Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Drones are in remote ops, which is in electronics, which you got in the same amount as science. Doesn't really matter but if you guys had like repair drones or mining bots :shrug:
Trew's understanding of geology and ecology identifies a good place to set down.

Everyone packs it in, Dan takes off smooth as silk, & just as smoothly parks the ship in a perfectly sized clearing inside the forest itself.

Every plant stretches towards the hole where the sun's coming in from. This spot of rocky soil isn't very fertile though, so even in the low gravity they simply don't have enough resources built up to close the gap. You can see a perpetual haze of evaporating water transpiring from the foliage.

In the distance, through the sun's glare, you can barely make out the trunk of the tree. It's close enough to walk to in about a half hour, as long as you don't get lost in the jungle. Ofc you can also just fly there in the car, which you might need unless you plan on dragging the thing back to the ship by hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf pops the suit locker, starts pulling out gear and chucking it on the deck. "Do we have some way to cut the trees down? I'll check the ships locker then get the raft warmed up. Figure we take three with us, leave one behind on scan with the lasers hot. It's not paranoia if they're really loving with you".

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Do we have some kind of saw or laser cutter in the ships locker? I guess we could also try pulling a tree over with the air raft.

In terms of away team, gonna randomly suggest Mykkel/Dan Janks stays behind? We could all come but I like the idea of keeping someone with the ship, and Dan is the pilot.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah you guys have the cutter tools in the workshop & i think aria has a chansaw. The locker's got sabers you could chop with.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

sebmojo posted:

In terms of away team, gonna randomly suggest Mykkel/Dan Janks stays behind? We could all come but I like the idea of keeping someone with the ship, and Dan is the pilot.

Sounds good to Dan.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aight, we load up the raft and head out, taking our time.

Gonna see a man about a tree: 2d6+2 10

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Promotional materials for the air/raft. This poster's been up in its bay for a while. Your model isn't as nice as the one in the pic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9eir6U-OJ8

gonna call it you can just get in the raft and fly without rolling not to crash if the driver has skill 0, but this roll will be needed to fly back with a whole rear end tree strapped to it. Along with some tools you remember to get the polymer wrap.
whoever's going, you all do have enough breather masks, right? If you don't have one you better get vacc suited, otherwise i'm gonna have to pull up the suffocation rules.

as you proceed into the forest it becomes apparent that this terrain is more confusing and disorienting than would be preferred.

the trees themselves are much larger than they at first appear, it's hard to get a good sense of scale. And with the gravity and atmospheric haze...

after a quick-enough flight you reach the tree you need:

You can fit it into the cargo bay if you cram it in diagonal or divide it into multiple huge logs.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 22, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

gently caress yeah, chop it, wrap it stow it. And yes we all have breathers or env suits I'm p sure

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Everyone who's going: If you don't have a breather mask roll vacc suit

Then roll something to chop. I'm calling it the bonus for the workshop tools will cancel out the low gravity difficulty, so it's a straight roll.

Then we'll chain on the 10 to fly back with it.

Meanwhile if you don't go you can screw around with the ship systems or whatever. Run some scans, turn the gravity upside down, play space chess vs the computer

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
(Honestly this seems like a demolition roll, blow up a crater underneath it big enough to sever the root system and cause the thing to fall over.)

Aria Xsdottir

Mask on, Aria scurries around and up and about the tree in the low gravity, looking for any possible place where further force might be able to drop this.

(Athletics (Dex), taking time, moving around the thing looking for the best place to put it. I guess that could be a recon roll as well but uh, in either cases, double sixes 15 :stare:)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ronwayne posted:

(Honestly this seems like a demolition roll, blow up a crater underneath it big enough to sever the root system and cause the thing to fall over.)

Aria Xsdottir

Mask on, Aria scurries around and up and about the tree in the low gravity, looking for any possible place where further force might be able to drop this.

(Athletics (Dex), taking time, moving around the thing looking for the best place to put it. I guess that could be a recon roll as well but uh, in either cases, double sixes 15 :stare:)

"OK. Stand clear."

