Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Crabtree posted:

Would this be them reacting to Stardew Valley however slowly in trying to dip their toes into gay or bi characters? Even a "opposite gender of the player" is something rather than nothing.

It's been done before, in Magical Melody for GC, where Jaimie can be married by both genders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Turtlicious posted:

E2: Uh, I started playing hours ago, where the hell is all of my time going!?

The Harvest Moon experience

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Turtlicious posted:

Has anyone heard anything about Rune Factory 5? I heard the publisher still wants to make it even though the developer went under, but I'm wondering if they'll really be able to capture that charm. If they can't, what the hell am I going to play after Rune Factory 4!?

I will keep dreaming for a RF5, and that the Rune Factory team is still alive in Marvelous somewhere

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Corridor posted:

So what is this PopoloCrois: Story of Seasons thing and do I want it

It's more of a PopoloCrois game than it is a Story of Seasons game. And even then, it's basically a very straightforward rpg with no real strengths other than charm.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Corridor posted:

i looked up the mechanics for SoS and am I parsing this right? u can just perform a hostile takeover of anyone else's rented fields via challenges at any time, and if they're growing poo poo on there at the time, that's just too drat bad? and they can do the same to me? i thought harvest moon was supposed to be about building an adorable community of closeknit little communist friends. i'm not entirely comfortable with this libertarian paradise...

seriously that seems like a really good way to make u *hate* the other characters so hard

Well not at any time. Basically when their rental period is up, you can challenge each other for the rights to that field for the rental period duration. When your rental period is up, you can just renew it without fear of getting challenged. I always renewed it, so I dunno what happens if you don't do anything when the period's up. Also it's really easy to take over every field. The real problem is having the stamina to water every field everyday in the first year.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah there's a lot of things you can jump on that has a chance of dropping things. I don't remember all of them though and it tends to be a low drop rate

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Aerofallosov posted:

I wonder if the TLV people announced the new one in response to Trio of Towns.

It's kinda weird considering they haven't released their planned Wii U/PC one yet, and now they're going back to competing directly with Marvelous with a new 3ds one.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Story of Seasons is 19.99 digital right now so I bought it.

If I recall correctly, it is the true Harvest Moon, and the games that actually have that name are shovel ware usurper crap?

Is story of seasons a new franchise or just the group's first farming Sim without the HM name?

Story of Seasons is the original franchise, branded with a new name cause Xseed/Marvelous doesn't own the rights to the name Harvest Moon.

Natsume started developing their own Harvest Moon games since they lost the distribution rights to the original franchise.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cake Attack posted:

hasn't marriage been in harvest moon for forever

Yeah. The ones without marriage are the outliers, mostly cause of limitations as in the GB ones, or they were experimenting, which were the ps2 ones I think. Socializing with villagers is basically one of the big staples of the series.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Have you given her better equipment yet? That usually helps a little.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That is a good set of pets available to choose from.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

And More posted:

I've been playing A New Beginning, and I've finally unlocked the mine. I was really hoping for this:

Only to find out that it's just more glorified tree stumps. Now it seems I'm gonna have to spend a full month just pressing A in front of those stupid rock formations before I can make any meaningful progress. :cripes:

The game just feels like such a grind. Is there anything that's gonna change that?

Not really. ToTT and onwards in the series is a lot more chill about pacing. I think savescumming works for mining though if you really need those mats right away. But yeah, relax and build your town and farm to be as pretty as you want.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Turtlicious posted:

Where do I go now that I've finished Rune Factory 4? I specifically liked the "tame a monster, collect it's drop, make it farm your wheat" aspect.

Rune Factory 3.

