Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

hellotoothpaste posted:

The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary :(

Uncomfortably creepy art design that probably jammed my subconscious up somehow as a child. Apparently it can be downloaded from that abandonia link, but I strongly recommend against that.

fuuck, i played that one in elementary school and had no idea what it was until now

gonna have to download that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

a starwar betamax posted:

i got pretty obsessively involved in the zzt community in the late 90s as a depressed teen. put out a few games..... and i made these comics that were PUBLISHED on zzt.org

http://www.autofish.net/video_games/creation/zzt/nomad_comics.html

i could have related to these at one poi... actually i can relate to the last one now

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
"Rage of Mages" was how I spent my 1999.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rage_of_Mages

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

what does this mean???

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

to contribute to the thread i used to play a game youve probably never heard of called World of WArcraft...

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Probably around 1999-2000 I used to play this space strategy game that I really loved but have never been able to find since. It was the sort where you could colonize planets, build armies and stuff, it was hard as poo poo though and I always lost. I didn't even have the full version. :( Wish I could find it again

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

a hole-y ghost posted:

what does this mean???

i was supposed to be the kid had gone up to him asking for an autograph thinking he was the ascii smiley face in zzt... but it turns out it wasnt actually him, it was just someone...WHOI LOOKED LIKE HIM

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Probably around 1999-2000 I used to play this space strategy game that I really loved but have never been able to find since. It was the sort where you could colonize planets, build armies and stuff, it was hard as poo poo though and I always lost. I didn't even have the full version. :( Wish I could find it again

Maybe Master of Orion or Master of Orion II or Sid Meier's Alpha Centaury?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

imperium galactica?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

a hole-y ghost posted:

that was a pretty good one but i only ever had the shareware :shrug:
everyone only had the shareware for everything
my brother liked that doom 2 had 30 levels since doom 1 only had 9

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

which one of you played seven kingdoms

i played it so much even though i could only win on the higher difficulties by exploiting the hell out of game mechanics

looking back, what happeend to the RTS genre

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

:woop: Searching for imperium galactica brought me to it - it was called Fragile Allegiance ... now to see if I can play it somehow

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
I used to have this old mac text adventure where you start out sneaking into some lab through the vents and go through a portal to I think some medieval land. all I remember is that you had a laser rifle you could use at some point to shoot down a wall. ive been trying to find it forever, anyone have any idea what it is?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

yes

Tromboner
Jan 17, 2006

I didn't have a PC as a kid and Escape Velocity was fun as balls. Top down 2d space sim. They made 2 more of them, I liked the second one best. There was a pretty big modding community and the biggest and best one was called Frozen heart if I remember correctly. It was cool as balls. I always tried to conquer the whole galaxy but there were always a few worlds that had an innumerable amount of defense ships.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tromboner posted:

I didn't have a PC as a kid and Escape Velocity was fun as balls. Top down 2d space sim. They made 2 more of them, I liked the second one best. There was a pretty big modding community and the biggest and best one was called Frozen heart if I remember correctly. It was cool as balls. I always tried to conquer the whole galaxy but there were always a few worlds that had an innumerable amount of defense ships.

:thumbsup: Escape Velocity and EV: Override owned, the mods ("plugins") were great, and the community used to be pretty decent. The third one was kind of a letdown though.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Ernie's Big Splash in wonderful DOS CGA glory. I was 3 and it was cool for a 3 year old.

bet none of you fucks ever heard of it

e: thanks again, Bob Smith

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Who remembers Indianapolis 500 for DOS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD6XuvlU5N4

That, or Gorillas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncykt-YJO1M

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

was just the worst. All the more so for how bitchin' its cover art looked.

On the other hand:

was

Unlike:

Probably better known, but the

games rocked.