Rolf has never cut down a tree this big before and his cuts are clumsy at first, but with the help of the extremely precise instructions from Aria it comes down all the same: Chopping it down (survival + dex): 2d6+1 6 (presuming that 15 will help make up the difference to 8)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you wanna demo the tree over & have a charge go ahead and roll it, otherwise you can chop it down normal. I'll give it a little longer and then chain em all and see how you did.

Assuming you get it chopped & wrapped what you're planning on just throwing it into the hold?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A little boom makes everything better. Gonna try and repurpose some grenades or an old blasting charge I found sliding round the tray and place them juuuust right: Bomb jack: 2d6+1 12

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

It's certainly effective, and blasting the tree only causes moderately extreme damage to the local environment. You're able to collect almost all the pieces and bundle them into several packages, this should be good for Vic. Hopefully the blast damage is low enough to not cause any problems for the local ecology -- he seemed a little more concerned about that than the tree coming back in perfect condition.

Strapping the packages to the air/raft, you're able to fly back without crashing or getting lost in the jungle. However as soon as you load them into the hold they start collapsing under their own weight -- somebody's left this thing on 1g!

Gimme a roll for engineering M-drive to adjust the grav plating in the cargo hold.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf is banging on the intercom with a gloved hand as their payday slowly crumples. "Tay! We need someone with brains down here!"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Aria Xsdottir

"Yeah we wood not know what to do here."

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

(Sorry for the extended absence; been having some household health issues and haven't had a lot of brain.)

Tayloria Hendi

"Right. Look, there's a lot of data to crunch here, and I was checking some primaries, and... oh, never mind. Let's fix this damned thing. Right, that switch looks correct..."

Grav adjustment time (Engineering 0, +1 EDU): 2d6+1 11

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Don't need to apologize.

Tay's able to set the plating to match the gravity outside, leaving the samples only slightly crushed. The polymer seal keeps em from leaking & Vic didn't seem too worried -- probably it's fine.

As long as you don't do this with the squirrels. Probably he'll be genuinely pissed if they get grotesquely murderized in the process of collection.

That's all that's left. 2 cans, 2 colau. Safe live capture is preferred, but Vic'll settle for dead ones if they're humanely dispatched. They're in this region somewhere...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

"Yeah we wood not know what to do here."

Rolf makes a :dadjoke: face.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Vic presses a few more buttons to show you guys some more holoinfo:

"Bagua trees get pretty tall, but are lightweight, almost all air chambers, and the "wood" is pretty herbaceous. Try to avoid damaging it if you can, and if you cycle the cargo hold to normal atmosphere with one of these in there it'll probably get crunched up. If you set the deck plating to standard gravity it can also get crushed. Not great, not the end of the world. Be absolutely sure to cut it above the root collar -- it should scab over quick and regrow normally, but not if the root is too damaged. We're not trying to torpedo the ecosystem here."

"Huh, ok maybe exploding the trees down wasn't what he was looking for. Oh well, a tree's a tree."

quote:

"The colau. Sometimes their fur can be much more oily than this one, or they have slightly different patterning. Arboreal amphibian, pretty much. They can get bitey if cornered, but usually prefer to rely on the warning coloration and threatening tail flips. If that doesn't work, swim or jump away. If that doesn't work, fight. Bite records usually show results similar to getting a bee sting or three. I'd say zonking them out with sleeping pills can work, but you better be sure you get the dose right if you decide to try it. Because these are live animals I've preprogrammed the cans to a few settings: the default is for storing them safely while alive, you can flip it to cryo if you instead bring back a dead one. If you expose them to normal gravity or atmosphere they're going to get hurt pretty bad. Not a good way to go." He frowns and moves on.

Rolf taps his chin. "I was gonna say we snipe one with the scoped gauss but ... Did someone have a stunner? If we dial that right down will it kill the thing or leave it breathing?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
A veterinary medicine or biology kinda roll would know. It's EDU dm.

Otherwise the complex bio data on the wafer points towards :shrug:

You could try calling Vic or something, whatever seems plausible enough will probably fly

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tayloria Hendi

Tay taps at the screen of her device. "Macrolife was never my specialty, but... let's see."