Otherwise, you're outta luck till Marvelous resurrects the Rune Factory series

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

And More posted:

So, since the crops in A New Beginning are coming along nicely, I figured I'd try to get my cows and sheep up to snuff. Turns out getting them to max level requires me to hang out at the Animal Sanctuary, which requires me to put down the game for five minutes, and wait until the ingame day is over. I guess it's endgame content in the sense that I walk away from the game, get distracted by something more fulfilling, and don't ever play the game again. :crossarms:

I think you can just leave the sanctuary. Either way, the game gives you an hour just for sending them there, so sending them there 50 times will eventually get you that great quality milk.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

And More posted:

The hours I spend there count towards those 50 hours, though, right? Leaving seems kind of pointless considering the game immediately ends that day. I might as well get it over with. :shrug:

Yeah, you have to stay there to get those hours unfortunately. I'm not a fan of that mechanic since there's not much to do there. At least they slightly improved it in SoS by adding a mining node, and pond to fish in so you can kill time there while your animals are grazing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh good. Now if only they'll bring back actual mines instead of these lame mining nodes... Alternatively the Rune Factory team gets absorbed into SoS's team and we get all of RF's improvements, and Rune Factory 5!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is that even possible? I thought whoever made the RF games went bankrupt.

They got absorbed by Marvelous, so it's possible they could pursue reviving Rune Factory. Rune Factory costumes were added into Trio of Towns on Rune Factory's anniversary, so they still remember it at least.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Being able to do all that within your first week of farming sounds very broken, even with the newer SoS games being very relaxed.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Stardew Valley isn't even easily available in Japan yet. I heavily doubt it's influencing a Japanese studio that's generally more focused on their Japanese audience

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I don't remember if you could walk on crops yet in Sunshine Islands. It was one of the later games that removed that limitation of blocking you from the middle crop and just let you walk on crops. I don't recall any that messed with crop quality for walking on them though. I half-suspect Rune Factory 3 did it first with letting you walk on crops and then it was brought back into the main series.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sage Grimm posted:

Grand Bazaar is the one you're thinking of. It's a weird version where you can run or walk based on a toggle and running wrecks crops. The only reason you'd walk otherwise is to catch bugs.

Ah, I skipped that one since it seemed very non-typical and I heard mixed things about it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jimmybob posted:

Didn't Natsume just localize grand bazaar?

Yeah, Marvelous are the main developers. They were in a transitory period on DS too I feel, since I think their staff got shuffled up I think, with the former leads focusing on their console games. Grand Bazaar was the directorial debut for Takahiro Yura, I believe, and he's been in charge of the series ever since. Which you can see with how everything's been pretty consistent and iterating from Tale of Two Towns.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fun Times! posted:

Got Trio of Towns from GameStop and it came with a little stuffed critter :)

The stuffed critters are the main things I miss from not buying physically anymore.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The thing is, Story of Seasons had lots of variable dialogue too. The main problem being if you followed a set routine, you usually talked to villagers in the same spot and time, so they'd usually say the same thing about that particular area or activity they're doing. Rune Factory 4 was good at this by making what villagers say more dynamic and not set in stone wherever. Dunno if Trio of Towns has adopted RF4's dialogue system yet though since I haven't started my copy yet.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Haven't played enough to notice repeating dialogue yet, but I like that villagers greet you, or have some kinda dialogue when you walk by them so that's nice.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MotU posted:

when does stamina start to feel a lil bit better, or am I meant to just be ramming food down my gullet constantly? I'm only in Summer 1 but I still basically wipe out 60%+ of my stamina just watering the fields you start with in the morning.

You get a heart after every Farming tip, 1 for getting every village to Rank A, and 1 more for getting married, for a maximum of 10 hearts. There's food effects that can slow down your stamina usage as well.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

So seriously, is the only way to get lumber is to buy it or chop it down on your property? Because I've already chopped the trees on my property down.

Also, what do I upgrade on my hammer to get rare items?

Effectiveness

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I find myself saving a lot of things in general in Trio of Towns, moreso than usual since I figure it'll pop up in a part-time job, so I don't ship everything right away.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Fru Fru posted:

You can also buy the fertilizer maker eventually which makes it essentially free but it takes a while to produce. Right now I'm fertilizing everything because money is already trivial. I actually think I should have chosen veteran instead of seedling.

I chose veteran just because I assumed there would be time-gates, might as well not shorten the grind to give me something to do. Didn't expect the higher stamina usage though, so that's something for me to work around.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Trebuchet King posted:

I never made it as far as marriage or victory in Story of Seasons; should I "finish" it first or just dive right into the new installment?

Just go with whatever you feels better to you, unless you need to save money or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah I love RF3. A RF3 with RF4's improved mechanics and bigger world would be perfect.

• Locked thread