And yeah, Escape Velocity was the poo poo. Except for the endless grind that came of trying to conquer the loving moon.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
my sixth grade math teacher would let us play Barney carnage on his computer. he also had a glass eye he would take out so he was pretty cool dude

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

actually this game was pretty goddamn bad rear end

so was Astyanax:

really amazing music and enemies, but the controls kinda sucked and some of the situations u got in were bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Gabriel Pope posted:

Both of these owned. The first one is called Reaping the Dungeon. About ten years go i went back and completed the registered version, but it was also disappointing--it advertised like 60 levels compared to the 15 in the shareware version, but it did not add anything close to 4x as much content, so it was just a boring slog. Sadly a lot of shareware games did that. FIVE THOUSAND NEW LEVELS (that are all slight variations on the same thing, or huge empty boxes with cute names, and maybe 2 that are the same quality as the shareware levels.)

I just had a look at this... I'm surprised I've never heard of it before, since I loved those types of games back then. I'd totally buy it, but I should probably finish my copy of the first Avernum trilogy I bought a few years ago. I finished 1 and 2, but haven't gotten around to 3 yet.

I once had a copy of Moraff's Revenge that I got on a copy of Big Blue Disk in the late 80s. It wasn't a roguelike, but it did have permadeath, so I didn't ever get very far - until I discovered that if you opened the drive door before it saved your death, you could continue pretty much where you left off, since it saved somewhat frequently. I remember getting pretty far, but I don't think I ever found the Fountain of Youth.

The CRPG addict reviews it here: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.ca/2011/05/game-54-moraffs-revenge-1988.html

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

im_sorry posted:

I just had a look at this... I'm surprised I've never heard of it before, since I loved those types of games back then. I'd totally buy it, but I should probably finish my copy of the first Avernum trilogy I bought a few years ago. I finished 1 and 2, but haven't gotten around to 3 yet.

I once had a copy of Moraff's Revenge that I got on a copy of Big Blue Disk in the late 80s. It wasn't a roguelike, but it did have permadeath, so I didn't ever get very far - until I discovered that if you opened the drive door before it saved your death, you could continue pretty much where you left off, since it saved somewhat frequently. I remember getting pretty far, but I don't think I ever found the Fountain of Youth.

The CRPG addict reviews it here: http://crpgaddict.blogspot.ca/2011/05/game-54-moraffs-revenge-1988.html

I had Moraff's Entrap (yes, that's what it was called) and thought it was one of the weirdest games. I've never spoken with anyone else who played it.

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
8 Eyes on the NES.

Given to me by a friend sans manual, box, or anything remotely telling you wtf was going on. Nonetheless, I plugged away at it and beat it. It was sort of like Castlevania, you had subweapons, but the hit detection was poo poo, so it was like Demons Souls in that you couldn't just spam the attack button, you had to feint back and forth to keep from getting hit.

Years later I found out that you were supposed to play the levels in a particular order, because every boss you beat gave you a new sword that did double damage to exactly one other boss. NOWHERE in the game does it mention this, and I never lucked into attacking the right boss with the right sword. It just said "You have earned a more powerful sword"

And when you beat the boss after a long, drawn out fight, you...sat down and had a cup of tea with him, served by his skeletal butler?

Unlike Castlevania, you had a eagle companion who could fly around the room, attack enemies, and break blocks/pick up items. Apparently in two player mode, the second player can control him directly. Being a friendless loser, I learned to deploy him effectively myself.

In looking for screenshots, I found out that they did a Rom Pit on it.

The other game I loved, that not one of my friends had or has ever heard of, but was apparently big in Japan(and maybe the US out of rural bumfuck Pennsylvania), was Spelunker.

Apparently, I was a masochist when I was a kid :v:.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So there is a first game after all! Rage of Mages 2 is my favourite discount game from the bargain bin. Astoundingly fun for something with no PR, no reviews and no budget.

:woop: Searching for imperium galactica brought me to it - it was called Fragile Allegiance ... now to see if I can play it somehow
GOG has it preconfigured in a dosbox for 5$.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I had Moraff's Entrap (yes, that's what it was called) and thought it was one of the weirdest games. I've never spoken with anyone else who played it.

I looked it up, and I actually remember that game! I downloaded it soon after I got my first modem in late 1991, but it ran unplayably slow on the vintage 1986 Tandy 1000 I had at the time.