Colau capture ideas (Bio +EDU): 2d6+3 9

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Checking over the info, you're pretty sure if you can find where they hang out and spot em, then you should be able to stun them without killing em. Someone with a good survival roll could lay traps for them safely, or you could dose bait if you wanna use up the ship's meds.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Checking over the info, you're pretty sure if you can find where they hang out and spot em, then you should be able to stun them without killing em. Someone with a good survival roll could lay traps for them safely, or you could dose bait if you wanna use up the ship's meds.

Rolf is poring over the scan data. "Little guys like trees and water, yeah? I think I saw some standing water with a bunch of those on the way to the tree we just blew up, just about here?" He clicks the scroll wheel and a blinking cursor circle appears over an area.

Finding the colau cuties (recon): 2d6+1 8

"I figure we go on a quick yomp round there to see if we can spot'em, zap a couple if we can, then drop some traps near there if not. Dan, looks like you're designated gunman if you know how to use that thing, I can help find the spot. Traps will take time, but we have a day or two in hand [OOC: yes? we lost a bit of time with the sabotage but I think we're still only a couple of days in?]"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah the sabotage really hosed up a good run, I don't have my notes on hand but you're not on the last day or anything. Maybe halfway thru?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf bags up some sleeping pills into a bit of forcemeat from the supplies, putting it at the bottom of an emptied out flour tin. Three of them should do.

Making traps, taking time: 2d6+1+2 8

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Dan Jenks

"Sure, stunning 2 colau things, coming right up." Dan gets geared up and meets the rest of the group near the airlock.

"I'm sure nobody is suprised, but I'm not exactly familiar with hunting critters. So, I'm just going to follow Rolf, and shoot where and what he says to shoot."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"Alright, Tay you wanna come with? Could be we need someone with brains. Gonna keep this steady and smooth. In, find the critters, zap 'em if we can, put out traps if we can't.'

Gonna take the time on this one, using my topnotch focus and endurance to not blink and also behind the lines survival skills to stake out the area, lay our three traps and look for an opportunity to stun the beasties. We have the two crates in the back of the car.

Staking out the Colau, taking time: Survival + END +2: 2d6+2+3 15

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Alright after some consideration:

sebmojo posted:

Rolf bags up some sleeping pills into a bit of forcemeat from the supplies, putting it at the bottom of an emptied out flour tin. Three of them should do.

Making traps, taking time: 2d6+1+2 8

ok we're at 10 due to the tools aboard ship in the workshop. I'm considering making these to be a routine difficulty thing for anybody who got some survivalism, so deploying these loony toons traps will give +2 to the actual catching of em.

sebmojo posted:

Rolf is poring over the scan data. "Little guys like trees and water, yeah? I think I saw some standing water with a bunch of those on the way to the tree we just blew up, just about here?" He clicks the scroll wheel and a blinking cursor circle appears over an area.

Finding the colau cuties (recon): 2d6+1 8

"I figure we go on a quick yomp round there to see if we can spot'em, zap a couple if we can, then drop some traps near there if not. Dan, looks like you're designated gunman if you know how to use that thing, I can help find the spot. Traps will take time, but we have a day or two in hand [OOC: yes? we lost a bit of time with the sabotage but I think we're still only a couple of days in?]"

Rules, Low Gravity posted:

Environments that have a gravity of 0.7G or less (typically worlds of Size 6 or smaller) are classed as being Low Gravity. Humans tend to find life on low-gravity worlds to be initially pleasant but regular exercise regimes and medicinal supplements are required to prevent bone and muscle degradation. Those who spend too long on low-gravity worlds cannot tolerate higher gravities. Travellers on low-gravity worlds suffer DM-1 to all physical skill checks until they acclimatize, a process that takes 1D weeks. Travellers with the Athletics (dexterity) skill acclimatise within 1D days.

Seeing as you haven't been camping out outside and instead have been in the ship in standard grav I'm gonna give this a -1 due to the low gravity on the assumption that you're literally going out of the ship to look for em by walking around and seeing with your eyeballs.

