you really like tractors but i must say, clearly colors were/are not a priority .. but i wish they were better!

the tubing near the dropouts are weird shaped butt

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 19, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
that is a perfectly cromulent color

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Turmoilx posted:

frame arrived, just as cursed of a color as in the pictures! https://imgur.com/a/3l0v7yY they call it moss green i think it was

it almost looks like a normal green in lovely lighting (photo1), but in white lighting or probably outdoors too, its lighter and impossible to match i think, my plan is orange accent parts.. orange will match a lot of future possibilities if i ever get the frame painted

never buy a green bike with yellow text unless you really like tractors but i must say, clearly colors were/are not a priority .. but i wish they were better!

Lol that link gave me the 18+ warning for some reason

Anyway nice John Deere

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Turmoilx posted:

I almost picked up this same frame last week but I stumbled upon a discounted 2022 Rove LTD that I couldn’t resist. Picking it up Saturday :homebrew:

Are you going to buy the TA dropout inserts?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

Slavvy posted:

Anyway nice John Deere

damnit :lol:

Senf posted:

Are you going to buy the TA dropout inserts?

i don't have plans to as ill be using a shimano alfine rear wheel, i don't think that hub does that, slowly going one part at a time currently though

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 19, 2023

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Turmoilx posted:

Because that would take away the excuse to stop at the cafe for coffee.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Caffeine is terrible and bad for you and coffee tastes like burnt poo poo, I look forward to my probe/ban

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Slavvy posted:

Caffeine is terrible and bad for you and coffee tastes like burnt poo poo, I look forward to my probe/ban

i, too, am a big babby who wants him pacifier

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Nice day for bikes and coffee today.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Slavvy posted:

NZ residency revoked.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
It's Bike to Work Day. It's going to be storming in the afternoon here, but I don't have to worry about the ride home because I telecommute.

I took the scenic route: down my driveway, around the block clockwise, and back up the driveway. It was about a quarter of a mile long and a slow speed ride, and a drat unleashed dog chased me into my driveway. It's a medium-sized yapper who is owned by the people a couple of houses away from mine, and it barks all the Gosh danged time at everything it sees. I've never seen it off-leash before, though; its owners are aware that it wants to confront (and not in a happy way) every moving thing it sees. Sure enough, an older gentleman with a leash and collar in his hand was chasing him, and he apologized for the pooch.

With a couple of exceptions, I generally dislike dogs a lot. People sometimes can't fathom this and ask why. This. This is just one reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

tarlibone posted:

It's Bike to Work Day.
I don't do much outdoor riding right now. I did wrangle out a route to the new job and have a nice commute for myself though. Perfect weather for it over here too. I'm glad Bike to Work Month/Week/Day exists because it was the perfect little motivation to get it done today.