Looks like he's still around. http://www.softwarediversions.com/catalog/index.php $19 for the dungeon pack, $25 for it on CD. They don't seem to have Moraff's Entrap, though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

both very much my poo poo yeah

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've carried this one around with me for years. It's a DOS game from the early 1990s where you play as a ball or marble rolling around solving puzzles. It's definitely not Marble Madness and I don't think that it's Oxyd. I only remember that part of it involved rolling over some pink shapes and the ball would flatten them as I rolled over them, and they stayed like that the entire game.

It was really cryptic, or seemed that way at the time. I don't think I ever beat a level.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

gently caress, what a great game. The single player was all right, but the multiplayer was top-notch. The gameplay would still be fresh by today's standards. Too bad it was so overshadowed by Diablo II, and the studio that made it got bought out by EA (RIP Westwood). I really someone would go make a spiritual successor.

hellotoothpaste posted:

The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary :(

Uncomfortably creepy art design that probably jammed my subconscious up somehow as a child. Apparently it can be downloaded from that abandonia link, but I strongly recommend against that.

Haha, yeah this game gave me nightmares as a kid. Who the gently caress was in charge of the art direction? I don't think I ever got past that popcorn poo poo.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Dink Smallwood was the first bards tale tale rip off I ever played, people never heard of it around here. It was a "rpg" in the sense you can take jokes and be annoyed how over powered everything is. Also, they just remade it.

http://www.rtsoft.com/pages/dink.php

Something a lot older though was Crystal Castles, or Bear Pac-Man as my sister used to call it. loving bees in that game were unfair as hell.

Also, everyone knows about gateway to asphia right? Spend a good amount of time on that one, freeze traps always killed me though.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Temple of apshai

Seven cities of gold

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Dr Dragos Madcap Chase was this fun board game style thing that mixed racing and monopoly and had 8 player hotseat multiplayer. Or if you were like me and had no friends you could just play as all 8 yourself.

And Crystal Caves was one of the first platformers I ever played. Much fun.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

SpeedGem posted:

Dink Smallwood was the first bards tale tale rip off I ever played, people never heard of it around here. It was a "rpg" in the sense you can take jokes and be annoyed how over powered everything is. Also, they just remade it.

Ah, I remember watching my older brother play this and punch the heads off chickens. He also downloaded a custom campaign where you help the members of Milli Vanilli. Good poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not a game I grew up with, but one I played within the last 10 years is Muppets Party Cruise. Hilarious (if you like the Muppets), and mostly more fun than Mario Party.

It was developed or published by TDK, the cassette/CD people.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Goosed it. posted:

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure!

This came loaded on a computer that someone gave to my family when I was 8. It was amazing and I haven't found a single other person who's heard of it.

I loved Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure. Same situation, preloaded on some random computer. So good.

I can't remember the name of this other game, but maybe someone else will. It was a 2D plane/helicopter game where you'd control a lone fighter or helicopter or whatever and fly across a sidescrolling looped map firing your weapons at the enemy. There were limited numbers of each plane so if you crashed the one you were flying you might not be able to use it again. I'd give more detail, but I can't remember that much about it, aside from it being a ton of fun.

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Frak.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frak!

I had this on the Commodore 64. You play as a gross cavemen and you kill hosed up monsters with a yoyo.

This video is of the BBC Micro version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgiA10MfOu4

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Wrageowrapper posted:

And Crystal Caves was one of the first platformers I ever played. Much fun.

i still play cc. its real fun

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

post a video of you playing it with your face in the upper left hand corner plz ty

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

I still play it as well. Did you play the one that came out after called Agent Sam. Was fairly similar from memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Wrageowrapper posted:

I still play it as well. Did you play the one that came out after called Agent Sam. Was fairly similar from memory.

Ya I did. And I played it again a few months ago. Its not as good I dont think tgo.. the levels are kinda lame and the enemys do this goofy thing where ever time you shoot one they become the weaker version of the enemy

• Locked thread