So right now we got a 7 to see where they might be hanging out, +2 -1 +15-blablablablabla

It takes a long fuckin time. They're wary. The explosion, space ships flying around, they're not huge fans of this kinda thing, but

Like Vic was saying, there is some variety in their coloration and scaling. As you watch they come out to forage and climb up and down some branches, and it looks like they prefer certain routes. The perfect spots to put the traps. Which they inspect suspiciously and avoid... but Dan & Rolf keep watching from cover, and as time goes on they seem to be getting more comfortable with these foreign objects in their area. The sun remains stock still in the sky, absolutely unyielding.

If you continue waiting they could well traipse directly in and get caught. Rolf's gut instinct says that's what they'll do. But it's getting super late. You're going to be out here all "night" up to your rear end with mudferns in what is probably some kind of blood sucking arthropod pond. Moving could spook them and blow the whole deal.

--

Your options are to patiently wait and hope they get trapped, or act now to do something before you're too fatigued and start getting roll penalties. As long as you stay quiet they'll keep doing what they're doing...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Unless Dan is getting a sore rear end or an itchy trigger finger I say we wait. This is the last thing we need and we have time in hand.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

I agree, better to be patient.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You wait, and the creatures of the forest settle back into their normal routines, including some big ones that occasionally emerge from the haze before near-silently receding into the forest once again.

But they don't seem to notice anything amiss. Neither do the colau. The traps work and the critters obviously hate it, but you're able to wrangle them into the sample containment units without getting bit. The high tech systems automatically adjust the internal life support for their new inhabitants, and the readouts show they have more than enough power to keep them alive for the foreseeable future.

Whatever the big ones are, they seem leery of you and are also completely loving enormous. Unless you guys have anything else you wanna do out in the wilderness it might be a good idea to get back to the ship. While they do seem top heavy those legs are long, scaled, and the birdlike claws are obviously sharp. Plus they're clearly low-grav adapted, while none of you are. The ship's databanks have detailed info Dan pulls with his phone:

Says the "Zornap" is probably some kinda fabricated life form from when they were building up the local ecology way back when. Travel alone or in small groups. Omnivorous but lean hard towards plants. If you try to ice one of these things it'd be a pretty big offset for the cost of rations, unless you completely overkill it and blast it's bird bones to dust. Or it ends up eating you, ofc.

--

Whatever you guys wanna do out here is fine, but you've got all of Vic's samples in hand. Gimme a routine (6+) pilot check to take off and land back at the spaceport when you feel like turning in the stuff. No gotchas with the colau either, you safely store them in the cargo hold when you get back. None of the nearby life forms give a poo poo about the cans.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"Let's blow this dump. Maybe take her up real easy, we don't want to find out there's a bomb in the tubes half way to orbit."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Dan Jenks

"Everyone strap in, just in case we haven't fixed Jester as well as we think we did."

Dan takes his time in piloting his way back to the starport.

Pilot ship back to starport: 2d6+3 8

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fyi, you can skill chain whenever or even with yourself, right? So if you do end up with a real down to the wire situation it might be faster to do like a navigation > pilot or something. Flying the ship such a short distance is fast enough that it wouldn't matter much if you take extra time, but some things actually do take a bigass chunk where it might be as effective but faster to get more creative. Idk if you all will end up doing any super complex plans or anything but it's a thing you can do. A little more risky maybe, you really don't wanna crash into a spaceport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfMtqy4Gv-A

You leave the wildlife alone, and the beasts leave you alone. Pack it in, get everything secured, & take off. Hesaim tower clears you -- landing at the same pad as last time. You make it back fine, no issues, no bombs or other sabotage.

The bots get cracking, automatically unloading the samples and getting them ready to be shuttled back to Vic -- when authorized they reach in, scan for and grab only the requested items, and pack them up securely for transport back to the university. No problems. They even notify Dr. Sledj's office what's inbound and when it should arrive.

A minute later the computer chimes. Got some spacemail

/ 2701 Corridor / Hesaim / UH / FF / Sledj / posted:

jit, thanks. gimme a few hours & pop in when u get a chance, have payment ready -- vic

Which may be convenient, depending on what you want to do. The tyranny of organic life means you're feeling the stress of the job and are pretty tired. There's also this sabotage which you might look into. If you want you can throw out a generic science or admin skill to get a feel for Vic, Tay would get a boon to it and prob most of those kinds of checks, being a native. Some streetwise or something could be useful, you might wanna do like a pilot (SOC) roll to bullshit the tower for info.

But any complex stuff at all is gonna get a negative unless you wanna sleep it off. And time goes by while you're sleeping. So unless you were zonked out for the last part of the mission there's a tradeoff. You can time split what you wanna do, but if half the crew's asleep... :shrug:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fyi, you can skill chain whenever or even with yourself, right? So if you do end up with a real down to the wire situation it might be faster to do like a navigation > pilot or something. Flying the ship such a short distance is fast enough that it wouldn't matter much if you take extra time, but some things actually do take a bigass chunk where it might be as effective but faster to get more creative. Idk if you all will end up doing any super complex plans or anything but it's a thing you can do. A little more risky maybe, you really don't wanna crash into a spaceport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfMtqy4Gv-A

You leave the wildlife alone, and the beasts leave you alone. Pack it in, get everything secured, & take off. Hesaim tower clears you -- landing at the same pad as last time. You make it back fine, no issues, no bombs or other sabotage.

The bots get cracking, automatically unloading the samples and getting them ready to be shuttled back to Vic -- when authorized they reach in, scan for and grab only the requested items, and pack them up securely for transport back to the university. No problems. They even notify Dr. Sledj's office what's inbound and when it should arrive.

A minute later the computer chimes. Got some spacemail

Which may be convenient, depending on what you want to do. The tyranny of organic life means you're feeling the stress of the job and are pretty tired. There's also this sabotage which you might look into. If you want you can throw out a generic science or admin skill to get a feel for Vic, Tay would get a boon to it and prob most of those kinds of checks, being a native. Some streetwise or something could be useful, you might wanna do like a pilot (SOC) roll to bullshit the tower for info.

But any complex stuff at all is gonna get a negative unless you wanna sleep it off. And time goes by while you're sleeping. So unless you were zonked out for the last part of the mission there's a tradeoff. You can time split what you wanna do, but if half the crew's asleep... :shrug:

"I figure we can catch some winks, then go visit Vic. Tay what you reckon? We wanna scare up some info on our ecologically interested buddy? Let me know what you find, I'll be in my bunk, before we have to give it back."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Dan Jenks

"I'm going to hit my bunk as well. I'd rather be rested when we get paid. "

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
[ooc: Apologies for not posting for a week, was away dogsitting.]

Trew Pisco

"Cool. I'll grab a coffee and keep watch while the rest of you sleep. Fingers crossed for a silent night!"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
anybody who's not sleeping it off now and were just fuckin around during the mission during -- eeeh like after sorta around when they were trying to catch the colau -- you can do whatever you want without the sleep penalty. Surely you were just sleeping on the ship cause ofc the tidal locking of Hesaim makes it impossible to keep track of time unless you're really on top of your alarms.

I'll call it that when Dan & Rolf were waiting around for the traps to work (fyi i rolled for deadly space leeches, they did not roll well, instead you got the space giraffes), everyone else was snoozing and can act normally now. By the time they wake up their breakfast will be like your dinner and you can all hit up Vic together if you want. 24 standard hours, 3 watches/shifts/8h segments, right? 2 on, 1 off? Whatever, don't need to worry overly much about the fuckin HR dpt timesheets, good enough is good enough.

--

Cloud Potato posted:

[ooc: Apologies for not posting for a week, was away dogsitting.]

Trew Pisco

"Cool. I'll grab a coffee and keep watch while the rest of you sleep. Fingers crossed for a silent night!"

Gimme a roll. Like recon, electronics, hell maybe even stealth or something. How's Trew watch? Gonna try and check out port security, prod 'em a little, see if there's anything suspicious? Probe or sensor sweep? Physically look out the window for several hours? All or none of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Gimme a roll. Like recon, electronics, hell maybe even stealth or something. How's Trew watch? Gonna try and check out port security, prod 'em a little, see if there's anything suspicious? Probe or sensor sweep? Physically look out the window for several hours? All or none of these?

Trew'll take a little time to set the exterior sensors up for a proximity sweep, including external cameras, and keeping one ear out for the comms array in case any Girl Scouts come along selling cookies.

Scanning exterior of ship (Electronics 0, EDU +1, taking my time +2): 2d6+3 10